The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #26
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Keep up with my PT exercises. I slid on them over the holidays and recently jumped back in a couple weeks ago.

Other than getting the kids to where they need and attend all my community meetings all my goals are music related.

1) Piano - I have spent the start of the year working on memorizing some short easy pieces. There is a Beethoven Waltz that I had to learn in college which I have always loved, Fur Else of course, and I want to work through the Ana Magdalena book by Bach. I have also spent lots of quality time working on the Hannon book with a Metronome. It had the side benefit of strengthening my hands for the Guitar. Problem is I can't sit long enough to practice the way I really need to every day.

2) Guitar - I have plateaued here need to memorize a couple more pieces. Have the same issue about being able to practice on a day where I feel good enough to do it. I need to dust off the electric, I can't play with a pick the motion my arms make inflame my nerve damage so I need to teach myself to play electric with finger pick tech, it is just that I don't have any time frame set to this. The side effect of me practicing 2 instruments is that my high schooler has been practicing her Trumpet longer and more frequently. A perfect example of leading by example paying off.

3) Harmony - I have a bucket list of working through every exercise in the Piston Harmony book. My guitar teacher opened me up to working every guitar exercise. I in the past I had teachers on Organ and Trumpet and harmony who only made me do an exercise here and there but I noticed by doing every last stinking one on every stinking page makes a huge difference and wanting to write music I wanted to make sure I understood it all. I have slacked off on this as it takes a lot of time and I am doing it without instruction, the Piano is one thing but working out the chord and leading tones while staying in the rules without some one to check my work is challenging. Also since it is isn't playing an instrument and more writing it is hard to get into the zone and get that zone high. You are working what some one tells you to do and it isn't a creative output. I count it as my sudoku or word puzzles as it does keep my brain sharp when I do a lot of them. It has been weeks, once the kids sports kick back up in the next week I will have more time to work on this as I do them while watching them at practice.

4) Composition - I am going through my old stuff I wrote on an ESQ-1 and a drum machine and making sure they are in my DAW and working as they should. The ESQ used a tape backup and sometimes the midi timing gets thrown off. Then I went through as I added gear and tried to change them and it made everything a mess so I am sorting out all that without a lot of notes. Always keep NOTES if you record anything musical! I have a couple new songs I am happy with that need some polish and new drum tracks, that just takes a ton of time to program a Roland R-8 to sound like a real kit drummer would play and not a drum machine though I love the TR sound card I have in it and use too much. I also want to get more out of the synths I have and brought the manuals out and looked them over, I forgot a lot over the years. I have to write a couple new arrangements for my daughters band friends to play over the summer, I host a group of them at the house and I lead them in playing for an hour a week then let them hang and do teen things for the rest of the afternoon. It has been a big hit but could be their last year as a lot of them have started picking up summer jobs. I need big blocks of time for all this which are hard to come by considering I have to recouperate after doing any of the above and or driving or going to a meeting or running errands. If I get 2 hours of productivity a day it was a winner I hit a wall at the 3-4 hour mark then I need a full day to recover.

5) Reading - Just keep a book in the line. I am also studying a book on lyric writing that has been collecting dust. I picked up a book in our library used book sale about right brain creative thinking and started that too. I remember it being a big deal back in the 80's and since it was a $1 I picked it up. I don't know how much of it has changed in the last 30 years but my dreaming has been more active and I have been more creative than normal but a lot of that could be that I am in a productive upswing with the rest of the above. A lot of what the author talks about is now called Mindfulness but she uses mandalas as well. I did Bio feedback in the 80's for migraines but the costs added up and I had to stop before I could control the needle. I think this will get me to do more Mindful meditation which could also help with the chronic pain. When it gets real bad I do try the mindful tech but I need to do it when it isn't bad to prevent it. I have a pile of Lit I want to read next. It is nice to learn something new every day.

Ideally I would release another CD of original songs I could hand out to family and friends (hard to do when you have a crappy singing voice) and write a couple serious chamber pieces. Ives started in his 50's no reason I can't do the same.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #27
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I had a Glengoyne 18 year tonight! And some Japanese styles.
I have some catching up to do then. 🙂
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #28
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
What school are you enrolled in for your MBA?
Chadron State College.

Price was right for me justify graduate education. I currently live in state. And lastly, the classes are taken linierly in 8 week sessions, so I only have one class at a time. Extremely important for my life. My whole job is juggling 30 ďjobsĒ a day.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #29
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Sacked View Post
Just not looking hard enough
Not looking at all
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #30
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Keep up with my PT exercises. I slid on them over the holidays and recently jumped back in a couple weeks ago.

Other than getting the kids to where they need and attend all my community meetings all my goals are music related.

