The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #126
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Where did you find this? Don't think I've seen it anywhere before. Sounds good
Its an outstanding stout out of Cali. If you like imperial stouts its one of the best in country along with the stuff from Epic (John the Baptist) Clown Shoes (NJ) and Southern Tiers
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #127
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
I have some family outside of Winchester. Lived there when I was a kid. Probably going back to visit this summer. Besides those mentioned above, what else should I try?
Any of their darks are amazing. I've had their Pils and a Farmhouse Pumpkin and they were solid but not as good as their Stouts and Porters.
ElwayMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #128
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Tonight's choice is this bad boy:

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Pours dark, dark brown and a beautiful foamy light head that does not fade. Strong flavor profile with several layers. Very complex mix of malty and roast coffee. It's creamy without being wet. Finishes very clean. It's a bit boozy, but it's a rich beer, so it's like man-dessert. Fantastic.
If you can find that on tap w/ nitro it is even better. The nitro brings out the creaminess even more.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #129
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Does anyone use an app to track the beers you have tried? I meet a guy when I was traveling for business that keep track. Seamed like a interesting idea. If you do what works well?
There is an app called "Untapped" it will track the beers you drink and also give you awards (badges) for trying new beers, different styles, and different breweries. You can write a little review of the beer that way you can remember if you liked it or not.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #130
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Does anyone use an app to track the beers you have tried? I meet a guy when I was traveling for business that keep track. Seamed like a interesting idea. If you do what works well?
Oh man, I tried this with my book club (half about books, half about beers). Each book club meeting, we try eight different beers from four different categories (two imperial stouts, two IPA's, two Belgian Tripels, etc..). After about 4-5 years, the list got so damn long you couldn't make sense of it, and it honestly didn't matter any more.

After about six years of the book/beer club we haven't had the same beer twice (except special annual editions like Old Stock) and the list is overwhelming. Just always try new stuff and keep drinking what you love. Your "favorite beer" is likely to change from year to year.

I know that Anthem Brewing is an Oklahoma brewery and i'm not sure how far they distribute, but at last night's book club we had this one, and it's honestly one of the best beers i've ever had. 17% and it goes for about $17 a bottle, but worth every penny.
Attached Images

cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #131
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Where did you find this? Don't think I've seen it anywhere before. Sounds good
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayMD View Post
If you can find that on tap w/ nitro it is even better. The nitro brings out the creaminess even more.
It honestly tasted like a nitro, and the head on it was amazing. I kind of found it unnecessary. It was like the perfect stout the way it was. I get my beers from a local liquor store around the corner from where I live. They are privately owned and have an incredibly selections of beers and wines. They go for variety.

Quote:
This thread will do for me for now. But I'll try that app out!

Last edited by Kaylore; 04-01-2016 at 08:08 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #132
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Oh man, I tried this with my book club (half about books, half about beers). Each book club meeting, we try eight different beers from four different categories (two imperial stouts, two IPA's, two Belgian Tripels, etc..). After about 4-5 years, the list got so damn long you couldn't make sense of it, and it honestly didn't matter any more.

After about six years of the book/beer club we haven't had the same beer twice (except special annual editions like Old Stock) and the list is overwhelming. Just always try new stuff and keep drinking what you love. Your "favorite beer" is likely to change from year to year.

I know that Anthem Brewing is an Oklahoma brewery and i'm not sure how far they distribute, but at last night's book club we had this one, and it's honestly one of the best beers i've ever had. 17% and it goes for about $17 a bottle, but worth every penny.
Books and beer, interesting group. What do you spend more time on, the books or the beer?
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #133
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Books and beer, interesting group. What do you spend more time on, the books or the beer?
At the beginning, we actually did spend about a half hour talking ingredients, styles, and brewing techniques but now it mostly happens concurrently.

Everyone gathers, we describe the beers and pop all the caps. Everyone has taster glasses and just drinks while we are greetng everyone. After about an hour of drinking we have a little food and hit the book, and more drinking…

If you have some neanderthal friends that haven't cracked a book in years, I found this is a good way to bring them back around to it. Diversity is the key, get lots of different viewpoints and occupations to keep discussions lively.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #134
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So wait, the book part is real?

Figured that just had to be the party line for the wives.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #135
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Actually Colorado has the best, SoCal is trying to replicate the success of craft breweries there. There's so many successful craft breweries in Colorado it's not even funny. So competitive and there's lot of brewfests that happen there. SoCal is getting there but not quite yet. Recently I was in Westlake Village and they've got a couple nice breweries popping up out there. Some decent beer at good prices.

Got me thinking about doing my own home brewing, anyone got any tips or books I should read before starting up?
Not sure if that is just your opinion, man.

9 out of the top 50 are in California compared to 5 for Colorado (still very good for both states)
http://www.thedailymeal.com/drink/50...s-america-2015

Top 25 in the USA, California has 5 to Colorado's 1.
http://coolmaterial.com/feature/the-...d-breweries/2/

Brewfests?
http://www.californiabeerfestival.com/

Not sure if listed but 90 breweries in OC. I retired from this as I seem to get sick but great time for all...

http://www.ocbrewhaha.com/

Breweries in California are already "there". Not taking anything away from Colorado and even will say our California is much bigger but regardless, we top out. Now if you want to say Per Square Mile, Colorado has it, maybe so.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #136
Bronco Yoda

Quote:

I could get into that kind of book club.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #137
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The Craft Brew movement started in San Diego with Anchor Brewing Company and the Maltose Falcons craft brew club. It went from there. I would say based on size, population, etc. and with the GABF being in Denver that Colorado and California are, proportionately speaking, doing equally well with their craft brew representation.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #138
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
At the beginning, we actually did spend about a half hour talking ingredients, styles, and brewing techniques but now it mostly happens concurrently.

Everyone gathers, we describe the beers and pop all the caps. Everyone has taster glasses and just drinks while we are greetng everyone. After about an hour of drinking we have a little food and hit the book, and more drinking…

If you have some neanderthal friends that haven't cracked a book in years, I found this is a good way to bring them back around to it. Diversity is the key, get lots of different viewpoints and occupations to keep discussions lively.
Awesome, my kind of group. There has to be something similar in Dallas. If I started this with my friends it would be a drinking club. They would eventually decree that magazines are books and discuss the content on the cover and never make it past page 3.

What kind of books do you read, what is the demographics of the group?
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #139
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
If they start on beer, I bet the book becomes a pillow. I don't know if this is the coolest nerd group around but I can't think of another like minded combination.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #140
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Tonight I am sipping on this delicious treat:

Elysian Dragonstooth Stout

I've realized I prefer stouts and porters. This is one is an oatmeal stout. I'm not into very strong hops, but this has a strong element that is well balanced and not overbearing. Good char and malt flavor. It drinks very smooth despite being 20 proof. Very good.

I took a four pack of the Old Rasputin to my game night last night for my friends to try and it was a big hit.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #141
Aztec Bronco
Solid Starter

Guess this is a good place to ask for some IPA recommendations. Going to school in San Diego, there's definitely no shortage of options but I want to try as many as possible before I narrow it down to a few favorites to buy consistently. Turned 21 pretty recently so I just started scoping out local breweries.

Appreciate it, fellas!
Aztec Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #142
RonMexico
change your world

Can't fight racism w/ more racism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
Guess this is a good place to ask for some IPA recommendations. Going to school in San Diego, there's definitely no shortage of options but I want to try as many as possible before I narrow it down to a few favorites to buy consistently. Turned 21 pretty recently so I just started scoping out local breweries.

Appreciate it, fellas!
San Diego is one of the craft beer centers of the US. I'd recommend ditching the IPA proclivity and just checking out the things that locals are into, IPA or not. SD is awesome for beer and food. I'm envious!
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #143
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Tonight I am sipping on this delicious treat:

Elysian Dragonstooth Stout

I've realized I prefer stouts and porters. This is one is an oatmeal stout. I'm not into very strong hops, but this has a strong element that is well balanced and not overbearing. Good char and malt flavor. It drinks very smooth despite being 20 proof. Very good.

I took a four pack of the Old Rasputin to my game night last night for my friends to try and it was a big hit.
If you can find elysian split shot stout, do it. I think it's winter seasonal though so it might be too late.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #144
pricejj
jungle

Thanks for the New Belgium 1554 recommendation Kahn, loved it.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #145
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Thanks for the New Belgium 1554 recommendation Kahn, loved it.
Dude, that.**** is everywhere. How u no try yet?
Old 04-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #146
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Dude, that.**** is everywhere. How u no try yet?
I took a growler to a CSU game. It might look dark but goes down pretty smooth.

For oatmeal stout, I was big on Sam Smith (English).around 1994. Rarely I drink stouts unless in a variety pack but I remember liking that one.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #147
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec Bronco View Post

Appreciate it, fellas!
Go to the breweries to try as much variety as possible for the cheapest price. My favorites: Ballast point, Alesmith, Green Flash (and if you want something more experimental try their Cellar 3 location in Poway), Port/Lost Abbey, St Archer, Societe, Hess, Modern Times, plus there are a ton of very small micro/nanobreweries in the same general areas as a lot of these. Stone has an incredible brewery and outdoor seating area for its overpriced restaurant, but I personally am not a huge fan of any of their beers.

If you want to try some decent beer and learn something, hit up White Labs. It is the place that produces a lot of the yeast used in brewing, wine making, etc. in the entire US (along with their Boulder, CO location) and they have a tasting room where they have several different base beers that they add 4 different types of yeast to during the brewing process so you get to see how much of an impact the yeast have on the flavor of the beer by trying the same ingredients with just the yeast changed. It's pretty incredible.

Last edited by misturanderson; 04-03-2016 at 01:54 AM..
misturanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #148
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Awesome, my kind of group. There has to be something similar in Dallas. If I started this with my friends it would be a drinking club. They would eventually decree that magazines are books and discuss the content on the cover and never make it past page 3.

What kind of books do you read, what is the demographics of the group?
Just got home from the Big Texas Beer Festival in Dallas and it was a great event. Franconia Brewing (Texas Brewery) was serving two Eisbocks, chilled through ice sculptures. The first one was a 25% Wheat Beer/Eisbock, and the second was a 23% Dunkel/Eisbock. Beautiful weather, and a really fun crowd!

Funny thing - once we did read a critically acclaimed comic book novel named "Jimmy Corrigan, Smartest Kid on Earth." I can't really recommend it (pretty dry story), but we gave it a shot.

Last few books were "Everything That Rises Must Converge, Flannery O'Connor," "Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury," and "The Boys in the Boat, Daniel James Brown."

We keep the group around 10-12, and it started with me "the beer guy who likes to read," then I added my buddy who is the ringer. He got his English Lit degree from Columbia, and is the main DJ for our local NPR radio station - he leads the discussions. I have a musician, an engineer, one offshore oil worker, four doctors, a PR specialist, and a couple types of salesmen. Good diversity from several economic and religious backgrounds.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #149
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

At the Big Texas Beer Fest, I also got to try some private stock from Unibroue. The rep brought a few personal bottles of 2011 Grande Reserve 17. It's definitely in my top ten, a very flavorful and well balanced Belgian Strong Ale.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #150
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I went overseas this time and tried this guy out:

Hofbräu Dunkel | Hofbräuhaus München

This is made according to the Reinheitsgebot, or German purity law which really culls the ingrediants allowed in a beer to four: Water, Barley, Hops and Yeast. That's it. The result is a really clean flavor. The taste is subtle. Dunkel's are supposed to be dark, and this is on the lighter side of that, though still qualifies.

Clean pure taste that is understated. It's what a "typical" beer should taste like IMO. It doesn't finish harshly and everything is balanced. Only criticism would be that it's not particularly memorable.