The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel
Default Issues John has to navigate at Safety position this offseason

So it is likely that Stewart is gone.

Both Simmons and Parks are playing in their last year of their rookie deals.

Simmons has played well in spots but still makes some terrible decisions, he isn't worth locking up with a big deal.

Parks should come cheaper as he is a backup.

Does John go out and get a big name Vet FA to fill Stewarts departure and then let Simmons and Parks fight it out for the 2nd job and the contract next year or does he lock at least one guy up this year?

Cravens is technically a Safety too but he was a VJ bright idea so he may not make it out of TC despite having a tiny cap number.

Who do you want to see John bring in to replace Stewart. What would you do with Simmons and or Parks?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

I think Simmons will thrive in Fangio's scheme not being used in Cover 0 and as a NCB.

And Will Parks had a very good year, but they will have to make a long-term committment to them or not.

Stewart is likely next on the chopping block. Not sure what happens with Cravens.

If he hits free agency, i expect Denver to look HARD to Adrian Amos from Chicago.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Let Simmons and Parks play out the season as-is. I like guys in a contract year. It's not a coincidence that they tend to have their best seasons when $ is on the line.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
wolf754life
HORSE FACE GM

THE GHOST of HORSEFACE GM

Simmons is garbage

always a step behind mentally

fragile, weak

good athlete but not clutch

D. Stew has to go, should have never been extended.

awful roster management abounds from GHOSTFACE GM
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
I think Simmons will thrive in Fangio's scheme not being used in Cover 0 and as a NCB.

And Will Parks had a very good year, but they will have to make a long-term committment to them or not.

Stewart is likely next on the chopping block. Not sure what happens with Cravens.

If he hits free agency, i expect Denver to look HARD to Adrian Amos from Chicago.
I would be fine with Amos, I would expect Fangio to bring someone from duh bears over with him.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Let Simmons and Parks play out the season as-is. I like guys in a contract year. It's not a coincidence that they tend to have their best seasons when $ is on the line.
But it also may be cheaper to sign them now as opposed to them in a contract year.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
But it also may be cheaper to sign them now as opposed to them in a contract year.
Yeah, they’re prob waiting for Fangio to give his final evaluation to move forward on that.

Simmons should get a 2nd contract.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Only if they light it up this season, which is a win-win IMO.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Agreed Let Parks and Sua walk.
Get Amos in FA.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
Aztec Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Interested in seeing more of Dymonte Thomas since it's likely they're only able to pay one of Simmons or Parks. Simmons is a great athlete, but Parks seems to have a little more dog in him and really played well down the stretch. We'll see which guy earns a second contract. Stewart is 100% washed, easy cut. Not counting on anything from Su'a, just seems way too immature and he's not really a true safety anyway. Fangio doesn't play much dime, so not sure what his role would be.

Amos is a good player, not a game-changer. Don't overpay him.
Aztec Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
-Rod-
#TeamBroncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Why

There will be plenty of safeties available in free agency. This should keep their market prices relatively low and help the Broncos sign whoever they want and extend Justin Simmons.

Remember, some of the top FA safeties took some time to find a team last offseason. Vaccaro signed a 1-year deal in August, Tre Boston signed a 1-year deal with the Cardinals. Now they're FAs again.

George Iloka served as the Vikings' 3rd safety last season, but I believe he is good enough to be a starter and has the size to cover TEs. At the very least, he is more reliable than Su'a Cravens, who quit the Redskins and got benched by Vance Joseph.

Elway will likely try to keep Justin Simmons. He's 25, made 97 tackles and 3 interceptions last season. We should expect Simmons to get better being coached by Fangio and Donatell. I think he's a keeper.
-Rod- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

I'd try to resign both Simmons and Parks before the season. Both played well last season and I think develop further under Fangio. Parks had that Atwater-type of a hit against the Steelers, I'd keep him around just for that
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
gob1gred
Grinder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wish we had the money to spend on a guy like Landon Collins. I'll settle for Sua not being a Bronco next year.
gob1gred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob1gred View Post
Wish we had the money to spend on a guy like Landon Collins. I'll settle for Sua not being a Bronco next year.
Broncos have money for Collins, i think they go for Amos if he hits the market.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #15
gob1gred
Grinder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'd take Collins over Amos. Amos didn't seem all that special to me.
gob1gred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #16
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Collins is going to get Yuuuuge coin. Amos is doable.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #17
Bronc62
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I do give Will Parks credit for the Broncos defensive play of the year when he came across the end zone to tackle rumbling 260lb Pittsburgh TE Xavier Grimble just short of the goal line and knocked the ball out for a touchback to boot. What an incredible touchdown saving/turnover play it was.

On the other hand, Parks was the guy who Kareem Hunt made look silly when he leaped over the low-driving safety for a spectacular touchdown run after catch in the game at Kansas City.

Last edited by Bronc62; 02-15-2019 at 08:25 PM..
Bronc62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc62 View Post
I do give Will Parks credit for the Broncos defensive play of the year when he came across the end zone to tackle rumbling 260lb Pittsburgh TE Xavier Grimble just short of the goal line and knocked the ball out for a touchback to boot. What an incredible touchdown saving/turnover play it was.

On the other hand, Parks was the guy who Kareem Hunt made look silly when he leaped over the low-driving safety for a spectacular touchdown run after catch in the game at Kansas City.
Who had the blocked FG's jumping over the OL this year, was that Parks? I know he had one vs the Saints a couple years ago on a PAT.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #19
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Who had the blocked FG's jumping over the OL this year, was that Parks? I know he had one vs the Saints a couple years ago on a PAT.
Simmons did both if memory calls.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
Samsa Gregor
Bleacher Peanut Salesman

Ready for the draft

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaac Yiadom

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Pretty sure that was Simmons this year.
Samsa Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #21
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob1gred View Post
I'd take Collins over Amos. Amos didn't seem all that special to me.
Maybe true but Amos knows Fangio's defense and wont cost quite as much as Collins.

Collins is coming off an injury though.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #22
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc62 View Post

It happens. Hunt's one of the best backs in the league.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #23
BleedinBlue
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would lock up Parks and Simmons. I think both can be had for very friendly deals and I think both are solid players with room to improve. I am a fan of extending certain players early. I would lock both of them and McGovern up now.

Amos is a fine player but he isn't a game changer by any means. I wouldn't mind him but he wouldn't be a major upgrade on our current grouping. I wouldn't go higher than 6 per year on him either. I would rather go after Callahan at CB, more impactful player, only downside is injury issues every year which should limit his cost.
BleedinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #24
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Simmons is good but is best as a cover 1 type FS where he can use his range and atheleticism to close ground quickly allowing CB's to play more aggressively. Unfortunately that was also Stewart's best ability(based more on play recognition than atheletics though) so Simmons was asked to drop into the box more or play cover man where he is just OK and where Stewart is atrocious.

I think the hope was that Sua could take over that role, let Simmons play FS and Stewart to backup but that didn't workout. Maybe Sua will come back this year and play well but no one is holding their breath on that.

Parks did get better as the season wore on and can be a competent safety but I'm doubtful he can do much more than that. Still he should be the incumbent.

I would be in favor of resigning Simmons now - I think he will do very well in the high FS role and will command a bigger contract after the season. With Parks I would rather wait and see and possibly look at FA and draft to upgrade.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #25
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Collins over anyone else. Pair him with Simmons and Parks and it’s a strength.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote