The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 01:41 AM   #551
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18,245

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Glad to see Nuggets playing well. We'll see if they can do the same thing on the road.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #552
sgbfan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Glad to see Nuggets playing well. We'll see if they can do the same thing on the road.
That was their struggle last year right? Killed it at home, but losing record on the road?
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #553
sgbfan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
It was amazing. Have to hand it to the Jazz but finish it, damn.
DM is off to a slow start. I'm not worried about him though. Jazz win going away if he is able to play like last year. He'll be fine though.

Jazz also win if the refs call the game fairly the second half. That is an entirely different story though. Stupid NBA star treatment. That and call a freaking technical on Green. He gets away with blatantly yelling at the refs 2-3 times a game.

Last edited by sgbfan; 10-22-2018 at 11:03 AM..
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 PM   #554
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 23,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

Lakers handling the Nuggets.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #555
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 43,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

That was a fun game
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:03 AM   #556
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18,245

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Lakers starting to pick up steam. I went to the Lakers @ Suns game 2 nights ago and watched them live steam roll my Suns. It was ugly.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:21 PM   #557
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

The Nuggets are now 8-1, their best opening record since going 8-0 in their first NBA season, in case anyone's interested. They're 1/2 game behind the Warriors in the West and tied with Toronto for the 2nd best record in the league. They got here by doing something they didn't do as much as they should last year, beating teams they should beat on the road.

It might be time to start watching them.

Denver blew out the Jazz tonight, coming from 9 down and going on an 18-0 run in the 4th quarter behind a superior bench, outscoring Utah 35-15 for a 103-88 win. Most noteworthy though was HOW they did it...with defense, and a half court game where they beat the Jazz at their own game...the pick and roll. The Nuggets scored only 5 points on the break, but Jokic had a typical Jokic game, only scoring 7 but dominating Rudy Gobert in the process, who played 47 minutes. The Joker played just 29 minutes and pulled down 10 boards and dished off an absurd 16 assists. Gary Harris continues to improve, leading the team with 20. He also D'd up and shut down Donovan Mitchell, who went 7-22 (0-7 from distance). The Jazz starting backcourt of Rubio and Mitchell went 10-32 on the night. The Nuggets also beat the Jazz on the boards 48-40 and dished off 32 assists.

The Celts are up next...Monday in Denver. I expect this to be the toughest test they've had yet.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #558
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 18,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
The Nuggets are now 8-1, their best opening record since going 8-0 in their first NBA season, in case anyone's interested. They're 1/2 game behind the Warriors in the West and tied with Toronto for the 2nd best record in the league. They got here by doing something they didn't do as much as they should last year, beating teams they should beat on the road.

It might be time to start watching them.

Denver blew out the Jazz tonight, coming from 9 down and going on an 18-0 run in the 4th quarter behind a superior bench, outscoring Utah 35-15 for a 103-88 win. Most noteworthy though was HOW they did it...with defense, and a half court game where they beat the Jazz at their own game...the pick and roll. The Nuggets scored only 5 points on the break, but Jokic had a typical Jokic game, only scoring 7 but dominating Rudy Gobert in the process, who played 47 minutes. The Joker played just 29 minutes and pulled down 10 boards and dished off an absurd 16 assists. Gary Harris continues to improve, leading the team with 20. He also D'd up and shut down Donovan Mitchell, who went 7-22 (0-7 from distance). The Jazz starting backcourt of Rubio and Mitchell went 10-32 on the night. The Nuggets also beat the Jazz on the boards 48-40 and dished off 32 assists.

The Celts are up next...Monday in Denver. I expect this to be the toughest test they've had yet.
Looking forward to Celtics picking up their game and they seem to be on that trend except tonight, damn. Nice to see Hayward finally getting involved in a positive way. Have tickets to their game against the Jazz next Friday but bummed Irving won't be playing. Go Celtics! against the Nuggs and Jazz.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #559
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18,245

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Ugh, meanwhile, my Suns are a complete joke once again.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #560
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Jokic is 11th in the NBA in assists now. He’s doing without Wil Barton in the lineup as well.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #561
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Ugh, meanwhile, my Suns are a complete joke once again.
They have talent but they are extremely young, have no vet 2 way star and a brand new coach.

The problem with teams being built these days is that so many of the players are offense only. So you have no defensive linchpin to force them to commit to it.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #562
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
They have talent but they are extremely young, have no vet 2 way star and a brand new coach.

