The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default General Baseball Thread - 2017

Start of a new year, so start of a new thread. I'll probably close the other one, in about a week. So, it would be best to start using this one.

This is when I proclaim this to be the 25th annual year the Rockies really compete.

(No, but seriously - they should take a big step forward this year. I'd take 85 wins, and contention through at least most of September.)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
...I'd take 85 wins...
FWIW, Fangraphs currently has them at 78.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts...tion=Standings
Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
FWIW, Fangraphs currently has them at 78.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts...tion=Standings
Yeah, I think that's a little pessimistic (admittedly, my opinion cannot always be trusted on such matters).

They won 75 last year, and that was with a disastrous year from the bullpen. They will likely get slight regression from their lineup (although, I would argue that guys like Lemahieu, Arenado, and Blackmon are what they are, at this point); but they will also hopefully be getting at least slight progression at SS (including, hopefully, an entire year of production - not all that unlikely, considering age), LF, and, perhaps, 1B (maybe a big jump there, if Bridich can work some magic over the next couple months).

Their rotation, one would think, would make a big jump. It's loaded with talented guys who are at the point where, if they're worth their salt, they should see real productivity jumps. It's certainly the most talent and depth they've had in their history. And. as I first mentioned, the bullpen is not nearly as bad as it was last year (I won't even mention how they were managed - or, wait, I did just mention it).

Damn, now that I write all that, I want 90 wins!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Young <a href="https://twitter.com/Cardinals">@Cardinals</a> stud <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexReyes_67">@AlexReyes_67</a> says he will pitch for team Dominican Republic. Team has not confirmed. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WBC2017?src=hash">#WBC2017</a> <a href="https://t.co/ZyeMJeR7zH">pic.twitter.com/ZyeMJeR7zH</a></p>&mdash; WBC Baseball (@WBCBaseball) <a href="https://twitter.com/WBCBaseball/status/817166300732456961">January 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos < Chiefs/Raiders/Chargers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bruce Smith

Quote:
Start of a new year, so start of a new thread. I'll probably close the other one, in about a week. So, it would be best to start using this one.

This is when I proclaim this to be the 25th annual year the Rockies really compete.

(No, but seriously - they should take a big step forward this year. I'd take 85 wins, and contention through at least most of September.)
Well Dom I think you may hate my pessimism here but I still think the rockies need to do more to sure up starting pitching and the bullpen. Grey really seems to be a closer IMO he has this thing where he lets stuff get to him. Chatwood is good but has been injury prone and has not pitched good enough long enough to say he is an ACE or even #2. Also Coors field is the largest outfield in MLB and I am shocked the rockies do not have a fast outfielders; this alone would save runs. In fact, its this large field of play that increases averages more than the thin air IMO. And I would love to see a leadoff batter who can work the count and steal bases (an actual speed demon threat).

I have high hopes for Anderson he looked great. I think the rockies really only need a 16th - 18th ranked ERA to really compete but it seems we need to do more than hope what on paper is rather a ok group of starters and relievers pans out (28th in ERA last year).

I would love to enjoy the rockies this year and think Bud Black is a good move. But until I see a good effort to sure up the bullpen and another good starter or two I think this is a sub .500 team right now.

Last edited by Coldcity76; 01-05-2017 at 06:10 PM..
Old 01-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Rockies picking up Orange County native , Mark Trumbo will be like Dante Bichette back in the day.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Go Mariners. This is the year... No, it probably isn't. Probably be about 2 games out of the playoffs yet again.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Rockies picking up Orange County native , Mark Trumbo will be like Dante Bichette back in the day.
You bastard. You had me frantically checking Twitter to read about them signing Mark Trumbo.

He could bomb there, though. I had my heart set on Encarnacion, a bit. I just refuse to believe they signed Ian Desmond to really play 1st base.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'd love to clean the Rockies system out for Quintana.
Still prefer to trade with Scribe though.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Aaaaaaaaaaand the Halo's still don't have any pitching.
Yeah, ANA has the best baseball player in the world and NO pitchers.
Awesome.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Quintana? As in, Yohander Quintana? Why him?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Quintana? As in, Yohander Quintana? Why him?
Jose Quintana
Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Jose Quintana
There were rumors a few weeks ago that the Rockies were trying to trade for Jose Quintana, but they're still rumors. I thought the Yohander Quintana thing was weird. He's a 20-year old down in Grand Junction.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #14
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
Well Dom I think you may hate my pessimism here but I still think the rockies need to do more to sure up starting pitching and the bullpen. Grey really seems to be a closer IMO he has this thing where he lets stuff get to him. Chatwood is good but has been injury prone and has not pitched good enough long enough to say he is an ACE or even #2. Also Coors field is the largest outfield in MLB and I am shocked the rockies do not have a fast outfielders; this alone would save runs. In fact, its this large field of play that increases averages more than the thin air IMO. And I would love to see a leadoff batter who can work the count and steal bases (an actual speed demon threat).

I have high hopes for Anderson he looked great. I think the rockies really only need a 16th - 18th ranked ERA to really compete but it seems we need to do more than hope what on paper is rather a ok group of starters and relievers pans out (28th in ERA last year).

I would love to enjoy the rockies this year and think Bud Black is a good move. But until I see a good effort to sure up the bullpen and another good starter or two I think this is a sub .500 team right now.
Man, in one of Gray's last starts in September, he pitched a complete-game shutout with 17 Ks - at Coors Field. He'll likely never win one, because of where he plays, but he has Cy Young potential. Don't even mention him in the pen.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #15
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepentWalpurgis View Post
I don't love it. He's being counted on for a major role by the Cardinals. Wainwright and Lynn are kind of question marks and they dumped Garcia.

(formerly bombay)
The Cardinals, shockingly, supported Reyes' decision. I am kind of dismayed by that.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #16
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
Also Coors field is the largest outfield in MLB and I am shocked the rockies do not have a fast outfielders; this alone would save runs. In fact, its this large field of play that increases averages more than the thin air IMO. And I would love to see a leadoff batter who can work the count and steal bases (an actual speed demon threat).
The Rockies do have a CF that can fly and cover ground: Raimel Tapia.

He fits the leadoff batter description, that works the count and steals bases to a T.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2016/ALL

He is Colorado's future starter in CF and he doesn't have much minor league development left. Unfortunately, the Ian Desmond signing only further delayed his full0time arrival because the Rockies have so many outfield options (Carlos Gonzalez, Charlie Blackmon, David Dahl, Gerardo Parra).
Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 PM   #17
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post

He fits the leadoff batter description, that works the count and steals bases to a T.

He is Colorado's future starter in CF and he doesn't have much minor league development left. Unfortunately, the Ian Desmond signing only further delayed his full0time arrival because the Rockies have so many outfield options (Carlos Gonzalez, Charlie Blackmon, David Dahl, Gerardo Parra).
I'm hoping he bashes down the door at ST this year, like Story did last year. He's the prototypical guy for their outfield.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #18
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaand the Halo's still don't have any pitching.
Yeah, ANA has the best baseball player in the world and NO pitchers.
Awesome.
General manager Billy Eppler is in a tough situation where owner Arte Moreno won't let him sell vets for prospects, and he has to build a porous farm system (ranked No. 30 of 30 in 2016 preseason by Baseball America) from bare bones. It will take years to build it.

Nevertheless, I think Eppler has done a marvelous job of improving the Angels' 2017 product given the constraints on him.

Pitching costs too much to acquire, so Eppler has improved run prevention with defensive-oriented pickups. He added Cameron Maybin in LF, Danny Espinosa at 2B, Martin Maldonado at C and Ben Revere as a fourth OF. Espinosa is a stud defender at SS, so the Andrelton Simmons-Espinosa DP combo has the chance to be one of the best.

It probably won't be enough to get the Angels over .500 but it's an admirable strategy.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 AM   #19
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Chihuahua's want to be Doberman Pinscher's, but wanting it and it actually happening are different things.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #20
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
General manager Billy Eppler is in a tough situation where owner Arte Moreno won't let him sell vets for prospects, and he has to build a porous farm system (ranked No. 30 of 30 in 2016 preseason by Baseball America) from bare bones. It will take years to build it.

Nevertheless, I think Eppler has done a marvelous job of improving the Angels' 2017 product given the constraints on him.

Pitching costs too much to acquire, so Eppler has improved run prevention with defensive-oriented pickups. He added Cameron Maybin in LF, Danny Espinosa at 2B, Martin Maldonado at C and Ben Revere as a fourth OF. Espinosa is a stud defender at SS, so the Andrelton Simmons-Espinosa DP combo has the chance to be one of the best.

It probably won't be enough to get the Angels over .500 but it's an admirable strategy.
****ing Angels, gumming up the works, Eppler was supposed to take over for Cashman when he eventually retires.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #21
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos < Chiefs/Raiders/Chargers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bruce Smith

Quote:

Oh yeah I recall this kid on the MLB show. I hope we go back to a leadoff batter who is a speed demon. This helps set the tone for the rest of the batters and can start a rally. We need a fast outfield it will certainly help the pitching by being able to cover the largest outfield in baseball.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #22
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Orioles, Mariners Swap Yovani Gallardo For Seth Smith
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-gallardo.html
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Good analysis of our current mess. Yes, Eppler is pretty good at getting plenty of top tier talent on the filed. Unfortunately, ANA is absolutely F'd in the bullpen. There's nothing there.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Per Peter Gammons, Rays rejected a Kyle Tucker-Francis Martes-David Paulino plus two other prospects offer from the Houston Astros for Chris Archer.

http://www.draysbay.com/2017/1/5/141...houston-astros
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #25
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Orioles, Mariners Swap Yovani Gallardo For Seth Smith
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-gallardo.html
As a guy who was considered 1) a Coors Field creation that 2) could only hit right-handed pitchers, Seth Smith has made a nice career for himself.
Closed Thread