The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default 20 years, 700 victims: Southern Baptist sexual abuse spreads as leaders resist reform

20 years, 700 victims: Southern Baptist sexual abuse spreads as leaders resist reform

Racing the RCC to the bottom.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 87,613
Default

Not to worry - they’re “forgiven.”

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

1 year, 781 victims...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.c08aa8ddc6eb

Quote:
In 2014 alone, there were 781 reported cases of teachers and other school employees accused or convicted of sexual relationships with students. My firm, Drive West Communications, has been tracking news reports of sexual misconduct by educators for more than a year. Every week has brought news of 15 young people, on average, who were sexually victimized by the educators entrusted with protecting them. Thatís an abhorrent rate and a trend that deserves far more attention from school leaders and policy makers.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 87,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Yup.

That's our Beav.

Whataboutism to the core. That's all he is any more.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

See Wagsy, I know this isn't how you operate, because when you have an opportunity to slap a political opponent, you take it.

But reasonable people look at a problem in a certain community and ask themselves "is this really a problem specific to this particular community, or is this community just manifesting a larger cultural problem also found elsewhere?

You'll note that others engage in the same kind of selectivism... ie, highlighting crime among illegal immigrants, without ever bothering to wonder how it compares with the wider world.

I guess next time, when you try to provide that kind of context, we'll simply have to tell you that you're deflecting on behalf of the illegal immigrant criminal community.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

With the obligatory "hey, don't just pick on Xtians, man. That's not fair!" retort.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
With the obligatory "hey, don't just pick on Xtians, man. That's not fair!" retort.
Meanwhile. you can't tolerate a thread about the wrongs done by Democrats without going back to Steve King again and again.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 AM   #9
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 87,613
Default

In the normal course of human moral development, most of us move beyond the “but Mom - Johnny did it too!” stage.

But Beaver and his fellow Trumpublicans are anything but normal.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Now beav, you know this isn't what they want to see. This is a slam religion piece. This isn't an our education system is 10x worse thread.
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
OleNumber7
Ring of Famer
 
OleNumber7's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,828

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I mean every Uber-Christian from the town I went to high school either gave off serious kid diddler vibes and/or was arrested for kid diddling at some point in the last 15 years.

I'm unsurprised.
OleNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleNumber7 View Post
I mean every Uber-Christian from the town I went to high school either gave off serious kid diddler vibes and/or was arrested for kid diddling at some point in the last 15 years.

I'm unsurprised.
Just imagine what would of happened if you applied for graduate school.
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #13
OleNumber7
Ring of Famer
 
OleNumber7's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,828

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
Just imagine what would of happened if you applied for graduate school.
Two consenting adults may have had sex? I mean most people in graduate school are in their 20's. Not sure what your point is there.
OleNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #14
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
Now beav, you know this isn't what they want to see. This is a slam religion piece. This isn't an our education system is 10x worse thread.
It's not really worse. This is just a big societal problem. And the creeps often seek out opportunities that work with kids.

I don't actually think it's new. I think we just spent decades not talking about it and covering it up.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #15
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
It's not really worse. This is just a big societal problem. And the creeps often seek out opportunities that work with kids.

I don't actually think it's new. I think we just spent decades not talking about it and covering it up.
It's not new. But they do tend to highlight one and not the other. They want you to think of your Pastor or Priest as a perv. Your teacher, not so much
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #16
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper
 
Mile High Salute's Avatar
 
LETíS GOOOOOOO!!!!!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

The difference with the churches (and a big reason why this is so prevalent IMO) is that oftentimes the abusers are in a position of trust. Parents are too lax in supervising their kids, and naively think that just because someone is in their church, that means theyíre safe. Just donít ever put your kids in a situation where abuse can occur. Period.
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #17
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
The difference with the churches (and a big reason why this is so prevalent IMO) is that oftentimes the abusers are in a position of trust. Parents are too lax in supervising their kids, and naively think that just because someone is in their church, that means theyíre safe. Just donít ever put your kids in a situation where abuse can occur. Period.
How is that any different than an educator?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
The difference with the churches (and a big reason why this is so prevalent IMO) is that oftentimes the abusers are in a position of trust. Parents are too lax in supervising their kids, and naively think that just because someone is in their church, that means theyíre safe. Just donít ever put your kids in a situation where abuse can occur. Period.
What? There's far more exposure with teachers than priests and pastors. Then there's teachers handing out grades as well. Priests and Pastors don't do any of that. I wouldn't be surprised if more tattle on Priests and Pastors than they do teachers because of this.
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #19
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper
 
Mile High Salute's Avatar
 
LETíS GOOOOOOO!!!!!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
How is that any different than an educator?
Because too many parents naively think that just because someone is in their church, it means their moral standards are impeccable and abuse cannot occur. When are kids ever left alone with teachers for hours at a time, unsupervised? Yet that exact scenario happens all the time within church groups. There is just not the same assumption of moral purity with teachers that there is with a pastor or priest.
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #20
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

When they occur obviously they are breaches of trust, need to be outed and dealt with.

The difference? In the church it’s systemic, in the education system it’s not and that’s huge.

The church actively covered up for 80 plus years and just moved abusers. The “education system” did not do that because it can’t.

See the difference?
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Because too many parents naively think that just because someone is in their church, it means their moral standards are impeccable and abuse cannot occur. When are kids ever left alone with teachers for hours at a time, unsupervised? Yet that exact scenario happens all the time within church groups. There is just not the same assumption of moral purity with teachers that there is with a pastor or priest.
Parents can certainly be idiots. But many cases involving teachers also involve parents being idiots and turning their kids completely loose on phones and social media.

Still involving predators abusing positions of societal trust. And involving many, many more children. Still hasn't seen its OM thread, though. Curious why.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
The church actively covered up for 80 plus years and just moved abusers. The ďeducation systemĒ did not do that because it canít.

See the difference?


Cool story bro.

Education systems buried this same crap for years. They'd develop suspicions, cut creeps loose, only to watch them pick up elsewhere, abusing more children. In the old ethos, scandal avoidance was job 1. And that wasn't limited to the church by any means.

I mean it's a black mark on these churches that it happened there because of the philosophy they deign to teach. But the problem itself is societal and human. The church should be better, but unfortunately often times isn't.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #23
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Parents can certainly be idiots. But many cases involving teachers also involve parents being idiots and turning their kids completely loose on phones and social media.

Still involving predators abusing positions of societal trust. And involving many, many more children. Still hasn't seen its OM thread, though. Curious why.
You make broad statements as usual to cover your positions. I will say go start an education thread I doubt anyone would disagree. I do recall posts here though questioning if the standard should be different for a high school male vs female.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #24
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post


Cool story bro.

Education systems buried this same crap for years. They'd develop suspicions, cut creeps loose, only to watch them pick up elsewhere, abusing more children. In the old ethos, scandal avoidance was job 1. And that wasn't limited to the church by any means.

I mean it's a black mark on these churches that it happened there because of the philosophy they deign to teach. But the problem itself is societal and human. The church should be better, but unfortunately often times isn't.
Your first sentence is bulk****. School systems are not wholly ďmanagedĒ by the one entity where as the Catholic church is, the Baptist church is etc. The church purposely moved abusers to hide them. School systems did not move an educator to another state to hide them.

Your local school system has nothing to do with my local school system.

The difference is so big you canít even make the comparison.

Itís ok to admit that too Beav.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #25
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

I agree with Beavis in terms of this being a society-wide problem, but heís painfully obvious in his shilling for Christian conservatives, as always.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Denver Broncos