The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 03:19 AM   #1
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer
 
Broncoblood32's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Jupiter, Fla
Posts: 1,321

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default How overrated is Bryce Harper anyway?

I hear a lot of hype about how "great" Bryce Harper. Lets look at his stats.

Last year he got a lot of hype, especially first part of the season.

He batted .243 with 24 HRs? He had over 500 ABs and played in 147 games. That is considered a full season.

He did have a great season in 2015.

That is about it. He has been in the league for 5 full seasons. He has only batted over .275 once, he has hit over 25 HRs once. He strikes out a lot. His teams have not been to a world series.

Whats the deal? Now, he may develop really nice consistency, but I do not see how he reaches such a level of hype that he gets.

What am I missing?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...arpebr03.shtml
Broncoblood32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
v2micca
This is the Water
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
and this is the well.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,161

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
I hear a lot of hype about how "great" Bryce Harper. Lets look at his stats.

Last year he got a lot of hype, especially first part of the season.
Because he started the season on a Torrid pace. He slashed 286/406/714 for the month of April. Health derailed the rest of his season and he still finished in the top 10 for Right Fielders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
He batted .243 with 24 HRs? He had over 500 ABs and played in 147 games. That is considered a full season.

He did have a great season in 2015.
People who highly value him tend to care about on-base percentage far more than batting average. I'm not going to argue the point, just noting that they care about OBP far more than BA and Harper carried a .373 OBP for the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
That is about it. He has been in the league for 5 full seasons. He has only batted over .275 once, he has hit over 25 HRs once. He strikes out a lot. His teams have not been to a world series.

Whats the deal? Now, he may develop really nice consistency, but I do not see how he reaches such a level of hype that he gets.

What am I missing?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...arpebr03.shtml

I'll agree that he has been over hyped a little. And coming up at the same time as Mike Trout hasn't helped. But, he doesn't actually strike out a lot, his current career K% is 20.4, which is below league average, he did post a 9+ fWAR season which less than 20 players have ever done in the history of the game, and he still hasn't even turned 25. (For reference, Aaron Judge who is currently playing his rookie season is 5 months older than Harper)
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
v2micca
This is the Water
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
and this is the well.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,161

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Plus, he did just rip the cover off of a ball. That has to be worth something.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/06/08/...nationals-game
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer
 
Broncoblood32's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Jupiter, Fla
Posts: 1,321

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default

Certainly looking good now. That is for sure.
Broncoblood32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Denver Broncos