The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #401
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Your original comment made it seem like he's routinely beaten by competition when he's anything but. And you're not really part of the "lets blame Manning for everything and **** on his career" crowd, but the glass fully empty revisionist history by some is just odd.

Either manning slept with too many posters girlfriends or Chrissy has poisoned the well to such an extent that people have just turned anti PM at every turn
Ya I should've clarified who I was thinking "some people" were.

As for Manning, It's just the age thing. I did have certain assumptions when he was a Colt about not showing up in playoffs, but as a bronco I was ecstatic he not only came aboard but meant the end for tebow. I had 3 years in my head. This 4th year I'm struggling with simply due to his age.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #402
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Ya I should've clarified who I was thinking "some people" were.

As for Manning, It's just the age thing. I did have certain assumptions when he was a Colt about not showing up in playoffs, but as a bronco I was ecstatic he not only came aboard but meant the end for tebow. I had 3 years in my head. This 4th year I'm struggling with simply due to his age.
And that's a completely fair concern. But others who share the concern justify it with a glass fully empty version of his career that's even stranger when you consider that he's inarguably one of the very best to ever play
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #403
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
And that's a completely fair concern. But others who share the concern justify it with a glass fully empty version of his career that's even stranger when you consider that he's inarguably one of the very best to ever play
Not in the playoffs.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #404
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Not in the playoffs.
Oh enough already. He's one of the best. In the 20 years before PM the Broncos reached the divisional round 5 times. 3 of those were with another GOAT candidate at QB. Since PM got there, we are 3 for 3. You keep talking like it's easy to do that and had we just had another QB we'd win all the Super Bowls ever! You're completely forgetting how difficult it was to even make it there. Not to mention, one of those three years he won two great playoff games, which you hate giving him credit for, and in the Ravens game he certainly wasn't bad. Doesn't fit your "he's the devil" narrative though
Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #405
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

So everyone sucks now? Fire them all!!!
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #406
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Oh enough already. He's one of the best. In the 20 years before PM the Broncos reached the divisional round 5 times. 3 of those were with another GOAT candidate at QB. Since PM got there, we are 3 for 3. You keep talking like it's easy to do that and had we just had another QB we'd win all the Super Bowls ever! You're completely forgetting how difficult it was to even make it there. Not to mention, one of those three years he won two great playoff games, which you hate giving him credit for, and in the Ravens game he certainly wasn't bad. Doesn't fit your "he's the devil" narrative though
I just don't care about making the playoffs and losing immediately. I'm also not a huge fan of getting to the Super Bowl and then playing the worst game of your ****ing life. It's no better than not making the playoffs to me. You apparently are into that kind of thing though. To each their own.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #407
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I just don't care about making the playoffs and losing immediately. I'm also not a huge fan of getting to the Super Bowl and then playing the worst game of your ****ing life. It's no better than not making the playoffs to me. You apparently are into that kind of thing though. To each their own.
I'm in to that whole "make it to the tournament and see what happens" thing cause I like watching an exciting season. You'd rather go 3-13 every year save for one random season where we win one? Or would you rather watch consistently good football?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #408
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
I'm in to that whole "make it to the tournament and see what happens" thing cause I like watching an exciting season. You'd rather go 3-13 every year save for one random season where we win one? Or would you rather watch consistently good football?
If they were 3-13 and he'd complain even more.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #409
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
Definitely in the conversation. Don't forget Beckham. Dude is a star.
FYP
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #410
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
What's his overrall record against him? Not sure where "average liability" was in any post of mine here. I'm just stating great players can still have problems from someone who's got their number. DT with Vontae, Manning with Belly
To be fair, most of the games Manning has played vs NE have been in Foxboro.

