The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #151
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I find it interesting that you’ve been looking for a race debate in this thread. Nearly every one of your posts have been something negative toward the film, the reception of the film, or about black people in general. But I’ll go ahead an entertain this.

Yes, America has a class problem. If you're in the lower class, regardless of your race, you're pretty much screwed.

It's difficult to separate the class issue from the race issue when it comes to minorities because there were racist policies that were legal through the 1960s, and after the Civil Rights era policies were still created to ensure that the racial hierarchy was still in place. I believe that 27% of black people are low income compared to 9% of white people. Do white people have an innate ability to build wealth that black people don't have? I'd say no. Were there policies put in place to help white people build wealth? Absolutely. Were black people allowed to participate in many of those programs? Nope. For example, google "federal housing administration, redlining". That right there was so instrumental in shaping what this country is today. We don’t need to go all the back to slavey to show that minorities, namely black people, were sabotaged by the government. Just go back to the ‘60s and you’ll see that it was all done legally.

As for how this relates to Black Panther, I think you’re missing the larger points. It’s not too often that a black filmmaker has a budget this size, and the few times a black filmmaker has had this type of budget, it certainly wasn’t for a movie with a predominantly black cast. Nearly all of the big budget films are made by white filmmakers with predominantly white casts. It’s been the norm pretty much since the film industry was created.

You say that you’re tired of hearing about race, well blame that on this country, not the black people who are praising certain accomplishments. It shouldn’t have taken this long and there shouldn’t have been so much of a fight for there to be a big budget movie created by a black filmmaker that has a predominantly black cast. It shouldn’t have taken this country 232 years to elect a non-white male president. The NFL shouldn’t have gone 65 years without a black coach, and there shouldn’t be a need for the Rooney Rule. People from marginalized groups shouldn’t be in a position where they are seeing members of their group accomplish something in this country that a white person, and typically a white man, accomplished decades or even centuries ago.

A couple weeks ago I heard Issa Rae speak on a number of issues, including race, the film industry, and race within the film industry. Issa Rae is awesome because she is unapologetically black. She was called racist for saying that she was rooting for the black nominees at the Emmy’s. Her response to that was “if you have a problem with that statement, it’s literally your problem.” I 100% agree with her on that one. So OABB, if you have a problem with black people celebrating this movie, it’s literally your problem.

As for your point that more white people are shot by the police more than black people, yes, that is true. The problem is that a disproportionate amount black people are shot, which is why this is a major issue (it’s total BS to write it off as black people committing more crimes). Going back to the film industry, there is also a disproportionate amount of big budget films that are created by white film makers and have predominantly white casts.
I don’t have a problem with black people celebrating a good movie. I think it’s lame to celebrate a comic book movie like it’s an Oscar caliber film. Did black families take their kids out of school for hidden figures?

That was actually a true(ish) story.

And of course I’m looking for a debate. This is a message board not a friend gathering at a picnic. I’m bored. It’s the off-season.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #152
Bronc0guy
Hard hat & lunch pail guy

Return to the Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
OH come on . I just listened to a lady say the reason black people can't wear straight hair is the " White Man "

It's worse now then ever.http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1519663502

You might not like what he said and he may have said it n a rude way but he's not wrong.
That honestly might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #153
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Part of the reason the fro came back in the sixties and seventies was directly tied to black women being proud of their hair. It was part of the movement against the race shaming that they had experienced for so many years.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #154
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
OH come on . I just listened to a lady say the reason black people can't wear straight hair is the " White Man "

It's worse now then ever.http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1519663502

You might not like what he said and he may have said it n a rude way but he's not wrong.
She didn't say that black women can't wear straight hair. I'm not really sure what your point is, but I think you're missing her point. I'm not even sure if you know what her point is.

And he's not wrong about what? I'm not really understanding what you're trying to say in this post.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #155
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
I donít have a problem with black people celebrating a good movie. I think itís lame to celebrate a comic book movie like itís an Oscar caliber film. Did black families take their kids out of school for hidden figures?

That was actually a true(ish) story.

And of course Iím looking for a debate. This is a message board not a friend gathering at a picnic. Iím bored. Itís the off-season.
It seems like you're stuck on the comic book thing. I'm not a big comic book movie fan, but I was exciting for this film because of what it meant for black filmmakers, producers, directors, and actors.

As for Hidden Figures, on a $25 million budget, it made $240 million. Damn, blacks in film are just winning like crazy right now. Like I mentioned in a previous post, over the past few weeks I was able to listen to a number of black filmmakers. They are all extremely excited about the opportunties that they have right now. There were a number of profitable black movies over the past couple of years that led up to Black Panther.

Black people should be super excited about the progress that's being made in the film industry.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #156
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Broncos GM (God's Masterpiece)

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marquette King

I never realized how much of a P.O.S. OABB is until this thread.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #157
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
It seems like you're stuck on the comic book thing. I'm not a big comic book movie fan, but I was exciting for this film because of what it meant for black filmmakers, producers, directors, and actors.

As for Hidden Figures, on a $25 million budget, it made $240 million. Damn, blacks in film are just winning like crazy right now. Like I mentioned in a previous post, over the past few weeks I was able to listen to a number of black filmmakers. They are all extremely excited about the opportunties that they have right now. There were a number of profitable black movies over the past couple of years that led up to Black Panther.

Black people should be super excited about the progress that's being made in the film industry.
Iím excited for any artist to get a chance to make art. And Iím happy that blacks feel like they have the opportunity and support. All of this is a good thing obviously, Iím just saying hype good art and not mediocre art.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #158
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
I never realized how much of a P.O.S. OABB is until this thread.
Thank you!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #159
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
Iím excited for any artist to get a chance to make art. And Iím happy that blacks feel like they have the opportunity and support. All of this is a good thing obviously, Iím just saying hype good art and not mediocre art.
Well a lot of people actually enjoyed the movie. I thought it started out slow, like most of the first installments of a new series. But once the plot got going it got really good. Thatís just my opinion. For a lot of black folks, this movie created a lot of deep conversations.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #160
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

TeamSwag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly

Quote:

It's worse now then ever.

ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #161
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

How has this thread not been sent to the butt?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #162
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Well a lot of people actually enjoyed the movie. I thought it started out slow, like most of the first installments of a new series. But once the plot got going it got really good. Thatís just my opinion. For a lot of black folks, this movie created a lot of deep conversations.
I thought it was ok. Maybe top ten marvel movie or just outside of it.