The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #176
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,690

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Yeah we are talking about the same guy
Beats out Tebow then gets traded for a bag of peanuts

BTW they have twice kept 3qbs on the roster while Mallet was there, so it wasn't a one or the other situation
Jesus, did I not already say that the other factor was the media craze and nutso fanbase? Belichick was asked Tebow questions constantly while he was on the roster, and I'm certain that he decided it was not worth it.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #177
Br0nc0Buster
You honeydicking?
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Super Bowl 50 Champs

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 7,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Jesus, did I not already say that the other factor was the media craze and nutso fanbase? Belichick was asked Tebow questions constantly while he was on the roster, and I'm certain that he decided it was not worth it.
No I saw where you said you believe Belichick would release players for fear of being asked questions...by reporters
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #178
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,690

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
No I saw where you said you believe Belichick would release players for fear of being asked questions...by reporters
Huh? Where did I say fear? It's called annoyance and it's something all humans experience and base decisions on. In his position I would've probably cut Tebow too. It's not like Tebow offered much to the Patriots. They weren't going to ever put him on the field, and even if his passing could be improved it's not like they were ever likely to reap any benefits from it since it would be quite a few years before he might ever even come close to helping them in actual games. There just wasn't much benefit, but there was a lot of annoying Tebow questions at every single press conference.

Anyway, go look it up. Plenty of reporters have said that NFL people have told them that the circus that surrounds Tebow is why they don't bring him in as a backup. People that hate Tebow can't accept that for some reason, but it's the truth. Despite all his flaws he's still way better than people like Blaine Gabbert, and there are plenty of players like that in the league.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 03-18-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #179
OABB
Internet Warrior
 
OABB's Avatar
 
Battle tested.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 19,534

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ly-sign-tebow/

Am I the only one hoping this leads to Mac on It's Always Sunny becoming a Tebowmaniac? Please let this happen just for that alone.
I would die happy
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #180
Castinkas
Boom goes the dynamite
 
Castinkas's Avatar
 
Game Manager

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 3,917

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Exactly!

He gave everything he had. How can you trash a guy for that. I wish him the best of luck and will always root for his success.
How is saying "Timmy couldn't throw" trashing him?
Castinkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #181
bronco militia
made a business decision"
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
Bad, Bad, Bad Donks!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 719
Posts: 31,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
The bottomline on Tim Tebow:

1. GREAT person
2. Worked his ass off as a Denver Bronco FOR THE FANS
3. Was VERY successful here... unbelievably so in the context of a young player

Any Bronco fan trash talking him has some serious insecurities they should look into addressing.
Some people REALLY hate going to church.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #182
Targaryen
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Targaryen's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 813

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Belichick snipped Tebowmania in the bud 5 minutes into his first conference after the signing. He just answered every single question with, "He's a smart player and works hard," over and over and over again, until switching to "I already answered that question."

I think the Patriots signed him primarily to change the subject from Hernandez going into training camp.

I'm hearing his mechanics and accuracy are much better now than they were in 2011 and 2012.

I hope he gets signed and succeeds. Fun guy to watch, easy guy to root for.
Targaryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #183
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Let's Go Broncos!!!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: filling the cups... lol
Posts: 35,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Imagine if they'd really gone all in though...

Wouldn't need to spend big money at QB or WR which are huge $ vacuums, so you could really just pour resources by the truckload into OL, RBs, and defense.

Would've been incredibly fun to watch the Broncos physically maul every team, especially as the league continues to trend toward small, fast guys.

It's a shame everyone at the NFL is so worried about covering their ass that there's no creativity in the league. Blue ocean concepts have to establish themselves in the collegiate rankings before anyone in the NFL will man up and try something fresh.
Right.

No one could possibly be more aware than John Elway of exactly what skills are necessary to succeed as a QB in the NFL. If he had thought that there was any possibility whatsoever that Tebow might ever attain those skills, he would have kept him.

Why do you second-guess John Elway's decision to pass on going "all-in" on Josh McDaniels' gamble? Neither Rex Ryan nor Belicheat was willing to go "all-in" on Tebow either.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 AM   #184
Castinkas
Boom goes the dynamite
 
Castinkas's Avatar
 
Game Manager

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 3,917

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Right.

No one could possibly be more aware than John Elway of exactly what skills are necessary to succeed as a QB in the NFL. If he had thought that there was any possibility whatsoever that Tebow might ever attain those skills, he would have kept him.

Why do you second-guess John Elway's decision to pass on going "all-in" on Josh McDaniels' gamble? Neither Rex Ryan nor Belicheat was willing to go "all-in" on Tebow either.
But, but...he won a playoff game!!!

Seriously why are people hung up on him like he was some great qb we just kicked to the curb?
He couldn't throw accurately, he couldn't read defenses and after his first read he was tucking and running.
Freaking loved his will to win and passion for the game but he stunk and I mean stunk as a qb.
Castinkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #185
whoeey
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,832

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castinkas View Post
But, but...he won a playoff game!!!

Seriously why are people hung up on him like he was some great qb we just kicked to the curb?
He couldn't throw accurately, he couldn't read defenses and after his first read he was tucking and running.
Freaking loved his will to win and passion for the game but he stunk and I mean stunk as a qb.
1-0 in first round playoffs?
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:35 AM   #186
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Let's Go Broncos!!!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: filling the cups... lol
Posts: 35,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castinkas View Post
But, but...he won a playoff game!!!

Seriously why are people hung up on him like he was some great qb we just kicked to the curb?
He couldn't throw accurately, he couldn't read defenses and after his first read he was tucking and running.
Freaking loved his will to win and passion for the game but he stunk and I mean stunk as a qb.
No one should be expected to go "all-in" on someone else's gamble -- especially if they have weighed the odds and deemed that gamble to have low odds of success.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #187
Targaryen
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Targaryen's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 813

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

1-0 in the playoffs in an unlikely season that will be remembered for basically ever by NFL fans all across the country, no matter their team affiliation.
Targaryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #188
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 20,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Imagine if they'd really gone all in though...

Wouldn't need to spend big money at QB or WR which are huge $ vacuums, so you could really just pour resources by the truckload into OL, RBs, and defense.

Would've been incredibly fun to watch the Broncos physically maul every team, especially as the league continues to trend toward small, fast guys.

It's a shame everyone at the NFL is so worried about covering their ass that there's no creativity in the league. Blue ocean concepts have to establish themselves in the collegiate rankings before anyone in the NFL will man up and try something fresh.
Even though I don't like the eagles, I do hope Chip Kelly succeeds in part because he brings some of that college creativity.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #189
BroncofanDK
Seasoned Veteran
 
Frustrated by the Broncos since 88

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Right.

No one could possibly be more aware than John Elway of exactly what skills are necessary to succeed as a QB in the NFL. If he had thought that there was any possibility whatsoever that Tebow might ever attain those skills, he would have kept him.

Why do you second-guess John Elway's decision to pass on going "all-in" on Josh McDaniels' gamble? Neither Rex Ryan nor Belicheat was willing to go "all-in" on Tebow either.
Firstly, there was no doubt that irrespective of where you stand on what you think Tim Tebow could have turned into, Elway needed to get Tebow out of Denver once he agreed to bring Manning in. Tebow would have been a major distraction the first 5 games of 2012 where it did not look like a wise decision to bring in Manning. As so many others Tebow's attraction of non football related love or hate is a distraction.

Rex Ryan - we can speculate all we want, but it is moronic to even think that anyone with half a brain would pull Brady for Tebow now or in the next few years.

I know you hate the ignorant Mamas Boy but it has nothing to do with football. He was a young QB that improved our team tremendously. Try watching the week 5 - 2011 game and you will see a huge difference in how the team played after halftime. That was what he brought and should be respected for.
BroncofanDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #190
Jay3
Seasoned Veteran
 
Jay3's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 290

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Right.

No one could possibly be more aware than John Elway of exactly what skills are necessary to succeed as a QB in the NFL. If he had thought that there was any possibility whatsoever that Tebow might ever attain those skills, he would have kept him.

Why do you second-guess John Elway's decision to pass on going "all-in" on Josh McDaniels' gamble? Neither Rex Ryan nor Belicheat was willing to go "all-in" on Tebow either.
I second-guess football geniuses all the time as a fan -- Isiah Thomas is one of the best players to ever lace them up, but his ability to spot potential in basketball players was terrible. Same with Michael Jordan and Charlotte. The examples run more heavily in the other direction -- the greatest of players are sometimes hampered at player evaluation because they were so good themselves.

That's not to disagree with any particular evaluation Elway has made, just that if anything he would be the exception if he's as legendary at player evaluation as he was on the field.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #191
Jay3
Seasoned Veteran
 
Jay3's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 290

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I say it again for all time -- the only thing I was a little bit butthurt about was getting rid of Tebow. I genuinely believed he could have stayed on as a backup and contributed to the team. Could have been this generations Kubiak (to Peyton's Elway), and added some 2 point conversion team, special play magic. He could have worked on his throwing mechanics for 3 years at least.

Don't bother -- I've heard all the arguments against. Tebow fans are so horrible you had to get rid of us. Tebow is such a prima donna he wouldn't have accepted a backup role to Peyton Manning. Tebow is so terrible that he couldn't capably backup Peyton Manning, we had to have somebody like Oz.

I don't buy it. I think it would have worked out fine, and would have been fun. I think Tebow was a proud addition to the franchise family, and should have been kept around.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #192
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Let's Go Broncos!!!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: filling the cups... lol
Posts: 35,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncofanDK View Post
Firstly, there was no doubt that irrespective of where you stand on what you think Tim Tebow could have turned into, Elway needed to get Tebow out of Denver once he agreed to bring Manning in. Tebow would have been a major distraction the first 5 games of 2012 where it did not look like a wise decision to bring in Manning. As so many others Tebow's attraction of non football related love or hate is a distraction.

Rex Ryan - we can speculate all we want, but it is moronic to even think that anyone with half a brain would pull Brady for Tebow now or in the next few years.

I know you hate the ignorant Mamas Boy but it has nothing to do with football. He was a young QB that improved our team tremendously. Try watching the week 5 - 2011 game and you will see a huge difference in how the team played after halftime. That was what he brought and should be respected for.
WTF? I've never, ever characterized Tim Tebow as an "ignorant Mama's Boy". Nor do I "hate" him. I reserve the word "hate" for Josh McDaniels and the cheating Patriots. And the Raiders.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #193
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Let's Go Broncos!!!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: filling the cups... lol
Posts: 35,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Ah, the ol "But Elway, and Elway is infallible!" approach
Why is he expected to go "all-in" on Josh McDaniels' gamble?

I'm genuinely curious as to why anyone would think he should stake his reputation on a player he didn't draft and clearly wasn't "sold" on.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 AM   #194
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Let's Go Broncos!!!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: filling the cups... lol
Posts: 35,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He isn't. That's why the post started with "Imagine if..."

FYI, that's generally an indicator that it's a musing and not an expectation.
There are limitless scenarios one could "Imagine if"--- but what's the point in musing on stuff that realistically-speaking had about the same odds of happening as a snowflake lasting for an hour in the proverbial hot place?

Tebow's skill set didn't match Elway's visions for the future of the team. End of story.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #195
jonny1
Ahhh, football!
 
Broncos' cheerleaders rule!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,574

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targaryen View Post
1-0 in the playoffs in an unlikely season that will be remembered for basically ever by NFL fans all across the country, no matter their team affiliation.
1-1.
jonny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #196
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 17,574
Default

I don't think Tebow was long-term starter material, but you can't tell me that the Cardinals (for instance) wouldn't have been better off with Tebow than they were with Lindley and Stanton and that horrendous parade of garbage they kept throwing behind center last season. It would have required a little creativity on Arian's part though.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #197
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^
 
DENVERDUI55's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 15,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I don't think Tebow was long-term starter material, but you can't tell me that the Cardinals (for instance) wouldn't have been better off with Tebow than they were with Lindley and Stanton and that horrendous parade of garbage they kept throwing behind center last season. It would have required a little creativity on Arian's part though.
Stanton he would have been worse than but better than Lindley.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #198
chrisp
Friend of the unsung
 
chrisp's Avatar
 
Actually he is now....

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shelby Harris
Default

The issue with Tebow was that he made the team incredibly one-dimensional. He was a great runner but his passing was awful. His completion percentage overall was just a shade under 50% which is bad, but what typically happened in games would be that he'd be at around 20-30% completion for most of the game only to string a few together at the end in Garbage time against prevent defenses to pad his stats.

However, I must confess I was still intrigued by him at the time. He definitely had the 'it' factor where he played his best (whatver that best was) when the heat was on. And for all his flailing inaccuracy throughout most of the game he still had a good deep ball. So if he had been able to become an even mediocre pocket passer (as opposed to just plain awful) then it might have led to some fun times.

I'm still not 100% sure exactly what Elway would have done if we hadn't signed Manning. I think he still probably would have looked to ship him out somehow but he might have kept him and given him a shot at improving. Thing is, we had that amazing winning run when he first started for us, but eventually that stalled as the rest of the league worked out what his limitations were and gameplanned for it. I still think to this day that the playoff win over the Steelers was simply a case of them being too pigheaded to adopt the approach that other teams had shown to work: they failed to keep Tebow contained in the Pocket. It only helped to highlight to the Patriots the importance of doing exactly that, which they did to perfection in true Belichick style when we faced them the following week.

I suppose all I'm trying to say is that whilst I don't think Tebow can be an effective starter in the long term in this league, he does have some intriguing facets to his game and some important qualities, so I can understand why some people support him, aside from the religious aspect. A lot of QBs in this league are great runners and average passers, and generally the way to beat those guys is to keep them in the pocket and make them beat you with their arm. Tebow was like those guys except that he was so bad in the pocket that he had a really long way to go before you could even think that he could give you a shot. You try to weigh that up, along with the fact that he is a one-man PR disaster if he is not both starting and winning, and you can understand why GMs avoid him. If they thought he would win for them, they would jump on him.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #199
BroncofanDK
Seasoned Veteran
 
Frustrated by the Broncos since 88

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
WTF? I've never, ever characterized Tim Tebow as an "ignorant Mama's Boy". Nor do I "hate" him. I reserve the word "hate" for Josh McDaniels and the cheating Patriots. And the Raiders.
No those are my words!

As fascinating I find him on a football field - or rather - the interesting story that was cut short for a lot of non football reasons -his belief in fairy tales is a bit extreme. What he did in his first 16 games was very promising, very productive, while it still raised several question marks. It is an absolute shame that so many players that have produced less gets chance after chance, and that TT is denied them because of the attention he draws.
BroncofanDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #200
jmz313
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncofanDK View Post
No those are my words!

As fascinating I find him on a football field - or rather - the interesting story that was cut short for a lot of non football reasons -his belief in fairy tales is a bit extreme. What he did in his first 16 games was very promising, very productive, while it still raised several question marks. It is an absolute shame that so many players that have produced less gets chance after chance, and that TT is denied them because of the attention he draws.
yes, i agree, its a bummer for him because it appeared he just wanted to play football and win games. That said, such is life. Weather its the NFL or a mediocre office job, most people are never get the chance their production suggests they deserve, and vice-versa. Some people are afforded chance after chance to prove them-self due to some outlying reason.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Denver Broncos