The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #1376
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker

Also I consider The Electric Typewriter to be one of the true treasures in online literature. Can get lost there for hours.

http://tetw.org
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #1377
BowlenBall
UDFA

War Daddy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josey Jewell

Just finished Al Franken's new book -- would definitely recommend it, regardless of your political affiliation. There was a lot I didn't know about how the Senate worked....

BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #1378
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Finished China Miéville's "Embassytown" (thanks for the recommendation, Shifty) today. Not the best book I ever read, but still very good sci-fi. Language as a drug is not a concept I've ever seen before, but China Miéville is an interesting author and he portrayed it well. I think this one will be better on a re-read though. So many details and concepts being thrown out that you can get a bit lost along the way.
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #1379
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
Finished China Miéville's "Embassytown" (thanks for the recommendation, Shifty) today. Not the best book I ever read, but still very good sci-fi. Language as a drug is not a concept I've ever seen before, but China Miéville is an interesting author and he portrayed it well. I think this one will be better on a re-read though. So many details and concepts being thrown out that you can get a bit lost along the way.
Yeah, chunks of it were a bit hard to wrap my head around but it had some interesting concepts. The Bas Lag novels are really awesome. Especially if you are into urban fantasy. Perdido Street Station has this cool Lovecraftian horror vibe going on.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #1380
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Yeah, chunks of it were a bit hard to wrap my head around but it had some interesting concepts. The Bas Lag novels are really awesome. Especially if you are into urban fantasy. Perdido Street Station has this cool Lovecraftian horror vibe going on.
I'm going to re-read it in a month or two. I'll bet I spend a lot of time thinking "that makes more sense now" when I do.

I've got to finish the series I'm currently reading, the Alex Benedict" series by Jack McDevitt , before I start another series. Once done though, I think I'm finally going to do "Perdido Street Station" and it's accompanying volumes.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #1381
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
EDIT: And for the record I haven't read Palmer yet. Just heard great things about her. No clue how good she actually is.
"Too Like the Lightning" has been nominated for this year's Hugo award so it can't be all bad.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #1382
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Now give me back my avatar!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Blood Meridian's ending more than made up for the book. Having read its entirety I want to read it again to get a better perspective of it. Perfect. Felt like the end of the sopranos a little. Read it if you havent
A Defiant Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #1383
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Started Perdido Street and had to stop. Way too much detail and way too many things happening to keep track of while working. I'm going to have to postpone it (the premise is incredibly intriguing) until I can get to it on my Kobo.

So, I did a re-read of "Airman" by Eoin Colfer. It's one of his stand alone novels about a young man who is born in an air balloon, unjustly accused of murder and treachery, becomes an Airman and eventually wins the day. Yes, all the tropes are there, but it's so well written that it absolutely works. Really fun read.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #1384
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Finished the week with another re-read. "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson. If you've read his Stormlight Archives, you'll probably be exited that book three is due out in November.

Shifty,
I finally got "Echopraxia" from the Library. Gonna do a re-read of "Blindsight" (it's been a looooong time) and then that one.

Last edited by No1BroncoFan; 06-23-2017 at 08:49 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #1385
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
Finished the week with another re-read. "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson. If you've read his Stormlight Archives, you'll probably be exited that book three is due out in November.

Shifty,
I finally got "Echopraxia" from the Library. Gonna do a re-read of "Blindsight" (it's been a looooong time) and then that one.
Nice!

I'm thinking of doing a re-read as well after Rifters.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #1386
Ponyta
Seasoned Veteran

Born to Run

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just read a great book called I Predict that discussed a lot of things we are likely to see in the next 5 to 10 years. I would definitely recommend it.
Ponyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #1387
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm feeling in the mood for a Western. Any suggestions?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #1388
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I have been playing the video game Witcher 3 lately. I discovered the game is based on a series of books. Got the first one, Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski. Not a bad read. Fantasy genre, obviously.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #1389
JPPT1974
Father's Day 2018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning!

Love anything and everything non fiction!
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 AM   #1390
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Glad to see Reynolds getting back to some of the darker scifi. The Poseidon's Children trilogy was complete crap, I didn't even finish the last book.

I also read A Talent for War after all the buzz around here. Not bad, I will get to the next one after I finish Scalzi's new book.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #1391
D.B.
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWill

I just finished CJ Box's latest, Vicious Circle. It was his typical easy reading Wyoming mystery. If like that kinda of thing, ohtdoors, hunting and fishing, Wyoming with an occasional Colorado and Broncos reference, it's worth the time.
D.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #1392
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I'm in the middle of True Grit. Going for No Country For Old Men next. Haven't seen either movie
Old 06-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #1393
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Defiant Goose View Post
I'm in the middle of True Grit. Going for No Country For Old Men next. Haven't seen either movie
I read True Grit not too long ago. Having seen the movie, I wouldn't really call No Country For Old Men a Western. But it would probably be an interesting book, nonetheless.

I used to love Michael Crichton. Then he died. It's hard to get into his new material, when he's dead. But one of his old manuscripts was found and released by his wife, not too long ago. It's a western, and almost what you could consider historical fiction. Much of it was set in Deadwood. Pretty interesting. I didn't love it. But it was okay.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #1394
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I read True Grit not too long ago. Having seen the movie, I wouldn't really call No Country For Old Men a Western. But it would probably be an interesting book, nonetheless.

I used to love Michael Crichton. Then he died. It's hard to get into his new material, when he's dead. But one of his old manuscripts was found and released by his wife, not too long ago. It's a western, and almost what you could consider historical fiction. Much of it was set in Deadwood. Pretty interesting. I didn't love it. But it was okay.
I moved to NH recently and have a 1.5 hour train/subway ride to and from work every day. Which sounds terrible, but it's not so bad. It does mean I get a lot more time to read (alone time I won't get at home) and my to-read list has about 8 Westerns lined up lol.

The Last Gunfight (the OK Corral shooting)
The Shootist
Riders of the Purple Sage
Last of the Breed

I did just finish Hondo in like 3 days after Blood Meridian. Reading blood meridian in two weeks and following it up with Hondo was like watching Saw and following it up with an episode of the teletubbies. Way simpler and easier to read, and kinda corny. But it's good if you're just looking for a short story and not too much metaphorical and deep writing
Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #1395
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Lolita.

Such a good book.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #1396
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Not traditional westerns, but I've heard good things about the Walt Longmire Mystery series. The show on Netflix ain't half-bad.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #1397
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Flash boys. Purty good stuff.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #1398
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Any books comparable to A Song of Fire and Ice or Lord of the Rings? I gave Wheel of Time a shot recently. It's good but a little too G rated.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #1399
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

no I have not.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:28 AM   #1400
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
Any books comparable to A Song of Fire and Ice or Lord of the Rings? I gave Wheel of Time a shot recently. It's good but a little too G rated.
I think The Paradise War by Stephen Lawhead is sort of close. It's a trilogy. I've only gotten thru half of the book because I bought it when I never really had time to read. But it's almost like GoT. If a 1 were nothing like it and a 10 was exactly GoT, this book is probably at a 6.5. Again I've only read half the book though so it could probably turn out completely different but as far as I read it might be what you're looking for