The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #51
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
i get you. I kinda cheated because i would use the existing speaker wire. When I ran my RCA cables from the HU to the amp, I would also run my speakers wires that was soldered to the existing speaker wires with the RCAs. The only thing I had to watch out for was some cars came with a built in amp so you had to by pass that amp.
Nice.

I helped one of my friends do a hookup where we connected a speaker level-preamp converter to his rear deck speakers. Saved running RCA's from the HU to the amp.

I'm sure some amount of quality was lost, but we were young, dumb, and in a hurry to impress the hoes. Lol
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #52
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Anybody remember the old flip down CD players?

I think Clarion came out with those first.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #53
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Anybody remember the old flip down CD players?

I think Clarion came out with those first.
I had the Alpine 7871 in my old car, which got totaled.... had the flip down CD feature, and it had a 3 position tilt feature that was awesome if your stereo was mounted really low in a dash... it was a sweet unit, wish I had pulled it out before it was totalled... my new car had a Sony piece of crap, all I had to do was do a quick swap out... dumbass
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #54
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
They may have listed max ratings (virtually everybody did), but RMS was always present on any Pioneer or Sony box I ever saw. Not that it much mattered. Like I said, every head unit had roughly the same wattage rating, because that's all you could do without an inverter.

As for Alpine and Eclipse, it sounds like you got the hard sell from the car stereo shop guys, because those were the brands that were generally install-shop exclusive.

Dollar for dollar, Pioneer and Kenwood were (IMHO) easily just as good, if not better. I really never had much envy of anyone sporting an Alpine. But I heard plenty of guys talking them up based on what their install shop guy told them.
Hard sell? There was only one dealer who sold Alpine when I was really into car audio and I was actually sponsored by that dealer. However, I never went with Alpine. I actually heard of Eclipse because my friend had an Eclipse HU. First time I heard it and blew me away. His mids and highs blew away my unit that was had a dedicated Soundstream amp with aftermarket speakers. There were no Eclipse dealers in my local area. As a matter a fact, I never been to a dealer that carried Eclipse. The Eclipse HU I got was all mail order from some high end audio retailer in NYC. They carried all the cool stuff too like B&W, NHT, and Soundstream amps.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #55
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

ahhh i remember now. Pioneer had a high end brand name for car audio and it called Premier. Now the Premier HU were top class. Everything was advertised in RMS and not at max. I remember it featured powered preouts like the Alpines and Eclipse. Also had the display screen that would slide out and flipped up.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #56
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Hard sell? There was only one dealer who sold Alpine when I was really into car audio and I was actually sponsored by that dealer. However, I never went with Alpine. I actually heard of Eclipse because my friend had an Eclipse HU. First time I heard it and blew me away. His mids and highs blew away my unit that was had a dedicated Soundstream amp with aftermarket speakers. There were no Eclipse dealers in my local area. As a matter a fact, I never been to a dealer that carried Eclipse. The Eclipse HU I got was all mail order from some high end audio retailer in NYC. They carried all the cool stuff too like B&W, NHT, and Soundstream amps.
I think Eclipse was a little later to the game, and it was pretty good stuff.

Alpine just always seemed like the deck the country club kids had when daddy paid for them to take the new Mustang into the shop for an upgrade.

It was always the DIY kids against the stereo shop kids back in the day. Seemed like there was always a sea of Alpine and Rockford Fosgate over there.

I think you can probably mail order all of it now. Or like someone already said, they're all made in the same places. But back then, there was a real divide between car stereo shop brands and mail order/Crutchfield brands.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #57
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I think Eclipse was a little later to the game, and it was pretty good stuff.

Alpine just always seemed like the deck the country club kids had when daddy paid for them to take the new Mustang into the shop for an upgrade.

It was always the DIY kids against the stereo shop kids back in the day. Seemed like there was always a sea of Alpine and Rockford Fosgate over there.

I think you can probably mail order all of it now. Or like someone already said, they're all made in the same places. But back then, there was a real divide between car stereo shop brands and mail order/Crutchfield brands.
Yeah, there was definitely a difference in head units.

My first head unit was a Sony, then I bought a used Alpine, and except for the one Eclipse I bought used, I've had Alpine ever since. I usually go with the mid-priced units. You can certainly pay more for all the bells and whistles.

We had an Eclipse dealer in my hometown, and another dealer not too far away had Alpine. They both did a lot of trade ins and usually had reasonably priced used equipment. I never bought used speakers though. Lol
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #58
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Yeah, there was definitely a difference in head units.

My first head unit was a Sony, then I bought a used Alpine, and except for the one Eclipse I bought used, I've had Alpine ever since. I usually go with the mid-priced units. You can certainly pay more for all the bells and whistles.

We had an Eclipse dealer in my hometown, and another dealer not too far away had Alpine. They both did a lot of trade ins and usually had reasonably priced used equipment. I never bought used speakers though. Lol
Speaking of which, I always found better bang for the buck in speakers than I did in head units. Outside of whatever features you wanted in it, that is.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote