The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #76
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have a lot of the same core as SoCal.

Another underrated stock I added was Unilever. They have a lot of really solid brands that people buy, and will still buy even in a recession, and they are slowly trending up.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #77
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Mile High.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Anybody know what the best potential marijuana investments might be? All I can find is a bunch of pennystocks, I have no idea if they are good or not.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #78
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
I have a lot of the same core as SoCal.

Another underrated stock I added was Unilever. They have a lot of really solid brands that people buy, and will still buy even in a recession, and they are slowly trending up.
Unilever is another great consumer staple. Ultimately I will establish a position there but right now I need to spread the funds around as I already have a lot tied up in PG and JNJ so I'm going to diversify a bit more before returning to consumer goods.

Sold my entire position in ED today. Will be using a chunk of that money on Kinder Morgan and the Bank of Nova Scotia.

Debating GE or Emerson Electric for a piece of that money too.
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #79
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
On a more speculative notes, indirectly related note to the note about MLPs, the fall in oil has unfairly (IMO) penalized solar. In particular, I think there is a longer term stake to be played in the retail install side of the business. Leaders in this space today are SCTY and VSLR amongst others.
I have to bump my message here as VSLR (I dont have SCTY) was around $8 at the time of that post. Over $14 today and in a beautiful trend channel.

Hey, you know what they say about squirrels and nuts.

If you believe the residential solar thesis, a very new IPO is SEGD which a parts manufacturer for solar panels.
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:06 AM   #80
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
Anybody know what the best potential marijuana investments might be? All I can find is a bunch of pennystocks, I have no idea if they are good or not.
Altria - MO (aka Marlboro).

A few years ago, when the e-cigs were new, people kept wonder why Altria wasn't developing their own e-cig. Then they bought MarkTen (and Greensmoke) and are gaining market share rapidly, MT is now a top e-cig brand. If MJ is legalized nationwide, I'd expect Altria to jump into it, but by acquisition like they did with e-cigs. Otherwise, those pennystocks are just a high risk gamble.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #81
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Altria - MO (aka Marlboro).

A few years ago, when the e-cigs were new, people kept wonder why Altria wasn't developing their own e-cig. Then they bought MarkTen (and Greensmoke) and are gaining market share rapidly, MT is now a top e-cig brand. If MJ is legalized nationwide, I'd expect Altria to jump into it, but by acquisition like they did with e-cigs. Otherwise, those pennystocks are just a high risk gamble.
Yes, Altria will strike it rich when marijuana is fully legalized. There was a rumor a few years back that they patented "Marlboro Greens" just in case. With their infrastructure and delivery system, they could make a killing there, further diversifying their brand beyond tobacco cigarettes, which is a declining industry.

You mentioned MarkTen but the real gamechanger is their huge stake in SABMiller. They make a billion in dividends from that each year, which keeps rising every year.
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 04-21-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #82
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Yes, Altria will strike it rich when marijuana is fully legalized. There was a rumor a few years back that they patented "Marlboro Greens" just in case. With their infrastructure and delivery system, they could make a killing there, further diversifying their brand beyond tobacco cigarettes, which is a declining industry.

You mentioned MarkTen but the real gamechanger is their huge stake in SABMiller. They make a billion in dividends from that each year, which keeps rising every year.
I mentioned MarkTen because of the relevance to the question, but no doubt that their SABMiller stake is a goldmine. If I could only own one stock, it'd be MO.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #83
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

For the first time since 2000, the Japanese Nikkei closed over 20,000.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #84
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm encouraged that Coke might be turning it around. Solid earnings today. I still am not totally convinced in Muhtar Kent as CEO. They need to go the Pepsi route, more focus on popular supplementary snacks and less focus on actual carbonated soda. You can only get so far with consolidating operations and buying back shares. You gotta actually grow at some point.

I'm going to keep buying cause it's a cash cow and it's hard to ruin a brand like Coke but it could be a lot better.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #85
Meck77

Quote:
I'm encouraged that Coke might be turning it around. Solid earnings today. I still am not totally convinced in Muhtar Kent as CEO. They need to go the Pepsi route, more focus on popular supplementary snacks and less focus on actual carbonated soda. You can only get so far with consolidating operations and buying back shares. You gotta actually grow at some point.

I'm going to keep buying cause it's a cash cow and it's hard to ruin a brand like Coke but it could be a lot better.
I buy coke. Use it to clean the oil off driveways at rentals. That's some nasty **** but works. Next time you all slug down a coke think of coke eating away oil off my driveway. I'm sure it does wonders to the human stomach!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #86
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I buy coke. Use it to clean the oil off driveways at rentals. That's some nasty **** but works. Next time you all slug down a coke think of coke eating away oil off my driveway. I'm sure it does wonders to the human stomach!
How many rentals do you have?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #87
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Johnson and Johnson - JNJ just increased their dividend, sporting a 3% yield right now.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #88
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Johnson and Johnson - JNJ just increased their dividend, sporting a 3% yield right now.
Another 7% hike! That's my second largest holding (behind CVX) for good reason. Lots of increases to come too because of their low payout ratio.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #89
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Another 7% hike! That's my second largest holding (behind CVX) for good reason. Lots of increases to come too because of their low payout ratio.
My 3rd largest, just barely though.

I hold CVX too, should be an increase coming soon from them too.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #90
ak1971
uhhhh

You dip****s still buying gold?
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #91
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
Don't have any gold. I stick exclusively to dividend stocks, although I may be buying some silver eagles soon.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #92
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

I am officially debt free in about 2 1/2 months. I have a company cellphone so literally my only non-housing monthly expense is vehicle insurance.

Can't decide to sell some positions and have a down payment for a house (which will DECREASE my monthly expense for housing, friggin rent) or to just keep adding dividend stocks and put very little down on my house.

As long as were on dividend stock, I've got to give a shout out to boy. http://www.dividendmantra.com
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #93
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
I am officially debt free in about 2 1/2 months. I have a company cellphone so literally my only non-housing monthly expense is vehicle insurance.

Can't decide to sell some positions and have a down payment for a house (which will DECREASE my monthly expense for housing, friggin rent) or to just keep adding dividend stocks and put very little down on my house.

As long as were on dividend stock, I've got to give a shout out to boy. http://www.dividendmantra.com
Yep...I'm an avid reader of DM. Jason is awesome and has a new eBook out too.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #94
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:

With rates still so low, I'd vote for a smaller down payment vs selling stock.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #95
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Don't have any gold. I stick exclusively to dividend stocks, although I may be buying some silver eagles soon.
Why eagles vs Bullion? I am looking hard at silver now. Not sure how to purchase. If I can't get any local land I will be buying the silver.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #96
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A question for you dividend investors out there:

If a guy had, say $5,000 burning a hole in his portfolio, what would be your picks for someone new to dividend investment, and why?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #97
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
Only if you are Chinese. I wonder what China is gonna do with all their gold reserves. I guess they can sit on their gold and polish it or something? I swear, I don't understand the fascination with gold. Sure, if you want to have some as an investment just to mitigate any market fluxuations, great. I mean, if you can afford it and you have some as a reserve investment, fine. I can't argue with its ever increasing value. But, what the hell are you going to do with it if the market crashes and the dollar tanks? Seriously, what good is it? You can't sell it. You can't use it for anything. Maybe you can barter with it but who's gonna want it? I'd rather have water than gold. I'd rather have land than gold. I'd rather have livestock than gold if the schit hits the fan.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #98
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Only if you are Chinese. I wonder what China is gonna do with all their gold reserves. I guess they can sit on their gold and polish it or something? I swear, I don't understand the fascination with gold. Sure, if you want to have some as an investment just to mitigate any market fluxuations, great. I mean, if you can afford it and you have some as a reserve investment, fine. I can't argue with its ever increasing value. But, what the hell are you going to do with it if the market crashes and the dollar tanks? Seriously, what good is it? You can't sell it. You can't use it for anything. Maybe you can barter with it but who's gonna want it? I'd rather have water than gold. I'd rather have land than gold. I'd rather have livestock than gold if the schit hits the fan.
Once had a financial advisor tell me if I want to invest in metals, to invest in lead & brass
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #99
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Why eagles vs Bullion? I am looking hard at silver now. Not sure how to purchase. If I can't get any local land I will be buying the silver.
There's a theory (one that I personally believe is 100% true) that IF the dollar tanks and people need some kind of currency, than the silver dollar will be the defacto currency in the USA. That is, it will actually be used as a way to buy and sell stuff. There's lots of silver dollars out there floating around, but the latest trend on people buying this stuff up has increased its value significantly.

And all silver dollars are not the same (percentage of silver in the coins). My family has a decent collection of some older silver dollars that we keep in a safe, just sitting there in a money bag. Hopefully, we will never have to use them for anything.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #100
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Congrats! If you buy a house you will be right back in debt, yes? After this last huge real estate bubble crash in 2008 I hesitate to say "go for it, buy a house" because not all real estate is the same. It very much depends on where you live and how much this house is really worth.

Right now, the trend is going back up into the stupid zone where real estate values are escalating with no real reason other than it's a market driven thing. If you live in San Diego or Manhattan or Aspen or some other place where the real estate is expensive, and it's going to remain expensive due to location, then if you buy something there it's going to cost alot but it will most likely maintain it's value over the long haul. If you are in the midwest or somewhere where real estate prices don't necessarily reflect the actual value of what you are buying then I'd hesitate to buy something (unless you can get it dirt cheap).

The USA is still overbuilt, I cannot understand why real estate is increasing in value like it was before the last crash. Colorado is the perfect example, the value of the real estate there is going up and up and up with no real reason to justify it. "everyone wants to live in CO" is all fine and good up to a point but you have to look long term. If you are willing to sit on a place for 20 years it might be a good investment. If not, you are wasting your time and driving up the pricing.