1) Piano - I have spent the start of the year working on memorizing some short easy pieces. There is a Beethoven Waltz that I had to learn in college which I have always loved, Fur Else of course, and I want to work through the Ana Magdalena book by Bach. I have also spent lots of quality time working on the Hannon book with a Metronome. It had the side benefit of strengthening my hands for the Guitar. Problem is I can't sit long enough to practice the way I really need to every day.

2) Guitar - I have plateaued here need to memorize a couple more pieces. Have the same issue about being able to practice on a day where I feel good enough to do it. I need to dust off the electric, I can't play with a pick the motion my arms make inflame my nerve damage so I need to teach myself to play electric with finger pick tech, it is just that I don't have any time frame set to this. The side effect of me practicing 2 instruments is that my high schooler has been practicing her Trumpet longer and more frequently. A perfect example of leading by example paying off.

3) Harmony - I have a bucket list of working through every exercise in the Piston Harmony book. My guitar teacher opened me up to working every guitar exercise. I in the past I had teachers on Organ and Trumpet and harmony who only made me do an exercise here and there but I noticed by doing every last stinking one on every stinking page makes a huge difference and wanting to write music I wanted to make sure I understood it all. I have slacked off on this as it takes a lot of time and I am doing it without instruction, the Piano is one thing but working out the chord and leading tones while staying in the rules without some one to check my work is challenging. Also since it is isn't playing an instrument and more writing it is hard to get into the zone and get that zone high. You are working what some one tells you to do and it isn't a creative output. I count it as my sudoku or word puzzles as it does keep my brain sharp when I do a lot of them. It has been weeks, once the kids sports kick back up in the next week I will have more time to work on this as I do them while watching them at practice.

4) Composition - I am going through my old stuff I wrote on an ESQ-1 and a drum machine and making sure they are in my DAW and working as they should. The ESQ used a tape backup and sometimes the midi timing gets thrown off. Then I went through as I added gear and tried to change them and it made everything a mess so I am sorting out all that without a lot of notes. Always keep NOTES if you record anything musical! I have a couple new songs I am happy with that need some polish and new drum tracks, that just takes a ton of time to program a Roland R-8 to sound like a real kit drummer would play and not a drum machine though I love the TR sound card I have in it and use too much. I also want to get more out of the synths I have and brought the manuals out and looked them over, I forgot a lot over the years. I have to write a couple new arrangements for my daughters band friends to play over the summer, I host a group of them at the house and I lead them in playing for an hour a week then let them hang and do teen things for the rest of the afternoon. It has been a big hit but could be their last year as a lot of them have started picking up summer jobs. I need big blocks of time for all this which are hard to come by considering I have to recouperate after doing any of the above and or driving or going to a meeting or running errands. If I get 2 hours of productivity a day it was a winner I hit a wall at the 3-4 hour mark then I need a full day to recover.

5) Reading - Just keep a book in the line. I am also studying a book on lyric writing that has been collecting dust. I picked up a book in our library used book sale about right brain creative thinking and started that too. I remember it being a big deal back in the 80's and since it was a $1 I picked it up. I don't know how much of it has changed in the last 30 years but my dreaming has been more active and I have been more creative than normal but a lot of that could be that I am in a productive upswing with the rest of the above. A lot of what the author talks about is now called Mindfulness but she uses mandalas as well. I did Bio feedback in the 80's for migraines but the costs added up and I had to stop before I could control the needle. I think this will get me to do more Mindful meditation which could also help with the chronic pain. When it gets real bad I do try the mindful tech but I need to do it when it isn't bad to prevent it. I have a pile of Lit I want to read next. It is nice to learn something new every day.

Ideally I would release another CD of original songs I could hand out to family and friends (hard to do when you have a crappy singing voice) and write a couple serious chamber pieces. Ives started in his 50's no reason I can't do the same.
No goofballs? Led Zeppelin and a mirror?
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #31
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

A long time ago I learned this song on the piano. May even still be able to play it.

hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #32
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I want to retire by 45 y/o. It looks doable.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #33
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
Chadron State College.

Price was right for me justify graduate education. I currently live in state. And lastly, the classes are taken linierly in 8 week sessions, so I only have one class at a time. Extremely important for my life. My whole job is juggling 30 ďjobsĒ a day.
What are you emphasizing in and what do you want to do with it?
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 AM   #34
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I have some financial and savings goals I have for this year and next year. I have goals in dividend income I want to hit this year and next year also.

I want to build the savings back up to a point where when the super hot housing market in CA starts to burst because of tax changes and/or a recession, I will have enough for a down payment on a nice 4 BR house without having to liquidate my investments. I'd like to purchase in a year or two.

My dividend tree is rolling along and I don't want to kill that golden goose to finance it. I could do that right now if I wanted to but it isn't worth it. Plus, right now, I need prices to drop a good 20%. I'm simply unwilling to pay massive prices for an ordinary house when all the tax benefits of owning it were taken away.
Unfortunately thatís the going rate. I was looking for two years and the prices just kept skyrocketing.

Housing isnít going to drop in LA, thereís a housing shortage and itíll be a huge problem in the next few years with population growth. Itís only going to continue to climb with limited availability.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #35
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
What are you emphasizing in and what do you want to do with it?
No emphasis. Just an MBA. Currently Iíve got a pretty good resume and I want this to set it over the top. My wife graduates with her doctorate in May of next year. At that point Iíll leave a sweet gig and weíll relocate. I want to be extremely picky with the job I take. (Tons of vacation, I want to be almost completely removed from sales and focus on operations, etc.)

Essentially I know Iíll be getting a new gig in the not so distant future so Iím trying to be proactive and set myself up for success.

Plan B. Wifey makes enough that I can work 20 hours a week at fed ex or ups morning shift and start my own company (in which case mba knowledge hopefully helps)

Plan C. Dab my toes in the finance sector (love the market, just canít commit to wearing a suit everyday)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #36
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Get all my money into TIPS and Real Estate before the next bubble blows.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #37
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Iíll tell you my goal, man. Two chicks at the same time!
This took too long to get to
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #38
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Newly Retired:

1. Stop getting sucked into that rat hole of a WRP forum
2. Not make a single meaningful life decision for the next 6 months after 28 years of corporate servitude
3. Decide in 6 months if any life decisions need to be made yet
4. Exercise or at least move daily
5. Find a purpose that is in some way service to others in addition to Boy Scouts
6. Deepen friendships with those that are important and hopefully make some new ones
7. Support the oldest in getting through college and launched into his career
8. Giude the youngest in getting through high school without being hooked on drugs or alcohol
9. Only 7 and 8 really matter
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #39
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Unfortunately thatís the going rate. I was looking for two years and the prices just kept skyrocketing.

Housing isnít going to drop in LA, thereís a housing shortage and itíll be a huge problem in the next few years with population growth. Itís only going to continue to climb with limited availability.
It will drop when there's a recession and/or interest rates get closer to 5%, 24. Wages can't support these prices regardless of demand. If most people are priced out of the market, some will just leave the state.

There will be a window of opportunity. There always is. These things move in cycles. I'm gonna keep saving so when it comes I'll be ready.
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #40
Meck77

It actually makes sense imo not to share your goals with anyone.

https://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sive...urself/up-next
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #41
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
No goofballs? Led Zeppelin and a mirror?
All of the above is accomplished while on goofballs.

I should put learning the solo to Heartbreaker and borrowing my wife's compact on my list.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #42
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

I only have one goal this year....

Learn and destroy the BBD Poison Video Choreography..... I have to think there is gonna be a time in my life knowing it and immediately going crushing it will separate me from the group....
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #43
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

scio me nihil scire

Try to remember my passwords.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #44
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I only have one goal this year....

Learn and destroy the BBD Poison Video Choreography..... I have to think there is gonna be a time in my life knowing it and immediately going crushing it will separate me from the group....

Never... Ever... Trust a Big Butt and a Smile. Goal in itself.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #45
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
No emphasis. Just an MBA. Currently Iíve got a pretty good resume and I want this to set it over the top. My wife graduates with her doctorate in May of next year. At that point Iíll leave a sweet gig and weíll relocate. I want to be extremely picky with the job I take. (Tons of vacation, I want to be almost completely removed from sales and focus on operations, etc.)

Essentially I know Iíll be getting a new gig in the not so distant future so Iím trying to be proactive and set myself up for success.

Plan B. Wifey makes enough that I can work 20 hours a week at fed ex or ups morning shift and start my own company (in which case mba knowledge hopefully helps)

Plan C. Dab my toes in the finance sector (love the market, just canít commit to wearing a suit everyday)
Nice plan. Most MBA programs have a core set of classes you have to take (ie everyone must sit through accounting) but eventually you have electives. So if you program doesnt define an emphasis, then your electives is for all intents and purposes that.

I recommend the Finance angle... that is what I did. There are not many others that added a lot of value from my POV. Accounting, operations, are also decent. But there are also fluffy ones that people who take come out and honestly water down the degree because just did it to get the paper and really didnt grow through the program.

Anyway back to finance. There is likely a somewhat painful course that is a grind of calculating out securities, etc, but there should be other classes that are more thought provoking and application of principle.

I really enjoyed the capital budgeting class which was tailored into something where you present formal reports like you were a consultant. The way it was setup was super challenging. And it really tied together all of the MBA program concepts into one. It was my favorite class.

