The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #101
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
A question for you dividend investors out there:

If a guy had, say $5,000 burning a hole in his portfolio, what would be your picks for someone new to dividend investment, and why?
Fed, it depends on your goal.

If you have an immediate need for dividend income, AT&T would be a good choice with their 5.7% yield. The year to year dividend growth for T is like 2% because they dont have much breathing room to grow the dividend right now but after they complete their acquisition of DirecTV, their dividend growth will pick up in a few years. Utilities are good if you need cash now and they are low risk even in recessions, but the dividends themselves won't grow much year to year. If your need is immediate income, tobacco companies also provide consistently high yields as they usually return 80 percent of earnings to shareholders. The downside is that it is a declining industry so there may not be much if any dividend growth there. One exception is Altria (MO). As Colorado Darin has pointed out, this is maybe the best run company on the planet. They are able to increase revenues despite a smaller and smaller share of the public smoking. They can do this because they have super popular brands (Marlboro) which can sustain price increases, and they are also more diversified than other tobacco companies because they also have stakes in the wine industry and have a huge stake in an alcoholic beverage giant (as well as popular smokeless and e-cig products) which gives them other income to counterbalance the decline in cigarette use. Therefore, this would be both a good short term income and long term dividend growth play. McDonalds is also a cash cow but are facing an uncertain future so if you need immediate income, this is a good choice with a nice yield that's supported by earnings, but the dividend growth is up in the air depending on how well the new CEO does to re energize their struggling brand. The same is true for Coke. It's solid and with a decent yield but they have questions about their future growth.

If you do not need the dividend income right now and are fine reinvesting your dividends for more shares for the long term (this is the best path if possible, the single best advice I can give is to reinvest the dividends, avoid the temptation to take the cash) there are other great options too. JNJ just hiked their divvy a nice 7% once again (which is a common increase for them) and have a lot of room to grow. PG is a good long term hold. They are going thru some issues right now in restructuring and shedding unoerforming brands and they are being hurt by the strong dollar which crimped their dividend growth this year to 3% ( it's usually 7-9%) but I expect long term they will be back in the 7% range. They have a lot of consumer staples that people always buy rain or shine like Tide, Crest, Pampers etc. Chevron and Exxon Mobil are great long term plays. They have nice dividends right now (especially Chevron), but if you can wait and reinvest it will be nicer when we get past this oil glut. You can get them at cheaper prices right now due to the oil glut, but if you don't need the money now, they will grow their dividend in the 10% range when prices pick up. Actually even if you needed the money right now, CVX would still be good for you with their high current yield. On the topic of oil, I like Kinder Morgan too. They are in the oil and gas pipeline business and a lot of their earnings are fee based so they are a little safer from the up and downs of oil prices. They have a massive pipeline outfit in the US and have been growing their dividend rapidly. Pepsi also has the promise of good dividend growth because unlike Coke they are more diversified with their ownership of popular snack products like Frito-Lay to offset people's desires to move away from soda.

Some other companies which have been growing their dividend and have quite a bit more room to grow them but maybe not great present yields are Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) and Caterpillar (CAT). Good long term payouts for both. If you wish to get into REITs, HCP is my favorite for the long term due to population aging (all they own are health care properties) but if you want income every single month of the year rather than quarterly, Realty Income is solid (O). IBM is a good long term play if you don't need the income right now, although it is an expensive stock. But their dividend growth rate is awesome and they have the room to keep growing it. It's just their current yield won't excite you.

Depends on your goal. My own goal is to create a second little pension that I can draw on in retirement without having to sell the stocks. I plan on retiring in 21-23 years from now (age 55-57 at that time) and I'd like to get 6-7 dividend checks every month at that point to supplement my work pension. Goal is for the work pension to kick out around 55-65% of my normal pre-retirement income (at 55, I'd get 56%, if I waited till 57, it would be about 65%), with dividends making up another 25% and an IRA making up 10-15%, so I don't need it now.

Full Disclosure: Long CVX, MCD, JNJ, PG, HCP, MO, T, KO and I also plan on establishing positions in EMR, BNS, ADM, KMI very soon and maybe WMT and O in the near future.
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 04-26-2015 at 11:23 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #102
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Fed, it depends on your goal.
Wow, Thanks SolCal. That's a nice primer and a good kick start for research. It's much appreciated!

