The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #14976
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Great TEs make their big plays down the seam.

Alex won't get it that far.
Yeah, I just do not get guys like Alex. Most guys are really looking deep to short with their reads, Alex just looks short
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #14977
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Su'a Cravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
Things I've said that you guys laugh at:

*Alex Smith will have a career year...a blend between his first half of 2012 and the second half of 2013.
*We have a top 3 secondary in the NFL...possibly the best when you figure in depth
*Travis Kelce is a top 3 TE in the NFL
*Our 5cbs > Denver's top 5 cbs
*Our receivers are vastly improved from last year
*Marcus Peters is the best CB in the last 4 drafts
*Losing JT, Knighton, Clady, Ramirez , Moore and Franklin is gonna hurt.
*KC is gonna be vastly improved by adding Peters, Branch, Berry, Devito, DJ, *Maclin, Conley, Chandarick West, a healthy Wilson and Thomas are going to help win games they otherwise would have probably lost in previous years.
*The move of Eric Fisher back to the right side will help this line be better across the board than keeping him at LT and having nobody that can effectively play RT.

Did I miss anything?
Ramirez is a big loss?

Replaced by some combo of Mathis, Paradis, Garcia, seriously.

You lose all credibility with that post.

And every team loses key players, part of free agency/cap.

Yawn.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #14978
maggnus
Pro Bowler

maggnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #14979
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Su'a Cravens

Kelce is a stud, and could very well be a top-3 TE.

I dont think thats crazy.

The rest of the stuff he says is mind-boggling stupid.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #14980
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #14981
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 09-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #14982
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post

That might be due to a dearth of great TEs than anything.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #14983
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

So if Virgil Green gets 5 catches and 54 yards a game. Then scores a TD every 3 he becomes an elite TE?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #14984
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
So if Virgil Green gets 5 catches and 54 yards a game. Then scores a TD every 3 he becomes an elite TE?
Not even.

First thrown TD from Alex qualifies you Top 5 at whatever position.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #14985
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Yeah, calling Kelce top 3 anything seems entirely premature. Guys like Gronk, Graham, Olsen, Bennett have shown better. He's somewhere with that Julius, Donnell, Witten, Miller, Gates, etc. We'll see if he can seperate himself. And if he can stay healthy. Oh, and hold on to the ball.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #14986
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

This will not sit with Peyton the fact he took a pay cut and his brother just got a big raise to 21 mil. per.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #14987
Rabb
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josey Jewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
This will not sit with Peyton the fact he took a pay cut and his brother just got a big raise to 21 mil. per.
What does one have to do with the other?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #14988
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 09-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #14989
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Not that we didn't already know this, but Trent Dilfer is an absolute moron.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #14990
BossChief
AFCCG or bust

"Next year" is finally here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
1) I worded it that way because I don't think Alex is a very good QB....I even outlined what I think should be expected from him (first 8 games of 2012, last 8 games of 2013...I'll try to run those numbers llater to gauge my statistical expectations.

Statistics do not win games, players do. Alex is not a game changer, never has been, never will be. He can be serviceable and be a decent QB, but that team is not going to dominate a team with him at QB. Even if he breaks out this year...

2) take a look at even the legion of boom secondary after it's been plucked over the last few years, they are picking up our scraps this offseason. Trading for McCray and signing another corner we let go. Take our secondary and list me 3 better ones from 1-10. It's not going to be easy. We had the #2 pass defense last year prior to a bunch of significant upgrades.

The legion of boom is not good because of the second and third CB's. they are great because the secondary only has to play their roles in coverge because the LB's can handle the underneath zones and the safeties (plural) are game changers at their roles. Sherman also closes a half of the field on his side, because he can gamble with Thomas over the top and Chancellor underneath and in the seams. KC's ONLY game changer in the secondary is Berry and he may or may not be 100% coming back.

3) see my post on Kelce a few minutes ago.

Not buying the hype. I like him as a player, but KC has to prove he can be that good after teams have tape on him now. Last years late surge was fortuitous because teams did not have enough tape and time to deny him what he wanted to do. Most NFL DC's are not able to adjust that late in the season because of personnel and time restrictions in practice. With an offseason, Kelce will be better accounted for by teams this year. They will scheme him out of some of those plays. However, he is still a quality starting TE in the NFL and a very solid dual threat. I think he is going to be great, but he has to prove it first.

4) pretty much agree, but Thomas and Wilson did show big time promise towards the end of last season, Avant was (sad as this may sound) our second best WR last year after we picked him up after being cut by Carolina..now we have 3 or 4 guys that are better...according to coaches and the depth chart. We don't have DT and Sanders, but we have a respectable receiving corps again and that's huge.

Again, thinking you are better than the complete junk KC put out there last year because its not last years guys is a fallacy. It is not proven yet than any of those guys will make the WR group better than last year. It is wishful thinking.

5) the comment about Peters wasn't my comment, I was just the messenger...the comment came from either Dick Lebeau or Dom Capers through a text to Dorsey right after the pick...and it wasn't just the best corner, it was the best DB. We have draft niks, too (I've drafted in the CP mock since 2010 and have a nice track record, go look if you'd like) and Peters was the unanimous choice for who we wanted on CP. when he was our pick, the place blew up like it did when we picked Berry at 5. He's going to be very good.

Good for KC fans, you got what you wanted! For John Dorsey to publish that text is surprising though. You do not do that at that level without permission from the guy who evaluated that player and in confidence. Personally, I spoke with a bunch of people about him and he is very talented. Yet, you missed what was said about talent. Talent does NOT make you an NFL player, skill does. Tons of uber talented CB's have failed in this league, because they can not come to grips with the details needed to succeed at this level. The reason Chris Harris is rated so high here is that everyone in the NFL missed the fact of how skilled he is as a CB. He is not the elite athlete with all the measurables of Patrick Peterson, Derrell Revis, Vontae Davis or even Aqib Talib. He is simply extremely gifted at reading players, routes, situations, and throws like Richard Sherman. You can not argue about success and he has been very successful. You are relying on unknowns and unproven talent to be your top 3. On paper you may be right, but let's wait to anoint them until they prove it first.

6) we have very few spots that we don't have considerable depth at, throughout the roster. Lots of starters from last year are now depth with starting experience. The fact that we had 5 or 6 guys signed to other teams after cut downs speaks volumes to our teams depth.

Not really. You have guys, just like everyone else. That did NOT work out too well last year did it? You do have some very good injured players back, but that is it. You did an OK job in FA, but that is unproven how it will work. If you had a playoff winning recipe with long term vets who have played for you as backups then you just might have a valid point. Until then, it is wishful thinking.

7) Fisher was moved not so much for his inability to play LT, but the facts that he was outplayed at LT by our 2012 third rounder Donald Stephenson and the team had nobody that can effectively play RT besides him with a run of 3 DpOTY candidates in weeks 1-3 that all line up over the RT, or to his outside shoulder. If Donald Stephensin could play RT, Fisher would still be the LT in KC.

Not buying this in the least. Fisher struggled in pass protection and you do not move a better LT to RT for that reason. You protect a weaker RT with shifting protections to help against said pass rushers. I have a lot more faith in Andy Reid than you do if you believe that!
1) You're right on Alex, he's probably not going to become a playmaking QB, and statistics don't win games, but turnover ratio does. That's where Alex fits in to teams, he doesn't lose the game for you by turning the ball over. He is also very proficient at spreading the ball around and we have speed and playmaking ability everywhere on offense, now. That's a winning combination.

2) Totally disagree on our current safeties. We are 5 deep and we were damn good last year with just Abdullah and Parker (#2 pass defense in NFL)..now, we get Berry back and add a healthy Tyvon Branch, who is a very physical box safety that can cover tight ends, as well. Very similar player to your own TJ Ward.

3) Kelce played all 16 games and was a receiving threat right away, last year. Not sure where your "teams now have game tape on him" line comes in...they had tape on him right away and his production increased throughout the year.

4) Take a look at Alex Smiths production once Thomas and Wilson got healthy and up to speed in the playbook...in his last 3 games, Alex had 901 passing yards once he had a couple guys he could trust out there. Now, he has them, Jeremy Maclin, Kelce after a full offseason and we get Harris back. It's not just my opinion, we have a small sample size of real data to figure in, too.

5) Completely fair post.

6) On the OL, we have lots of starting experience as depth. Jeff Allen has started 2 years at LG and can play anywhere but center. Fulton has started one year at RG and can play any of the interior line spots....I'm not sold on our OL, but I see a lot of potential.

7) Andy Reid is who said EXACTLY what I relayed. The reason they moved Fisher was because they feel Fisher is just as good on either side and Stephenson is no good at right tackle. When Terez Paylor followed up that comment with a question about this being a demotion and Andy got very testy with him. Andy sees the chemistry with LDT and Fisher and the chemistry with Grubbs and Stephenson and wants that pairing for the line. Our right guard is a very impressive young man.
BossChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #14991
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Boom!

BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #14992
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post

Even a blind squirrel ..............
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #14993
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I think the Broncos could very well be a playoff team if Manning posted a QBR in the 50 range, barring a catastrophic injury stack or the team straight-up rejecting Kubiak’s leadership and quitting on him altogether. The team around him is good enough to justify a playoff run with a mediocre quarterback if it plays close to how it performed in 2014. And if Manning actually does return to his early 2014 form (let alone his historically great 2013 numbers), this could quickly become one of the best teams in football, if not the best.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nf...he-contenders/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #14994
BossChief
AFCCG or bust

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center...d-797d21e34365
Old 09-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #14995
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not really. Peyton makes a hell of a lot more money than ELI. He will be happy for his little brother even though he is already a very rich man too.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #14996
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Is that John Clayton picking the Denver Broncos as AFC champs??
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #14997
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well there are two idiots, well I would say guys with homer soft spots that really don't believe the picks they made. Sal Pal is giving his buddy Andy a plug and Dilfer feels sorry for a slap dick game manager like he was in Smith.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #14998
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Jeez most pick the NFC to win the SB and more than half of those picked the Packers. I'm not sure about the Packers. They have some tough injuries and I think their division is going to be harder for them this year. Also at Adrian Peterson winning MVP, Berman. He's definitely not with leather.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #14999
BossChief
AFCCG or bust

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Suddenly, I'm a much bigger fan of Trent Dilfer and Sal Palontonio.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #15000
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I just don't see how GB is getting all this respect when their defense is very suspect.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote