The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #76
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Netflix even with the delay on new movies is a hell of a lot closer a competitor than the cinema is.

And Redbox gets all new releases the same day they're released in stores, so I'm not sure what lag you are talking about. Easy way to get the newer stock is to simply go online and reserve it in the morning, pick it up at night. I've got 3 or 4 machines within 5 miles of my house and I've never had a problem getting something first night or weekend of release. Having so many near me makes it easier to return the next day as well, so I'm luckier than some obviously.

For me, the whole discussion was on ways to save money and advantages of cutting the cord. I just don't get the advantage of Vudu there because all I'd have to do is rent a handful of things each month and I end up paying almost what I'd pay for directv anyway.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #77
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Netflix even with the delay on new movies is a hell of a lot closer a competitor than the cinema is.
Look up the top 10 or so top Box Office movies from 2014. I doubt a single one of them is on Netflix. Virtually all will be on Amazon and Vudu VOD.

Quote:
And Redbox gets all new releases the same day they're released in stores, so I'm not sure what lag you are talking about.
Redbox has agreements with some studios to delay their movies 4 weeks, at which point they get a sweetheart deal on the inventory. For those 4 weeks, you can still buy them in stores, or (usually) rent them on Amazon or Vudu.

As a real-life example, my kids were hoping to watch the new Night at the Museum movie this weekend. I can rent it today on Amazon or Vudu for $6, and watch it whenever I get around to it.

Or I can wait until April 7th, when Redbox finally releases it, and then try to figure out which kiosk in my area might have it in stock. At which point I'll probably pick it up and take 2 or 3 days to get it back, spending the same amount of money.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #78
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Now with Shameless, not seeing Sasha Alexander's boobies again is a sad point.
Who was she on Shameless? I just googled her and she doesn't look familiar!
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #79
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Look up the top 10 or so top Box Office movies from 2014. I doubt a single one of them is on Netflix. Virtually all will be on Amazon and Vudu VOD..
Huh? All of the top 10 of 2014 minus Big Hero 6, American Sniper and Hobbit appear to be available on Netflix (Guardians of the Galaxy, Cpt America, Lego Movie, Transformers, Maleficent, X Men, Hunger Games). And you can't get Sniper on vudu at least.

Quote:
Redbox has agreements with some studios to delay their movies 4 weeks, at which point they get a sweetheart deal on the inventory. For those 4 weeks, you can still buy them in stores, or (usually) rent them on Amazon or Vudu..
Interesting. I've literally never run into that.

Quote:
At which point I'll probably pick it up and take 2 or 3 days to get it back, spending the same amount of money.
That's not redbox's fault. For me, I can get 3 movies to vudu's 1.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #80
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Huh? All of the top 10 of 2014 minus Big Hero 6, American Sniper and Hobbit appear to be available on Netflix (Guardians of the Galaxy, Cpt America, Lego Movie, Transformers, Maleficent, X Men, Hunger Games). And you can't get Sniper on vudu at least.
Ohhh, you must be talking about their DVD by mail service. I'm a streaming only customer. I almost forget they still even do the DVD rental thing.

Sorry for the confusion. What's the going rate on their blu-ray rental service?

Quote:
Interesting. I've literally never run into that.

That's not redbox's fault. For me, I can get 3 movies to vudu's 1.
Well it is kinda Redbox' fault. They get heavy discounts on the media if they wait.

I don't blame them. I use Redbox occasionally, when I'm just looking for 'something' to watch. More often than not though we're looking for something specific. Either something we missed in the theater that we really wanted to see, or something that I thought of recently.

Another example... I just watched one of my old favorites, Groundhog Day with my older two kids. Something jogged my memory about that movie and I thought it would be fun for them to watch.

But that's another case where Redbox just doesn't work. There's only so much they can fit in those little machines. If only a few people might rent it, they can't stock it.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #81
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Well it is kinda Redbox' fault. They get heavy discounts on the media if they wait.
I quoted the part about you "taking 2-3 days to return a movie" as not being redbox's fault.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #82
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I quoted the part about you "taking 2-3 days to return a movie" as not being redbox's fault.
Yes and no. It's part of their profit model. I'd bet that their average rental period is probably 2+ days.

So for those who won't, or can't, sweat running to a redbox kiosk the very next day, or end up having to wait another night to watch the movie... it's not that great of a deal. Especially given its other limitations.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #83
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Isn't it great that there are all these options now?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #84
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Who was she on Shameless? I just googled her and she doesn't look familiar!
She was in the last episode (10 I think) and is a professor at the university where Lip is going. He "met" her in her office once, then went to her home and she handed him a book with some art, before going to the bedroom and her husband coming in, and asking Lip what kind of omelet he would like...

She is also the Dr in Risolli and Isles (sp?) on TNT (I think it's on TNT).
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #85
hades

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

One other thing I REALLY like since dropping DirecTv. Before, I would turn on the DirecTv receiver, then the TV and it would take a while (I am impatient tho) before a picture and sound worked. It got 1000000 times worse when I used the RVU built into the new Samsung TV (no more DirecTv box required). With the antenna connection, as soon as the TV is powered on, BAM, instant picture and sound. And no delay in changing channels either!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #86
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
You can't compare Vudu to the actual first run movie theaters. Vudu doesn't have movies that are in the theaters right now. You have to compare it to its actual peers: things like Netflix or Redbox.
It's my entertainment money and time, I can compare it to whatever I want.

So I have to wait a couple months to see a movie. Big deal, it's not that important to me to see it OMGNOW.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #87
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
It's my entertainment money and time, I can compare it to whatever I want.

So I have to wait a couple months to see a movie. Big deal, it's not that important to me to see it OMGNOW.
No, no, no.

I'm saying you can't compare it because they are two different time frames entirely and two different mediums. It's essentially like comparing going out to a 5 star restaurant vs staying at home and making mac and cheese or going to a concert vs watching on tv.

Not comparable.

Now if you're talking staying at home and watching a movie with the family, you can compare Netflix, amazon, redbox and vudu.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #88
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
No, no, no.

I'm saying you can't compare it because they are two different time frames entirely and two different mediums. It's essentially like comparing going out to a 5 star restaurant vs staying at home and making mac and cheese or going to a concert vs watching on tv.

Not comparable.

Now if you're talking staying at home and watching a movie with the family, you can compare Netflix, amazon, redbox and vudu.
And I'm saying for the 2-3 newer realse movies we watch in a month, I prefer the home medium, as well as the significant cost savings of watching at home vs going to the movies/having cable.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #89
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
And I'm saying for the 2-3 newer realse movies we watch in a month, I prefer the home medium, as well as the significant cost savings of watching at home vs going to the movies/having cable.
That's fine. It's just a different debate entirely.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #90
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
That's fine. It's just a different debate entirely.
For you, maybe.

For me, it's part of the "options instead of cable" debate.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #91
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Bottom line, if you are paying more than $100 monthly for internet and media services (TV, movies,etc.) in this day in age with the options available, you are getting bent over.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #92
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
For you, maybe.

For me, it's part of the "options instead of cable" debate.
It is the equivalent of cross shopping a pickup truck and mountain bike, but ok.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #93
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
It is the equivalent of cross shopping a pickup truck and mountain bike, but ok.
It's the equivalent of trying to save money by not buying a giant diesel that you don't really need, and deciding a small car, the bus, and a mountain bike satisfy all your needs at a fraction of the price.

I'm not sure why it is so important to you I don't use Vudu as a piece of my entertainment package decision that keeps me from having to pay the high prices for cable.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #94
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
This is the NFL's doing trying to keep all their media contracts happy and healthy. From what i understand the NFL is not even contracting with the highest bidder on the Sunday Ticket. They contract with DTV at a rate the NFL basically sets because they are a national entity. Obviously Verizon or Comcast have more money to throw at the NFL than DTV and have tried.

and i have DTV and spend more to have it just so i can watch the broncos every week. Its been very expensive per a game since manning got here. Do to our what... 2 non-national games a season.
Actually CBS was way ahead of Mannings performance the second half last year. There were 5 weeks in a row that Denver was not shown here in Portland last year. At least 6 ( or 7) that I needed DTV for ( or go to the bar).

I will have Sunday ticket next season ( just started DTV late in the year, so got next year free ( so they say) ) but I bet that Denver is not nationally shown more than 8 games this coming season ( unless they get hot and start rolling people).

If you are looking for free tv and have high speed cable then look at an MBox or MXiii box on amazon....XBMC with virtually everything you might want to see is available ....although the video is mostly not streaming from sources that the MPAA would recommend.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #95
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
I'm not sure why it is so important to you I don't use Vudu as a piece of my entertainment package decision that keeps me from having to pay the high prices for cable.
from just a page ago:

Quote:
Renting Vudu, making own popcorn, watching as many times in 24 hours I wish, watching in the comfort of my own living room, - $7-$10 (depending on snacks).
All I did was say vudu was expensive compared to its competition (Netflix and redbox primarily. And you responded with this.

It is more expensive than its competition. The cinema is not its competition. These other services are. Forget the truck example then. To use your bike example, it's like you buying a $500 bike when you could've bought one just as good for $200.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #96
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
from just a page ago:

All I did was say vudu was expensive compared to its competition (Netflix and redbox primarily. And you responded with this.

It is more expensive than its competition. The cinema is not its competition. These other services are. Forget the truck example then. To use your bike example, it's like you buying a $500 bike when you could've bought one just as good for $200.
Home theater is undoubtedly the box office's biggest competition. Which is why you'll see theater operators complain and get defensive about short home-video release dates after box office.

As home theater technology progresses, the only advantage many theaters have is their window of exclusivity.

Which Vudu, Amazon, ITunes, and others do everything they can to cut into.

As for saying they're only 'more expensive' you may as well be asking "why have the internet when there are perfectly good books down at the public library?"

Sometimes the library is still useful. But if I don't want to invest an hour in the process of going there to find what I want, I'll pay a buck or two extra, save the trip, and have what I want at the click of a button.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 03-20-2015 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #97
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Actually CBS was way ahead of Mannings performance the second half last year. There were 5 weeks in a row that Denver was not shown here in Portland last year. At least 6 ( or 7) that I needed DTV for ( or go to the bar).

I will have Sunday ticket next season ( just started DTV late in the year, so got next year free ( so they say) ) but I bet that Denver is not nationally shown more than 8 games this coming season ( unless they get hot and start rolling people).

If you are looking for free tv and have high speed cable then look at an MBox or MXiii box on amazon....XBMC with virtually everything you might want to see is available ....although the video is mostly not streaming from sources that the MPAA would recommend.
in my Baltimore market. the only 3 games weren't available outside of my Sunday ticket. NYJ (first one of the season i needed sunday ticket for) and the final Oakland game were 2 of them. i cant remember the other. the year before i think there was only 2. it was a tough to even renew Sunday ticket.

i do agree that's gonna change.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #98
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

2 years ago I did the VPN, last year I did NFL2go, hope to have something like those this year, until they give me the option just to pay for Sunday Ticket without DTV.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #99
hades

Moved my little Amazon powered HD antenna a little last night, and getting good reception! Have the antenna in the center of the house basically, in the master bedroom closet, and connected to the splitter so all rooms have access to the feed for TV, internet, phone. 3 TV's running off it, and all 3 are doing pretty good!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #100
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:

As for saying they're only 'more expensive' you may as well be asking "why have the internet when there are perfectly good books down at the public library?"

Sometimes the library is still useful. But if I don't want to invest an hour in the process of going there to find what I want, I'll pay a buck or two extra, save the trip, and have what I want at the click of a button.
I honestly don't get the comparison. My library doesn't stock new release movies and I don't use the internet to read books.