The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #51
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Due west

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,049

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I've asked these guys time and time again what modern advanced democracy they can point to whose immigration policy they'd be comfortable with being applied here.

Have still never heard a coherent answer.
Canada's or Austrailia's would be a start. Trump also likes their system... So maybe that is a terrible idea.

The fact of the matter is that the US needs a new system that is tailored for our unique and particular needs. I would totally support a system that allows for easier access into the country on a temporary basis for work, but that requires tracking/checking in with immigration posts. See if you could develop a taxation system on migrant workers that could pay for the services of having a better and quicker system. Allow them to stay up to 6 years at a time.

For those looking for permanent residency on the basis of fear or inability to make it in their home countries, it gets a little more complex. Balancing what is morally right with what our country can handle is the biggest problem. Developing immigrant camps within the US where those who make it can be offered menial work for housing and food would be ideal. However, the crux is still getting their case in front of an immigration judge and allowing their story to be heard and determined. This system is currently severely overburdened. For those who would not qualify for standard asylum or meet allowances for residency exceptions, can we offer temporary accommodation in the US where they will be required to return home when their country is more stable or after a period of time?

Yes, that is simplistic and not fully fleshed out, but there is the start of an answer for you. I don't know that there are any good answers, but I do think a system that has more resources and can track those coming to and being allowed to enter is the best start.

I never saw your question before.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #52
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Canada's or Austrailia's would be a start. Trump also likes their system... So maybe that is a terrible idea.

The fact of the matter is that the US needs a new system that is tailored for our unique and particular needs. I would totally support a system that allows for easier access into the country on a temporary basis for work, but that requires tracking/checking in with immigration posts. See if you could develop a taxation system on migrant workers that could pay for the services of having a better and quicker system. Allow them to stay up to 6 years at a time.

For those looking for permanent residency on the basis of fear or inability to make it in their home countries, it gets a little more complex. Balancing what is morally right with what our country can handle is the biggest problem. Developing immigrant camps within the US where those who make it can be offered menial work for housing and food would be ideal. However, the crux is still getting their case in front of an immigration judge and allowing their story to be heard and determined. This system is currently severely overburdened. For those who would not qualify for standard asylum or meet allowances for residency exceptions, can we offer temporary accommodation in the US where they will be required to return home when their country is more stable or after a period of time?

Yes, that is simplistic and not fully fleshed out, but there is the start of an answer for you. I don't know that there are any good answers, but I do think a system that has more resources and can track those coming to and being allowed to enter is the best start.

I never saw your question before.
I think we'd agree on most things as far as that goes.

Problem is the drooling idiocy of our political environment leaves us where any kind of realistic accommodation of immigration needs is heresy on the right. Meanwhile, proposing common sense restrictions roughly in line with any modern, free country in the world makes you a racist Nazi on the left.

The current friction is the left is much more comfortable with the status quo than the right. So the Party of Change mostly sits on its hands.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #53
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 53,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
OL at all the worry about Cortez. Four living presidents have now come out and called Trump a liar about they’re supposed support of a wall.

Bigger threat to the country, lying President or freshman Senator? Low IQ rubes go for the Senator and create threads about it.
Which president? A wall maybe. But better border security.... I'll bet you money without looking each one of them said it was an issue. I don't think building a wall, a steel wall, is a good use of our resources. The house Democrats could get DACA into law if they played their cards right.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #54
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Which president? A wall maybe. But better border security.... I'll bet you money without looking each one of them said it was an issue. I don't think building a wall, a steel wall, is a good use of our resources. The house Democrats could get DACA into law if they played their cards right.
You’re changing what Trump said and what my post was about. Next.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #55
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 19,445
Default

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst), Ocasio-Cortez is a 2.

What you should REALLY be concerned about is the rest of Congress (Dems and Repukes) who last summer passed a $Trillion dollar Pentagon budget (it's a trillion when you include the CIA, NSA, other intelligence (sic) agencies, and the Vets).

The US Pentagon budget is the fast lane to human extinction. For many reasons. No ifs, ands or buts.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #56
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 87,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSpicoli
people are scared of a politician that wants to print money to pay for social programs and they should be.

That type of retardation cannot be allowed. Most Americans don't want this country destroyed.

I know most of you marxists and bolsheviks want the country destroyed thou
ShaneSpicoli in twenty years...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #57
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

https://www.newsweek.com/alexandria-...tcheck-1282971

Quote:
Ocasio-Cortez continued to go after the fact-checking site that has won a Pulitzer Prize.

“Another question for @politifact: some officials’ statements (ex. Andrew Cuomo) get rated ‘true’ frequently. I say true things all the time - I’d hope most do,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.
"I say true things all the time."

That line might be Trumpier than Trump.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #58
Bronx33
Dont Dox Me Bro!
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Camaraderie-ship for all

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 53,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juicy Jewel
Default

I heard somebody call her the tyfoid Mary of bad ideas
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #59
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

It’s kind of amazing watching people lose their **** over a freshman congresswoman from New York City. It’s also kind of amazing that so many people don’t seem to understand what “top marginal tax rate” means.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #60
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It’s kind of amazing watching people lose their **** over a freshman congresswoman from New York City. It’s also kind of amazing that so many people don’t seem to understand what “top marginal tax rate” means.
I feel bad for her on one level because it's clear she's way overexposed against her position. But that's mostly thanks to her party and national media, alongside her unwillingness to accept her relative insignificance as she chose to embrace the spotlight and grab the microphone instead.

The good part is the constant drumbeat of defending her reckless relationship with the truth exposes her supporters for what they are, in spite of their demands for political honestly from others.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #61
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I feel bad for her on one level because it's clear she's way overexposed against her position. But that's mostly thanks to her party and national media, alongside her unwillingness to accept her relative insignificance as she chose to embrace the spotlight and grab the microphone instead.

The good part is the constant drumbeat of defending her reckless relationship with the truth exposes her supporters for what they are, in spite of their demands for political honestly from others.
Do you at least know what “top marginal tax rate” means Beavis?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #62
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

I wonder how many people laughed at Musk when he decided to change the world wth Space x and Tesla. Now he’s considered a ****ing genius.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #63
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Do you at least know what “top marginal tax rate” means Beavis?
Yeah, but a lot of people don't think it through.

Regardless, no dollar earned should belong more to the government than to you. 50% should be the absolute ceiling.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #64
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I wonder how many people laughed at Musk when he decided to change the world wth Space x and Tesla. Now he’s considered a ****ing genius.
This may be the single most comical comparison I've ever seen on the Mane. And that's really saying something.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #65
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
I heard somebody call her the tyfoid Mary of bad ideas
Too bad you can't spell.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #66
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
This may be the single most comical comparison I've ever seen on the Mane. And that's really saying something.
I’m not comparing her to Musk you dense human. I’m showing what happens to people with ideas that fall outside the norm. Her ideas are possible. Maybe not in their absolute form but the first thing that happens is that people start screaming heresy and impossible. Same thing happened to Musk. He’s kicking ass, not saying she will or won’t (in the long run I think she will) but geez you all have your knickers in a twist about her.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #67
El Minion
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Too bad you can't spell.
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #68
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yeah, but a lot of people don't think it through.

Regardless, no dollar earned should belong more to the government than to you. 50% should be the absolute ceiling.
Why is that? Historically the country has been better of economically when it has been 70% or higher.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #69
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Her ideas are possible.
False.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alexand...pt-2019-01-06/

Quote:
Anderson Cooper: You're talking about zero carbon emissions— no use of fossil fuels within 12 years.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: That is the goal. It's ambitious. And...

Anderson Cooper: How is that possible? Are you talking about everybody having to drive an electric car?

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: It's going to require a lot of rapid change that we don't even conceive as possible right now. What is the problem with trying to push our technological capacities to the furthest extent possible?
She comes at complex problems with the perspective of a small, sheltered child.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #70
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Why is that? Historically the country has been better of economically when has been 70% or higher.
Very few people qualified for those upper, upper brackets. Fiscally, they were irrelevant.

Trying to correlate "State of the Nation" type stuff against that is the terrible abuse of correlation/causation. You may as well say we should bring back the Edsel to solve all our problems, because it was there too.

And probably had more economic impact.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #71
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
False.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alexand...pt-2019-01-06/



She comes at complex problems with the perspective of a small, sheltered child.
What exactly is she saying there that’s coming from “the perspective of a small, sheltered child”? I mean she’s trying to battle an existential threat to human civilization. Living in denial of that threat is far more child-like.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #72
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Very few people qualified for those upper, upper brackets. Fiscally, they were irrelevant.

Trying to correlate "State of the Nation" type stuff against that is the terrible abuse of correlation/causation. You may as well say we should bring back the Edsel to solve all our problems, because it was there too.

And probably had more economic impact.
That’s just nonsense Beavis.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #73
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
False.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alexand...pt-2019-01-06/



She comes at complex problems with the perspective of a small, sheltered child.
This is the same small minded take the auto industry took when they said he couldn’t launch a car never mind an electric one.

Honestly Ag is right you are coming at it from the perspective of a small sheltered child.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #74
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,493

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What exactly is she saying there that’s coming from “the perspective of a small, sheltered child”? I mean she’s trying to battle an existential threat to human civilization. Living in denial of that threat is far more child-like.
Show me the path to replacing virtually every vehicle on the planet in a decade and maintaining that fleet of vehicles without carbon emissions. Flesh that out for me.

It's widely understood that half or more of your average vehicle's carbon footprint is in its simple manufacture. And that, for that reason, replacing well-functioning ICE cars prematurely in the name of greenhouse emissions actually does more harm than good.

We simply don't have the industrial capacity, even if it were productive, to do something like replace every vehicle over a decade. And if we did, the gear-up for that undertaking would itself wreak all sorts of environmental havoc.

And then there are all the other countless uses of fossil fuels everywhere. Anyone who truly thinks humanity will be "zero emission" in any of our lifetimes is as uneducated as they come.

Absolutely clueless. Palinesque, even. Putting it charitably.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #75
kappys
Ring of Famer
 
kappys's Avatar
 
“It will be of little avail to the

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,576
Default

I can only assume that all this Ocasio Cortez hype is because with Clinton out of the spotlight the right needs a new boogie-woman to raise fear. I assumed it would be Pelosi but that would mean talking about Trump's shutdown and failures so now they've latched onto the junior congresswoman from an ultra liberal district and will do everything they can to paint her as a mainstream democrat. They'll probably succeed too given how bad the democrats are dealing with this tactic.
kappys is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Denver Broncos