The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #51
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
None of those allow me to catch my sports in hi def.
I watched every Broncos game with the exception of a few in high definition last year with that set up. I also follow the Penguins (NHL) and Mariners (MLB) quite diligently. You just have to know where to look.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #52
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I have a question on this subject not trying to hijack this thread though.

Is TV an addiction ? Seems to me it is. I have argued with canceling Dtv for years now but just can't pull the plug.
TV is not a drug. I used to suck d*** for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck d*** for TV?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #53
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
TV is not a drug. I used to suck d*** for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck d*** for TV?
No and on that note I have never sucked a dick. However I drank and quit that. I smoked and quit that. Quit many drugs as well. However I have wanted to drop TV for years now and I can't.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #54
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Get Apple TV when it's released soon. They already have a deal with cbs, Fox, Disney and abc and are working on Viacom (Nickelodeon and Comedy Central) as well as Discovery. And that's just the start.

Rumored price is between $25-$40 a month. Sounds awesome
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #55
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
So you killed cable but you are still stuck on TV . I am beginning to think it may be worse then cigarettes .
Nah, I actually watch about 1/4 of the time I used to watch before (as shows I watched ended I didn't pick up new ones). I also started reading at night before bed instead of watching more than 1 show, since we gave up satellite 3 years ago, I've probably read 80+ books
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #56
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
No and on that note I have never sucked a dick. However I drank and quit that. I smoked and quit that. Quit many drugs as well. However I have wanted to drop TV for years now and I can't.
It's a quote from the movie half baked.....with tv instead of weed.

Seriously though, I don't think there's any doubt that tv is extremely addictive.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #57
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Nah, I actually watch about 1/4 of the time I used to watch before (as shows I watched ended I didn't pick up new ones). I also started reading at night before bed instead of watching more than 1 show, since we gave up satellite 3 years ago, I've probably read 80+ books
This is all good but if you quit smoking and still have 1 smoke a week you are still a smoker. I wish I could quit that much tv
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #58
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
This is all good but if you quit smoking and still have 1 smoke a week you are still a smoker. I wish I could quit that much tv
Ahhh, the difference being, I didn't (and don't) want to "quit" TV, I just didn't want to pay that price for entertainment.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #59
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Get Apple TV when it's released soon. They already have a deal with cbs, Fox, Disney and abc and are working on Viacom (Nickelodeon and Comedy Central) as well as Discovery. And that's just the start.

Rumored price is between $25-$40 a month. Sounds awesome
How is it a good deal when you can get all that for free?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #60
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

No cable for me.

We do Netflix and Hulu. Vudu carries newer movies on a pay per movie platform. Every bit of TV based entertainment we wish to consume is on those services.

I watch the games at friends or families homes. It works out great.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #61
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
No cable for me.

We do Netflix and Hulu. Vudu carries newer movies on a pay per movie platform. Every bit of TV based entertainment we wish to consume is on those services.

I watch the games at friends or families homes. It works out great.
Vudu is expensive as hell.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #62
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Seems on par with any other VOD rental service I've seen. And I tend to like the quality better.

Plus it does 3d, which is sometimes fun for the kids.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #63
Meck77

I don't think there is any free lunch in life. I'm with Beantown. Easier to play the haggle game with DTV. I like my sports in HD. I haggle with DTV about every 6 months for promotions. My biggest grip with DTV is no pac 12 network but I love my nfl ticket. I'm a big Arizona Wildcat fan and like to keep up with them also. Any of you techies know how to get Pac 12 network without a cable cord?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #64
boltaneer

Quote:
I have a question on this subject not trying to hijack this thread though.

Is TV an addiction ? Seems to me it is. I have argued with canceling Dtv for years now but just can't pull the plug.
Cut the cable. You'll be kicking yourself for not doing it years earlier with all the money you'll save.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #65
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

This is the face of boozy delusion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I don't think there is any free lunch in life. I'm with Beantown. Easier to play the haggle game with DTV. I like my sports in HD. I haggle with DTV about every 6 months for promotions. My biggest grip with DTV is no pac 12 network but I love my nfl ticket. I'm a big Arizona Wildcat fan and like to keep up with them also. Any of you techies know how to get Pac 12 network without a cable cord?
That's a dominant source of conversation around here on campus. Bear Down!
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #66
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
There's no free lunch. But there should be a choice other than an all-you-can-eat buffet.

NFL Sunday Ticket is the only reason tons and tons of people even bother with DTV. It's irrational to have a market that forces you into all that when all you really want to do is watch a simple game or two per week.

Eventually it will all settle into something more rational. Unfortunately the NFL has so much leverage on networks and viewers, that for now, they can pretty much do whatever they want and people will fall in line.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #67
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Cut the cable. You'll be kicking yourself for not doing it years earlier with all the money you'll save.
Bah......less than 2 hrs of OT per month pays my directv, internet, home phone and cell phone bills.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #68
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
There is no work involved at all. Actually takes less time than what you will spend talking sense into DirectTV. Maybe 10 minutes of your time. If you are tech savvy, probably less.

If you have a Roku or an Amazon Fire device, you can get the Sling through that. The devices are like $50 or $100. Netflix, Hulu or any of that just requires a subscription and those are just apps on the devices. Or if you have a SmartTV, roll that way.

I don't have a Roku or Amazon Fire device, but I do have a MacAir, AppleTV and a 32" HDTV. All I need is my internet connection to have a huge entertainment system that is virtually wireless besides the power cords for my TV and AppleTV.

My AppleTV has tons of great apps to awesome channels and programs that usually aren't found on basic cable and even packages like DirecTV. Plus, I get everything in HD. AppleTV is free of charge. My internet is blazing fast and things don't even buffer for more than a second.

I also have websites that have HD streams of the few shows I do watch (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc.) which are also free of charge. If people haven't tried ProjectFreeTV, they are missing out.

The best part about it, is via AppleTV -- I can put my MacAir 11.6" screen on my computer onto my 32" TV. It works great that way at the click of a button. I can do my writing, graphic and web design and even play my CK2 | Game of Thrones game on it and not have to shell out $200-250 for an external monitor. Best thing is, those two items are less than a few pounds and fit in my travel bag and can be used with me anywhere I virtually go to entertain family and friends.

All I have to pay? $35 a month. That is for ~ 68 MBPS download speeds and 7 MBPS upload speeds.

Yeah, I am more than content. Hell, I am ballin' out. Factor in a $45 a month for my smartphone no contract phone and for $80 a month, I have the world at my fingertips. Most individuals are spending at least 3 times that a month, families even more.

$960 a year for entertainment as opposed to $4,000 or so?

Yeah, I like being on the winning side of things.

What do you do/subscribe too for those? Sling I could use for Walking Dead, or is there another source?
I don't have Sling yet, too many other things I could watch to occupy my time! There are 2 shows I'll really miss seeing since cutting DirecTv. Shameless on Showtime, and Justified on FX. Any alternate methods for those?
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #69
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
What do you do/subscribe too for those? Sling I could use for Walking Dead, or is there another source?
I don't have Sling yet, too many other things I could watch to occupy my time! There are 2 shows I'll really miss seeing since cutting DirecTv. Shameless on Showtime, and Justified on FX. Any alternate methods for those?
Since dropping satellite, I've been watching older shows that I didn't see in the original runs now that they are free on Amazon Video - especially since they added the HBO back catalog, I'm currently going through Sopranos (Justified and SOA, they are a season behind if you don't want to pay per ep/season) Plus Amazon is creating new shows - love Bosch and they just announced a 2nd season, but then again I've read all 19 of the Harry Bosch novels.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #70
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Justified only has a few episodes left anyway. Sad.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #71
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
NFL Sunday Ticket is the only reason tons and tons of people even bother with DTV. It's irrational to have a market that forces you into all that when all you really want to do is watch a simple game or two per week.
This is the NFL's doing trying to keep all their media contracts happy and healthy. From what i understand the NFL is not even contracting with the highest bidder on the Sunday Ticket. They contract with DTV at a rate the NFL basically sets because they are a national entity. Obviously Verizon or Comcast have more money to throw at the NFL than DTV and have tried.

and i have DTV and spend more to have it just so i can watch the broncos every week. Its been very expensive per a game since manning got here. Do to our what... 2 non-national games a season.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #72
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
Taking the wife and kid to a movie, waiting in line, paying exorbitant prices for treats, dealing with parking, a bunch of people, loud people, no pausing for bathroom breaks, etc, - $40+

Renting Vudu, making own popcorn, watching as many times in 24 hours I wish, watching in the comfort of my own living room, - $7-$10 (depending on snacks).

It doesn't seem all that expensive to me.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #73
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Justified only has a few episodes left anyway. Sad.
I know, if stupid DirecTv wasn't $160/month, I woulda kept it until the series was over. But, I watched episode 10 so really will only miss seeing 2 if I don't get to see them somewhere. May go to a friends house, or just get updates from someone who watches.

Now with Shameless, not seeing Sasha Alexander's boobies again is a sad point. She's hot, I was surprised she actually showed off her boobies!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #74
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Taking the wife and kid to a movie, waiting in line, paying exorbitant prices for treats, dealing with parking, a bunch of people, loud people, no pausing for bathroom breaks, etc, - $40+

Renting Vudu, making own popcorn, watching as many times in 24 hours I wish, watching in the comfort of my own living room, - $7-$10 (depending on snacks).

It doesn't seem all that expensive to me.
You can't compare Vudu to the actual first run movie theaters. Vudu doesn't have movies that are in the theaters right now. You have to compare it to its actual peers: things like Netflix or Redbox.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #75
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You can't compare Vudu to the actual first run movie theaters. Vudu doesn't have movies that are in the theaters right now. You have to compare it to its actual peers: things like Netflix or Redbox.
Netflix isn't a comparison at all. You can't rent new releases there. And you'll very rarely see new releases on Netflix at all.

You can kinda compare Redbox. Although it usually lags on new releases quite awhile as well. Plus there's the whole inventory headache. They're often out of their newest stock.

If you do happen to find what you want (in hi-def), it's $2 per day. A good deal. But if you're like me, getting it back by the next night is a rarity. I usually end up paying $4 or $6 @ Redbox. Which is essentially what I pay Vudu or Amazon.

Except I can watch anything in their catalog, whenever I want. With a much larger selection and no worries about whether someone else rented it before I got there. And no thinking about when I can get back to a kiosk to make the return.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 03-19-2015 at 09:44 AM..