The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I seem to remember Kenwood making tiny 8 and 10 enclosures specifically to fit under certain seats. I could've sworn they were all ported to help tune the lower frequencies, but it's been way too long.
Very well could have been. I've always driven 4-door sedans, so it was the trunk for me when I had systems.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #27
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Very well could have been. I've always driven 4-door sedans, so it was the trunk for me when I had systems.
Yeah, me too. But I was always talking to other guys about their stuff, and helping install and whatnot, which got me exposed to other stuff I never owned, like those bass tubes, bandpass boxes and underseat stuff. Even one of those gimmick rumble pack transducer things that first came out many years back.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #28
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
nice... Alpine is great as well. There is a reason why they cost so damn much.

JL W6 were meant for a sealed enclosure. I am not sure on the Type R. I always fabricated my boxes using 3/4" mdf, but i think it will sound tighter using 1" mdf.

if you're not looking to get loud and care about quality and limited on space, maybe get the JL W7. A single W7 will sound almost as good as two W6.
Wow, that thing is a beast. It requires quite a lot of airspace for a sealed enclosure, 1.5 cu. ft. I'll bet is sounds incredible.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #29
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:
Personally I'd think about a couple of these before going through all the headache of custom enclosing one 10.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KSC...-KSC-SW11.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109BAS...assPro-SL.html

Assuming you have seats they'd fit under.

I think at this point it is more about something to do, ie the build/ planning that anything else.... lol, this is what happens at 40 with no kids and little responsibility in life... my wife thinks I've lost my ****, but truth is i just like building stuff and working with my hands....
Old 06-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

oh, its a 2003 Honda CRV btw. Its an old, not very cool vehicle, but I figure nobody will think there is anything in that car if hidden well, except for the tweets on the door panels I guess. So I have the whole rear cab and wheel well to work with...

I've been thinking about getting into rebuilding old muscle cars as well... I don't know a thing about engines, and I have to think the tools i'd need are substantial, but something like tearing apart and old vehicle and fixing up really interests me....

Last edited by B-Large; 06-18-2018 at 02:26 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #31
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Yeah, me too. But I was always talking to other guys about their stuff, and helping install and whatnot, which got me exposed to other stuff I never owned, like those bass tubes, bandpass boxes and underseat stuff. Even one of those gimmick rumble pack transducer things that first came out many years back.
Damn, I forgot about those.

I might get back into it when my kids get older.

Someone else will have to run the wires though!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #32
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I think at this point it is more about something to do, ie the build/ planning that anything else.... lol, this is what happens at 40 with no kids and little responsibility in life... my wife thinks I've lost my ****, but truth is i just like building stuff and working with my hands....
Oh cool. Then there are definitely worse things.

I was just talking to one of my old friends a month or two ago about how nobody really does much with car audio anymore, and how new cars make it damn near impossible with how enmeshed the audio system has become with modern cars' other functionality.

Almost looking forward to having some teen drivers with ****ty old vehicles in the house that are old enough to still have the stereo swapped out.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #33
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

I always go with Harman Kardon. Just love their sound.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #34
Pul2Eject
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T F'n D

My Porsche has a Blaupunkt
Pul2Eject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #35
4Horsemen
Ring of Famer

Just put it in the ole turkey hole!

Just throw a pair of real tubes from your sound system cira mid 80s and rig them to your audio system. Put on Metallicaís cover of The Wait, crank it to 10, and itís like Lars is playing the kick drums against your seat.
4Horsemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #36
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
I've been thinking about getting into rebuilding old muscle cars as well... I don't know a thing about engines, and I have to think the tools i'd need are substantial, but something like tearing apart and old vehicle and fixing up really interests me....
That's one of my bucket list things. I want to get a 68-72 corvette and modernize the engine, drive train, breaks ect and keep the interior and exterior as close to factory as possible.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #37
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
That's one of my bucket list things. I want to get a 68-72 corvette and modernize the engine, drive train, breaks ect and keep the interior and exterior as close to factory as possible.
i think the taking apart would be easy, its the other direction that is so daunting....

I love old Corvettes- any of those old cars that make that grumbling sound I would be perfectly fine with... I guess learn the basics, them keep chugging along?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #38
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

Quote:
Wow, that thing is a beast. It requires quite a lot of airspace for a sealed enclosure, 1.5 cu. ft. I'll bet is sounds incredible.
I heard it at some competitions. A guy had like 10 of them in a van that is covered with dynamat. Felt so bad for the guy with the microphone. He was in the van trying to get the best reading. I was kinda sponsored by the audio place who ran the competition (I refused to put their log on my dodge stealth) and they would ask me if I would get the readings. Screw that, I donít get enough free crap for me to get in that van. That van was sponsored by JL audio
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #39
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

HoFer

If you want the best sounding/get the most out of whatever subs etc you buy. Go with an Alpine head unit. Head unit is the most important part of a good system in my opinion and you can't go wrong with an Alpine.

I always liked Kicker's Solo Baric L7 for a sub/s. Pay attention to ohms. Some subs are 2 or 4 or higher? The higher the ohms the more powerful your amp will need to be.

I don't have to worry about none of this though since my 2017 Ram has an Alpine system already installed
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I have a custom unit in my truck and it's perfect. Sub box made custom to fit behind the back seat, amp under the seat. It's a tight base, which I like, I hate the distorted sloppy and slow base. The only thing I am unhappy with is my deck. It was great 3 years ago but the touch screen just doesn't feel as responsive as it once used to be. When I replace that, hopefully I can find a modern looking double din deck with buttons and not touch screen.

Funny thing, the company that installed it put some sorta switch in the front to allow the deck to play video while driving. I don't know why they even did that, he told me it was illegal, but they did it anyway. All for nothing though, I haven't watched a single video on that thing, moving or parked, lol. I do love my USB drive though, got my 256GB USB drive loaded up. I just wish the deck had some sorta feature to let you create playlists instead of hunting through all the folder for certain songs.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #41
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Rock/ Pop/ some Hip Hop, but older stuff... its kind of varies...
I'd go with a nice pair of tens. They hit better and faster. Then ones I have in my wifes almost hit as low as 12" anyways. Voice speakers I would go with the MTX yellow line. They are less and I think sound way better + they are water proof. Subs. I disagree on Alpine , they are over priced ****. As for the sub I would go with Kicker solo baric . Expensive but amazing. Never can go wrong with JL either.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #42
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I would love to redo my 2002 BMW 325i's sound. I don't need the big subs but a nice amp and new head would be nice. I still use CD's so I would love one with a CD player, I don't listen to the radio much.

I sorta hate putting money into a car that old but I don't plan on selling it, just afraid of the engine blowing after putting all that money into it. My friend had an old Audi he also loved, pulled the trigger on the sound system then had a rash of repairs and ended up selling it. He had it for almost 15 years, that was 7 years ago, he is now on his 3rd car, he still regrets selling the Audi.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #43
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
I haven't seen Alpine in so long, I couldn't even tell you. Although aftermarket in general is getting to be a relative rarity.

Back in my day, brand was usually split by whether you were a stereo shop guy or a DIY'er. Alpine was very much the stereo shop brand.
Eclipses were nice eventhough back in the day you had to have a separate amp to push the component speakers because the head units only had RCA outputs.

They also had a weird security system for a time that used a CD of your choice as a "key" when it was first installed. If your battery died or the if the HU was disconnected from the constant wire (stolen), you needed that CD to unlock the HU. Otherwise, it was bricked. I never had that particular model, but one of my friends had one. His security CD was Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money. Lol
Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #44
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

Quote:
Eclipses were nice eventhough back in the day you had to have a separate amp to push the component speakers because the head units only had RCA outputs.

They also had a weird security system for a time that used a CD of your choice as a "key" when it was first installed. If your battery died or the if the HU was disconnected from the constant wire (stolen), you needed that CD to unlock the HU. Otherwise, it was bricked. I never had that particular model, but one of my friends had one. His security CD was Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money. Lol
you make it sound like it was a bad thing to only have preouts.

Eclipse higher end models would only have preouts. The preouts on the eclipse HU weren't just preouts, but they were 6v preouts. This helped reducing the whining noise generated from the alternator.

Eclipse lower end HU did have a built in amp for your highs. Even though it was their lower end models, those amps were powerful. There 4x30W blew away anything out there that boast crazy numbers like 4x150W. Eclipse measured their wattage at RMS while companies Pioneer, Sony, Clarion measured everything at 100% distortion.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #45
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Eclipse higher end models would only have preouts. The preouts on the eclipse HU weren't just preouts, but they were 6v preouts. This helped reducing the whining noise generated from the alternator.

Eclipse lower end HU did have a built in amp for your highs. Even though it was their lower end models, those amps were powerful. There 4x30W blew away anything out there that boast crazy numbers like 4x150W. Eclipse measured their wattage at RMS while companies Pioneer, Sony, Clarion measured everything at 100% distortion.
I don't remember any reputable brand that didn't RMS rate their output.

And pretty much every head unit available was stuck making around 25 watts RMS per channel just because of the limitations of a 12v 4-ohm environment.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #46
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #47
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

Quote:
I don't remember any reputable brand that didn't RMS rate their output.

And pretty much every head unit available was stuck making around 25 watts RMS per channel just because of the limitations of a 12v 4-ohm environment.
I remember owning Sony HU an Pioneer boasting 100w per channel.

I only remember 3 companies that was considered the best. Alpine, Eclipse and Pioneers high end division. Anyone remember the brand name of the high end Pioneers? There might of been a 4th

I remember seeing a guy had Eclipse with aMcIntosh amp in his GMC Typhoon. That SUV was a beast.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #48
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:

I just didn't like having to run the extra wires. Lol

I can't for the life of me find the unit on Google or eBay, but this was back in 94 or 95. It was a touchface Eclipse tapedeck I got used off somebody.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #49
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

Quote:
I just didn't like having to run the extra wires. Lol

I can't for the life of me find the unit on Google or eBay, but this was back in 94 or 95. It was a touchface Eclipse tapedeck I got used off somebody.
i get you. I kinda cheated because i would use the existing speaker wire. When I ran my RCA cables from the HU to the amp, I would also run my speakers wires that was soldered to the existing speaker wires with the RCAs. The only thing I had to watch out for was some cars came with a built in amp so you had to by pass that amp.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #50
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I remember owning Sony HU an Pioneer boasting 100w per channel.

I only remember 3 companies that was considered the best. Alpine, Eclipse and Pioneers high end division. Anyone remember the brand name of the high end Pioneers? There might of been a 4th

I remember seeing a guy had Eclipse with aMcIntosh amp in his GMC Typhoon. That SUV was a beast.
They may have listed max ratings (virtually everybody did), but RMS was always present on any Pioneer or Sony box I ever saw. Not that it much mattered. Like I said, every head unit had roughly the same wattage rating, because that's all you could do without an inverter.

As for Alpine and Eclipse, it sounds like you got the hard sell from the car stereo shop guys, because those were the brands that were generally install-shop exclusive.

Dollar for dollar, Pioneer and Kenwood were (IMHO) easily just as good, if not better. I really never had much envy of anyone sporting an Alpine. But I heard plenty of guys talking them up based on what their install shop guy told them.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 06-19-2018 at 09:12 AM..