I think it's something like 12 home games for Belly/Tom to 5-6 for Peyton.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #411
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
I don't consider Manning ball good football. I consider it crappy, finesse football that looks better than it actually is by exploiting bad defenses throughout the regular season. It can't do jack against good defenses. We've seen it over and over again. Getting to the tournament is only worth a damn if you don't actually know you have no prayer.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #412
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure is an Option for VJ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Penrose

Quote:
That SB is totally different if we don't have 6-7 starters out and depth players injured.

Making it that far inspite of those injuries vs the ****ing Pats in the Championship game was special. I knew when Harris went down in that game we were in trouble.

It is great to be the last 2 teams playing at the end of the year with a chance to win it.

Without Fox coaching I now feel better about whatever happens this year.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #413
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Totally agree. And I do not agree with franchising him. 13 mil? Hell no. Let him walk and get overpaid somewhere else.
I'd look to trade him as his value is much higher then a comp pick
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #414
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Totally agree. And I do not agree with franchising him. 13 mil? Hell no. Let him walk and get overpaid somewhere else.
Do you know how terrible our offense would be without Demaryius AND Julius? All teams would have to do is put a safety over the top of Emmanuel Sanders and nobody else will get open.

Demaryius is well worth that money. He is a top 5 WR and that is what those type of guys get paid.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #415
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Do you know how terrible our offense would be without Demaryius AND Julius? All teams would have to do is put a safety over the top of Emmanuel Sanders and nobody else will get open.

Demaryius is well worth that money. He is a top 5 WR and that is what those type of guys get paid.
It's not like it is DT or nothing. Denver could bring in a cheaper option at WR, and be able to address other issues like addressing the offensive line, keeping Knighton, etc.
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #416
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Without Fox coaching I now feel better about whatever happens this year.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #417
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

From rotoworld.
Demaryius Thomas - WR - Broncos

The Denver Post reports the Broncos will apply the franchise tag to free agent Demaryius Thomas on Monday.

Both Dez Bryant and Demaryius can expect tags on Monday. Beat writer Mike Klis guesses Thomas won't sign the one-year franchise tender until after the Broncos' offseason program is completed, allowing him to skip the activities without penalty. The wide receiver tag is expected to be worth $12.797 million. The Broncos offered Demaryius a deal worth $13 million annually last summer, but Thomas was "seeking something north of $15 million per." He proceeded to set the Broncos' franchise record for receiving yards (1,619)

Hometown discount my ass.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #418
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Broncos To Place Franchise Tag On Demaryius Thomas

March 1st at 6:33pm CST by Dallas Robinson
Barring any unforeseen contract agreement, the Broncos will place the franchise tag on receiver Demaryius Thomas tomorrow, reports Mike Klis of the Denver Post. The tag will guarantee Thomas approximately $12.797MM for the 2015 season.
Per Klis, the Broncos will use the more popular non-exclusive franchise tag, which will allow Thomas to have talks with other teams but will entitle Denver to two first-round picks if they decide to not match an offer sheet. As Klis notes, this is highly unlikely to happen, so Thomas is almost certainly a lock to play for the Broncos in 2015.
Denver was widely expected to use the tag, and speaking at the combine earlier this month, Broncos general manager John Elway confirmed that the club would utilize the tag on Thomas if a long-term contract could not be worked out. Elway said the the team would still like to work out an extension with Thomas, and now the two sides will have until July 15 to negotiate a multi-year agreement.
The 27-year-old Thomas was set to be a part of a loaded free agent receiver crop, which includes Dez Bryant (who is also expected to be tagged tomorrow), Jeremy Maclin, Randall Cobb, and Torrey Smith. Thomas, who finished last season with 111 receptions for 1,619 yards and 11 touchdowns, would have been in line for a contract averaging close to $14MM per season. A long-term deal with the Broncos should come close to that figure, but with Denver now holding the leverage, the AAV expectations might be tempered.
Thomas has shown some willingness to take a hometown discount, indicating that he enjoys playing with future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. But Manning, at age 38, could be entering his final season in the NFL, and itís unclear if Thomas would show the same inclination to stay in Denver were Manning retired.
After accounting for the franchise tag, the Broncos are projected to have about $16.5MM of cap space to work with as free agency approaches. The club and Manning are reportedly discussing some sort of contract restructure, so Denver could conceivably carve out a little extra financial room. As Klis reported earlier today, the Broncos are expected to be active participants in free agency, targeting help at offensive line, tight end, and safety, but they arenít expected to retain some of their own free agents, such as Julius Thomas, Terrance Knighton, and Orlando Franklin.
Both Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant were long believed to contenders for the franchise tag, and now other clubs will have until tomorrow to decide whether to apply their own tag. Justin Houston (Chiefs) and Jason Pierre-Paul (Giants) are each expected to be tagged by their respective teams, while Devin McCourty (Patriots) and Jerry Hughes (Bills) are also candidates for the tag. Check out PFRís Luke Adamsí recap of all the franchise tag candidates here.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #419
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

