The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #126
Bronx33
Dont Dox Me Bro!
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Camaraderie-ship for all

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 53,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juicy Jewel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I answered your question, and I definitely didn't lose the "debate" if that's what you want to call it.

I am done with you just so you know.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #127
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Cars sit idle 90% of the day. When they nail autonomous driving those cars can be hired out to ferry people elsewhere, get your groceries etc.

We actually have more cars than we need right now.
Long term, there's some gain here. But in reality we won't have even majority adoption of truly autonomous driving by 2030, let alone an entire economy transformed by it.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #128
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alexand...pt-2019-01-06/



Such a child. How she gets this kind of air time? I don't know. Does speak to how broken our media truly is.
Yes I saw that clip. He said zero emissions. And she said that's the goal. To which I say, no ****, that's the goal. At not point did she say it's actually going to happen Beavis. You post the exchange, and it doesn't even support your point. All she's talking about is trying to switch us over to renewables, which is basically a necessity if human civilization is going to continue. And you throw a fit over the idea because you are, in fact, the child in this scenario. The thought of being put out in any way for the sake of the planet causes you to throw tantrums like all right wing dip****s.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #129
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
I am done with you just so you know.
Okay Trumpkin, champion for truth and non-tyrants.

Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #130
Bronx33
Dont Dox Me Bro!
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Camaraderie-ship for all

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 53,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juicy Jewel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Okay Trumpkin, champion for truth and non-tyrants.

You get pissy when you lose huh OK now I am done.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #131
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
You get pissy when you lose huh OK now I am done.
It's almost sad that you think you won. It's also kind of funny.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #132
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Ag's faith requires him to tell himself that coherent efforts at change begin with the government setting "goals" that physics and logic tell us are inherently impossible.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #133
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Ag's faith requires him to tell himself that coherent efforts at change begin with the government setting "goals" that physics and logic tell us are inherently impossible.
It now goes against physics and logic to do whatever is necessary to save human civilization? You're special Beavis...
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #134
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Anyone read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Iím reading it now. The WRP is descent into madness.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #135
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
When did I say anything about morality? We either start taking extreme measures to fix the climate or human civilization is toast. Does it have to conform to Ocasio-Cortez's ideas? No, but it's going to need to be extreme to work, because we are quickly approaching the point of no return. That's the world as it is, and you people who believe in a magic man in the sky are the ones living in denial.
IMNSHO, we have 8-10 years at the outside to really get our act together on reducing emissions. Then, we have to figure out a way to reduce the CO2 in the atmosphere - our net emissions have to go negative.

If we're not serious about emissions reductions and negation, then we better prepare for geoengineering via injected aerosols to buy us some time.

Yeah, it's that ****ing serious.

And the holdup isn't economics. Or science. Or the technology.

It's 100% political. We, and I mean humans, can get ourselves out of the mess we've put ourselves in if we force our politicians to do it and provide the funding needed to get it done.

I'd prefer a revenue-neutral carbon tax, but the window for that is shrinking.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #136
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Anyone read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Iím reading it now. The WRP is descent into madness.
I read it years ago in my mid-20s, IIRC.

I didn't get it. I may, now. Somewhere around the house there's a copy, I'm sure.

Otherwise, it's all over in used bookstores 'round these parts.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #137
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Long term, there's some gain here. But in reality we won't have even majority adoption of truly autonomous driving by 2030, let alone an entire economy transformed by it.
Nope not by 30, but 40 maybe and far more likely on the coasts.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #138
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Self-driving vehicles are a joke for so many reasons.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #139
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Self-driving vehicles are a joke for so many reasons.
Curious as to your reasons.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #140
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,763
Default

Strike up the music, the band has begun.
The Beevur Deflection Polka!
Pick out a topic, in circles heíll run.
The Beevur Deflection Polka!
It started on the OMane, and he thinks itís fun.
But it wonít entertain ya!
Heís a Hall of Famer liiiiike Tom Seaver!
The OManeís deflectiní olí Beevur!
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #141
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Strike up the music, the band has begun.
The Beevur Deflection Polka!
Pick out a topic, in circles heíll run.
The Beevur Deflection Polka!
It started on the OMane, and he thinks itís fun.
But it wonít entertain ya!
Heís a Hall of Famer liiiiike Tom Seaver!
The OManeís deflectiní olí Beevur!
That's why I put him on iggy. That's all he ever ****ing does.

The whataboutism is so Soviet!
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #142
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Curious as to your reasons.
The biggest reason is hackers. Beyond that, what happens when that computer glitches out or outright crashes when you're on the highway? Oh and don't get me started on how unreliable gps is. While they might well be safer overall than what we have now, companies will not be able to handle the liability involved in producing such vehicles. Heavily automated driving modes will be a thing, but fully automated, self-driving vehicles aren't happening any time soon.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #143
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Oh yeah, I also forgot the morality dilemma. What if a person's car ends up in a situation where it has to decide to run over a kid or drive off a cliff? What will it do? Should it and can it make that decision? What's the programming for that? Yeah, it's a mess...
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #144
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The biggest reason is hackers. Beyond that, what happens when that computer glitches out or outright crashes when you're on the highway? Oh and don't get me started on how unreliable gps is. While they might well be safer overall than what we have now, companies will not be able to handle the liability involved in producing such vehicles. Heavily automated driving modes will be a thing, but fully automated, self-driving vehicles aren't happening any time soon.
Thatís why laws to outlaw people driving will work.

How many people die because of drunk drivers and human error, not to mention poor driving in general?

You might trade those numbers with computers, initially.

But computers will get better over time. Humans never will.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #145
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The biggest reason is hackers. Beyond that, what happens when that computer glitches out or outright crashes when you're on the highway? Oh and don't get me started on how unreliable gps is. While they might well be safer overall than what we have now, companies will not be able to handle the liability involved in producing such vehicles. Heavily automated driving modes will be a thing, but fully automated, self-driving vehicles aren't happening any time soon.
The s/w and h/w reliability are big issues, very true. We are getting very much better at both very quickly.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #146
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Oh yeah, I also forgot the morality dilemma. What if a person's car ends up in a situation where it has to decide to run over a kid or drive off a cliff? What will it do? Should it and can it make that decision? What's the programming for that? Yeah, it's a mess...
AI folks are actually running lots of testing on humans presenting just those scenarios to see what humans think.

Purely utilitarian algorithms are not how humans think, so the s/w won't either.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #147
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Thatís why laws to outlaw people driving will work.

How many people die because of drunk drivers and human error, not to mention poor driving in general?

You might trade those numbers with computers, initially.

But computers will get better over time. Humans never will.
I think we're very near to autonomous AVs being about as safe as the average driver.

And getting better, daily.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #148
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
I think we're very near to autonomous AVs being about as safe as the average driver.

And getting better, daily.
Because autonomous vehicles donít get pissed when their team loses and need to go home and beat their wife, and unlike conservatives, they also can learn from mistakes.

Problem is the low info auto-humper class will want to sue after the first accident because of freedumz.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #149
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Because autonomous vehicles donít get pissed when their team loses and need to go home and beat their wife, and unlike conservatives, they also can learn from mistakes.

Problem is the low info auto-humper class will want to sue after the first accident because of freedumz.
I have a dashcam in my car. Ought to get one front-back for our minivan, too.

Teaching my daughter to drive made me realize just how ****ty most drivers are. We did lots of driving other than my usual routes and the ****ing phone users are worse than drunks. I've caught a few dumbass incidents on my cam.

I keep 'em on the cloud for posterity.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #150
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The biggest reason is hackers. Beyond that, what happens when that computer glitches out or outright crashes when you're on the highway? Oh and don't get me started on how unreliable gps is. While they might well be safer overall than what we have now, companies will not be able to handle the liability involved in producing such vehicles. Heavily automated driving modes will be a thing, but fully automated, self-driving vehicles aren't happening any time soon.
Dude the whole thing is in its infancy. Think about it, we put people on the moon with that technology in the 60s.

Everything you are concerned about will be addressed.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Denver Broncos