The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
phisig150
Pro Bowler

Default Floyd Little Sighting

I live in Henderson Nevada and I was in line at Vons with my kids when this elderly man approached me. I had a Broncos shirt on and he asked me if I was a fan and if I was was from Denver. I confirmed I was a fan from LA who grew up hating the Raiders and loving Elway. He chuckled and then said he played for the Broncos. Took a second but couldn't place him, he was wearing a Hall of Fame hat. He then introduced himself as Floyd Little we shook hands and he and his wife took off. Really nice guy. Wish I could have thought of something to say but was taken aback a bit, not everyday you get to meet a Hall of Famer.
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

not a fan
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
BroncosfanGuy
Stoney Case for Heisman

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

nice, thanks for posting. no idea what the other poster's problem is with your story
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I ran into his Niece who was working in a sports memorabilia shop in the Desert Passage shopping loop in the Aladdin just before he got inducted into the HOF. She was really nice and friendly. Can't recall her name, though. She said she was a Colts fan...
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This made me sad!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Bronc0guy
Hard hat & lunch pail guy

Return to the Playoffs

That's freakin' awesome.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
phisig150
Pro Bowler

In my defense I'm 35 and started following the Broncos in the mid 80s and the dude retired like 6 years before I was born and is now in his 70s. Of course I know his name, legacy, and struggle to get in the hall. Just thought it was a cool random thing that happened to me today and thought that some of the older members on the mane might want to know he's a pretty Cool dude.
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:35 AM   #8
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Cool you met him. If he walks bow legged then you know he is the real deal.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:04 AM   #9
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

I met him about ten years ago at his book signing. Really nice guy.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:48 AM   #10
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisig150 View Post
In my defense I'm 35 and started following the Broncos in the mid 80s and the dude retired like 6 years before I was born and is now in his 70s. Of course I know his name, legacy, and struggle to get in the hall. Just thought it was a cool random thing that happened to me today and thought that some of the older members on the mane might want to know he's a pretty Cool dude.
Just busting your chops... I just wish he would have met a fan that actually knew who he was and could relate a story to him.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 AM   #11
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

Has anyone eaten at Simon Fletchers BBQ place? I think we are going to hit it when we see the Broncos play in Week 2
Old 06-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #12
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Floyd has spoken to our Bronco QB Club a couple of times. I agree he's a really nice guy. His first appearance was before he was inducted to the Hall of Fame and I could tell the fact he wasn't in the Hall really bothered him. The 2nd time I got to talk to him 1 on 1 for about 15 minutes - he was so proud and happy to be in the Hall. It was an honor to talk to a player I idolized in my youth.
titan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Has anyone eaten at Simon Fletchers BBQ place? I think we are going to hit it when we see the Broncos play in Week 2
I thought he was a hot dog vendor guy in Houston? I want to go out to his ring of fame game.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #14
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I thought he was a hot dog vendor guy in Houston? I want to go out to his ring of fame game.
No, in Ft. Morgan. They interviewed him when he went into ring of Fame... looks really great! Seems like a class guy as well

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Simon...37162173120687
Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
What most of the guys too young to remember is just how important he was to the early Denver Broncos. Floyd was the franchise player (the Elway). He reminds me of Rod Smith if you can relate. A star player with a humble, hard working attitude. He was the face of the Denver Broncos in the community and was very active. If Floyd had played with the talent of the Chiefs or Raiders of that time, the sky would have been the limit. A player with true, unrecognized, superstar talent much like Rich Jackson because he played on losing teams in a cowtown. Floyd rose above the talent level around him and still played great.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
What most of the guys too young to remember is just how important he was to the early Denver Broncos. Floyd was the franchise player (the Elway). He reminds me of Rod Smith if you can relate. A star player with a humble, hard working attitude. He was the face of the Denver Broncos in the community and was very active. If Floyd had played with the talent of the Chiefs or Raiders of that time, the sky would have been the limit. A player with true, unrecognized, superstar talent much like Rich Jackson because he played on losing teams in a cowtown. Floyd rose above the talent level around him and still played great.
well, except for the fact that Little was an All american 1st round draft pick who owned the town of Denver the moment he stepped off the plane vs Rod Smith who was an UFA who almost didn't even make the team.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #17
broncosjf
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
well, except for the fact that Little was an All american 1st round draft pick who owned the town of Denver the moment he stepped off the plane vs Rod Smith who was an UFA who almost didn't even make the team.
He compared his stature on the team to Elway. I think the Rod Smith comparison was more about demeanor and work ethic.
broncosjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #18
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosjf View Post
He compared his stature on the team to Elway. I think the Rod Smith comparison was more about demeanor and work ethic.
Exactly.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Reminds me of when baja ran into Mike Shanahan in, well, baja.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #20
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I met Floyd Little last night, and he ruined the outcome of the Broncos game for me. True story.

