The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #26
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Anyway, like I said in the OP, if we don't do something about climate change the rest is moot, unless science can quickly come up with some way to implant the consciousness of humans into machines which don't require food or water and couldn't care less if the atmosphere was mostly methane or CO2.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #27
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
So using an App will save your job I agree that getting one to write your resume may increase your chance of getting hired.

IMO AI is something regular office folks won't have to worry about for some time.
You are wrong, I am seeing 3 to 4 companies a month coming in to see me on automating/augmenting back-office operations. From HR (hiring, screen resumes, RPA rounite paperwork, creating training plans,) to help desk, to accounting to industrial work floor planning to supply chain management.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #28
W*GS
Eppure si scalda

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
You are wrong, I am seeing 3 to 4 companies a month coming in to see me on automating/augmenting back-office operations. From HR (hiring, screen resumes, RPA rounite paperwork, creating training plans,) to help desk, to accounting to industrial work floor planning to supply chain management.
I don't think many people appreciate just how deeply AI is becoming embedded into our various and sundry processes.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #29
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

The GOP is terrified of Harris.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #30
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Might be that we're talking past each other what is meant by AI. Like an App that gives a grower an advantage in his fields isn't really AI. It's an App. Just like a report that gives mgmt instant data at his finger tips isn't AI.

AI is a central repository of information that can be used by many. Like mechanics. You don't really need knowledgeable mechanic if you have AI. You just need someone to turn the wrench. All the diagnosis experience is in the AI.
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #31
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
I don't think many people appreciate just how deeply AI is becoming embedded into our various and sundry processes.
With AI, the decision is made by the computer. An app presents it's data to assist the user in their decision making.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #32
El Minion
Ring of Famer

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #33
gob1gred
Grinder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I watched Kamala Harris launch her presidential campaign on Maddow's show last night. I was deeply unimpressed. What disappointed me was her primary focus on a social agenda. It just strikes me, once again, that our entire country, if not the world, is engaged in a massive psychological bout of naval gazing, nit-picking and denial, fighting to the death over trivialities while ignoring issues of survival.

While social issues have importance within a certain context, at this point in time, I believe them to be so far down the priority list that when people speak of them I associate it with this denial disorder or a deliberate effort to obfuscate the real issues facing us in service to their corporate masters ("It's okay to fight over social stuff, just don't go into our economics.").

Besides, cleaning up the "real" issues will cure many of our social issues (like health care, for example).

So, I wanted to post a list of the five issues the next president must place at the top of their priority list in order for me to take them seriously. (*Obviously, the current president is a lost cause):

1. Climate Change
We are living through an extinction event. Homo sapiens are on the list as well. Nothing can be higher on the list than that.

2. Corruption
We can't do anything about #1 until we deal with #2. Currently, the agenda of the USA is determined by corporate oligarchs who purchase and own our politics. Their short term interests (profit) override our long-term national goals (or even our survival). Aggressive campaign finance reform at the Constitutional level must be enacted to remove their claws from the body politic. They determine every act our government takes, from war, to trade, to environment, to health care, to energy, to education. THIS is a real national emergency. We no longer have a government of, for and by the American people.

3. Income Inequality
History shows that no society has ever remained stable with our level of income inequality. The election of Trump, I (along with Michael Moore) believe is a direct result of this chasm of inequality and the kinds of resentments it breeds within a society. It boils down to this: Why should 90% of the people continue to support a society, or government, which continues to treat them like expendables? It will only get worse. Once again, I post the Richard Wilkinson TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson?language=en

4. Automation
Nobody really knows how many jobs we'll lose (800 million is one number), how many professions will disappear (and how soon), or what will replace them (faith in the magic of "new" technologies, etc.). If we look at the current template, we can see good jobs being replaced by jobs that can't support a family while income inequality continues to expand at a record pace. Productivity has soared while wages have been stagnant for decades. Any growth in wages in limited areas of the economy are also puny compared to the massive gains at the top of the economic scale. The current model also shows that, as long as the profits at the top keep growing, the elite don't care. Technological advancement should benefit everybody, not just elites.

5. AI
I include this because one of the most brilliant minds of the modern era, Stephen Hawking, offered this as a final warning: "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race." Of course, there are many who simply laugh this off. Why? Given the massive collections of data being gathered and made accessible by the internet, you could say the rise of AI, or a "conscious" machine, with access to that data, is a very dangerous combination. Imagine AI's as the tools of countries, directed against each other? Anyway, who should control the direction of "progress," just scientists, or all of us?

