The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #676
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
so admitting that I have no idea about this Soccer team of ours..except that Bekerman is a 10 plus lol ..do we got a chance..
We need at least a tie against #4 Portugal and #2 Germany. Then we would probably face #11 Belgium or #19 Russia in the first round of the knockout stage. All of them are better than Ghana. We are underdogs from here on out.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #677
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
well that blows..then I gotta say I'm a little confused..we pretty much blow right? so why was it all game they were building the USA coach..like hes gonna win his 3 rd title with us. his tattoos and all...I would of agreed until you soccer dudes who know whats going on know different..just better make sure I watch to see Bekerman again.. Peyton my man Mannings new deputy..
Because we like him.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #678
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
well that blows..then I gotta say I'm a little confused..we pretty much blow right? so why was it all game they were building the USA coach..like hes gonna win his 3 rd title with us. his tattoos and all...I would of agreed until you soccer dudes who know whats going on know different..just better make sure I watch to see Bekerman again.. Peyton my man Mannings new deputy..
The U.S. right now and has been the case for years, just don't have the goal strikers that some of these European and Latin teams have. Plus, it seems speed wise they are also lacking against some of these teams. That is why they just aren't contenders to win the World Cup. American soccer, the men's team, has vastly improved the last 30 years, but it just goes to show how far we have been behind some of these countries. Plus, it does need to be mentioned in America, those good enough to be professional athletes, tend to pick other sports where there is more money, while the rest of the world is limited on the sports available. The women's soccer team in America is quite good and has been for awhile.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #679
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Because, Jurgen has come in and helped set the stage for the future of US soccer.
He has raised the level of expectations and brought about a serious reform in how the US handles it's soccer program.

We will be a much better team in the future because of him.
Before it was just about reaching the knockout round or beating Mexico.
Now people actually have hope to compete for and win a world cup.
IndelibleScribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #680
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
We need at least a tie against #4 Portugal and #2 Germany. Then we would probably face #11 Belgium or #19 Russia in the first round of the knockout stage. All of them are better than Ghana. We are underdogs from here on out.
I have no clue how Portugal is that high (then again, we're 13th, so FIFA rankings are dumb). I dont think they are as good as Belgium, really just Ronaldo and 10 dudes. I think we can, at least, draw them. Not having Altidore will hurt. Too bad Landon isnt around :/
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #681
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I have no clue how Portugal is that high (then again, we're 13th, so FIFA rankings are dumb). I dont think they are as good as Belgium, really just Ronaldo and 10 dudes. I think we can, at least, draw them. Not having Altidore will hurt. Too bad Landon isnt around :/
Yeah... Landon Donovan isn't going to be the reason we win or lose a game. He's had a great career but he doesn't fit with this team.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #682
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Yeah... Landon Donovan isn't going to be the reason we win or lose a game. He's had a great career but he doesn't fit with this team.
Sure, but knowing what we know now, it would be nice to have him around. I like Johannsson...love Wondos enthusiasm, but it was my first thought when Jozy went down.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #683
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

USA! USA! USA! USA! Just finished watching the recording on my DVR.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #684
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Sure, but knowing what we know now, it would be nice to have him around. I like Johannsson...love Wondos enthusiasm, but it was my first thought when Jozy went down.
I am more concerned with having guys on the team that fully buy into the vision and having young guys who can develop like Green, Johannsson, Diskerud, Wondolowski, Zusi and Yedlin.
Donovan doesn't help us much now or in the future as he will undoubtedly get burned out and need a break again.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #685
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I am more concerned with having guys on the team that fully buy into the vision and having young guys who can develop like Green, Johannsson, Diskerud, Wondolowski, Zusi and Yedlin.
Donovan doesn't help us much now or in the future as he will undoubtedly get burned out and need a break again.
Wondo is 31 years old. He wont be around in 4 years.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #686
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Im all for the youth movement, but id prefer donovan to Wondo/Brad Davis. I wonder if Julian Green will get some burn. If we somehow beat portugal, maybe he'll play against germany.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #687
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Wondo is 31 years old. He wont be around in 4 years.
That was supposed to be Chandler. I got to typing while watching TV and erased what I was trying to say about Wondo.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #688
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
well that's crap..it should be win and move on..
There are some 160+ teams in FIFA.

The top 32 make World Cup competition.

16 (two from each of 8 groups) move on to the actual tournament.

That's the way it's been since 1930. Think of this as the "regular season" of the cup.

Quote:
so admitting that I have no idea about this Soccer team of ours..except that Bekerman is a 10 plus lol ..do we got a chance..
I think if we beat Portugal, we're in since they lost to Germany. That's no small task though. We're better conditioned, but Portugal is much, much more talented with arguably the best player in the world in Christiano Renaldo.

We're probably in if we beat Germany. I don't think we have a chance against them because Germany is, IMO the best team in the world righty now.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #689
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
That was supposed to be Chandler. I got to typing while watching TV and erased what I was trying to say about Wondo.
I agree with all that. Im all for the young guys getting time. I just would prefer donovan to someone like Brad Davis. But Klinsy has his reasons, its not the diff between us winning and losing the WC.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #690
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulseeker View Post

That's the way it's been since 1930. Think of this as the "regular season" of the cup.

I think if we beat Portugal, we're in since they lost to Germany. That's no small task though. We're better conditioned, but Portugal is much, much more talented with arguably the best player in the world in Christiano Renaldo.

We're probably in if we beat Germany. I don't think we have a chance against them because Germany is, IMO the best team in the world righty now.
If we beat Portugal, we're in. Arent we?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #691
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
If we beat Portugal, we're in. Arent we?
yes, two wins and we get one of the bids.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #692
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
I agree with all that. Im all for the young guys getting time. I just would prefer donovan to someone like Brad Davis. But Klinsy has his reasons, its not the diff between us winning and losing the WC.
He did it because he wanted his players to be fully dedicated to soccer and to play in Europe to get experience again the best in the world.
Donovan does not play well when in Europe for the most part. His game doesn't fit.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #693
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marquez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulseeker View Post

209 teams. And they should do a 208 team tournament. That would be ****ing awesome.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #694
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

I'm totally unqualified to comment on soccer... I only pay attention to the World Cup, and when I do I usually watch the Mexican coverage because I love hearing the announcers go nuts after a goal, but that means I don't understand any of the analysis of people who know the sport way better than I do... that being said in my totally ignorant opinion Ghana didn't look good and the U.S. looked lucky to beat them... Ghana had more chances and seemed to flub them more than they were defended. I'm sure part of that is because the U.S. went up in the first thirty seconds so Ghana had to be more aggressive... but nevertheless I'd think the U.S. would have to play a hell of a lot better to have a chance against Portugal, let alone Germany. Not that I have any clue what I'm talking about....
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #695
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marquez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
I'm totally unqualified to comment on soccer... I only pay attention to the World Cup, and when I do I usually watch the Mexican coverage because I love hearing the announcers go nuts after a goal, but that means I don't understand any of the analysis of people who know the sport way better than I do... that being said in my totally ignorant opinion Ghana didn't look good and the U.S. looked lucky to beat them... Ghana had more chances and seemed to flub them more than they were defended. I'm sure part of that is because the U.S. went up in the first thirty seconds so Ghana had to be more aggressive... but nevertheless I'd think the U.S. would have to play a hell of a lot better to have a chance against Portugal, let alone Germany. Not that I have any clue what I'm talking about....
No you don't. We're gonna shock the world.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NrjbeE90vVY
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #696
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

wow, just finished watching the game on my dvr. my voice is almost gone.

the first goal was all on Dempsey. brilliant first touch and a clinic finish. as soon as Altidore went down, the game for the US changed. Dempsey didn't look the same after taking the boot to the face. Absolutely horrible passing by the US. Beasley was getting beat more than Michael Jackson singing beat in beat it. the goal by ayew was beautiful struck it with his left on the outside and completely fooled Howard. Caught him leaning toward his left.

WTF is going on with the US and hamstrings? The US team look like they hired the Broncos trainer. It seems like everyone was grabbing their hamstring at one point.

Here is my grading

Howard - 6.5
kept his cool and his team as well. was a good leader. could have saved that goal by Ayew

Beasley - 6
was really embarrassing at the beginning. I was for sure that Ghana was going to score at one point. However, he really held his own at the end of the game making critical defensive stops

Cameron - 7
He helped and mentor Brooks and was the key in the US defense

Beesler - 5
Did good maintaining a line catching Ghana offsides several times on traps. too bad he got injured

Johnson - 6.5
made several very good runs and kept Ghana somewhat at bay.

Jones - 6.5
very good stops, made some runs but looked lost going forward. He should be not be attacking.

Bedoya - 5.5
I was expecting more, i really didn't notice him all match

Bradley - 6.5
I know many will question this, but he really held the US midfield together at the end of the game with some very nice touches. very shaky at first with some bad passes and very uncharacteristic of him. Maybe the pressure by Ghana caused it. But, he should know what pressure is since he played in the serie A

Dempsey - 6
first goal was brilliant. can't help that he disappeared after taking the kick to the face.

Altidore - 4
it really sucks he went down

reserves:
Johansson - 4.5
didn't really offer anything other than a few nice touches

Brooks - 7
Man of the match. Came in and had a horrible first touch. After that, his name was not mentioned again until that header. Beautiful

Zusi - Came in too late to do anything.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #697
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
209 teams. And they should do a 208 team tournament. That would be ****ing awesome.
My dream is a single elimination tournament in which every game is a golden goal.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #698
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Zusi was the one that put the cross in from the corner, I don't know you don't think he did anything
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #699
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Zusi was the one that put the cross in from the corner, I don't know you don't think he did anything
It was a substitute to a substitute... gotta give Klinsmann credit for that.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #700
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post

many many teams play defense as soon as they score the first goal. but this is not the US team. Jurgen doesn't believe in 1-0 leads. I think more than anything was that Altidore went down and the inability of Johansson to hold the ball and let the Johnson, Bradley and Dempsey to go forward.

The Portugal game just go alot easier. Pepe got a red card and wont be playing the next match. Not that I am urging injuries, but Fabio Contraoe going down is really bad luck for Portugal. It will take Ronaldo brilliance to beat the US, of which he is easily capable of.

German?? we will be lucky if they just beat the crap out of Ghana and shut down all their starters when we play them. If not, we got a good chance of beating Germany as the Germans beating us in Basketball.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote