The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,690

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default The notion of picking up a veteran backup...

It's just dumb, and you're dumb if you subscribe to it. No one who is going to be available is going to be able to help us win more than Kelly would if Keenum goes down. The vets we could potentially bring in are all going to be garbage tier players like Osweiler, and we saw exactly how that played out when we signed him and cut Sloter last year. Anyone wanting a repeat of that roster move is borderline brain dead. Kelly should be the backup and Lynch should be cut (no one is trading for that turd). That's all there is to it. Sadly I'm almost certain Elway and Co. are going to **** this up.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 20,293
Default

I fully agree. I'm hoping that they're more hesitant to have to bring in a vet backup because Keenum is the starter.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
halfback
Solid Starter
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Completely agree
halfback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
go_broncos
Fire Vance Joseph
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,048

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's just dumb, and you're dumb if you subscribe to it. No one who is going to be available is going to be able to help us win more than Kelly would if Keenum goes down. The vets we could potentially bring in are all going to be garbage tier players like Osweiler, and we saw exactly how that played out when we signed him and cut Sloter last year. Anyone wanting a repeat of that roster move is borderline brain dead. Kelly should be the backup and Lynch should be cut (no one is trading for that turd). That's all there is to it. Sadly I'm almost certain Elway and Co. are going to **** this up.
Agree.. Lynch can be #3 if he is not cut.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Agree.. Lynch can be #3 if he is not cut.
Nah. That's not going to work. Its time for Lynch to go. Permanently.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
kappys
Ring of Famer
 
kappys's Avatar
 
It will be of little avail to the

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Nah. That's not going to work. Its time for Lynch to go. Permanently.
This team has to purge losers. Surely there is a vet minimum player who can sit on the bench instead of lynch
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 43,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Especially for this team. If you're a Super Bowl contender, I can see the appeal of a veteran back-up, especially if your young QB has an injury history.

But for us? it's stupid and worthless. Stupid and worthless last year, stupid and worthless this year.

Oh, and if anyone's willing to give us anything for Lynch, move him. But we don't need to waste a roster spot on him. I'd rather keep 2 QBs and sign one to the P-squad than waste a spot on Lynch.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
SwagKelly
Just Drafted
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Psst, I’m on let yaw in on a little, you did pick up a solid veteran backup during the offseason
SwagKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 18,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Nah. That's not going to work. Its time for Lynch to go. Permanently.
I agree. Any notion that he's going to get better, or that someone is going to decide to give us even a conditional pick for him is dreaming, at this point. He's not only shown no progress, he's actually regressed.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Especially for this team. If you're a Super Bowl contender, I can see the appeal of a veteran back-up, especially if your young QB has an injury history.

But for us? it's stupid and worthless. Stupid and worthless last year, stupid and worthless this year.

Oh, and if anyone's willing to give us anything for Lynch, move him. But we don't need to waste a roster spot on him. I'd rather keep 2 QBs and sign one to the P-squad than waste a spot on Lynch.
Even if we were a SB team, the vet back up is likely to be ****ty anyway. Let the young guy take his swings.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #11
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's just dumb, and you're dumb if you subscribe to it. No one who is going to be available is going to be able to help us win more than Kelly would if Keenum goes down. The vets we could potentially bring in are all going to be garbage tier players like Osweiler, and we saw exactly how that played out when we signed him and cut Sloter last year. Anyone wanting a repeat of that roster move is borderline brain dead. Kelly should be the backup and Lynch should be cut (no one is trading for that turd). That's all there is to it. Sadly I'm almost certain Elway and Co. are going to **** this up.
agree.

why bother messing with some 30+ year old vet?

When you can develop a young guy who has talent?

its not like people are saying "Superbowl or bust" this year....and lets be real, Matt Moore is not going to win a superbowl on the Broncos
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagKelly View Post
Psst, Im on let yaw in on a little, you did pick up a solid veteran backup during the offseason
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
Guess Who
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18,099
Default

With Lynch stinking it up there is no reason to keep him on the roster as a #3. He has lost his teammates and he needs to be cut.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #14
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 18,623
Default

They would be dumb to try to get Kelly on the practice squad like they did Sloter last year. With the way Kelly looked, and will probably continue to look throughout preseason, and because he's regarded as having 1st to 2nd round talent, there's no way that he clears waivers if they cut him. And if he does, I'm pretty sure some team who really wants him will just outbid the Broncos, just like last year.

They should take the cap hit and cut Lynch, and keep Kelly as the backup. Kelly is on a cheap contract for the next three seasons. Let him learn for the next two years, and at some point due to injury he'll get some action. So he'll have a chance to prove himself without having to be the guy. There would be no pressure on him at all.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #15
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
They would be dumb to try to get Kelly on the practice squad like they did Sloter last year. With the way Kelly looked, and will probably continue to look throughout preseason, and because he's regarded as having 1st to 2nd round talent, there's no way that he clears waivers if they cut him. And if he does, I'm pretty sure some team who really wants him will just outbid the Broncos, just like last year.

They should take the cap hit and cut Lynch, and keep Kelly as the backup. Kelly is on a cheap contract for the next three seasons. Let him learn for the next two years, and at some point due to injury he'll get some action. So he'll have a chance to prove himself without having to be the guy. There would be no pressure on him at all.
he would be snatched up by buffalo, new orleans, or miami in a heartbeat if they tried that
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #16
tonngo0
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 799
Default

cut Lynch will cost almost 2 million more on the cap. I said just do it, and please don't bring in any vet.
tonngo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:59 AM   #17
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 54,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post
cut Lynch will cost almost 2 million more on the cap. I said just do it, and please don't bring in any vet.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 54,669

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel
Default

I think we have some options for Lynch

1) Put him on IR with an injury, he gets to keep the rest of his contract money and does not have to go out and embarrass himself on the gridiron again. Win Win

2) If John really wants to get value out of him and continue to develop him and he still has PS availablity then extend him for 3-4 years at vet min with the $2 Mill we would pay him guaranteed. Work it so he can be cut with little or no dead money after this year. Then hide him on the PS when game day rolls around. Or work the deal so no one would want to pay to sign him off the PS. Leave him there until everything clicks. Not a fan of this option but if John wants to keep him around then it is the best. He isn't get anything over the vet min next year anyway.

3) Eat the dead money and cut him now. Hurts chances of signing someone if someone gets hurt as we would be up against the cap. Also hurts chances of extending someone else.

4) He eats up a roster spot we could use for ST's or a player likely to get signed away by another team and is the 3rd QB all year. I would be upset over this.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 54,669

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post
cut Lynch will cost almost 2 million more on the cap. I said just do it, and please don't bring in any vet.
I thought cutting him is his contract plus the Dead money and $6mill and not $4 mill.

If it is only $4Mill then I would cut him when they get down to the 53.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #20
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 10,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
1) Put him on IR with an injury, he gets to keep the rest of his contract money and does not have to go out and embarrass himself on the gridiron again. Win Win
I think we tried for that injury, but he just threw a pick instead.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #21
SwagKelly
Just Drafted
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post
cut Lynch will cost almost 2 million more on the cap. I said just do it, and please don't bring in any vet.
Tryin to redshirt The Swag again would cost ya a lot more than 2 mill in the long run
SwagKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Denver Broncos