The problem with teams being built these days is that so many of the players are offense only. So you have no defensive linchpin to force them to commit to it.
That's why the Nuggets went out and got Paul Millsap. The entire team's defense has picked up and they've also changed the scheme. I've always wondered why defense isn't considered as important as scoring. It's half the game.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #563
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Jamal Murray outdueled All-Star guard Kyrie Irving tonight, scorching the Celtics for a career-high 48 points, and the Nuggets came from 18 down in the first quarter to roll past Boston 115-107, moving to 9-1, jumping into a tie with Golden State atop the Western Conference standings. The craziest part of this start? Denver has been in an uncharacteristic shooting slump, is still minus SF Will Barton and is still without Isaiah Thomas, yet they're winning with defense, and now rank 3rd in the NBA in total team defense. They are also winning even when Nikola Jokic has an off night.

If this team gets it's offensive kinks worked out, how good can they be?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:46 PM   #564
serious hops
Developmental poster
 
serious hops's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 303
Posts: 654

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper
Default

It's really early still, but the Nugs are looking legit. We knew they could be good if they'd commit to a consistent effort on defense, and they are playing hard every night on both ends. The Barton in jury may be throwing off their offensive rhythm a bit, but it's also allowing them to get beneficial minutes for guys like Juancho and Beasley. And while Thomas can obviously be another added dimension on offense IF he's right, I'm in no hurry for them to bring him back with the way Morris is playing. The guy's already better defensively than IT can ever be, and he's showing plenty of basketball IQ for a redshirt freshman who was mostly in the G-League last year. Dude threw some nasty lobs in transition tonight.

If Murray makes the jump this year that he looks like he's capable of, the future for the Nuggets will look extraordinarily bright. And that's even if Michael Porter never gets healthy. Connolly has done a hell of a job putting this roster together.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #565
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious hops View Post
It's really early still, but the Nugs are looking legit. We knew they could be good if they'd commit to a consistent effort on defense, and they are playing hard every night on both ends. The Barton in jury may be throwing off their offensive rhythm a bit, but it's also allowing them to get beneficial minutes for guys like Juancho and Beasley. And while Thomas can obviously be another added dimension on offense IF he's right, I'm in no hurry for them to bring him back with the way Morris is playing. The guy's already better defensively than IT can ever be, and he's showing plenty of basketball IQ for a redshirt freshman who was mostly in the G-League last year. Dude threw some nasty lobs in transition tonight.

If Murray makes the jump this year that he looks like he's capable of, the future for the Nuggets will look extraordinarily bright. And that's even if Michael Porter never gets healthy. Connolly has done a hell of a job putting this roster together.
Agree on Morris, and take a closer look. Morris is tied for the #1 assist to turnover ratio in the NBA at a sparkling 7.0-1 and he's the leagues 2nd ranked PG in terms of steals to turnovers at 2.0:1. He's also holding his own against the league's best PB's on defense and he's been the stabilizing influence for the bench unit that last year struggled with inconsistency and turnovers. He's shooting well enough from outside to open the floor and he can get to the rim pretty much at will. Most impressive, as you said, he's basically a rookie in the league.

How good will this team be if both Michael Porter Jr. and Jarrod Vanderbilt are ready to go next season?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #566
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious hops View Post
If Murray makes the jump this year that he looks like he's capable of, the future for the Nuggets will look extraordinarily bright. And that's even if Michael Porter never gets healthy. Connolly has done a hell of a job putting this roster together.
For the first time in my life you can see a path forward where the Nuggets hoist a banner. If Porter can be even 1/2 the player he was projected to be before the injury this team is absolutely stacked. Porter fits in absolutely perfectly into a lineup with Harris, Murray, Jokic, and Millsap. That's a lineup that could win multiple titles and it really does come down to a single player.

This is the closest the Nuggets may ever be. It's pretty exciting.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #567
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
For the first time in my life you can see a path forward where the Nuggets hoist a banner. If Porter can be even 1/2 the player he was projected to be before the injury this team is absolutely stacked. Porter fits in absolutely perfectly into a lineup with Harris, Murray, Jokic, and Millsap. That's a lineup that could win multiple titles and it really does come down to a single player.

This is the closest the Nuggets may ever be. It's pretty exciting.
I think fans are overlooking the importance of Jarred Vanderbilt too. This is a guy who is a freak of nature, and had he not gotten hurt, probably a lottery pick. Go check out his highlights, and you'll see a 6'9", 220 pound guy with an NBA ready upper body who can dominate the boards, handle the ball like a point guard, pass like one as well, and most importantly, he can actually play any position on the floor. Vanderbilt is a potential defensive monster with a 7'3" wingspan and a 40-inch vertical jump. Right now his only question mark other than his foot injury, is his jumper. But even if it doesn't improve, he's got the ability to slash to the basket and score at will. I think he will snatch Torrey Craig's job as a defensive stopper on the wing, and he can guard both bigs and guards. If he's healthy, he plays in the G-league next year, but watch him moving into 2020.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 AM   #568
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18,245

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
They have talent but they are extremely young, have no vet 2 way star and a brand new coach.

The problem with teams being built these days is that so many of the players are offense only. So you have no defensive linchpin to force them to commit to it.
Yeah, they are very young, but it feels like they've been that way for several years, and with being one of the worst teams again, will yield yet another top 3 pick, and continue to be 'very young'.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #569
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

These Nuggets are great but it sure seems that Joker is at his best when he's not paired up with Millsap. They are just not compatible out there it seems. But that is a testament to how well they are playing that even without them meshing they are still beating teams.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #570
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Also, can we please agree that Melo is a basketball cancer?
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #571
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
These Nuggets are great but it sure seems that Joker is at his best when he's not paired up with Millsap. They are just not compatible out there it seems. But that is a testament to how well they are playing that even without them meshing they are still beating teams.
Millsap is playing lights out on defense, and few people notice because he does things that just don't show up in the box score. On top of that, his offensive game is returning. He's been a valuable 4th or 5th option at opportune moments without having to seek out a shot. The best part about him though is that he's leading by example for these young guys. How valuable is that? Imagine what kind of impact he's having on guys like Jerrod Vanderbilt, who will step into the defensive role as Millsap is leaving. Jokic is going to have nights where the other team sells out to stop him, and Boston did that. But the flip side is that he's now playing real defense. Jokic scored 7 last night, but he pulls down 10 boards and has 8 assists...mortal numbers for him but it didn't matter.

What's really getting lost in the Jokic attention, or even what happened last night with Murray, is that this bench is just nasty. Denver's bench is so deep, and it is just crushing teams in the 2nd half. You look at what they've got there...defense, shooting, versatility and most of all, a seamless chemistry and an attitude...that's what championship teams have. This Boston game was a great barometer of where they are heading...they just hung 115 on the best defense in the league on a night where they had one guy on their game and nobody else was in their groove. They did it without Barton, which is big for Jokic because that's his guy, and they did it with Jokic and Plumley combining for 9 points. That's just scary. When they start hitting shots again...which will happen...we might be watching the emergence of the team they were supposed to become in another two years taking shape early.

They were built to follow the Warriors model, and there's a reason they also give them more trouble than just about anybody.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 11-06-2018 at 11:00 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #572
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Sick...

footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #573
Greatspirits
Oh-doh-hee-yu
 
Greatspirits's Avatar
 
Ready for some Swag!

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Park Hill
Posts: 1,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Outlaw
Default

This team is fun to watch, I love the bench play; Morris, Jauncho, Plumdog, Craig, Lyles and defense are a big the reason for the nice start this year. It will be interesting to see how the pieces fit together when Barton comes back and when IT is ready to play. Don't know if we'll see much of Porter and Vanderbilt this year but they could be a couple of nice pieces going forward. The future looks bright!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #574
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 915

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Lakers handling the Nuggets.
Lakers getting handled by everybody else
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #575
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 34,656

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatspirits View Post
This team is fun to watch, I love the bench play; Morris, Jauncho, Plumdog, Craig, Lyles and defense are a big the reason for the nice start this year. It will be interesting to see how the pieces fit together when Barton comes back and when IT is ready to play. Don't know if we'll see much of Porter and Vanderbilt this year but they could be a couple of nice pieces going forward. The future looks bright!
The plan as I understand it has been to keep Porter out the entire year to let him rehab, and it appears that's going to be what they do with Vanderbilt too. Why not? They don't need either one at this point. Keeping them on the team and letting them soak up things from the bench is smart. It's safe and it allows them to grow into this Nuggets culture from the beginning. I expect to see Vanderbilt play in the G-league next season and challenge for a roster spot in 2020 like Monte Morris did. If either of those two gets healthy and approaches what they're capable of, this team will be even tougher. If they hit on both, Denver is a title contender.

via GIPHY

footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Denver Broncos