There was also a small portion of one class that looked at Behavioral Finance. I liked that so much I have studied that more on my own. Would have loved a full course on it but digging around I only see that with MS degrees.
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #46
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
It will drop when there's a recession and/or interest rates get closer to 5%, 24. Wages can't support these prices regardless of demand. If most people are priced out of the market, some will just leave the state.

There will be a window of opportunity. There always is. These things move in cycles. I'm gonna keep saving so when it comes I'll be ready.
Rates are going to rise but I donít see it making a dent or curbing home prices. Thereís a massive shortage of homes and demand is extremely high. As I noted earlier, there are forecasts that the population of the Los Angeles area will grow by at least a million people in ten years. Thereís also no overbuilding or over lending

Bottom line, itís gonna be a long wait for anyone looking for a steal of a deal on a home in SOCAL.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #47
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Newly Retired:

1. Stop getting sucked into that rat hole of a WRP forum
2. Not make a single meaningful life decision for the next 6 months after 28 years of corporate servitude
3. Decide in 6 months if any life decisions need to be made yet
4. Exercise or at least move daily
5. Find a purpose that is in some way service to others in addition to Boy Scouts
6. Deepen friendships with those that are important and hopefully make some new ones
7. Support the oldest in getting through college and launched into his career
8. Giude the youngest in getting through high school without being hooked on drugs or alcohol
9. Only 7 and 8 really matter

Yup, that's one of my goals also. It truly is such a huge waste of time. I made 1 post there in past month and that was just to express compassion to Dom over his friends losing their child. I really wish the OM would just get rid of that section to be quite honest.

My other goals are:

1) keep expanding my business. Going well so far.
2) No less than 5 days in the gym weight training. I slacked off big time last year so I've only missed 4 days in the gym since Jan 1st.
3) Play way way more golf. Want to get in 50 rounds this year. I'm at 5 rounds since Jan 1st.
4) Meet a decent lady, one that's not a stripper, hahahaha (ok, I had to put that joke in there before somebody beat me to it, because you damn well know somebody was going there, lol).
5) Take a trip to CO and MI this year to see friends. Trips to San Diego and San Francisco to see family.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #48
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yup, that's one of my goals also. It truly is such a huge waste of time. I made 1 post there in past month and that was just to express compassion to Dom over his friends losing their child. I really wish the OM would just get rid of that section to be quite honest.

My other goals are:

1) keep expanding my business. Going well so far.
2) No less than 5 days in the gym weight training. I slacked off big time last year so I've only missed 4 days in the gym since Jan 1st.
3) Play way way more golf. Want to get in 50 rounds this year. I'm at 5 rounds since Jan 1st.
4) Meet a decent lady, one that's not a stripper, hahahaha (ok, I had to put that joke in there before somebody beat me to it, because you damn well know somebody was going there, lol).
5) Take a trip to CO and MI this year to see friends. Trips to San Diego and San Francisco to see family.

Where else can you go and treat other human being like complete and utter **** and waste hours of the workday- I might consider a goal of spending more time in tha section, itís a riot reading that crap.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #49
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
Never... Ever... Trust a Big Butt and a Smile. Goal in itself.
Itís th guiding principle in my life, gotten me this far...
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #50
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
Nice plan. Most MBA programs have a core set of classes you have to take (ie everyone must sit through accounting) but eventually you have electives. So if you program doesnt define an emphasis, then your electives is for all intents and purposes that.

I recommend the Finance angle... that is what I did. There are not many others that added a lot of value from my POV. Accounting, operations, are also decent. But there are also fluffy ones that people who take come out and honestly water down the degree because just did it to get the paper and really didnt grow through the program.

Anyway back to finance. There is likely a somewhat painful course that is a grind of calculating out securities, etc, but there should be other classes that are more thought provoking and application of principle.

I really enjoyed the capital budgeting class which was tailored into something where you present formal reports like you were a consultant. The way it was setup was super challenging. And it really tied together all of the MBA program concepts into one. It was my favorite class.

There was also a small portion of one class that looked at Behavioral Finance. I liked that so much I have studied that more on my own. Would have loved a full course on it but digging around I only see that with MS degrees.
Great advice, I appreciate it. I can definitely look to my undergrad and see the 80/20 rule on classes/applicable knowledge. Hell, 80/20 is probably generous.

At that point in my life it was just get through and get that piece of paper. Use every tool in the box to make sure you knew which "fluff" classes to take, work as little as possible, and figure out how to most easily get a degree. At this point in my life, I want to sway that 80/20 in the opposite direction as much as I can. I want my ROI. I want to learn, I want applicable knowledge. Funny what getting old does to you.