Just a few thoughts as a new presidential campaign season opens.
Good list. We need a Manhattan Project-style investment into three things:. AI, quantum computing, and Fusion.
gob1gred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 AM   #34
BroncoBuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob1gred View Post
Good list. We need a Manhattan Project-style investment into three things:. AI, quantum computing, and Fusion.

Don't forget hyper-sonic weapons ... might all go to waste if we don't get up and going with them.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 AM   #35
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Don't forget hyper-sonic weapons ... might all go to waste if we don't get up and going with them.
Don't forget the tiny cameras and microphones. Going to put a whole new meaning to fly on the wall.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #36
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
This
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #37
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
This
I still don't follow. How do end users train for having their jobs eliminated? If anything their jobs get easier since the computer will be making all the decisions for them. A program/app isn't AI.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #38
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
I still don't follow. How do end users train for having their jobs eliminated? If anything their jobs get easier since the computer will be making all the decisions for them. A program/app isn't AI.
Because if I use data sets to make decisions (aka machine learning) and they are better or on par with humans, then I am going to get rid of the humans and use the automation. I shift the work to developers and no longer need the human element making a loan decision. I am still going to make my loans but I no longer have the expense of a call center or agents to interact with humans.

We as a society need to start figuring out how we are going to manage that.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #39
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Because if I use data sets to make decisions (aka machine learning) and they are better or on par with humans, then I am going to get rid of the humans and use the automation. I shift the work to developers and no longer need the human element making a loan decision. I am still going to make my loans but I no longer have the expense of a call center or agents to interact with humans.

We as a society need to start figuring out how we are going to manage that.
Data set is just a collection of data. You can certainly design applications to retrieve data sets, apply logic to them and present it to the the end user or other application(s). Still doesn't make it AI in the sense we hear about it in the news. Or what Hawkings/Musk were talking about. Their fears are the amount of data being stored and the speed of computing power.

Don't get me wrong. I understand better than most that programmers will inherit the earth. But using technology to eliminate positions has been around since the days of keypunching. Not sure if it is still a focus in schooling, but getting a employee to give you business logic knowing that you're going to write them out of a job isn't easy.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #40
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Data set is just a collection of data. You can certainly design applications to retrieve data sets, apply logic to them and present it to the the end user or other application(s). Still doesn't make it AI in the sense we hear about it in the news. Or what Hawkings/Musk were talking about. Their fears are the amount of data being stored and the speed of computing power.

Don't get me wrong. I understand better than most that programmers will inherit the earth. But using technology to eliminate positions has been around since the days of keypunching. Not sure if it is still a focus in schooling, but getting a employee to give you business logic knowing that you're going to write them out of a job isn't easy.
There is AI in the sense of machine learning and then there is the singularity when machines exceed humans capacity exponentially. One leads to the other and the other is super scary. AI needs to be regulated. And yes...you can present the data to the "end user" to make a decision. That's what we have been doing. But now I want to go directly to the customer with a decision and take out the middle person.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #41
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
There is AI in the sense of machine learning and then there is the singularity when machines exceed humans capacity exponentially. One leads to the other and the other is super scary. AI needs to be regulated. And yes...you can present the data to the "end user" to make a decision. That's what we have been doing. But now I want to go directly to the customer with a decision and take out the middle person.
In regular programs there's no learning. The logic is static and coded. If the logic changes someone has to change the code. All the app/program is doing is processing coding instructions. In a pure AI scenario the program learns of the changes and then alters the code without human intervention.

Nothing wrong with you're trying to do. But it isn't AI. I'd call it streamline. Beware what you wish for though. The best programs still generate unexpected errors and then everything goes down. Better have a developer on hand for when those errors occur.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #42
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
In regular programs there's no learning. The logic is static and coded. If the logic changes someone has to change the code. All the app/program is doing is processing coding instructions. In a pure AI scenario the program learns of the changes and then alters the code without human intervention.

Nothing wrong with you're trying to do. But it isn't AI. I'd call it streamline. Beware what you wish for though. The best programs still generate unexpected errors and then everything goes down. Better have a developer on hand for when those errors occur.
That's why I call it machine learning and not AI. Either way the data combined with the code is making decisions to make a loan.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #43
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That's why I call it machine learning and not AI. Either way the data combined with the code is making decisions to make a loan.
There's almost always been an algorithmic/mathematical component to those decisions. The real human work has been in the verification and documentation phases for quite some time.

I don't see the specter of fraud waning any time soon, and that kind of verification is really difficult to do without person to person interaction.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #44
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Again, it's called programming. There's no learning.

Beav is right. Data Data Data. The program is only as good as the data it receives.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #45
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

The rethugs always seem to be on the wrong side of history.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #46
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
The GOP is terrified of Harris.
Female Obama scares me too, but for different reasons.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #47
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Here's mine:

1) Eradicate the Global Slave Trade - Slavery never died, it just went further underground. It currently infects virtually every government, and has roots in charity establishments and even Hollywood and media. This leviathan is the source of much of the world's problems, and should be attacked vigorously.

2) Emancipate Humanity from Debt Slavery - Our debt based economic system is the true source of income inequality, and unless we abolish the debt based economic system, there is no freedom in this world, and all we're doing is chasing one bubble after the other. The Keynes experiment failed. Time to move on to what's next like we've done so many times before.

3) Internet Bill of Rights - Free speech is under attack by social media giants and intelligence agencies who have become their puppet masters. Corporations shouldn't be able to determine what is or isn't acceptable speech in the public square. Consumers shouldn't have every manner of permission-less spying on them. We have the means to own our data through block-chains, as well as watch the watchers. An Internet bill of rights that protects individuals in the cybersphere needs to be adopted in the day and age of AI.

4) Abolish the IRS - The IRS was a necessary part of the Federal Reserve system, and with this system abolished, it's time to drain the next thing that keeps America in poverty. With people able to keep what they earn, an economic boom will be created that will reverberate through history.

5) Dismantle the CIA - The enforcement arm of the global elites must be dismantled. As my hero JFK said, splinter the C.I.A. in a thousand pieces and scatter it to the winds.

I think once these five are solved, literally anything is possible. The stars.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:38 AM   #48
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Here's mine:

1) Eradicate the Global Slave Trade - Slavery never died, it just went further underground. It currently infects virtually every government, and has roots in charity establishments and even Hollywood and media. This leviathan is the source of much of the world's problems, and should be attacked vigorously.

2) Emancipate Humanity from Debt Slavery - Our debt based economic system is the true source of income inequality, and unless we abolish the debt based economic system, there is no freedom in this world, and all we're doing is chasing one bubble after the other. The Keynes experiment failed. Time to move on to what's next like we've done so many times before.

3) Internet Bill of Rights - Free speech is under attack by social media giants and intelligence agencies who have become their puppet masters. Corporations shouldn't be able to determine what is or isn't acceptable speech in the public square. Consumers shouldn't have every manner of permission-less spying on them. We have the means to own our data through block-chains, as well as watch the watchers. An Internet bill of rights that protects individuals in the cybersphere needs to be adopted in the day and age of AI.

4) Abolish the IRS - The IRS was a necessary part of the Federal Reserve system, and with this system abolished, it's time to drain the next thing that keeps America in poverty. With people able to keep what they earn, an economic boom will be created that will reverberate through history.

5) Dismantle the CIA - The enforcement arm of the global elites must be dismantled. As my hero JFK said, splinter the C.I.A. in a thousand pieces and scatter it to the winds.

I think once these five are solved, literally anything is possible. The stars.
Do you also believe climate change is a Chinese hoax?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 AM   #49
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Do you also believe climate change is a Chinese hoax?
Hell if I know. It's not a top priority for me, and people who insist that I care about it as much as they do mostly make me laugh. They're blowing against a hurricane trying to move its course. I'm fine with that, blow away. I'm not stopping anyone.

I work in advanced tech around concepts like supercomputers, machine learning and artificial intelligence. I see computers getting built that are constantly pushing power envelopes that out-draw towns and cities. Yes, they try to be environmentally friendly and come up with clever ways of distributing heat, and power efficiently cooling their racks. But it doesn't matter. They're barely denting the power hungry machines that are going up everywhere. And nobody is going to stop them. Impossible.

Global warming isn't going to be solved by Leonardo DiCaprio and Al Gore jetting around from place to place. Carbon emission schemes aren't going to stop it. Fuishima shows us that nuclear energy is a fundamentally bad idea that will never be politically feasible en masse. Solar power, as it is, isn't cut out to scale for the needs of the future.

We're either going to die of global warming extinction, or we're going to actually solve the energy problem through meaningful innovation. There's not a political solution to this problem. Either the next Nikola Tesla gives us our breakthrough, or we die. It's out of my hands, and I sure don't want to see government get in Nikola's way.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #50
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Watched Amy Klobuchar on RM tonight. The first two issues she spoke about were climate change and corruption in government, specifically referring to Big Pharma who she has been fighting for years. My favorite candidate so far.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote