The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default How do you reboot this mess?

Alright everyone. Let's hear your GM ideas. I personally think the team needs a total flushing like post Shanny/MCD. Got to get rid of this stink.

-Flush the whole staff except Kollar and the ST guy is obobvious. Hire an offensive coach is somewhat a of prick and straight shooter that the players respect. Players do not respect VJ.

-Cut the dead weight. Trim the fat contracts on underperforming players. Wolfe, DT, Marshall, Davis, Stewart, Sam Bradford's backup.

-It is obvious but find a QB at all costs. Missed out on Cousins so play Kelly and see what he has. In the offseason see if you can move some picks and players to land a guy. I mentioned in other places Denver could probably find a 3 way trade by trading Von to a contender and tossing their own picks in and see if you can get Wilson from Seattle. Von is not worth his contract even though I love the guy. He should not be inconsistent like he is. Mack isnt.

-Denver has a lot of holes so make some trades to gather picks. Approach the draft with the new coach like last years draft by taking character guys and captains.

-FA need to sign some good players. Short term deals on guys that won't kill your cap in a year or two. Do the Pat's style and what Rams are doing now.

Let's hear the ideas
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
socalorado
Ring of Famer

socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Occam's razor suggests that instead of multiple Pro Bowlers suddenly sucking, we might simply have strategists who have no clue how to gameplan.

One group has a long track record of success.

The other has really no track record to speak of at all.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

You don't trade Von, he's the one untouchable IMO. Well, he and Harris. And some of the young guys, like this year's rookie class.

I'd start with the HC. Then go from there.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Occam's razor suggests that instead of multiple Pro Bowlers suddenly sucking, we might simply have strategists who have no clue how to gameplan.

Exactly.

Harris, Von, etc, did not all of the sudden forget how to play football. They are not being put it the best position to win.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
You don't trade Von, he's the one untouchable IMO. Well, he and Harris. And some of the young guys, like this year's rookie class.

I'd start with the HC. Then go from there.
I'd do it if it gets a legit QB. If it's just picks then I'd keep him and Harris and the rest are available in trade. I would keep this years class as you suggest. I love Von but he doesnt impact games like a QB does despite being paid like one.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I think that is a huge flaw Denver fans have and most fans of their favorite team. Fans tend to overrate their own players. Wolfe, Stewart, Marshall are not the players they once were. Same with DT.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
RonStoppable
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Alright everyone. Let's hear your GM ideas. I personally think the team needs a total flushing like post Shanny/MCD. Got to get rid of this stink.

-Flush the whole staff except Kollar and the ST guy is obobvious. Hire an offensive coach is somewhat a of prick and straight shooter that the players respect. Players do not respect VJ.

-Cut the dead weight. Trim the fat contracts on underperforming players. Wolfe, DT, Marshall, Davis, Stewart, Sam Bradford's backup.

-It is obvious but find a QB at all costs. Missed out on Cousins so play Kelly and see what he has. In the offseason see if you can move some picks and players to land a guy. I mentioned in other places Denver could probably find a 3 way trade by trading Von to a contender and tossing their own picks in and see if you can get Wilson from Seattle. Von is not worth his contract even though I love the guy. He should not be inconsistent like he is. Mack isnt.

-Denver has a lot of holes so make some trades to gather picks. Approach the draft with the new coach like last years draft by taking character guys and captains.

-FA need to sign some good players. Short term deals on guys that won't kill your cap in a year or two. Do the Pat's style and what Rams are doing now.

Let's hear the ideas
First of all calm down

I dont think its a good idea to fire all midseason, especialy if noone is free to hire....

I would start changing QB, can easy be made, can cause a spark, and imo swag was from the start better....

I would clean the staff after this season, as far as necessary, i dont know who has to go, but some changes has to be made!

I wouldnt fire all vet players, BUT i would fire "non important" vets, like no leader guys with a lot of money and no peformance....

AND we have a lot of problems, so you need to adress them correct and not mix up source and reaction!!!! (Thats maybe the hardest part...)
RonStoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:

While it is cathartic to entertain the "burn it down" notion, I think BB's approach is most logical. That being said, make sure the process doesn't have any sacred cows, from staff to players... everybody is evaluated to past, current and future production.

I'd star with: What does a team look like that is built to beat the Chiefs? I think they are the class of the Division for the next 4-5 years at least, so how do you build a team that matches up what Reid and his crew do well?

Second, what the heck do we want to do well? Pulverizing run game? Monster receivers for a big arm QB... Re-create the no fly zone? Ball Control, or Gunslinger?

I'd hire a defense minded coach, because I still think Defense win rings.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonStoppable View Post
First of all calm down

I dont think its a good idea to fire all midseason, especialy if noone is free to hire....

I would start changing QB, can easy be made, can cause a spark, and imo swag was from the start better....

I would clean the staff after this season, as far as necessary, i dont know who has to go, but some changes has to be made!

I wouldnt fire all vet players, BUT i would fire "non important" vets, like no leader guys with a lot of money and no peformance....

AND we have a lot of problems, so you need to adress them correct and not mix up source and reaction!!!! (Thats maybe the hardest part...)
I'm talking after season. They can fire VJ whenever and I dont care. It won't make a difference in this throwaway year. We are back to 2017 except even playing worse.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
RonStoppable
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Kelly

Quote:
I'm talking after season. They can fire VJ whenever and I dont care. It won't make a difference in this throwaway year. We are back to 2017 except even playing worse.
Opps my mistake

I agree with :
Quote:
While it is cathartic to entertain the "burn it down" notion, I think BB's approach is most logical. That being said, make sure the process doesn't have any sacred cows, from staff to players... everybody is evaluated to past, current and future production.

I'd star with: What does a team look like that is built to beat the Chiefs? I think they are the class of the Division for the next 4-5 years at least, so how do you build a team that matches up what Reid and his crew do well?

Second, what the heck do we want to do well? Pulverizing run game? Monster receivers for a big arm QB... Re-create the no fly zone? Ball Control, or Gunslinger?

RonStoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
I'd do it if it gets a legit QB. If it's just picks then I'd keep him and Harris and the rest are available in trade. I would keep this years class as you suggest. I love Von but he doesnt impact games like a QB does despite being paid like one.
I don't know, he was the most important player of the playoff run and Superbowl win. Newton was the #1 pick, and is a highly regarded QB, and Miller was by far the best player on that field, that day.

I don't move Von, for anything, or anyone.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #13
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
I don't know, he was the most important player of the playoff run and Superbowl win. Newton was the #1 pick, and is a highly regarded QB, and Miller was by far the best player on that field, that day.

I don't move Von, for anything, or anyone.
He sure was but we also had Ware. Miller is not the same player as 3 years ago nor without Ware on the other side. Aare was on par with Von during that run but it is never mentioned. 2015 was a long time ago in football years. I'm only saying trade Von if it gets you a Luck or Wilson type player.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

3-13 please

SB team had a couple ingredients we no longer have.

Wade
Malik
3 yrs younger Von Harris
Ware
Younger Wolfe
Talib
PFM even at his shape is better then Keenum

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 10-09-2018 at 03:41 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #15
Ratboy
I want pure energy

ಠ_ಠ

I donít really understand your hate for DT and Wolfe. They are not the problem and should not be removed. A contract restructure? Yeah, Iíd agree.

As a GM I would immediately fire Vance Joseph and hire Sean Kugler as the Interim Head Coach. Heís the only coach (That I am aware of) that has been a HC. I would tell the interm HC that Chad Kelly is starting.

I am putting together a long list of potential Head Coach Candidates. Iím not saying these guys will come to Denver, but i would put out a feeler to see if any interest is there.

From the NFL:
Jim Schwartz
Matt LaFleur
John DeFilippo
John Harbaugh
Todd Haley
Dave Toub

College:
Chris Petersen
Lincoln Riley
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

It's so far out to go any further than finding a HC. The draft will change a lot. I think a QB would be ideal, but who knows if one is even worth it right now.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I donít really understand your hate for DT and Wolfe. They are not the problem and should not be removed. A contract restructure? Yeah, Iíd agree.

As a GM I would immediately fire Vance Joseph and hire Sean Kugler as the Interim Head Coach. Heís the only coach (That I am aware of) that has been a HC. I would tell the interm HC that Chad Kelly is starting.

I am putting together a long list of potential Head Coach Candidates. Iím not saying these guys will come to Denver, but i would put out a feeler to see if any interest is there.

From the NFL:
Jim Schwartz
Matt LaFleur
John DeFilippo
John Harbaugh
Todd Haley
Dave Toub

College:
Chris Petersen
Lincoln Riley
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

It's so far out to go any further than finding a HC. The draft will change a lot. I think a QB would be ideal, but who knows if one is even worth it right now.
I dont hate Wolfe or DT. What I do see is players who are shells of themselves. DTs replacement is there. I see a better player. I think he will be cut because the coaches and front office see what we all see. Wolfe just plays timid now and J cant blame him for all his injuries. Love the guy but he is just another guy now.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #17
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post

Chiefs have a 3 year window before they have the same QB pay headache everyone else does. We can't build based on that.

What fundamentally ****s us is Elway's made this place such an undesirable destination for quality staff through his demanding nature combined with counterproductive tightass-ery.

Our number one issue is our staff. And we're not going to have many options there other than young guys with big ideas coming up.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #18
Ratboy
I want pure energy

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Von Miller is not being paid like a QB any more. His average is $19M. QBs are starting to make closer to $30M. Jimmy Garoppolo is making $27.5M and he hasn't done **** in the league.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #19
Ratboy
I want pure energy

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
I dont hate Wolfe or DT. What I do see is players who are shells of themselves. DTs replacement is there. I see a better player. I think he will be cut because the coaches and front office see what we all see. Wolfe just plays timid now and J cant blame him for all his injuries. Love the guy but he is just another guy now.
You may be correct, I think it's more to do with coaches than anything. I've been in situations with toxic leadership. Your work production diminishes and it shows. These guys are no different, you hear it in their press conferences.

Last edited by Ratboy; 10-09-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

3-13 please

I would flat out start over if I was GM. We need QB LT DT MLB S CB1 and CB2. I'd prefer to keep Von and Harris but, if I'm starting over I'm moving them. They would be past their prime by the time we are legit again. Having Harris and Von is cool love them but, not sniffing SB they aren't untouchable. I would sit down with Von and Harris and tell them my plan and their thoughts about it.

Find a good HC DC to move forward with.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 10-09-2018 at 03:52 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I would flat out start over if I was GM. We need QB LT DT MLB S CB1 and CB2. I'd prefer to keep Von and Harris but, if I'm starting over I'm moving them. They would be past their prime by the time we are legit again. Having Harris and Von is cool love them but, not sniffing SB they aren't untouchable. I would sit down with Von and Harris and tell them my plan and their thoughts about it.

In the NFL there's tons of examples of teams sucking ass one year then winning a division the next.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #22
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post

From the NFL:
Jim Schwartz
Matt LaFleur
John DeFilippo
John Harbaugh
Todd Haley
Dave Toub

College:
Chris Petersen
Lincoln Riley
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

DT's cap hit next year is $17,533,333. Hes not staying with all of these new, really talented, CHEAP WR's. It doesn't make sense financially.
Wolfe isn't the player he once was. Hes simply too beat up and is an average player now, who has a long litany of injury issues. He needs to retire and save his neck.
Also dump Marshall.
And dump Roby.
And dump Veldheer.
And dump Keesum.

I like your list. Schwartz isn't a guy i would want though. No discipline whatsoever. His players aren't well coached.
I say hire LaFleur or Difilippo. One of the new, young breed of O coordinators that have turned the NFL on its head. With these new rules, a HC who can be successful on the offensive side seems to be the way to go. And a QB.
Start Kelly ASAP. If he pans out great, DEN has a franchise QB. If not, and i know its early, but i say go get COL QB Steven Montez. Dude is playing the best football in the nation right now and has really refined his mechanics and has a cannon. 6'-5" 235 with wheels. Find a way to move up and get that kid.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
rugbythug
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

The OM has now become a HUB of Day Traders. Sitting around a computer pontificating on how if they were a portfolio manager at Goldman Sachs they would be beating the market by 20%.

The reality is the team has enough talent to be competitive. It's certainly not a perennial powerhouse talent, but its not bottom of the barrel either. But the team appears to be pressing. Everyone wants to win so they think if I just do this... Jump out of their gap and watch a guy run for 75, Jump a short route and watch a guy run for 75. The coaches are not teaching this but they don't inspire enough confidence to prevent it either. They have to go-At the end of our mediocre season.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #24
TerrElway
Busy Free Basing Viagra

The interweb is for nerds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Justin Simmons

Quote:

What would Belichick get out of this group? What would Andy Reid get out of this group? What would the Rams staff get out of this group? Hell, what would Dave Logan get out of this group!
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post

Fortunately its a pretty good draft class for CB again.
DEN needs to target PHIL CB Ronald Darby in FA. Along with his teammate ILB Jordan Hicks. Both will be available in FA. Then draft a Greedy Williams, Amani Oruwariye or Trayvon Mullen. All are physical freaks. Suddenly the CB's arent so F'ed.
And get a TE. PIT Jesse James is a UFA too.