The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #151
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Right, but best case scenario with a guard is that you have one of eleven players on the opposing defense blocked consistently, and it will almost never be their best pass rusher. Meh.
That's a little dismissive. The best case scenario is you have a guard who can put one pass rusher on lock down thus allowing double teams anywhere else along the line that you might need. You get two lock down blockers then you've got the beginnings of flat out imposing your will on another team's front 7. Because if you can put two OL on an island with another team's front you can run chips, double teams, counters, zones all manner of good **** in the running game. In the passing game opponents now have to either dedicate an extra rusher or two to get numbers to generate pressure. the fact our front couldn't consistently stop 4 man rushes was a key element to the failure of our passing game. Getting pressure with 4 is a DC's wet dream. And should a defense blitz you've now got one or two guys who will pick it up which allows your blocking scheme to focus resources elsewhere along the front.

Nobody with a great OL has ever had a losing record. That's a stat that I just made up that one of you internet geniuses can go ahead and google for me.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #152
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

And considering the defenses and pass rushers we have in the division OL starts to make some more sense.

Counterpoint to that, where are we on the Chubbster? Throw Chubb in there with our defensive front and now you've got, possibly, two guys you have to double team on any given play or they go full on human highlight reel on you week in and week out.

Pressure fixes a lot of gaps in the No Fly Zone. 3rd and long? Doesn't matter. You need 3 seconds for your receivers to get into their routes at that yardage and you're only going to get 2 seconds in the pocket before VonChubbster is in your lap ****ing up your day.

According to RaiderH8r's stat book, having two dominant players in your front seven, to quote Martha Stewart, "is a good thing".
Old 01-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #153
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
And considering the defenses and pass rushers we have in the division OL starts to make some more sense.

Counterpoint to that, where are we on the Chubbster? Throw Chubb in there with our defensive front and now you've got, possibly, two guys you have to double team on any given play or they go full on human highlight reel on you week in and week out.

Pressure fixes a lot of gaps in the No Fly Zone. 3rd and long? Doesn't matter. You need 3 seconds for your receivers to get into their routes at that yardage and you're only going to get 2 seconds in the pocket before VonChubbster is in your lap ****ing up your day.

According to RaiderH8r's stat book, having two dominant players in your front seven, to quote Martha Stewart, "is a good thing".
Chubb would be a much better pick than Nelson. DE >>>> G in terms of value to a team. The issue is we don't run a 4-3 which is what suits Chubb best. I think he can play OLB too though.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #154
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Chubb would be a much better pick than Nelson. DE >>>> G in terms of value to a team. The issue is we don't run a 4-3 which is what suits Chubb best. I think he can play OLB too though.
I do enjoy watching Nelson play. That dude has solid power and his footwork, base, quickness, and motor are hard to deny. The guy stonewalls pass rushers, picks up twists, delayed blitz, and other games with ease. His head is always on a swivel and he likes to drag his nutbag over defender's heads after he's pancaked them. A classic OL move.

Chubb is a tremendous athlete with great speed and deceptive size. He doesn't look 275 but even if he clocked in at an official 260 he's still lean and fast. Could stand to get stronger but that'll come with NFL experience (same for Nelson) and conditioning. My concern with Chubb is this; is our coaching staff going to tell him to bulk up to play down in a 3-4 or tell him to lose weight to play OLB? In essence, would they **** him up by fundamentally restructuring his playing style to fit the scheme? Because the guy's natural talents are enough to build around. Let offenses pick their poison between him and Von and coverage becomes a lot easier when you know the other team's QB is going to end up on his ass most of the game.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #155
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
I do enjoy watching Nelson play. That dude has solid power and his footwork, base, quickness, and motor are hard to deny. The guy stonewalls pass rushers, picks up twists, delayed blitz, and other games with ease. His head is always on a swivel and he likes to drag his nutbag over defender's heads after he's pancaked them. A classic OL move.

Chubb is a tremendous athlete with great speed and deceptive size. He doesn't look 275 but even if he clocked in at an official 260 he's still lean and fast. Could stand to get stronger but that'll come with NFL experience (same for Nelson) and conditioning. My concern with Chubb is this; is our coaching staff going to tell him to bulk up to play down in a 3-4 or tell him to lose weight to play OLB? In essence, would they **** him up by fundamentally restructuring his playing style to fit the scheme? Because the guy's natural talents are enough to build around. Let offenses pick their poison between him and Von and coverage becomes a lot easier when you know the other team's QB is going to end up on his ass most of the game.
I really appreciate Nelson as a player. I just don't see the value there for a guard, no matter how good he is. As far as being concerned about our coaches ****ing up rookies, I have that fear with anyone and everyone we pick. We have the worst coaching staff in the league right now.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #156
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
I really appreciate Nelson as a player. I just don't see the value there for a guard, no matter how good he is. As far as being concerned about our coaches ****ing up rookies, I have that fear with anyone and everyone we pick. We have the worst coaching staff in the league right now.
To be fair, that was last year's coaching staff. We've got a whole new crop of position coaches to judge this season. The fact that Olivo is on staff in Chicago already puts them at a HUGE advantage for ****tiest staff in the league.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #157
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Greed is good

Only way you **** up Chubb is doing to him what they did to Walker.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #158
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Now that you mention it, we cooooouuuuld use another wide receiver...
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #159
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Could you imagine Chubb and Von together? Ray cleaning the $h!t up and getting scraps here and there. Or Roquon....
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #160
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Now that you mention it, we cooooouuuuld use another wide receiver...
We really need a TE so....we could roll out the lethal combo of Butt-Chubb
Old 01-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #161
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
We really need a TE so....we could roll out the lethal combo of Butt-Chubb
The Chubby Butt offense. Unstoppable.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #162
champhalloffamer
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I take Barkley or Chubb if available at 5 if we get QB in free agency. They wont be so i would trade out for a team chasing a QB. I like Oline Brown, McGlinchey and Nelson or i am liking the look of Davenport if we trade back to 10 or 12. The dude has that Malik Jackson size coming out and he also has that nasty like Malik. He could play 5 tech in our base and he could play DE or DT in our sub package. He has questions about is motor but Bill Kollar could really mold that that kid into a beast. The word is he is flying up teams draft boards.
champhalloffamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #163
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Su'a Cravens

Nelson vs Chubb is an interesting debate.

Nelson- You'd have two interior guys in Leary and Nelson who you dont need to help for in pass protection. Can slide protection to either T spot whichever is weakest.

Chubb- Not sure he'd be there but Chubb and Von gives me a Chubb lol. I've seen alot of Chubb, he's not on the Clowney, Von, Myles Garrett type FREAK athlete but he's one hell of a player.

If they secure Cousins in free agency, Chubb would be an incredible pick, he is great.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #164
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
or he bulks up 10 pounds and plays on the line. Either way, he's real talented and could make use of that pass rushing skill
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #165
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
or he bulks up 10 pounds and plays on the line. Either way, he's real talented and could make use of that pass rushing skill
I don't really see Chubb as good fit at 3-4 DE. I mean he could probably do it, but I think a lot of what makes him an elite edge player would be lost there.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #166
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I don't really see Chubb as good fit at 3-4 DE. I mean he could probably do it, but I think a lot of what makes him an elite edge player would be lost there.
I guess I see him more as a complete player, but one who could easily beat guards and tackles. I think, at his talent, he can do both. In regards to the broncos, might be better to maximize the overall talent by kicking him inside. But on passing downs it won't even matter cuz he can line up like a normal 4-3 DE then too. I'm cool with either way
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #167
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Theres a lot of talk over on the reservation about losing Kirk and some hypotheticals.
https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/1/29/...john-elway-nfl

Quote:
Denver would get Kirk (and his $34m tag), while the Redskins would get Talib and his $11m 2018 salary.
The teams would swap draft picks, with the Broncos getting the 13th pick and the Redskins getting Denver’s 5th overall. The Redskins might have to throw in a Saturday pick to even things out, but I imagine that a 30-year-old QB in the prime of his career has more trade value than a 32-year-old cornerback, so I’m not sure how much value the Redskins would have to add to move up the 8 spots.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #168
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Theres a lot of talk over on the reservation about losing Kirk and some hypotheticals.
https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/1/29/...john-elway-nfl
$34m tag for Kirk Mother****ing Cousins?
Old 01-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #169
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Su'a Cravens

5th pick and Talib for Kirk, 13th and a mid round pick.

I'll pass on that.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #170
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

I reaaaallly want to know what ShaneFalco knows about all this.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #171
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
$34m tag for Kirk Mother****ing Cousins?
Dude.
Quote:
The Broncos would immediately sign a new long-term deal with Kirk, replacing his one-year contract and allowing them to lower his 2018 cap hit and secure his services for several years.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #172
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
5th pick and Talib for Kirk, 13th and a mid round pick.

I'll pass on that.
Don't shoot the messenger. You know damn well Elway will have to do a little wheelin and dealin to get him.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #173
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Dude.
That deal better be in place and agreed upon beforehand. If so, it makes sense, but isn't at all exciting.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #174
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Nelson is going to have an immediate impact on the team. Chubb won't play nearly as many snaps, unless you think he is going to take over as a starter right away on the team. I highly doubt it.

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #175
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nelson is going to have an immediate impact on the team. Chubb won't play nearly as many snaps, unless you think he is going to take over as a starter right away on the team. I highly doubt it.
Yeah, he would be plug and play day 1....