The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default The Five Issues

I watched Kamala Harris launch her presidential campaign on Maddow's show last night. I was deeply unimpressed. What disappointed me was her primary focus on a social agenda. It just strikes me, once again, that our entire country, if not the world, is engaged in a massive psychological bout of naval gazing, nit-picking and denial, fighting to the death over trivialities while ignoring issues of survival.

While social issues have importance within a certain context, at this point in time, I believe them to be so far down the priority list that when people speak of them I associate it with this denial disorder or a deliberate effort to obfuscate the real issues facing us in service to their corporate masters ("It's okay to fight over social stuff, just don't go into our economics.").

Besides, cleaning up the "real" issues will cure many of our social issues (like health care, for example).

So, I wanted to post a list of the five issues the next president must place at the top of their priority list in order for me to take them seriously. (*Obviously, the current president is a lost cause):

1. Climate Change
We are living through an extinction event. Homo sapiens are on the list as well. Nothing can be higher on the list than that.

2. Corruption
We can't do anything about #1 until we deal with #2. Currently, the agenda of the USA is determined by corporate oligarchs who purchase and own our politics. Their short term interests (profit) override our long-term national goals (or even our survival). Aggressive campaign finance reform at the Constitutional level must be enacted to remove their claws from the body politic. They determine every act our government takes, from war, to trade, to environment, to health care, to energy, to education. THIS is a real national emergency. We no longer have a government of, for and by the American people.

3. Income Inequality
History shows that no society has ever remained stable with our level of income inequality. The election of Trump, I (along with Michael Moore) believe is a direct result of this chasm of inequality and the kinds of resentments it breeds within a society. It boils down to this: Why should 90% of the people continue to support a society, or government, which continues to treat them like expendables? It will only get worse. Once again, I post the Richard Wilkinson TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson?language=en

4. Automation
Nobody really knows how many jobs we'll lose (800 million is one number), how many professions will disappear (and how soon), or what will replace them (faith in the magic of "new" technologies, etc.). If we look at the current template, we can see good jobs being replaced by jobs that can't support a family while income inequality continues to expand at a record pace. Productivity has soared while wages have been stagnant for decades. Any growth in wages in limited areas of the economy are also puny compared to the massive gains at the top of the economic scale. The current model also shows that, as long as the profits at the top keep growing, the elite don't care. Technological advancement should benefit everybody, not just elites.

5. AI
I include this because one of the most brilliant minds of the modern era, Stephen Hawking, offered this as a final warning: "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race." Of course, there are many who simply laugh this off. Why? Given the massive collections of data being gathered and made accessible by the internet, you could say the rise of AI, or a "conscious" machine, with access to that data, is a very dangerous combination. Imagine AI's as the tools of countries, directed against each other? Anyway, who should control the direction of "progress," just scientists, or all of us?

Just a few thoughts as a new presidential campaign season opens.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 01-24-2019 at 05:18 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Well said.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
W*GS
Eppure si scalda

If we don't solve #1, the others will be moot.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

The Democratic Party is a wholly owned subsidiary of the US corporate elite. The party will never support the needed action in time -- that is -- unless the people of this country press the issue.

Will the people awaken? I do not see any sign of it -- but I hope I'm wrong.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
The Democratic Party is a wholly owned subsidiary of the US corporate elite. The party will never support the needed action in time -- that is -- unless the people of this country press the issue.

"Awaken" to deep-state-moonbase-Putin-is-awesome-America-sucks reality you live in? Yeah, not much chance of many "awakening" to that...
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

George Soros warns Davos about China's program to use AI to electronically control its people:

“China isn’t the only authoritarian regime in the world, but it’s undoubtedly the wealthiest, strongest and most developed in machine learning and artificial intelligence,” Soros said, according to a transcript published on his website. “This makes Xi Jinping the most dangerous opponent of those who believe in the concept of open society.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.f577627b9288

Once China refines the program, who else will want to use it?

“Regrettably, President Trump seems to be following a different course: make concessions to China and declare victory while renewing his attacks on U.S. allies,” he added. “This is liable to undermine the U.S. policy objective of curbing China’s abuses and excesses.”

Last edited by Rohirrim; 01-26-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Old 01-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

This is not the first time an AI has managed to beat humans in any game. Google’s DeepMind lab also made a tentative step towards general AI with AlphaGo Zero. As reported earlier by Analytics India Magazine, it started from random play, and was given no domain knowledge except the game rules. Even then, AlphaZero achieved a superhuman level of play in the games of chess, shogi and Go within 24 hours. It also convincingly defeated a world-champion program in each case.
https://www.analyticsindiamag.com/ai...ers-in-a-game/

"Great work by @OpenAI. Need the neural interface soon to enable human/AI symbiosis." Elon Musk
Old 01-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post

Party of Putin?
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
Mecklomaniac
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Dolbin

Burn it all down: a guide to neo-luddsim
Mecklomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
W*GS
Eppure si scalda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecklomaniac View Post
No. We need to get lots more science and lots more tech to get us out of the cluster**** we've put ourselves.

And fast.

Otherwise, we'll end up as hunter-gatherers again. No ****.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Don’t forget health care.

Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico for Health Care — the Human Caravan You Haven’t Heard About

https://truthout.org/articles/millio...r-health-care/
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
George Soros warns Davos about China's program to use AI to electronically control its people:

“China isn’t the only authoritarian regime in the world, but it’s undoubtedly the wealthiest, strongest and most developed in machine learning and artificial intelligence,” Soros said, according to a transcript published on his website. “This makes Xi Jinping the most dangerous opponent of those who believe in the concept of open society.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.f577627b9288

Once China refines the program, who else will want to use it?

“Regrettably, President Trump seems to be following a different course: make concessions to China and declare victory while renewing his attacks on U.S. allies,” he added. “This is liable to undermine the U.S. policy objective of curbing China’s abuses and excesses.”
Another good AI read here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/t...mic-forum.html

Kai-Fu Lee, the author of “AI Superpowers” and a longtime technology executive, predicts that artificial intelligence will eliminate 40 percent of the world’s jobs within 15 years. In an interview, he said that chief executives were under enormous pressure from shareholders and boards to maximize short-term profits, and that the rapid shift toward automation was the inevitable result.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

“The choice isn’t between automation and non-automation,” said Erik Brynjolfsson, the director of M.I.T.’s Initiative on the Digital Economy. “It’s between whether you use the technology in a way that creates shared prosperity, or more concentration of wealth.”

As if there's any doubt which way it will go.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

This excerpt from the article above is somewhat chilling:

Even then, AlphaZero achieved a superhuman level of play in the games of chess, shogi and Go within 24 hours. It also convincingly defeated a world-champion program in each case.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

If people are not ready for augmented intelligence (AI lite) in the next 3 to 5 years in your job, you are in trouble. This is the next productive booster for the economy. China is full in on this, we are worried about building wall.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #16
Fear the Hawk
Ring of Famer

Proud member of the Deep State.

1) Healthcare (universal)
2) Global warming
3) A living minimum wage
4) National debt
5) Infrastructure
Fear the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
If people are not ready for augmented intelligence (AI lite) in the next 3 to 5 years in your job, you are in trouble. This is the next productive booster for the economy. China is full in on this, we are worried about building wall.
Not ready? You mean not ready to have their job eliminated? Or, I should say, the need for them to do that job eliminated?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
3. Income Inequality
History shows that no society has ever remained stable with our level of income inequality. The election of Trump, I (along with Michael Moore) believe is a direct result of this chasm of inequality and the kinds of resentments it breeds within a society. It boils down to this: Why should 90% of the people continue to support a society, or government, which continues to treat them like expendables? It will only get worse. Once again, I post the Richard Wilkinson TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson?language=en
I finally got around to watching that TED talk. Eye opening stuff.

...if Americans want to live the American dream, they should go to Denmark.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I see the gross overestimation of current AI still continues apace.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I see the gross overestimation of current AI still continues apace.
Yeah, it's hard to find code that utilizes all of my processor's cores.
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Not ready? You mean not ready to have their job eliminated? Or, I should say, the need for them to do that job eliminated?
Both. To be successful you will need to continue learn and expended your digital skills.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #22
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Both. To be successful you will need to continue learn and expended your digital skills.
What is an example of AI lite?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
What is an example of AI lite?
Stuff like this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/artific...ming-industry/

https://www.askspoke.com/blog/automa...ing-workplace/

Where human and AI tools will work together to produce items or planning. It will mean less humans but the same or more productively.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

There's an excellent discussion of where science might be headed next within this book, and much of it is not very pretty.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #25
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Stuff like this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/artific...ming-industry/

https://www.askspoke.com/blog/automa...ing-workplace/

Where human and AI tools will work together to produce items or planning. It will mean less humans but the same or more productively.
So using an App will save your job I agree that getting one to write your resume may increase your chance of getting hired.

IMO AI is something regular office folks won't have to worry about for some time.