The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #201
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Had to take him off iggy to do, but worth it.
Oops...
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #202
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Leave it to this inbred ****stick moron to defend killing black people like they had it coming. They shouldn't have been black!

You're a ****ing retard.
Quote:
The mane has gone full retard.
Quote:
Then you're a retard.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 09-20-2018 at 09:52 AM..
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #203
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Old 09-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #204
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

TeamSwag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly

teko doesnt like the word libtard.

it has nothing to do with retard.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #205
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

I use Republitard all the time. Of course if this is wrong and can change it to Republintelectually deficient to the moderate degree.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #206
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Let's Go Broncos!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Yes, for families that have members with Down Syndrome or autism or other learning challenges, the term "retard" can be offensive. And many individuals online can be -- insensitive.

From the moderator team's perspective, however, the question becomes "How heavily-moderated does the community want this forum to be?" Because if we were to start sanctioning every instance of posters using some form of "retard", we'd be dealing with the issue all day, every day. We'd probably need more moderators in order to deal with the increased number of reported posts.

For the most part, context of the word usage hasn't been to genuinely suggest that the poster being addressed has a learning disability; it's been to mock a take that the name-caller finds ridiculous. On a sports message board, that type of insult does happen fairly often.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 AM   #207
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Yes, for families that have members with Down Syndrome or autism or other learning challenges, the term "retard" can be offensive. And many individuals online can be -- insensitive.

From the moderator team's perspective, however, the question becomes "How heavily-moderated does the community want this forum to be?" Because if we were to start sanctioning every instance of posters using some form of "retard", we'd be dealing with the issue all day, every day. We'd probably need more moderators in order to deal with the increased number of reported posts.

For the most part, context of the word usage hasn't been to genuinely suggest that the poster being addressed has a learning disability; it's been to mock a take that the name-caller finds ridiculous. On a sports message board, that type of insult does happen fairly often.
if you need more moderators

I would be very good.....
Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 AM   #208
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

ok, that was a lie. I would be horrible, like BronxIdiot
Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 AM   #209
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:

You have to wonder if anyone actually reads this warning before entering this forum:

Quote:
Goooo "team that reflects my political ideology!" WARNING! This is a loosely moderated forum. Frankly, moderating political discussions is about as fun as sitting in on Raider court proceedings.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #210
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
He loves calling people stupid, but retard is off-limits. Why? Because the PC thought police say so.
Because “retard” is an honest to god offensive term. Which is why the state of Colorado has removed it from all state documents.

As for my use of it, I’ve said a lot of things in the past I’m not proud of. Not sure the picture of me two years ago is the same as the picture of me now, but whatever. You got me, I guess.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 AM   #211
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:

Thanks for the honest and reflective response.

As for moderating the word... couldn’t you just add a filter for it? Like any of the four letter words that are filtered?

You’re right, the term is used a LOT... and that’s the problem.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #212
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
teko doesnt like the word libtard.

it has nothing to do with retard.
Aw thanks for telling me more about me, Shameless!

Actually it has everything to do with “retard.” I’m thankful that no one in my family suffers from Down Syndrome or anything else, but in just two years I’ve managed to remove the word from my lexicon. It isn’t hard!

You should try not being an a-hole sometime. You might like it.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:46 AM   #213
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
look at these posts from ACTUAL, LITERAL YEARS AGO!
So this is how you spend your time? Digging through old posts to play gotcha?

No wonder nobody likes you.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #214
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Let's Go Broncos!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Thanks for the honest and reflective response.

As for moderating the word... couldn’t you just add a filter for it? Like any of the four letter words that are filtered?

You’re right, the term is used a LOT... and that’s the problem.
Replacing that word with "dumbass" would be awesome --what would also be awesome is if people would just post dumbass or wanker or jackass -- idiot, imbecile or cretin instead. Although we'd probably receive complaints about cretin.... mistakenly claiming racial bias against residents of Crete.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #215
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Replacing that word with "dumbass" would be awesome --what would also be awesome is if people would just post dumbass or wanker or jackass -- idiot, imbecile or cretin instead. Although we'd probably receive complaints about cretin.... mistakenly claiming racial bias against residents of Crete.
What a simple fix that would be.

I didn’t ask to accuse the mod team of falling down on the job, and I didn’t ask I think it should be a bannable offense; you’re not, and I don’t.

But the post is about things people cannot control... and having a mental disability is one of those things.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #216
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Hmm. Must have been before my time as a moderator.

I guess my question is, why do you suppose you don't get bans, if we have such a grudge against people on the right?
Because I don't usually get as personal as some others.

My main contention though is that while they often deserve the bans they get, clowns like Steps and Labron get away with much more just based on, I guess, expectation, or maybe ideological interpretation.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #217
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Let's Go Broncos!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
What a simple fix that would be.

I didn’t ask to accuse the mod team of falling down on the job, and I didn’t ask I think it should be a bannable offense; you’re not, and I don’t.

But the post is about things people cannot control... and having a mental disability is one of those things.
Agreed... ideally it could be recognized that civility (even while disagreeing politically) is possible.

Back in the day, watermock learned to habitually call others "dimwit" in order to avoid drawing the attention of the mods. Dimwit is a nice, safe word.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #218
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Because “retard” is an honest to god offensive term. Which is why the state of Colorado has removed it from all state documents.
Are you trying to argue some sort of objective truth to the word’s offensiveness? Because I don’t find it offensive in the slightest. As far as it being removed from government documents goes, what does that prove? Lots of words are deemed unsuitable for government documents. Should they all be banned from the OM? Also can you please explain why retard is worse than imbecile or moron? Or do you want those words banned as well?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #219
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Let's Go Broncos!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Because I don't usually get as personal as some others.

My main contention though is that while they often deserve the bans they get, clowns like Steps and Labron get away with much more just based on, I guess, expectation, or maybe ideological interpretation.
Some posters skate close to the edges of breaking the rules...but stop short of crossing the lines. Even though a sanction might not be levied in such instances, the moderator team does monitor potentially-problematic interactions. Lately, we're here in WRP a lot more often than we really want to be. Because the political landscape is unsettled and vitriolic, threads can go out of control in a hurry.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #220
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Are you trying to argue some sort of objective truth to the word’s offensiveness? Because I don’t find it offensive in the slightest. As far as it being removed from government documents goes, what does that prove? Lots of words are deemed unsuitable for government documents. Should they all be banned from the OM? Also can you please explain why retard is worse than imbecile or moron? Or do you want those words banned as well?
The most recent example of the “objective truth” to the word’s offensiveness is that the state of Colorado removed it from all documents BECAUSE IT WAS AGREED UPON that the word is offensive. I wasn’t saying that because the state thinks it is, we should think it is; merely that even the state finds this word offensive, and went out of its way to remove it from all state law documents. Which is a fair bit more work than adding a filter to a website. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do something about it or don’t. I was just asking a question.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #221
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So this is how you spend your time? Digging through old posts to play gotcha?
Hot tip.

If you want to advocate for the banishment of some behavior, think back through your own. If you don't like tasteless namecalling, don't be the Crown Prince of tasteless namecalling.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #222
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Hot tip.

If you want to advocate for the banishment of some behavior, think back through your own. If you don't like tasteless namecalling, don't be the Crown Prince of tasteless namecalling.
So sensitive. What a surprise.

Hot tip: I can advocate for stopping the use of an offensive term and sill call you an intellectually dishonest ****wad.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #223
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So sensitive. What a surprise.
Quote:
One thing that really sticks in my craw with this place is how many people use the insult “retard” or some variation of it. That’s a pretty ****ty one, so I’m wondering if there are any plans to block out “retard,” “retarded,” and any of the many variations of “tard “ used here daily.

Unfortunately couldn't find a "Delicate Little Hypocritical Flower" gif. Close as I could get.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #224
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
The most recent example of the “objective truth” to the word’s offensiveness is that the state of Colorado removed it from all documents BECAUSE IT WAS AGREED UPON that the word is offensive. I wasn’t saying that because the state thinks it is, we should think it is; merely that even the state finds this word offensive, and went out of its way to remove it from all state law documents. Which is a fair bit more work than adding a filter to a website. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do something about it or don’t. I was just asking a question.
I’m still waiting for argument for why it’s so offensive while idiot, imbecile, and moron are not. As far as I can tell it’s a purely arbitrary differentiation that you just expect others to accept.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #225
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:

Unfortunately couldn't find a "Delicate Little Hypocritical Flower" gif. Close as I could get.
Yet you're the only one who ignored someone. Hmm.

Like cutthemdown, you're charmin-soft.