The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #1901
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
How long until Phillip Lindsay is as big and strong as Adrian Peterson was as a Freshman at OU?? I think he would have been alright in the pros. So do a lot of people.
Thereís more to it than just size. Come on now. Letís not ruin college football like college basketball, mmmkay? Also Lawrence is a QB, which is nothing like a RB.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #1902
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Thereís more to it than just size. Come on now. Letís not ruin college football like college basketball, mmmkay? Also Lawrence is a QB, which is nothing like a RB.
I'm not advocating for ruining anything. It'll never happen because the players union would never go for it. I just think certain dudes shouldn't have to stick around making college's money when they could start cashing in themselves. I think if the committee determines you'd be a Top 3-5 pick, something like that.

Lawrence would be the #1 pick in the 2019 draft if he was allowed to declare. You really think team's would pass on him because of his age? If the Broncos had the #1 pick this year and 19 year old Trevor Lawrence was eligible and you had control over who the Broncos picked you would say no?
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #1903
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Adrian Peterson: I could have gone from high school to the NFL
Quote:
"Not to sound cocky or anything, or confident, but yeah, I do feel like I could have came out my senior year of high school and played in the NFL," said Peterson, who is listed at 6-feet-1 and 220. "I really do. And I'll just say this, people were like 'Well, physically you just weren't ready.' I came in my freshman year and I was up for the Heisman, had a pretty good season, was the leading rusher."
Quote:
"And there were guys that went in the league that year [2005], like Cedric Benson, I felt like my freshman year I should have won the Doak Walker Award, but they gave it to him ... I feel like I was a better player than him. And so it's like, 'I'm a true freshman, and if Cedric can go in [to the NFL] and play, then why couldn't I do it?'"
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #1904
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Lawrence is free to go into the military and sign over his life to the government but If he wants to go in the NFL...whoa whoa whoa! There’s a lot more to it and he wouldn’t be able to handle it. Riiiight.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #1905
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's basically already happened with Amobi Okoye. Forgot about him.

Adrian Peterson among few who could make leap from high school to NFL

Quote:
Hall of Fame running back Jerome Bettis, who played for the Rams and Steelers from 1993-2005, believes he could have played fullback in the NFL straight out of high school. "I was already 240 pounds coming out of high school," he said. "I already had the size and speed to do it.Ē

In an informal survey of 10 league scouts and personnel executives this week, the position said to offer the best chance for a player to make the prep-to-pro jump was running back. Those football evaluators put Peterson and Hall of Fame running backs Eric Dickerson and Walter Payton among the few players who could have made the leap. Also named were Hall of Fame tackles Anthony Munoz and Bruce Matthews and former Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Eric Swann. A two-time Pro Bowl selection in his career, Swann did not play college football and was the sixth pick of the 1991 draft, four months before his 21st birthday. After attending Wake Technical Community College in North Carolina, Swann played for a semi-pro team called the Bay State Titans.

Gary Kubiak was Houston Texans head coach when the team made 19-year-old defensive tackle Amobi Okoye the 10th pick of the 2007 draft. Okoye had moved from Nigeria to Huntsville, Alabama, as a 12-year-old. After just two weeks in middle school, as Okoye told the story at the 2007 scouting combine, he tested into high school. He was a student at the University of Louisville at age 16, playing 13 games as a true freshman. He was drafted into the NFL less than two months before his 20th birthday and is believed to be the youngest player selected in the draftís modern era.

"He was a very mature young man, he had no problems socially with the team," said Kubiak, now Denver Broncos head coach. "That was not a problem. As a matter of fact, it turned out to be a positive. Because he was so young, people all around the team went out of their way to make sure he was doing OK because they knew he was so young." No longer in the league, Okoye struggled with injuries and other health issues during his career and was released by the Dallas Cowboys in April.

Kubiak didnít say the jump couldnít be made from high school, noting "it depends who the player is,Ē but said it was highly problematic because of the physical demands of the league.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #1906
SoonerBronco
Rocket Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wahoo McDaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
This has to go down as one of the worst coaching moves ever!

Oklahoma fired Brent Venables in favor of Mike Stoops as the defensive coordinator. Oklahoma has the worst defense in the nation and Clemson might be the best ever.
Brent left. It was sad...he was the only defensive coach that was out recruiting hard. Jackie Shipp had Checked out, Bobby Jack Wright was old and thus old school. He couldn't get the type of players on defense like they did in the early 2000's and it was showing.

At Clemson, he gets those guys and it shows. He was never the problem at OU despite the moronic fan base we have that blames everything on coaching. Our DBs are 5-10 180lbs, and can't cover. They also play 10 yards off the ball to try and help them out. It's a talent issue on the defensive side of the ball that has plagued OU.
SoonerBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #1907
SoonerBronco
Rocket Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wahoo McDaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post

Peterson is a once a generation guy. I mean, he's 33, had two knee injuries and is STILL out running defenses in the NFL. I remember him doing box jumps with 80lb dumbbells in his hands when he was at OU. He was and still is, a freak of nature
SoonerBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #1908
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
Yeah, he will be the number one can't miss next year. Best one since Luck coming out of college.

Someone is going to suck for sunshine.
I said last year when he declared that I hoped Denver was in a position to get him when he goes to the NFL. Glad to see him doing so well.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #1909
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I said last year when he declared that I hoped Denver was in a position to get him when he goes to the NFL. Glad to see him doing so well.
Denver has almost no chance of getting him though.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #1910
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Attached Images

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #1911
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

NDSU won again. Hehe.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #1912
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #1913
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Dan Enos is Miami OC (deal didn't go thru with Applewhite)
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #1914
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Dan Enos is Miami OC (deal didn't go thru with Applewhite)
Upgrade.
IndelibleScribe is online now   Reply With Quote