The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #101
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I like the LSU coach, he seems to have a good approach to handling players.
You mean Farmer Fran?

https://youtu.be/KsRLI--ja8Y

Last edited by errand; 10-15-2018 at 05:54 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #102
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I wish fans would list guys John would hire not Jim Harbaugh types that aren't coming.
The title of the thread asked who we would like to see as HC, not who who we thought Elway would hire.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #103
BroncoSojia
Your 3x Champion

Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Of all the names, Clay Helton? Wow.......
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #104
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Vance Joseph > Mike McCarthy.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #105
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Still think Dave Toub is an interesting candidate. Would need to have a good OC and DC in place though.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:18 AM   #106
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
Of all the names, Clay Helton? Wow.......
I don't know that we should hire him, but we ought to take a good look at him. If you check him out you'll find he checks a lot of boxes that would fit here.

Realistically, we're not getting either another NFL head coach who has already had success, nor are we getting a big name college coach. There are too many impediments to make this job a consideration for those guys. Even apart from our apparently stingy budget, the ownership situation is unsettled, and the role of the GM is unclear, as is his decision making at this point. That would factor into consideration for guys like that.

This leaves two options, an NFL assistant who wants an HC job, or a college guy who looks promising but has a shorter body of work so that he's not yet seen as a hot commodity by the rest of the league. We've already seen that a top assistant turned Elway down, or at least it appears that way. Are we in the driver's seat to compete with other teams hiring assistants as a new HC? I don't think so. This leaves us either settling for a second tier assistant, or looking at the college ranks.

If we do...what should that guy look like?

I think he would need to come from the offensive side of the ball, and he would need to preferably come from a top program where the lights are bright, where he's accustomed to being around college guys with NFL talent, and he'd be a guy who has had an immediate success but still be somewhat under the radar in terms of his potential for the NFL. He'd also need to have some experience either in the NFL or around it, as a guy like Helton has with his dad having coached in the pros. He also coached under Lane Kiffin. He'd need to be an offensive mind, an innovator not a copycat. He's showing that he is, merging elements of both college and pro offenses into the USC playbook and creating a new brand of offense that people are beginning to take note of because of his approach, which also has incorporated a faster pace. He'd need to have shown to be a good judge of NFL talent. The guy most people are saying is the best rookie QB in this class...was recruited by Helton, and Darnold was not seen yet as a future top NFL pick. In fact, the USC defensive coordinator initially thought he should play linebacker. He recognized his talent early though, moving him into the starters position as a redshirt freshman.

In addition to this stuff, he's the right age, 46...not a geezer but not too young, and he's making peanuts compared to guys like Harbaugh, and Helton's first 3 seasons at USC as the permanent head coach have been better than what Harbaugh posted at Michigan and he's been better than David Shaw at Stanford during this time as well.

Last but not least...he's pretty smart. Helton got his degree in mathematics and interdisciplinary science. He probably already knew he was going into coaching, and he could have skated through with a Phys Ed degree or something, so that says something for him that he was studying physics and calculus instead of something less rigorous.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #107
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Still think Dave Toub is an interesting candidate. Would need to have a good OC and DC in place though.
What the ****...so we should hire someone else and acknowledge that he needs a good OC/DC yet we're going to sit here and act like VJ had a good OC/DC?

VJ was brought in for his eye for talent. Look at our past draft.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #108
CEH
Ring of Famer

Is this guy a beautiful mind
Canít see VJ running a practice this tight with so much knowledge

https://www.facebook.com/Rams/videos/304616806762387/
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #109
Jae
Rookie

Shanahan gave me 2 superbowls in my lifetime, and was kind of responsible for the other one (Gary Kubiak).
Some fans never get to see one. He gets a lifetime pass from me.

Yeah i said it, fight me.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote