The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #1226
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Have brushed off my Piston Harmony book and going through that along with "The Classical Style By Charles Rosen. My bucket list is to do all the exercises in the Piston book. I am not a big word puzzle or sudoko guy but writing out harmony is a mental workout.

Still trying to finish Anna Karenina, got 3/4ths through and having trouble finishing it, maybe once Soccer is over.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #1227
JoshMcDanielsIsTheDevil
Mighty Kushman

Ham on Rye. Bukowski.
JoshMcDanielsIsTheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #1228
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Red Rising Excellent Trilogy.
Totally Agree!! I read that trilogy in about 3 days. Flew by!! Really hoping more from this author!!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #1229
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Disagree. I liked Name of the Wind better by a good bit.

The Gentleman Bastards series is far better than both, though. It's like Game of Thrones meets Oceans 11... in a good way.

Side story: After getting frustrated that Rothfuss was taking forever on book 3 in the Kingkiller Chronicles, and having dealt with it before over and over again with Martin, Jordan, Feist, Brooks, etc, I said I'd only read completed series from here out, so I picked the Gentleman Bastards series because all three were done. Turns out it's absolutely not a trilogy and isn't done either and I'll be waiting years for any resolution there too :/
Rev, read Red Rising! I loved the Rothfuss books, but man, he is taking forever to bring his next book out....many believe that is the last book to the trilogy, but we won't know until that book is out.
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #1230
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

One of the best books I have read in a while. It's not a literary masterpiece or anything but a real page turner. They are making it into a move directed by Spielberg.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #1231
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #1232
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post

One of the best books I have read in a while. It's not a literary masterpiece or anything but a real page turner. They are making it into a move directed by Spielberg.
This is what happens when Monsanto gets into gaming.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #1233
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Quote:

"Assistant coaches, even great assistants, rarely get their own books. One of the things Touched does well is to let the reader see college football through an assistant coach's eyes. There are stories about recruiting trips, film exchanges, coaching from the press box, and working together as a member of the staff. For anyone who ever wondered just what life was like for an assistant coach, Sandusky's book is a good place to start finding out."[2]

Last edited by rmsanger; 05-27-2016 at 10:07 AM..
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #1234
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Eye Of The Needle - Ken Follet (1979)

If you enjoy WW2 Spy thillers, this is one of the best. I never did see the movie so I can't compare the 2.

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #1235
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I've heard good things about this. Gonna add it to my shortlist (which is pretty long).

Just finished Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy. Reading China Mieville right now. The City & The City was great. Very Philip K Dickish. Embassytown appears to be pretty good too, so far. Perdido Street Station and The Scar after that.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #1236
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Eye Of The Needle - Ken Follet (1979)

If you enjoy WW2 Spy thillers, this is one of the best. I never did see the movie so I can't compare the 2.

Every Ken Follett book is good.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #1237
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:

The Gentleman Bastards series is far better than both, though. It's like Game of Thrones meets Oceans 11... in a good way.

Side story: After getting frustrated that Rothfuss was taking forever on book 3 in the Kingkiller Chronicles, and having dealt with it before over and over again with Martin, Jordan, Feist, Brooks, etc, I said I'd only read completed series from here out, so I picked the Gentleman Bastards series because all three were done. Turns out it's absolutely not a trilogy and isn't done either and I'll be waiting years for any resolution there too :/
Somewhere along the way I did an audible of The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards) when I had a long work road trip around the state. That book basically launched me into the "fantasy" genre. Since then I've consumed Sanderson's Mistborn books (including the Alloy of Law books), Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles, Song of Fire and Ice, The Cycle of Arwan (and the second set of books, not yet complete, The Cycle of Galland) by Edward Robertson, The Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler, Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Stavely, Trysmoon saga by Brian Fuller, The Raven Shadow novels by Anthony Ryan, the Lightbringer books by Brent Weeks. I enjoyed all of the above.

I really need to ween myself off the genre and read something else. That being said, if you enjoy any of those books, I recommend in this order: 1) Gentleman Bastards; 2) Trysmoon saga; 3) Kingkiller Chronicles (though the third book may never be released); and 4) The Mistborn series.

After reading some of Edward Robertson's fantasy stuff I did read his Breakers series and quite enjoyed that as well.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #1238
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jordan Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Chick lit.
The Goldfinch is a great book...very vivid...won the Pulitzer. Chick lit or not.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #1239
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm on the last book of Glen Cook's Black Company series. I've enjoyed them thoroughly. Took a few chapters to get used to his writing style, but the story is up there with WoT and aSoIaF, imo.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:57 AM   #1240
retro
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Right now im reading Devotion by Adam Makos.

It's the true story of the first black Navy Pilot and the bond he forms with his white wingman in the Korean war. So far it's really good.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #1241
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
I've heard good things about this. Gonna add it to my shortlist (which is pretty long).

Just finished Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy. Reading China Mieville right now. The City & The City was great. Very Philip K Dickish. Embassytown appears to be pretty good too, so far. Perdido Street Station and The Scar after that.
I loved Hamilton's Night Dawn Trilogy. The ending is a little disappointing but he does a great job of creating his universe. Also Captain Calvert is the scoundrel that Hon Solo aspires to be.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #1242
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
This is what happens when Monsanto gets into gaming.
Lol, ya pretty much.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #1243
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Red Rising Excellent Trilogy.
These books are pretty good. I just finished the third.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #1244
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

I read almost entirely non-fiction. Self-improvement, financial, history... Every 5th book I try to read a classic. After the great gatsby it's been about every 6th book. Talk about an over-rated snoozer.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #1245
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Welp, I just bought all three on kindle.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #1246
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

So I have a confession. I have not "Read" a book in a long time. I have a job with hundreds of hours of windshield time and I am Listening to all of these books on Audible. So now you know my dirty little secret.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #1247
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
So I have a confession. I have not "Read" a book in a long time. I have a job with hundreds of hours of windshield time and I am Listening to all of these books on Audible. So now you know my dirty little secret.
I guess since we are fessing up I too am guilty of listening to more books then I read. Half hour to work each way, 4 hours in the gym and then time in the yard. I probably listen to 12 hours a week of audio books. I usually listen at 1.5 speed and can get through most normal books in a little over a week.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #1248
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

I just read the princess bride and LOVED it.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #1249
Shananahan
#snakelife

BLASTED

It doesn't count if you skip the kissing parts.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #1250
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I loved Hamilton's Night Dawn Trilogy. The ending is a little disappointing but he does a great job of creating his universe. Also Captain Calvert is the scoundrel that Hon Solo aspires to be.
Yeah, the ending was a bit of a slap in the face but it could've been worse. How does the Commonwealth Saga stack up? Thinking about starting that soon.

Have you read Alastair Reynolds before? He's been recommended to me.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote