The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2018, 05:52 AM   #1
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

Unban LongDong

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly
Default The Kirk Cousins is Dead to Us Mega-Thread

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-more-likely-than-not-that-cousins-signs-with-broncos/

And now, for your daily Kirk Cousins update.
Upon speaking to those in the know at this week's Senior Bowl practices, Eric Galko of the Sporting News holds steadfast in his belief that Cousins will sign with the Broncos.
This, after the rumor mill on Wednesday churned out word they'll make a "huge run" at the current Redskins field general.

this essentially is a continuation of what Galko reported earlier this month -- that Denver has "made it clear to those close to Cousins that they’re ready to make a big offer." Emphasis on "big."
Cousins, according to respected draft analyst Tony Pauline, is seeking an annual salary "in excess" of $25 million

Last edited by ShaneFalco; 01-27-2018 at 05:54 AM..
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So the report is basically this guy's tweet:

GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
Ratboy
I want pure energy

ಠ_ಠ

A nobody with zero ties to Denver.

I trust Taco John and his sources over this guy.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

If Kirk isnt tagged, i fully expect Elway to go after him. Too many people have said it as well.

I'd prefer Baker though if he's there.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

I’m really hoping Cousins goes to the Browns
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

"If they sign Kirk, I don’t expect a QB at 5. "

Brilliant!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

"I asked a lot of people this week"

"I make sure to not say that I spoke to people in the Broncos organization, it looks better this way than me saying I asked my cat."
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #8
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

Bring the pain

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

I live in the DC area so I've seen plenty of Cousins. His production is a ton of empty calories, he takes too many sacks and his receivers have whispered that he gets them killed by throwing them into huge hits.

If the goal is to go 10-6 and lose in the first-round of the playoffs, then hope the Broncos sign him. If your standard is Super Bowls, Cousins will keep Denver treading water for years. He is the John Fox of quarterbacks.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
Shananahan
#snakelife

BLASTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
So the report is basically this guy's tweet:

It's not about the information, it's about the reaction the information creates.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #10
Shananahan
#snakelife

BLASTED

Why does the link in the original post route to a yahoo page before the real article?
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #11
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
A nobody with zero ties to Denver.

I trust Taco John and his sources over this guy.

What did TJ say?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:34 AM   #12
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
What did TJ say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Sorry to spam this, but I want to post this just one more time for people who are just coming into the discussion. Some important information here...

I talked with a buddy that I have in the Denver media and got some very interesting news and rumors that I thought I'd share here.

First, he said that the general feeling around Dove Valley is that the Broncos would NOT be getting into a bidding war for Kirk Cousins. The Broncos like him, but "they don't $21 million dollar" like him, and they're not about to get into a bidding war over him. First, the guy hasn't won a lot. The argument for that is that he hasn't got the help in Washington, which is all fine and good, except that if the Broncos pay him, he won't get a lot of help in Denver either. The dynamics aren't right. They like him, but it doesn't look likely.

The Broncos are not making an attempt to sign Osweiller. They are also going to be trying to trade Trevor Seimian (and are stuck with Lynch for now). Apparently, Osweiller would like to stay in Denver, even as a back-up, but it sounds like the Broncos would just as soon turn the page.

The Broncos aren't wild about the current crop of rookie quarterbacks. It's unlikely that they'll draft one with the first round pick, despite what the media draft sites predict. They like, not love Baker Mayfield, and if he's available in the second round, they might pull the trigger. They've met with Allen, Mayfield, and Falk and Rudolph. They haven't yet met with Darnald or Rosen (that should tell you something). A lot of the media joked that Elway would fall in love with Josh Allen (Giraffe prototype), but he didn't have a great workout at Senior day and, again, the Broncos do not want a quarterback from this class in the position they are drafting. If they're available in the second, they like Rudolph, Mayfield, and Falk perhaps at that spot if they fall.

Clearly QB is a problem. He gave me a couple early scenarios to look out for. The first is that we go running-focused. He says Vance is lobbying for trading up to two and taking Sequon Barkley (provided the Browns don't take him at #1). The idea there is that the Broncos could do like Dallas did with Ezekiel Elliot in 2016, and pound the hell out of the ball. In this scenario, the Browns take a QB at #1, and the Giants would still get the second pick QB at #5, and not have to pay him like a #2. This could work.

The other scenario, and this might sound crazy, but if the Broncos stayed at #5, one early scenario is taking Quenton Nelson, G of Notre Dame, who is seen as a potential Larry Allen type. They feel like adding him to the squad would go a long ways towards cementing in a good Oline for years to come with some of the young talent they have currently (Leary and Bolles in particular).

As far as Veteran QBs go, look to the Minnesota Vikings. I'm told the Broncos like all three guys as potential options. Case Keenum is very interesting to the Broncos. Kubiak tried to trade for him when he was on the Rams but they wanted too much. Apparently Keenum knows the Musgrave terminology, so he'd be ahead of the curve. He's basically a poor man's Kirk Cousins. If that doesn't pan out, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford could be the picks. The Broncos tried to trade for Bradford once before as well. Tyrod Taylor, who Kubiak tried to trade for, was mentioned as well, but the feeling is that it's unlikely as it would require a trade, and it would probably be too costly for what he is: a stopgap, not a QBOTF. I'm told there is little chance of the Broncos pursuing Kaep. They tried to make a deal for him, but would pay him no more than $7mil. The Niners opted to swallow the full $12 million rather than eat the $5 mil hoping that they could find a better situation. It fell through. Now he's been out of the NFL too long to bother with. Good for us.

There is expected to be a lot of dealing. The rumor is that Broncos would like to trade Sanders. He's expensive and a locker room problem. They'd like to trade Talib. They've got almost $30 million locked up in CBs and Roby's 5th year option kicks in this year. They will try to restructure DT this offseason. They still like him a great deal. He's aging but he's a great locker room presence and they feel like he can be a valuable security blanket for whoever they bring in. CJ Anderson will probably be cut this offseason.

I think that about sums it up. Take it for what it's worth.
^
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #13
Endzo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's going to be Nelson at 5. Man that'll be awesome.
Endzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #14
Punisher
ģ Paxton Leaf- Ryan Lynch

97,98,2015 Champs WOOOOOOOOOOOO!ģ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

If Elway doesn’t sign Cousins we stink for 3 more years
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #15
Punisher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

And it doesn’t help that the team is in the AFC West we’ll be 5-11 for 3 years please for the love of god sign Cousins
Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
And it doesnít help that the team is in the AFC West weíll be 5-11 for 3 years please for the love of god sign Cousins
**** that. Let's find our Wentz or Watson and have a fun 15 year rivalry with Mahomes and Carr, not a $30m 30 year old with one playoff appearance.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
69bronco
Ring of Famer

overpayed and underachieved
69bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #18
Punisher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
**** that. Let's find our Wentz or Watson and have a fun 15 year rivalry with Mahomes and Carr, not a $30m 30 year old with one playoff appearance.
Super Bowl contenders with Cousins and none of these QBs in the draft are a franchise QB
Old 01-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
^
Thanks! From what I know there is mutual interest between Cousins and Denver. They wonít overspend for him though. Of all the three Min QBís, Keenum would be preferable. Other 2 are either injury prone or coming off a massive knee injury.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
Super Bowl contenders with Cousins and none of these QBs in the draft are a franchise QB
I'm ok with Cousins but hard to not fall in love with Baker as a prospect. He's so fun.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzo View Post
It's going to be Nelson at 5. Man that'll be awesome.

Barkley (think heíll be gone at 1), Chubbs, Nelson
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #22
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

3-13 please

Quote:
If Elway doesnít sign Cousins we stink for 3 more years
We could also strengthen our core for next decade as well. Its no fun to be bad but, it is needed when your bad drafting in RD 123 like we have been. Quick fixes aren't always the answer. O needs a strong OL and a Von Miller weapon I'll take a few 5-11 seasons to reload and fill holes with quality talent vs going 10-6 and praying we get 1 pick right.

FO needs good drafting and good trades to aquire more quality picks next few drafts as well. FO has alot to prove in this area they are very bad at it. Its even more crucial if we do sign Cousins.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 01-27-2018 at 09:16 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

3-13 please

We aren't in the same shape talent wise to take on $$$ for a Cousins like we were with PFM that's my #1 issue against it. Add poor drafting sure doesn't sell it either. Also it almost guarantees Nelson at 5. I'd prefer to move down to 10 first for Nelson or OL.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #24
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
We aren't in the same shape talent wise to take on $$$ for a Cousins like we were with PFM that's my #1 issue against it. Add poor drafting sure doesn't sell it either. Also it almost guarantees Nelson at 5. I'd prefer to move down to 10 first for Nelson or OL.
I donít mind moving down for a solid talent but we are at 5 for a reason. Get a difference maker and stop trying to add another 3rd round nobody that you reach for anyway. Too many Sambraillos and reaches in past drafts are killing us.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #25
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

3-13 please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
I donít mind moving down for a solid talent but we are at 5 for a reason. Get a difference maker and stop trying to add another 3rd round nobody that you reach for anyway. Too many Sambraillos and reaches in past drafts are killing us.
Thanks alot but, your correct here too . I wish we drafted alot better.