The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #1526
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Reading the Old Man's War series from Scalzi. Brilliant
Love Scalzi, I have read all his novels and enjoyed all of them.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #1527
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,359
Default

I'm in the process of moving, and cleaning out my garage found The Boys from Brazil. Completely forgot I had it. And War and Remembrance. Good books.


Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #1528
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18,608
Default

Here's one I want to read -- by a German journalist, Udo Ulfkotte. It's a death bed confessional account of how the CIA paid him for years to lie and do what he was told -- that is, to write fake news.

The author is now deceased from cancer. His book became a best seller in Germany -- even though the press there never reviewed or mentioned it!

Now, the English translation has been suppressed here...Amazon tells us the book is unavailable -- except at an exorbitant piece...$900/copy.

This is America the home of free speech?

Journalists for Hire: How the CIA Buys the News

by Dr. Udo Ulfkotte Ph.D Ph.D. (June 01,2016)

https://www.amazon.com/Journalists-H...+Buys+the+News
Attached Images
 
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #1529
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
Now, the English translation has been suppressed here...Amazon tells us the book is unavailable -- except at an exorbitant piece...$900/copy.

This is America the home of free speech?
You do know that it just means that there are other tinfoil wearers like you that value the book at 900 dollars right? I've sold out of print books for up to 100 dollars on there before
It doesn't mean that Amazon is suppressing your freedoms
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #1530
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
You do know that it just means that there are other tinfoil wearers like you that value the book at 900 dollars right? I've sold out of print books for up to 100 dollars on there before
It doesn't mean that Amazon is suppressing your freedoms
I did not mean to imply Amazon is suppressing free speech -- at least not directly. They are in cahoots with the NSA/CIA, that is very clear, but so is Google and Facebook.

The CIA has other ways and means of suppressing a book. They've been at it a long time. The CIA has been effective at intimidating publishers not to bring out a book. When that fails they buy up the whole edition -- and burn the lot.

Last edited by mhgaffney; 07-04-2018 at 11:43 PM..
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #1531
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Due west

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,831

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Just listened to all five books of Chronicles of the black gate on Youtube. I loved it.
I just read these. Very entertaining, but easy read fantasy series to read.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #1532
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 77,428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
I did not mean to imply Amazon is suppressing free speech -- at least not directly. They are in cahoots with the NSA/CIA, that is very clear, but so is Google and Facebook.

The CIA has other ways and means of suppressing a book. They've been at it a long time. The CIA has been effective at intimidating publishers not to bring out a book. When that fails they buy up the whole edition -- and burn the lot.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #1533
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
I did not mean to imply Amazon is suppressing free speech -- at least not directly. They are in cahoots with the NSA/CIA, that is very clear, but so is Google and Facebook.

The CIA has other ways and means of suppressing a book. They've been at it a long time. The CIA has been effective at intimidating publishers not to bring out a book. When that fails they buy up the whole edition -- and burn the lot.

Considering Amazon is not a government entity, what they choose to sell or not sell is not suppressing free speech. $900 for any book is a bit steep. So if you have an issue with anyone, it should be Katiesbookstore, which is probably a dummy LLC based in China who is selling it for nearly a grand.

And it never occurred to you that maybe this book is hard to come by because it reads like Alex Jones or Howard Dean's dream journals?

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #1534
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 53,759

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
I'm in the process of moving, and cleaning out my garage found The Boys from Brazil. Completely forgot I had it. And War and Remembrance. Good books.


I wouldn't have been surprised if you said you found a bunch of boys from Brazil in your garage.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #1535
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 53,759

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel
Default

I read NdT's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry.

Picked it up at the library. It was concise, took only 3 days to read and I could have knocked it out in an evening if I really wanted to.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #1536
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer
 
ShiftyEyedWaterboy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Littleton
Posts: 2,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Love Scalzi, I have read all his novels and enjoyed all of them.
I'm over halfway through Malazan right now. Might finally pick these up when I finish.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #1537
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer
 
ShiftyEyedWaterboy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Littleton
Posts: 2,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I read NdT's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry.

Picked it up at the library. It was concise, took only 3 days to read and I could have knocked it out in an evening if I really wanted to.
I'm getting a little into this in school right now. Interesting stuff. Astrophysics, that is, not that book specifically.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #1538
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 33,434

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
I did not mean to imply Amazon is suppressing free speech -- at least not directly. They are in cahoots with the NSA/CIA, that is very clear, but so is Google and Facebook.
So am I.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #1539
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Considering Amazon is not a government entity, what they choose to sell or not sell is not suppressing free speech. $900 for any book is a bit steep. So if you have an issue with anyone, it should be Katiesbookstore, which is probably a dummy LLC based in China who is selling it for nearly a grand.

And it never occurred to you that maybe this book is hard to come by because it reads like Alex Jones or Howard Dean's dream journals?

More likely the message was "the problem." Amazon has been "modifying" its lists for years now. Example: Hillary's book which despite numerous critical reviews was listed as a five star book. There is no explanation for that, other than manipulation by the site.

There are other books out there that have also been purposely suppressed. David Irving's books about WW II are some of the best historical writing I've ever seen. Yet his books are out of print and almost unavailable. Now why is that?

Last edited by mhgaffney; 07-08-2018 at 06:12 PM..
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #1540
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
More likely the message was "the problem." Amazon has been "modifying" its lists for years now. Example: Hillary's book which despite numerous critical reviews was listed as a five star book. There is no explanation for that, other than manipulation by the site.

There are other books out there that have also been purposely suppressed. David Irving's books about WW II are some of the best historical writing I've ever seen. Yet his books are out of print and almost unavailable. Now why is that?
I'm not surprised you'd find books by a holocaust denier the "best historical writing" you've ever seen. I'm sure Auschwitz really was a Disneyland. And again, amazon is showing books by David Irving for sale. They range from $10 to $1800.

And are you honestly surprised a book written by a presidential candidate detailing why she thought she lost was going to stay on the Amazon best seller list? And saying the amazon star rating system is proof of a giant conspiracy is loony toons. Even for someone who posts regularly in the WRP.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Denver Broncos