His son is running for mayor of Inglewood (where the Rams stadium is being built). His son has been having a number of campaign events, and hired me as the event photographer for a few of them. He had one last night at a private home, and it was during the Broncos game. So I decided to take the gig and DVR the game. I stayed off social media to avoid seeing the score, and I told a few folks that normally text me during the game not to text me about it.

So I get to the home and the game was on the TV. It was probably just before halftime. I avoid looking at the screen, and the volume was down. So I'm good. The candidate shows up and they turn off the TV so that he can do his presentation. As people were mingling I see Floyd Little, so I walk up to him and introduce myself. He was a really nice guy. I said that I'm a huge Broncos fan and that I was glad that he got into the HOF. Then I said that I'm glad that they turned the TV off because I'm recording the game at home and I'm going to watch it later, so I'm avoiding hearing about it. He then got really excited and said, "We're kicking their butts!!!!" I was like, noooo, I'm trying to avoid the score. And he replied, "Well, I'm gonna tell you, we're kicking their butts!!!!" He laughed. While it did kind of ruin the surprise for me, it was kind of funny because he was really excited about it. But he was a really cool guy and was very engaging with the people at the event.
Jason in LA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I met Floyd Little last night, and he ruined the outcome of the Broncos game for me. True story.

His son is running for mayor of Inglewood (where the Rams stadium is being built). His son has been having a number of campaign events, and hired me as the event photographer for a few of them. He had one last night at a private home, and it was during the Broncos game. So I decided to take the gig and DVR the game. I stayed off social media to avoid seeing the score, and I told a few folks that normally text me during the game not to text me about it.

So I get to the home and the game was on the TV. It was probably just before halftime. I avoid looking at the screen, and the volume was down. So I'm good. The candidate shows up and they turn off the TV so that he can do his presentation. As people were mingling I see Floyd Little, so I walk up to him and introduce myself. He was a really nice guy. I said that I'm a huge Broncos fan and that I was glad that he got into the HOF. Then I said that I'm glad that they turned the TV off because I'm recording the game at home and I'm going to watch it later, so I'm avoiding hearing about it. He then got really excited and said, "We're kicking their butts!!!!" I was like, noooo, I'm trying to avoid the score. And he replied, "Well, I'm gonna tell you, we're kicking their butts!!!!" He laughed. While it did kind of ruin the surprise for me, it was kind of funny because he was really excited about it. But he was a really cool guy and was very engaging with the people at the event.

Floyd Little can spoil a Broncos game for me any day, as long as he tells me that "we're kicking their butts!!!"

Awesome story!
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #22
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

You know you just crushed the op,regardless great thread
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post

Great story!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #24
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
You know you just crushed the op,regardless great thread
I didn't really want to start a new thread, and I found this one in a search and it seemed like a good place for it. lol
Jason in LA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #25
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Many of the younger fans who are too young can mentally understand how good he was and appreciate what he did for the Bronco organization. Those of us older guys, who watched him play, saw the commitment he made to the organization and especially to the community are much more passionate about Floyd. This is understandable. The losing teams, the impact he made in keeping the team in Denver, the selfless advertising for the team and his excellent play was just outstanding. Forget the stats. He was a superstar both on and off the field. Every Bronco fan should give Mr. Little a hug. You are fortunate to meet him and your opinion of him is right on.