The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #176
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
You really don't think a man came before Newton and wondered the same things?
Is falling down because of gravity or your god?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #177
STBumpkin
burnin' it at both ends
 
STBumpkin's Avatar
 
Livin' The Dream

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 830

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
You really don't think a man came before Newton and wondered the same things?
So gravity didn't exist before Newton gave it a name?

The best thing about our scientific understanding of our world is that it could all be burned to nothing and we can be gone. When whatever evolves into intelligence after us, they will discover the same things because the laws that govern how our universe works won't change. That same intelligence will come up with some other religious drivel, but it won't be the same as yours.
STBumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #178
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBumpkin View Post
So gravity didn't exist before Newton gave it a name?

The best thing about our scientific understanding of our world is that it could all be burned to nothing and we can be gone. When whatever evolves into intelligence after us, they will discover the same things because the laws that govern how our universe works won't change. That same intelligence will come up with some other religious drivel, but it won't be the same as yours.
How do you know gravity exist throughout the universe? How do you know there's not different versions of it? How do you know it acts the same in all occurrences?

Your science has taken earthly observations and have projected them into the farthest depths of space. I doubt we'll see many species that come after us do that.

Last edited by OmegaBronco13; 02-12-2019 at 02:10 PM..
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #179
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 19,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBumpkin View Post
So gravity didn't exist before Newton gave it a name?

The best thing about our scientific understanding of our world is that it could all be burned to nothing and we can be gone. When whatever evolves into intelligence after us, they will discover the same things because the laws that govern how our universe works won't change. That same intelligence will come up with some other religious drivel, but it won't be the same as yours.
True, but the rate and intensity of natural processes do change - -and greatly.

This was Charles Lyell's mistake in his Principles of Geology. He assumed that the rate of natural processes is unchanging over time. Not so.

Unfortunately, Lyell's erroneous assumption influenced Darwin and caused him to reject catastrophism. This error has continued into our modern era -

Lyell never explained the gap in the stratigraphic record between the Cretaceous and Tertiary periods - -the so called K-T boundary.

The missing strata never turned up. Now we know the catastrophists were right all along. The K-T gap points to an extinction level event -- the impact of a large asteroid 65 million years ago that took out the dinosaurs.

Gradualism and catastrophism are not mutually exclusive -- nor do they conflict. They are both real.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #180
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post
How do you know gravity exist throughout the universe? How do you know there's not different versions of it? How do you know it acts the same in all occurrences?

Your science has taken earthly observations and have projected them into the farthest depths of space. I doubt we'll see many species that come after us do that.
Until we discover evidence otherwise, gravity acts the same everywhere.

Do you have evidence that it does not?

You're wandering all the place in your argument(s).
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #181
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

What's Venus?

Answer, der traitor gaffo-troll.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #182
OmegaBronco13
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Until we discover evidence otherwise, gravity acts the same everywhere.

Do you have evidence that it does not?

You're wandering all the place in your argument(s).
That's because it has turned into numerous conversations. But I do think I have remained consistent in the fact that this particular branch of science is no different than religion. And that more evidence exists to support religion. Whether you choose to believe it is up to the individual.

But if scientist can discredit the evidence of religion, I don't think they should get to assume gravity acts the same in all conditions and base the foundation of everything on it.
OmegaBronco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #183
W*GS
Eppure si scalda
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,481
Default

What difference does it make to any religion what gets discovered by science?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Denver Broncos