The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #76
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
I thinks itís been 33 years since I played Oregon trail. I remember always playing it in computer class in 2nd grade.
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Oregon_Trail_The_1990

This website has loads of old school games.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #77
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
I thinks itís been 33 years since I played Oregon trail. I remember always playing it in computer class in 2nd grade.

I remember we could do Oregon Trail II after we did our keyboard exercises (FINGERS ON HOME ROW!). We were marched into a completely different room with 25 computers and we only had an hour before the next class had their scheduled time.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #78
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

"Come with me if you want to live."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

My Xbox 360 finally crapped out on my. Should I get the Xbox 1 or PS 4?
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #79
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

FEAR THE FRO Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I love my Xbox 1. PS5 is coming out fairly soon
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #80
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
I would go PS4. Right now, it just has more exclusives on it that I care about.

Spider-man, MLB The Show, God of War, The Uncharted Series, The Last of Us 2 (Coming out this year sometime)

I have both and Xbox One and a PS4. Last generation, I would generally go with the Xbox 360 version of the game over the PS3 version. This generation, my Xbox One has been gathering dust.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #81
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
PS4 for the exclusives.

The PS4 is about 80% of the way through its life cycle. I imagine the Xbox X One Scorpion 2 Y Banana or whatever is probably about the same. Should expect new consoles holiday season 2021. Until then, its about which one has the exclusives and in this particular generation its Sony.

It's been mentioned, but God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, InFamous: Second Son (gonna be honest, not my favorite. I preferred Cole to Delsin as a protag), Until Dawn, The Last of Us Remastered, The Last of Us 2, Ratchet and Clank are stunning games and I know Im missing some.

Even the non-exclusive games like RDR2 is pretty amazing. Of course all of this is about your personal preference and how you play and the games you choose to spend time on. Are you a more Xbox guy normally?

Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #82
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #83
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Flip side is the Xbone will play your old games. Or most of them.

Something to consider.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #84
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Thanks guys.
Yeah, definitely PS4 for the exclusives. They've really blown xbox out of the water on that front.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #85
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

What are Xbox vs. PS4 network channels like?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #86
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
What are Xbox vs. PS4 network channels like?
I've never really used either before but it sounds like Xbox's is superior. Just going off of what I've heard. That could be wrong. Sony's exclusives, for me, shift things pretty far in favor of the PS4, though. Some of the best games I've ever played have been Sony exclusives from the last 1.5 generations.

Are you mostly a SP or MP gamer?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #87
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
I've never really used either before but it sounds like Xbox's is superior. Just going off of what I've heard. That could be wrong. Sony's exclusives, for me, shift things pretty far in favor of the PS4, though. Some of the best games I've ever played have been Sony exclusives from the last 1.5 generations.

I'm not much of a game player at all. Hell I'm still playing my Madden '09. Just to blow off steam every once in a while. I've been looking over the specs. I like the back library playability of the Xbox. But I found out that PS4 has like 10X the market share.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #88
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'm not much of a game player at all. Hell I'm still playing my Madden '09. Just to blow off steam every once in a while. I've been looking over the specs. I like the back library playability of the Xbox. But I found out that PS4 has like 10X the market share.
I would take a look at some of the games for each. If the multiplatform Call of Duty, Madden, Battlefield, etc appeal to you, especially if you play a lot of multiplayer, then xbox would probably be better. Xbox will have slightly better specs and probably better MP. The backwards compatibility is cool, too, if you think you might go back and play some older games.

Then take a look at some of the games Archer mentioned. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Dark Souls/Bloodborne, etc. These are some of my all-time favorites. If those interest you, then I would go PS4. Keep in mind you can still play those multiplats on PS4 and have the option to play all of those exclusives. Until Xbox proves me wrong, I'm going Sony all the way from here on out.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #89
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I would take a look at some of the games for each. If the multiplatform Call of Duty, Madden, Battlefield, etc appeal to you, especially if you play a lot of multiplayer, then xbox would probably be better. Xbox will have slightly better specs and probably better MP. The backwards compatibility is cool, too, if you think you might go back and play some older games.

Then take a look at some of the games Archer mentioned. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Dark Souls/Bloodborne, etc. These are some of my all-time favorites. If those interest you, then I would go PS4. Keep in mind you can still play those multiplats on PS4 and have the option to play all of those exclusives. Until Xbox proves me wrong, I'm going Sony all the way from here on out.
Thanks. It'll be something I think about before I put the hammer down on one of these consoles.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #90
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Thanks. It'll be something I think about before I put the hammer down on one of these consoles.

Sports games wise, I don't think either console has a fantastical edge. So at that point it would be coin flip or personal preference.

Should be Sony. But I'm horribly biased. If you do go PS4, God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon:Zero Dawn are must buys. Those are ridiculous.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #91
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

They're starting to lose ground when looking at the future though.

Microsoft has some potential technological advantages going forward with their new compatibility forever model. Their experience with DirectX gives them the chops to pull it off better than anyone.

Sony no longer has a hardware advantage. And pissed a lot of the world's most popular game's fans off with the cross-platform shenanigans. Further indicating their willingness to use exclusivity punitively.

Lots of people aren't rooting for Sony anymore like they were when Microsoft was ****ting the bed.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #92
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
They're starting to lose ground when looking at the future though.

Microsoft has some potential technological advantages going forward with their new compatibility forever model. Their experience with DirectX gives them the chops to pull it off better than anyone.

Sony no longer has a hardware advantage. And pissed a lot of the world's most popular game's fans off with the cross-platform shenanigans. Further indicating their willingness to use exclusivity punitively.

Lots of people aren't rooting for Sony anymore like they were when Microsoft was ****ting the bed.

Well Sony doesnt have a hardware edge now. The Pro is not as revved up at the One X is. And the gap between the two was not so tilted in Sony's direction at launch, either. I also doubt there will be some lingering anger towards Sony's next Playstation for not immediately doing cross platform on the PS4. They did allow it eventually. For a free game.

Sony learned quite a bit from their PS3 stumble. They will probably carry those lessons over to the PS5/whatever. If cross platform is the worst thing to happen to Sony in this last console generation then they will probably be fine. Same formula, repeat with 4k/8k graphics and what other else electronic wizardy that will fit in the box.

I am a little excited for microsoft next generation though. They spent a lot of time at E3 telling us about their future plans and how they are spending money buying studios or creating studios to make exclusive games for the next Xbox. Point of consoles should be games, not create a single device capable of handling every single media entertainment option. That is the lesson Microsoft appeared to have learned.

I'm also thinking if Cross platform is the future, what console you pick wont necessarily matter if you are a MP person. Which then makes the choice come down to the console's individual exclusive games. Nintendo has a great library, Sony has a great library. Both are proven with their exclusive titles. Microsoft is different. They do have older exclusive titles like Halo and Gears, but they don't have the existing lineup of exclusives to use as a tent pole for the next gen. And backwards compatibility wont be some ace that Microsoft has in their pocket in the future. The PS3 had backwards compatibility for the first half of its run. There is nothing that says they can't or wont do it for the PS5.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #93
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Well Sony doesnt have a hardware edge now. The Pro is not as revved up at the One X is. And the gap between the two was not so tilted in Sony's direction at launch, either. I also doubt there will be some lingering anger towards Sony's next Playstation for not immediately doing cross platform on the PS4. They did allow it eventually. For a free game.

Sony learned quite a bit from their PS3 stumble. They will probably carry those lessons over to the PS5/whatever. If cross platform is the worst thing to happen to Sony in this last console generation then they will probably be fine. Same formula, repeat with 4k/8k graphics and what other else electronic wizardy that will fit in the box.

I am a little excited for microsoft next generation though. They spent a lot of time at E3 telling us about their future plans and how they are spending money buying studios or creating studios to make exclusive games for the next Xbox. Point of consoles should be games, not create a single device capable of handling every single media entertainment option. That is the lesson Microsoft appeared to have learned.

I'm also thinking if Cross platform is the future, what console you pick wont necessarily matter if you are a MP person. Which then makes the choice come down to the console's individual exclusive games. Nintendo has a great library, Sony has a great library. Both are proven with their exclusive titles. Microsoft is different. They do have older exclusive titles like Halo and Gears, but they don't have the existing lineup of exclusives to use as a tent pole for the next gen. And backwards compatibility wont be some ace that Microsoft has in their pocket in the future. The PS3 had backwards compatibility for the first half of its run. There is nothing that says they can't or wont do it for the PS5.

Sony's protectionism isn't just Fortnite though. They were forced to concede there due to Epics market power.

Sony's still blocking cross play elsewhere. And going into the next Gen, if they don't completely admit surrender on that approach, gamers will go in knowing the only way to ensure cross play access will be to look elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #94
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Sony's protectionism isn't just Fortnite though. They were forced to concede there due to Epics market power.

Sony's still blocking cross play elsewhere. And going into the next Gen, if they don't completely admit surrender on that approach, gamers will go in knowing the only way to ensure cross play access will be to look elsewhere.

Could be a generational thing, but I dont see a great number of gamers hashing out the benefits of a console and then allowing the deciding factor to be whether or not they can play the same game at the same time as other people on other consoles. It used to be more about people they actually know, the consoles they buy and the way they like to play games.

And as of 2 days ago, the list of cross platform games (including consoles) was a whopping two. Fortnite and Rocket League.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...latform-games/

Old 01-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #95
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Could be a generational thing, but I dont see a great number of gamers hashing out the benefits of a console and then allowing the deciding factor to be whether or not they can play the same game at the same time as other people on other consoles. It used to be more about people they actually know, the consoles they buy and the way they like to play games.

And as of 2 days ago, the list of cross platform games (including consoles) was a whopping two. Fortnite and Rocket League.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...latform-games/

Not sure that's accurate. I find Roblox annoying, but it's pretty popular with kids. It essentially doesn't exist on PS4 because they wouldn't allow cross platform. My understanding is they won't allow it for Minecraft either.

Just because they finally broke down and conceded on probably the biggest title ever made doesn't guarantee future customers anything on other titles that might interest them.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #96
gob1gred
Grinder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

PS4 > Xbox
gob1gred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #97
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Not sure that's accurate. I find Roblox annoying, but it's pretty popular with kids. It essentially doesn't exist on PS4 because they wouldn't allow cross platform. My understanding is they won't allow it for Minecraft either.

Just because they finally broke down and conceded on probably the biggest title ever made doesn't guarantee future customers anything on other titles that might interest them.

Sony did say its a complete policy shift, when they announced they would allow it for Fortnite. They always allowed cross-play with hand held devices, just not other consoles. Eventually, Minecraft and other mp games would have console to console cross play on Sony.

And kids today are weird, man. A buddy of mine is dating a girl he knew from highschool and her sons are all about watching people play Fortnite on YouTube. They play some themselves, but they prefer to watch twitch streams.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #98
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Sony did say its a complete policy shift, when they announced they would allow it for Fortnite. They always allowed cross-play with hand held devices, just not other consoles. Eventually, Minecraft and other mp games would have console to console cross play on Sony.

And kids today are weird, man. A buddy of mine is dating a girl he knew from highschool and her sons are all about watching people play Fortnite on YouTube. They play some themselves, but they prefer to watch twitch streams.

Yeah, I think it would be smart for Sony to break from the past because cross play's going to be considered a much bigger feature going forward. I haven't heard an official announcement beyond accommodating Fortnite though. Probably too little too late for this gen. Not too many developers will want to bother at this point.

And I've seen the same from my kids and their friends. It is a strange phenomenon. Not sure what's driving it. Almost like there's so much gaming out there they need pros now to condense it down to the highlights.

Or maybe it's attention span. I know they wouldn't have the patience for some of the crap we played through back in the day.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #99
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #100
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Yeah, I think it would be smart for Sony to break from the past because cross play's going to be considered a much bigger feature going forward. I haven't heard an official announcement beyond accommodating Fortnite though. Probably too little too late for this gen. Not too many developers will want to bother at this point.

And I've seen the same from my kids and their friends. It is a strange phenomenon. Not sure what's driving it. Almost like there's so much gaming out there they need pros now to condense it down to the highlights.

Or maybe it's attention span. I know they wouldn't have the patience for some of the crap we played through back in the day.

I think cross-play in itself is not a deal breaker. If it becomes an industry standard, playability and portability across multiple platforms, than the cost for Playstation Plus, Nintendo Switch and Xbox Live will go up. It will have to to support the infrastructure needed to get 200 million people (estimated fortnite player base) to play. It could effect the cost of MP based games as well for the same reasons.

I think its mostly the attention span. I've also noticed a weird attachment to their phones. The phone is a lifeline for them. They get serious depression of their phones die and they dont have access to their chargers.