The Denver Post reports the Broncos will apply the franchise tag to free agent Demaryius Thomas on Monday.

Both Dez Bryant and Demaryius can expect tags on Monday. Beat writer Mike Klis guesses Thomas won't sign the one-year franchise tender until after the Broncos' offseason program is completed, allowing him to skip the activities without penalty. The wide receiver tag is expected to be worth $12.797 million. The Broncos offered Demaryius a deal worth $13 million annually last summer, but Thomas was "seeking something north of $15 million per." He proceeded to set the Broncos' franchise record for receiving yards (1,619).

Old 03-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #420
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
From rotoworld.
Demaryius Thomas - WR - Broncos

Both Dez Bryant and Demaryius can expect tags on Monday. Beat writer Mike Klis guesses Thomas won't sign the one-year franchise tender until after the Broncos' offseason program is completed, allowing him to skip the activities without penalty. The wide receiver tag is expected to be worth $12.797 million. The Broncos offered Demaryius a deal worth $13 million annually last summer, but Thomas was "seeking something north of $15 million per." He proceeded to set the Broncos' franchise record for receiving yards (1,619)

Tag him this year( AND next probably) , and we still likely to come out ahead with no dead cap afterwards. The one thing a long term deal does is allow us to pay him with mostly bonus money this year, and push the salary down the road. Save some room this year, for cost in later years, but also have to guarantee more of the deal. Injuries happen. Look at Cladys deal.

Its unlikely he will continue the same level of production after Manning leaves, and the tag lets us still retain his services until that happens, at least.
If he wouldn't take 13 Million last summer he is going to want lots more now. Hopefully we can find someone to give us two #1 picks.... and I would take less if offered at least a 1 and 3.

Sorry, but NO receiver is worth > $13 Million a year, on a long term deal. Its throwing money out because production is almost always going to decrease over time.
Same thing we are seeing with Manning...Age becomes a factor. And once he gets the long term guaranteed deal where is the incentive to perform?

I am no fan of the mega contracts that players get, unless they are front loaded. That does not look like what any of our FAs are seeking. If we tag anyone it should be with the consideration to trade them. Too bad we don't have 2 tags. I'd tag JT too.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #421
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

$15 mil....not worth it.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #422
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
$15 mil....not worth it.
Outside of QB no player is worth that kind of money honestly, but you better be damn good at manufacturing great players if you don't want to pay that kind of money to anyone.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #423
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

And yet don't want Peyton back.

This team would never reach the cap floor if this board ran it.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #424
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
And yet don't want Peyton back.

This team would never reach the cap floor if this board ran it.
I'd use the resources a hell of a lot better than what Elway has on some players.

Still, 15 mil for a WR who can get schemed out of games is a bad use of resources.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #425
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Outside of QB no player is worth that kind of money honestly, but you better be damn good at manufacturing great players if you don't want to pay that kind of money to anyone.
JJ watts contract is pretty crazy and worth it. His cap hit last year was 21M. Drops to about 13 for a few years then goes up 15M plus toward the end. About the only non QB player Id give that money to.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote