The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #26
jonny1
Ahhh, football!

Broncos' cheerleaders rule!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

The only thing I miss not having cable is the Golf Channel.
jonny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #27
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

All fine and dandy IF you have fast enough internet. Most of the country does not.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #28
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

This is the face of boozy delusion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker

I seriously thought this thread was about fumbled communications. "Demaryius Thomas is a free agent up for grabs after a dropped cable between his agent and the Denver Broncos front office let the franchise tag deadline pass without an official contract."
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #29
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Well, as of today I have officially joined the cut the cord group! No more DirecTv!

I've got Netflix, Roku, OTA channels with a good antenna and later will add Sling TV and Hulu Plus. Plenty to watch for a while now, and will add Sling before MNF starts to get those games.

Between Netflix, Hulu Plus and Sling, I'll still save over $100 a month versus DirecTv. They didn't seem to try too hard to keep me, the best deal I was offered was $7 a month off for a 2 year commitment. I was like WTF, h, no thanks.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #30
BroncosfanGuy
Stoney Case for Heisman

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

can someone give a cliff's notes version of what Sling is? can you actually watch live games with it?
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #31
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
can someone give a cliff's notes version of what Sling is? can you actually watch live games with it?
On ESPN, yeah.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #32
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Just signed up for a 7-day free trial. Checking it out.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #33
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Just go to www.sling.com and read about it!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #34
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you're on XBox Live with an XBone you can get a 30 day trial.

Biggest thing keeping me on the sideline is only one device at a time, and no DVR.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #35
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Waaaaaaaaay too much work involved in all this crap. I'll stick with directv and continue to do the dance, haggle every two years for 15 minutes to spend less than folks who use these alternative methods, while I enjoy more channels, better picture quality and service. It's definitely worth it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #36
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Waaaaaaaaay too much work involved in all this crap. I'll stick with directv and continue to do the dance, haggle every two years for 15 minutes to spend less than folks who use these alternative methods, while I enjoy more channels, better picture quality and service. It's definitely worth it.
There is no work involved at all. Actually takes less time than what you will spend talking sense into DirectTV. Maybe 10 minutes of your time. If you are tech savvy, probably less.

If you have a Roku or an Amazon Fire device, you can get the Sling through that. The devices are like $50 or $100. Netflix, Hulu or any of that just requires a subscription and those are just apps on the devices. Or if you have a SmartTV, roll that way.

I don't have a Roku or Amazon Fire device, but I do have a MacAir, AppleTV and a 32" HDTV. All I need is my internet connection to have a huge entertainment system that is virtually wireless besides the power cords for my TV and AppleTV.

My AppleTV has tons of great apps to awesome channels and programs that usually aren't found on basic cable and even packages like DirecTV. Plus, I get everything in HD. AppleTV is free of charge. My internet is blazing fast and things don't even buffer for more than a second.

I also have websites that have HD streams of the few shows I do watch (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc.) which are also free of charge. If people haven't tried ProjectFreeTV, they are missing out.

The best part about it, is via AppleTV -- I can put my MacAir 11.6" screen on my computer onto my 32" TV. It works great that way at the click of a button. I can do my writing, graphic and web design and even play my CK2 | Game of Thrones game on it and not have to shell out $200-250 for an external monitor. Best thing is, those two items are less than a few pounds and fit in my travel bag and can be used with me anywhere I virtually go to entertain family and friends.

All I have to pay? $35 a month. That is for ~ 68 MBPS download speeds and 7 MBPS upload speeds.

Yeah, I am more than content. Hell, I am ballin' out. Factor in a $45 a month for my smartphone no contract phone and for $80 a month, I have the world at my fingertips. Most individuals are spending at least 3 times that a month, families even more.

$960 a year for entertainment as opposed to $4,000 or so?

Yeah, I like being on the winning side of things.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #37
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

None of those allow me to catch my sports in hi def.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #38
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
None of those allow me to catch my sports in hi def.
OTA signal is better than both cable and satellite.

But you're like me - not in Broncos local coverage, the last 2 years I've had good luck with HQ streams and a few Sundays at BWWs.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #39
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

All I have to pay? $35 a month. That is for ~ 68 MBPS download speeds and 7 MBPS upload speeds.
Wait, you are not paying $35 a month for broadband (68MBps) internet, are you? If so, that's just how its itemized in a package, right? i can't touch 50MBps for less than 70 without a package deal but those include cable tv.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #40
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

I just finished all 6 seasons of Lost in a little over a month. What a terrific show. Netflix and Hulu are my two favorite ways of watching TV. Binge watching...
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #41
MileHighMagic
✝ Proverbs 3:5-6 ✝

Chicks dig the deep ball

Adopt-a-Bronco:
💥#26

Best decision I made was to join the ranks of the cord-cutters. Apple TV is the way to go.

Check out: Movietube.co
It's a movie/tv show site that I use to stream wirelessly via Apple TV or just on my phone for free. You can get anything including movies still in theaters. Some will have subtitles and I try to watch only 720 to 1080p movies.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #42
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
OTA signal is better than both cable and satellite.

But you're like me - not in Broncos local coverage, the last 2 years I've had good luck with HQ streams and a few Sundays at BWWs.
Yup, if it was just the nfl, i could make that work....but I need my bruins and sox too.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #43
MileHighMagic
✝ Proverbs 3:5-6 ✝

Chicks dig the deep ball

Adopt-a-Bronco:
💥#26

Quote:
Yup, if it was just the nfl, i could make that work....but I need my bruins and sox too.
MLB.tv shared accounts with friends is what I use for baseball.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #44
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

You must all be single. Wives and kids don't want to go searching through 4 different services to find a show. If I was a single dude no problem.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #45
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
You must all be single. Wives and kids don't want to go searching through 4 different services to find a show. If I was a single dude no problem.
Wives maybe. Kids figure it out faster than you do.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #46
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I have a question on this subject not trying to hijack this thread though.

Is TV an addiction ? Seems to me it is. I have argued with canceling Dtv for years now but just can't pull the plug.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #47
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
1 wife 3 kids. The Amazon Fire TV is about the easiest thing to do, my 2 year old knows how to play Dora already.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #48
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I have a question on this subject not trying to hijack this thread though.

Is TV an addiction ? Seems to me it is. I have argued with canceling Dtv for years now but just can't pull the plug.
I used to think so too, but 1) I realized that most of the regular shows we watched were on basic network TV anyways that we could get with an antenna and 2) I can't watch much of anything good while the kids are awake anyways, so it limits the amount of shows - I'm going through The Sopranos right now, about 1 ep per night after the kids go to bed.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #49
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I used to think so too, but 1) I realized that most of the regular shows we watched were on basic network TV anyways that we could get with an antenna and 2) I can't watch much of anything good while the kids are awake anyways, so it limits the amount of shows - I'm going through The Sopranos right now, about 1 ep per night after the kids go to bed.
So you killed cable but you are still stuck on TV . I am beginning to think it may be worse then cigarettes .
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #50
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
Wait, you are not paying $35 a month for broadband (68MBps) internet, are you? If so, that's just how its itemized in a package, right? i can't touch 50MBps for less than 70 without a package deal but those include cable tv.
I am paying for internet only through Midcontinent Communications. They had a promotional offer that I can get out of free of charge, as in their is no cancellation fee if I move or am not happy with their services.

It is $34.95 a month for the first twelve months and goes up to $39.95 after the first year. With the promotion, I received a top of the line wireless modem (usually 5$ to rent from them) FREE on that deal.

Either way, it is an insane deal. $40 for 68 MPBS is the best deal I have ever seen. They advertised 60 MPBS on the deal, but on all the tests I run online to check upload and download speed, it has always been 65 to 68 MBPS.

When I last moved, I had CenturyLink, that was netting me dog**** 7 MBPS speed and it cost me $50 a month. They levied me a $200 cancellation fee, which was promptly waived after I sent them a letter in the mail detailing my frustrations, their false advertising on their packages and a subtle message that they would be reported to the BBB, FCC and state regulatory bodies for engaging in such practices.

So yeah man, it is stand alone internet only for that price. With taxes, I believe it is $38 bucks, but still. You cannot beat that speed for that price anywhere in America as far as I am concerned. My first bill was just over $50, because I had a $15 installation fee, which was normally $35, but that too was part of the package.

I can't say enough about them as a company. I doubt they are in your area, but give them a look.