The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Anybody here ever try Maca root?

I've done some reading and this stuff is supposed to give you a great natural energy boost like caffeine does, but without the caffeine crash hours later.

Just curious if anybody has tried it before.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Old Coyote
Cold Drafted

Why must I be like that?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aqib Talib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I've done some reading and this stuff is supposed to give you a great natural energy boost like caffeine does, but without the caffeine crash hours later.

Just curious if anybody has tried it before.
It also is used to stabilize estrogen production in women that are going into menopause and is said to help with violent cramps during periods.
My girl got some to help with cramps from somekinda wizard at one of those natural health stores on the west side of LA. Seems to help her be less grouchy that time of the month. So I bought a giant jug of it.

Can't state on the menopause thing, we ain't that old yet.
Can't state on the caffeine replacement status either, because though I have heard that too and have a whole jug of that dirt smelling powder, I refuse to try it for fear of my estrogen levels being stimulated.

But by all means.....

Test it out Bro, and report back. Please add to the report if you feel a sudden urge to make dudes a sandwich or you grow man boobs like a KFC fan or something.
Old Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
It also is used to stabilize estrogen production in women that are going into menopause and is said to help with violent cramps during periods.
My girl got some to help with cramps from somekinda wizard at one of those natural health stores on the west side of LA. Seems to help her be less grouchy that time of the month. So I bought a giant jug of it.

Can't state on the caffeine replacement status either, because though I have heard that too and have a whole jug of that dirt smelling powder, I refuse to try it for fear of my estrogen levels being stimulated.

But by all means.....

Test it out Bro, and report back. Please add to the report if you feel a sudden urge to make dudes a sandwich or you grow man boobs like a KFC fan or something.
Baja would have had something to say about this!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
Old Coyote
Cold Drafted

Why must I be like that?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aqib Talib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Baja would have had something to say about this!
Baja would of had a recipe.
And a smoother approach on the clowning.
But he still woulda clowned.

Sure is a lonelier place without him.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post

But by all means.....

Well I did alot more research on this. There are 3 different types of Maca (Red, Black, Yellow).

It helps to stabilize estrogen because it's an adaptogen. It will balance hormone levels in both men and women. If you're a woman taking it, it will help balance estrogen, for men, testosterone. I don't have any issues with that so I was really looking for the energy boost.

What got me interested in trying it was reading this (and I've seen similar things said about it all over the web).

Consuming maca often makes people feel more “alive”, energetic, and leaves them with a sense of well-being, all of which are thought to be due to its ability to restore proper hormone balance and elevate “feel good” endorphins. Another benefit of maca is its relatively high amount of absorbable plant-based nutrients, including protein, fiber, calcium and magnesium, among others.

Of those 3 types of Maca, it's sold either in Raw form or Gelatinized form. I guess people with stomach issues should avoid the Raw form, but it's not as effective. I've got an iron stomach so I decided to try the Raw stuff.

I've only taken it for a week and I missed some days in there, and many have said you should gradually increase the dosage over the weeks but to also avoid taking it in the evening if you want to get to sleep at a decent time. So I took a heaping tablespoon the first day. Don't do that, LMAO. You will have to sit on the throne within 30 minutes regardless of where you are or what you are doing. It's on the way so be ready for it. I immediately reduced it down to half a tablespoon the next day with no issues at all. Hard to say if I felt some immediate energy, but I also can't really say the same thing if I slam a cup of coffee. I did sleep fantastic that night, better then I have in quite some time so it might really help with the sense of well being and relaxing thing. I'm going to up the dosage this week and take it 7 days in a row. I'll post back my findings.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Old Coyote
Cold Drafted

Why must I be like that?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aqib Talib

Quote:
Well I did alot more research on this. There are 3 different types of Maca (Red, Black, Yellow).

It helps to stabilize estrogen because it's an adaptogen. It will balance hormone levels in both men and women. If you're a woman taking it, it will help balance estrogen, for men, testosterone. I don't have any issues with that so I was really looking for the energy boost.

What got me interested in trying it was reading this (and I've seen similar things said about it all over the web).

Consuming maca often makes people feel more “alive”, energetic, and leaves them with a sense of well-being, all of which are thought to be due to its ability to restore proper hormone balance and elevate “feel good” endorphins. Another benefit of maca is its relatively high amount of absorbable plant-based nutrients, including protein, fiber, calcium and magnesium, among others.

Of those 3 types of Maca, it's sold either in Raw form or Gelatinized form. I guess people with stomach issues should avoid the Raw form, but it's not as effective. I've got an iron stomach so I decided to try the Raw stuff.

I've only taken it for a week and I missed some days in there, and many have said you should gradually increase the dosage over the weeks but to also avoid taking it in the evening if you want to get to sleep at a decent time. So I took a heaping tablespoon the first day. Don't do that, LMAO. You will have to sit on the throne within 30 minutes regardless of where you are or what you are doing. It's on the way so be ready for it. I immediately reduced it down to half a tablespoon the next day with no issues at all. Hard to say if I felt some immediate energy, but I also can't really say the same thing if I slam a cup of coffee. I did sleep fantastic that night, better then I have in quite some time so it might really help with the sense of well being and relaxing thing. I'm going to up the dosage this week and take it 7 days in a row. I'll post back my findings.
Good info.
I think I must have the Yellow.
And yeah, I have since asked the natural food wizard guy and he said it was also safe for men.
Didn't know to ask about the colors though.

I tried a bit in my smoothy this morning. I also can't report feeling more awake or anything. But maybe it was too subtle compared to coffee?....
I didn't get sleepy. But that could just be normal too.
Pretty much it just seemed like I added a ground up tree root to my shake. Tasted like it too.

But I'm down to keep up switching it out for my morning joe too and report back if it seems to work.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:58 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I've been taking this now for 3 months regularly. I know it's been some 10 months or so since this thread started and I only took it here and there for several months, it just tasted so fricken bad it was hard to take it every day. But I have now the past 3 months.

But my thoughts on it are it's decent. It's not a magic pill for anything, but it definitely gives you more energy. Take it in the AM because you won't sleep if you take it in the evening. I don't know about any of this balancing mood stuff, I guess cuz I never felt out of balance or anything to begin with. But I'll tell you another thing this stuff does is if you have any kind of blockage, holy hell, you won't after taking a tablespoon of this stuff. I don't have and never had any issues with constipation, but if there are people that do suffer from that, from medications or something, throw a table spoon of this in a cup of coffee and wait 15 minutes and you're problems are no more, hahahahaha.

And it definitely has to be one of the most foul tasting supplements I've ever had. It's like grabbing a fist full of dirt and eating it.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
LoserSlick
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I've been taking this now for 3 months regularly. I know it's been some 10 months or so since this thread started and I only took it here and there for several months, it just tasted so fricken bad it was hard to take it every day. But I have now the past 3 months.

But my thoughts on it are it's decent. It's not a magic pill for anything, but it definitely gives you more energy. Take it in the AM because you won't sleep if you take it in the evening. I don't know about any of this balancing mood stuff, I guess cuz I never felt out of balance or anything to begin with. But I'll tell you another thing this stuff does is if you have any kind of blockage, holy hell, you won't after taking a tablespoon of this stuff. I don't have and never had any issues with constipation, but if there are people that do suffer from that, from medications or something, throw a table spoon of this in a cup of coffee and wait 15 minutes and you're problems are no more, hahahahaha.

And it definitely has to be one of the most foul tasting supplements I've ever had. It's like grabbing a fist full of dirt and eating it.
my honest advice: it takes 'some' discipline (which is a problem for some people), but you should dedicate 6 to 12 months to a 70-80% ketogenic diet.

not as an end all be all, but by actually physically experiencing it, you will better understand and become more familiar with the effects of sugars on your body.

i went ketogenic for roughly 8 months and the whole up/down carb feeling completely disappeared. it's really kind of bizarre. the last 5 months of that period i just flat out didn't need caffeine anymore (and i'm a tea-oholic!).

even tho i'm no longer on it, going keto has permanently changed the way i eat. if you do the same, like me, you will always be mindful of carbs and sugars. sugar is the enemy!

that said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting herbal supplements. the only rule is to always try to ingest them in their natural form and with other food
LoserSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:03 AM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoserSlick View Post
my honest advice: it takes 'some' discipline (which is a problem for some people), but you should dedicate 6 to 12 months to a 70-80% ketogenic diet.

not as an end all be all, but by actually physically experiencing it, you will better understand and become more familiar with the effects of sugars on your body.

i went ketogenic for roughly 8 months and the whole up/down carb feeling completely disappeared. it's really kind of bizarre. the last 5 months of that period i just flat out didn't need caffeine anymore (and i'm a tea-oholic!).

even tho i'm no longer on it, going keto has permanently changed the way i eat. if you do the same, like me, you will always be mindful of carbs and sugars. sugar is the enemy!

that said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting herbal supplements. the only rule is to always try to ingest them in their natural form and with other food
I've sorta been on this the past month. Mostly just a big reduction in carbs, about the only carbs I'm taking in are veggies and fruits. I've also been doing that fasting where I don't eat breakfast anymore, and then getting all my calories in within a 8 hour period.

The only time I eat more carbs are when I lift weights. I read that being in Ketosis is great for cardio type of training, because the ketones can be used for fuel for that. But for lifting weights, you're body can't produce enough ketones fast enough for that. So I'll eat a sweet potato or something like that an hour before I lift for that extra fuel I need. But overall, it's been really good reducing my carbs to just that. No pasta, no bread, no sugar. It only took me a week or so to get over those urges. It's going good now, down to a 34" waist. My goal is 32" by April.