Right now outside my retirement accounts I have almost entirely growth stocks and/or mixed holdings which are not great on the dividend side (e.g. AAPL). Inside the retirement accounts I have mostly mutual funds, and some of those have dividend holdings but not a lot.

Like you my goal is to build a retirement income for around the 20 year horizon while still having something significant to pass on to kids, etc. Also I want to hedge against recessions even though my retirement is well off in the event I want or need to pull out a major chunk of money for a large expense.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #103
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Decided to sell 43% of my position in McDonalds to buy some PepsiCo and Philip Morris International. This isn't an indictment on MCD. Their new CEO Steve Easterbrook did a nice job rebuilding their brand in Europe, I'm sure he will eventually turn them around and I like the current dividend yield too, but I feel I am nonetheless too heavy in this stock right now. It comprises almost as much of my portfolio as Chevron and Johnson & Johnson and it has a bigger share than Proctor & Gamble. While I value the stock, I like the other three more and I think MCD should be a smaller share. I'm also interested to see how well they are able to sustain the dividend going forward.

PEP is something I've wanted to get into for awhile. It's more diversified than Coke and thus will continue to have stronger dividend growth. I have some shares in KO and will keep buying more, but I really should have more PEP than KO based on the inherent superiority of PEPs current business. By the end of the year, I'll have more PEP than KO. Ironically, it comes at a time in my life where I am making a strong effort to go cold turkey on Coca Cola and Pepsi and all sodas in fact. That doesn't stop me from taking their money though.

PM is very attractive with their huge divvy. It is not as diversified as Altria so I will be careful to always make sure I have more Altria than Philip Morris Intl as I think Altria will have better dividend growth the next few years, as PM will need to resort to more buy backs to artificially pump up EPS to increase the divvy. Nonetheless, it has been a goal for awhile to get in on both of these top tobacco stocks.

I'm planning in June on spending a nice chunk of change to add to existing positions in Kinder Morgan, Bank of Nova Scotia, Coca Cola, AT&T and establish new positions in Emerson Electric and Archer Daniels Midland.

I've been toying with selling some Chevron to buy Exxon Mobil, in light of Chevrons fifth straight quarter at the same dividend rate (gulp....dividend freeze) although I suppose technically their dividend aristocrat streak is still alive if you look at year to year, but ultimately decided against that because once we get thru this oil glut Chevron is much better positioned to grow their dividend faster than XOM. I'll get some XOM in 2016 though, just not at the cost of selling CVX shares.

I've got purchases planned out till the end of the year, starting to plan for 2016. 2016 will be the year of getting into XOM and probably adding two more high dividend growth but low current yield stocks (likely MMM and IBM) and increasing positions in the other existing 14 stocks. I'll keep an eye out early next year to see if Wal-Mart gets back to their usual generous divvy increase or if they are stingy for the 4th year in a row. They certainly have the room to grow it.

Dividend investing is so much better than "growth" stocks. I would go crazy worrying about the stock prices everyday and trying to time the market. This is much easier and I love getting paid just to hold a stock, without having to sell and kill the golden goose. It is like Dividend Mantra says, it really is a snowball which will turn into avalanche in time if you keep rolling it and rolling with with new capital, dividend reinvestment and yearly dividend increases. This is gonna be awesome when I retire in 23 years.
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #104
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
I have to bump my message here as VSLR (I dont have SCTY) was around $8 at the time of that post. Over $14 today and in a beautiful trend channel.

Hey, you know what they say about squirrels and nuts.

If you believe the residential solar thesis, a very new IPO is SEGD which a parts manufacturer for solar panels.
Bump for a 40% gain on this one so far.

Full disclosure... money was on the sideline and didnt follow my own advice!
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #105
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Good stuff SoCal

Jekyll found 2 nuts, eh squirrel?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #106
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Officially joined the investing world yesterday with my first online trade

OH GOD IT DROPPED 29 CENTS SELL SELL SELL.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #107
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post

Old 05-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #108
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post

You are OK, unless of course, it was only 30 cents to begin with. In that case, you're ****ed!
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #109
jutang
Ring of Famer

Any thoughts out there on using life insurance as an investment vehicle. My life insurance rep keeps bring it up as an option as a tax shelter. Tax wise I am in the upper bracket. Do the fees of a whole life or variable universal life outweigh capital gains tax?

I am in my mid thirties. Plan to work until 65-70 ish. My investment strategy has been throw most stuff into low fee index funds with an 80% stocks (50/50 domestic international mix) and 20% bonds.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:13 AM   #110
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
Any thoughts out there on using life insurance as an investment vehicle. My life insurance rep keeps bring it up as an option as a tax shelter. Tax wise I am in the upper bracket. Do the fees of a whole life or variable universal life outweigh capital gains tax?

I am in my mid thirties. Plan to work until 65-70 ish. My investment strategy has been throw most stuff into low fee index funds with an 80% stocks (50/50 domestic international mix) and 20% bonds.
It's generally not a good idea unless you are incapable of saving the $$$ difference between the term and whole life policies
Old 06-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #111
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Made some purchases today that I had been planning on for awhile.

1. Added to my position in Kinder Morgan. I really love this business. I know they are having some issues right now, but the 10% dividend increases per year thru 2020 guidance from Rich Kinder is really enticing- and he's got the biggest stake in it than anyone as he makes a dollar in salary, everything else is dividends. I like the fee based aspect of this pipeline business, it helps to offset volatility from oil prices. This is the biggest oil and gas pipeline company in the country. I anticipate continuing to add to my position for a long time.

2. Established a position in Archer Daniels Midland. The dividend yield here is only 2.12% but there is a ton of room to grow it. The payout ratio is only 26% and that's even with a 5 year dividend growth rate of about 11%. Looks like there should be further earnings growth as well which will also help fuel dividend growth. Current PE is 13 and Forward is 15. An excellent PEG ratio of 2.06 in this market. Also a dividend aristocrat, which is the case for most of my holdings.

3. Established a position in Emerson Electric. This is maybe my favorite Industrial, because it's so solid and consistent. A dividend aristocrat and at 59 bucks a share today, it comes at a good price with a PE of 15.88 and a solid PEG of 2.36 so there should be revenue to grow the dividend. Payout ratio is 47 percent, which is again really nice. Dividend growth isn't explosive, but it's around 6 percent a year, which is fine with me, especially with a current yield above 3% at this price. I've been waiting a long time to get in on Emerson and will continue to add this year and next.

4. Added to my position in the Bank of Nova Scotia. This is my only current foreign investment but this is my favorite of the Canadian banks. Tremendous value with a PE of 11.67, Forward PE 11.31 and a great PEG ratio at 1.63. The yield is already very juicy at 4.08 percent but between expected earnings growth and a low payout ratio under 50, this dividend stock looks awesome. I'm usually very wary of investing in foreign stocks, much less financial institutions, but this one is an exception.

Later this month, I plan on selling about about a third of my Chevron shares to establish a position in Exxon Mobil. I still love Chevron (even with their dividend freeze), but I need some exposure to its big brother, too, without devoting new resources to the energy industry, as I am already heavy there. Also going to sell some (43% of the position) McDonalds to get in on PepsiCo and Philip Morris Intl. I'm trying to diversify, although in terms of sectors my portfolio is still very heavily weighted towards Consumer Staples and Energy.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-05-2015 at 12:33 AM..
Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 AM   #112
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

I got into FEYE a few weeks ago, it's the leading cybersecurity company, up about 25% on it already and will be up again today with it's deal with VISA and the (ever present) hacking news.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #113
Luvva
The Orange MAINE Guy

I love everyone....except a-holes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Snowgoose

Quote:
I can't find the old one so I thought I would start a new one since it's the offseason. I'm really into dividend investing right now. I think it's a terrific way to build up passive income. Right now, I'm building up my positions in a core 9-10 holdings and then I'll supplement it from there in the coming years. Ultimately, I'd like to have about 20 different companies, as it is hard to really pay attention and monitor things if it gets too much bigger than that (especially when you have to devote 45-50 hours a week to a real job). Since I'm only 34, I still have the compounding power of time on my side as I do not anticipate retiring from my day job for another 21-23 years.

I'm really excited about this, though. I've put about 50k into it during the last 4 months and am looking to add another 10k this year and every year thereafter. I'm a very, very conservative risk averse investor so my focus is almost exclusively on blue chip dividend aristocrats rather than chasing yields.

What types of investments are you excited about?
At your age, you shouldn't shun some risk because, as you seem to know, time is on your side. Use it.

I'd recommend 10% of your portfolio go into some high growth potential sectors like tech or biotech. You have to be able to stomach some volatility, but history has shown, over time the trend is always up.

Also, spend a little time and get your head around options. Yes risky, but with the right stocks and the right timing, the leverage gained with options will blow your socks off.
Luvva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #114
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvva View Post
At your age, you shouldn't sgun some risk because, as you seem to know, time is on your side. Use it.

I'd recommend 10% of your portfolio go into some high growth potential sectors like tech or biotech. You have to be able to stomach some volatility, but history has shown, over time the trend is always up.

Also, spend a little time and get your head around options. Yes risky, but with the right stocks and the right timing, the leverage gained with options will blow your socks off.
I'm not a fan of "growth" stocks conceptually. I dont need the aggravation of the ups and downs of the market. I have no desire to try and time the market, worry about when to get in and when to sell, cap gains tax etc. And dividends have been almost half of the total returns in the S&P historically, anyway, so "growth" stocks are overrated, anyway.

Im not going to get into options, either. I prefer to keep it simple. All i want is a growing stream of dividend income that can ultimately replace about 30% of my final pre-retirement net income. As i have 21-23 years before that point, it shouldnt be too hard to do. Ive already sunk alot of principal in the last year and i continue to add fresh capital every month. Just have to keep reinvesting dividends and doggedly adding more capital each month.

Eventually i will have a nice army of dividend stocks pumping out gobs of cash each month. It can sometimes be tough to figure out how many stocks i should have in my portfolio since i want to be able to devote sufficient time to monitor each while balancing a full time job. I also would like diversification. At the end of June, ill have 15 holdings. I suspect i probably shouldnt have more than 25-30 at any given point (ofcourse replacing some with others when there are inevitable dividend cuts or other significant changes to the business). I prefer owning the stocks directly rather than ETFs or other funds. I find the yields are better and im not a fan of the fees.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #115
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I got into FEYE a few weeks ago, it's the leading cybersecurity company, up about 25% on it already and will be up again today with it's deal with VISA and the (ever present) hacking news.
Up 6 and a 1/2 percent today, wish I had more than 2% of my portfolio in it, but alas, I don't make big bets on fliers.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #116
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Made some purchases today that I had been planning on for awhile.

1. Added to my position in Kinder Morgan. I really love this business. I know they are having some issues right now, but the 10% dividend increases per year thru 2020 guidance from Rich Kinder is really enticing- and he's got the biggest stake in it than anyone as he makes a dollar in salary, everything else is dividends. I like the fee based aspect of this pipeline business, it helps to offset volatility from oil prices. This is the biggest oil and gas pipeline company in the country. I anticipate continuing to add to my position for a long time.

2. Established a position in Archer Daniels Midland. The dividend yield here is only 2.12% but there is a ton of room to grow it. The payout ratio is only 26% and that's even with a 5 year dividend growth rate of about 11%. Looks like there should be further earnings growth as well which will also help fuel dividend growth. Current PE is 13 and Forward is 15. An excellent PEG ratio of 2.06 in this market. Also a dividend aristocrat, which is the case for most of my holdings.

3. Established a position in Emerson Electric. This is maybe my favorite Industrial, because it's so solid and consistent. A dividend aristocrat and at 59 bucks a share today, it comes at a good price with a PE of 15.88 and a solid PEG of 2.36 so there should be revenue to grow the dividend. Payout ratio is 47 percent, which is again really nice. Dividend growth isn't explosive, but it's around 6 percent a year, which is fine with me, especially with a current yield above 3% at this price. I've been waiting a long time to get in on Emerson and will continue to add this year and next.

4. Added to my position in the Bank of Nova Scotia. This is my only current foreign investment but this is my favorite of the Canadian banks. Tremendous value with a PE of 11.67, Forward PE 11.31 and a great PEG ratio at 1.63. The yield is already very juicy at 4.08 percent but between expected earnings growth and a low payout ratio under 50, this dividend stock looks awesome. I'm usually very wary of investing in foreign stocks, much less financial institutions, but this one is an exception.

Later this month, I plan on selling about about a third of my Chevron shares to establish a position in Exxon Mobil. I still love Chevron (even with their dividend freeze), but I need some exposure to its big brother, too, without devoting new resources to the energy industry, as I am already heavy there. Also going to sell some (43% of the position) McDonalds to get in on PepsiCo and Philip Morris Intl. I'm trying to diversify, although in terms of sectors my portfolio is still very heavily weighted towards Consumer Staples and Energy.
You may want to hold those CVX shares. Word on them is they hold a ton of natural gas rights in Australia and there is a very big and close market that will demand natural gas in China. May be an excellent long term play. Sometimes I wish I was younger.
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #117
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

And I was surprised to see Diageo (DEO) up 8%, just found out there is a LBO rumor.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #118
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Just ignoring the Roethlisburger I got on MO, PM and OHI today...
Old 06-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #119
Luvva
The Orange MAINE Guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Snowgoose

Quote:
I'm not a fan of "growth" stocks conceptually. I dont need the aggravation of the ups and downs of the market. I have no desire to try and time the market, worry about when to get in and when to sell, cap gains tax etc. And dividends have been almost half of the total returns in the S&P historically, anyway, so "growth" stocks are overrated, anyway.

Im not going to get into options, either. I prefer to keep it simple. All i want is a growing stream of dividend income that can ultimately replace about 30% of my final pre-retirement net income. As i have 21-23 years before that point, it shouldnt be too hard to do. Ive already sunk alot of principal in the last year and i continue to add fresh capital every month. Just have to keep reinvesting dividends and doggedly adding more capital each month.

Eventually i will have a nice army of dividend stocks pumping out gobs of cash each month. It can sometimes be tough to figure out how many stocks i should have in my portfolio since i want to be able to devote sufficient time to monitor each while balancing a full time job. I also would like diversification. At the end of June, ill have 15 holdings. I suspect i probably shouldnt have more than 25-30 at any given point (ofcourse replacing some with others when there are inevitable dividend cuts or other significant changes to the business). I prefer owning the stocks directly rather than ETFs or other funds. I find the yields are better and im not a fan of the fees.
I can't argue with your approach. Over time you will do very nicely with that philosophy. Nothing wrong with dividend and value investing...a proven long-term winner. I invest a fair amount of my capital in those types of stocks, tho I do tend to trade in and out of them to grab some gains.

For example, I've owned AT&T for the dividends for many years, but I have also sold my entire holdings in it twice in the past 3 years and later re-invested at a lower price to start the process over again. Obviously I get nailed for some CG taxes in the process, but I then make some money on the capital while AT&T is drifting around at the low end of its range, which seems to be $32.-$36.50 . I see that it has started to move up a bit the past two weeks.

Bershire-B has provided some nice growth for me (26 % in the past year and a half) as well as some nice diversification without all the work. And Warren re-invests all the dividends for me!

I think you are correct in limiting the number of stocks you invest in.....only so many you can keep abreast of if you want to do your own research and make your own decisions. That's how I started out too, and the biggest problem I had was research and coming up with enough good stocks to get all my capital invested while trying to stay diversified.

I've had to re-think mutual funds to help solve the problem because they have been much, much better recently than leaving money idling away in a core cash account. I use Fidelity and have some money in their Blue Chip and 500 Index funds, both of which have returned just under 12% in the past 14 months. I also have enjoyed the gains from their biotech fund (FBIOX) in several different accounts I have, ranging from 50% to 79% over the past 18 to 24 months. I do keep an eye on this one very carefully, as the run-up in biotech has been extraordinary and I want to be on top of things when the party ends!

I have a sizeable stake in Apple as a result of a great option I purchased then exorcised because I felt the stock was going to keep going....and it did, though it is now stalled around $130. But with the phenomenal success if the Iphone6, the expanding markets, the Iwatch, etc., I expect it to continue growing for awhile yet.

I also have been in and out of various Apple suppliers with either stock purchases or options and have done pretty well. Currently, Avago. Qorvo and Skyworks Solutions are stocks I am holding for growth.

Last edited by Luvva; 06-05-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Old 06-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #120
Luvva
The Orange MAINE Guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Snowgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMan View Post
You may want to hold those CVX shares. Word on them is they hold a ton of natural gas rights in Australia and there is a very big and close market that will demand natural gas in China. May be an excellent long term play. Sometimes I wish I was younger.
I always wish I was younger when it comes to investing
Old 06-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #121
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMan View Post
Yeah I know they have the Gorgon and Wheatstone LNG projects in Australia they have put a lot of money into that are about to come online next year I think.

I think Chevron has a lot of potential to grow, but I still didn't want to be limited to that stock among the major oil producers. I've got 103 CVX shares, which is too big a percentage of my current portfolio. I was gonna swap 33 shares for 40 XOM, as the latter is just a little more financially stable right now (considering that they were able to still provide a healthy dividend increase this year despite the oil glut, which CVX was unable to do). I was still gonna keep 70 shares of CVX.

You don't think I should sell any at all? I think it's risky having all the money I have in Energy (not including Kinder Morgan) all tied up in just CVX, even with their potential growth prospects.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #122
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

RIP TGN & Baja, TY for the memories

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gig'em #58

I have almost all of my investments in very aggressive funds. The last three years has been phenomenal... looking at around 18% growth per year on average with one year growing at almost 30%. So I have a pretty good amount of money sitting in accounts that could just as easily dump 20% should the market correct. Seriously thinking about pulling the money out and letting it sit in a very comfortable plan that will only gain 4 or 5 % but no risk of losing either. Then when the market corrects, I can throw it back in to the aggressive funds.

Thoughts?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #123
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I know they have the Gorgon and Wheatstone LNG projects in Australia they have put a lot of money into that are about to come online next year I think.

I think Chevron has a lot of potential to grow, but I still didn't want to be limited to that stock among the major oil producers. I've got 103 CVX shares, which is too big a percentage of my current portfolio. I was gonna swap 33 shares for 40 XOM, as the latter is just a little more financially stable right now (considering that they were able to still provide a healthy dividend increase this year despite the oil glut, which CVX was unable to do). I was still gonna keep 70 shares of CVX.

You don't think I should sell any at all? I think it's risky having all the money I have in Energy (not including Kinder Morgan) all tied up in just CVX, even with their potential growth prospects.
no, I have no idea about whether you should own one stock over another and it sounds as if you are a very educated investor and know what you own. I was just giving a heads up on CVX and there position for potential profit. I will say only one thing about investing in general, know your own risk tolerance and díversify and you will sleep well at night. And it is only money, there are more important things that can't be made right again as easily.
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #124
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
I have almost all of my investments in very aggressive funds. The last three years has been phenomenal... looking at around 18% growth per year on average with one year growing at almost 30%. So I have a pretty good amount of money sitting in accounts that could just as easily dump 20% should the market correct. Seriously thinking about pulling the money out and letting it sit in a very comfortable plan that will only gain 4 or 5 % but no risk of losing either. Then when the market corrects, I can throw it back in to the aggressive funds.

Thoughts?
It is very difficult to know when there is a correction, though. Heck I bet we are in a correction right now. The S&P is up only a little more than 1% YTD and should Greece default and/or institute capital controls, it will roil the markets further, as will the effect of the end of sanction on Iran which will allow them to dump their own oil on the market which will further exacerbate the oil glut. The market also tends to decline in the fall. I will bet that by NYE the market will have lost ground on the year.

My stocks are down 6% as compared to my cost basis and these are almost all high quality blue chips. I don't care about that because I'm a dividend investor and so I welcome a correction so that when the dividends get reinvested it buys me more stock and so I can keep purchasing more high quality dividend machines for good prices, but for growth investors I can see why you are concerned about the correction. It is very hard to time the market in the way you are suggesting though, BMan.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #125
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

SoCal, do you do any 401k, roth, etc? Or do you do strictly DGI brokerage investing?
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote