The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #76
69bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
There is no having a conversation with footsteps. You either fall in line with his bigoted worldview or he calls you a racist.
That’s pretty much how everyone here is
69bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #77
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
it is in their mind

"Condemnation of racism" = "hates white people" according to these disingenuous weasels.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #78
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

A GOP strategist abandons his party and calls for the election of Democrats

For three decades, Steve Schmidt has played at the highest levels of Republican politics, as a top strategist in presidential campaigns and as an adviser to other GOP candidates. He has also been one of the most vociferous critics of President Trump. On Wednesday, he made that opposition even more emphatic, renouncing his party affiliation and urging Americans to vote for Democrats in the November elections.

“Trump’s election did not spell doom for the Republican Party,” Schmidt said by telephone Wednesday while traveling. “The reality is that our Founders always predicted that one day there would be a president like Trump, and that’s why they designed the system of government the way they designed it. What they never imagined is the utter abdication of a co-equal branch of government, which we’re seeing now. . . . The definition of conservatism now is the requirement of complete and utter obedience to the leader.”

Schmidt sees it differently. He sees an abdication by the congressional wing of the Republican Party to remain independent of the president when necessary. “There’s a crisis of cowardice in the Republican Party that is profoundly un-American and, in my reading, unprecedented,” he said. “No one is prepared to lay down their political career to do what’s right to oppose the corruption, the assault on institutions, the nonstop lying, the assault on objective truth.”

And it was partly the opposition from Republicans that forced Trump to back down on his child-separation policy, a policy that had brought an overnight, heartfelt tweet from Spencer Cox, the lieutenant governor of Utah. “Can’t sleep tonight,” he wrote, “I know I shouldn’t tweet. But I’m angry. And sad. I hate what we’ve become. My wife wants to go & hold babies & read to lonely/scared/sad kids. I want to punch someone. Political tribalism is stupid. It sucks & it’s dangerous. We are all part of the problem.”

He believes the party is populated by servile politicians unwilling to buck Trump’s loyal following. He called the party “utterly corrupted,” a force for “incendiary politics and crackpottery and a real threat to small ‘L’ liberalism in the U.S.-led liberal global order.”

Schmidt’s decision to abandon his party and call for Democratic victories in November might not sway many in the GOP. He was already seen as outside the party family. And as he freely admits, his views of the president are well known and oft-stated at a volume not easily missed. With all that, he offered perspective on what led him to Wednesday’s tweet.

“Politics always fascinated me,” he said. “In my 20s, I was involved in politics and, as I look in the mirror, not for the noblest of purposes. It was for sport. In my 30s, I believed my candidates were better, but there was a lot of ambition involved. Today, I look at it as a way to make fundamental choices for the country, and I’m extremely worried. There is poison coursing through it. . . . I’m going to continue to speak out as best as I’m able.”

complete article

Last edited by Guess Who; 06-21-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #79
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
A GOP strategist abandons his party and calls for the election of Democrats

complete article
Oh wow. Thanks for posting. This is important stuff, although most won't really know or understand why. I knew Steve Schmidt in college. He lived in the same dorm my sophomore year. He was a hard core young Republican. He loved Ronald Reagan, and loved to talk about him and politics all the time. He talks here about the cowardice in the party, but it's not just the politicians. You can see it right here in the WRP: Right leaning people supporting Trump. There's just very little reason to be supporting him, and lots of reasons to condemning him. Kudos to Schmidt, and politicians like Spencer Cox, for having eyes wide open and for having the courage to speak up.

Trump is not only all about "corruption, the assault on institutions, the nonstop lying, the assault on objective truth" as Schmidt mentions. He's all about the politics of resentment. It's resentment that got him elected. And it's a huge problem for this country now and moving forward.

Quote:
We’ve looked on with smug disdain as our labors have brought forth a population prone to resentment and ripe for manipulation. We should be prepared to embrace the consequences.

The first important thing to know about these consequences is the most obvious: Resentment is a solution to nothing. It isn’t a program of reform. It isn’t “populism.” It is an affliction of democracy, not an instance of it. The politics of resentment is a means of increasing inequality, not reducing it. Every policy change that has waded out of the Trump administration’s baffling morass of incompetence makes this clear. The new tax law; the executive actions on the environment and telecommunications, and on financial-services regulation; the judicial appointments of conservative ideologues—all will have the effect of keeping the 90 percent toiling in the foothills of merit for many years to come.

The second thing to know is that we are next in line for the chopping block. As the population of the resentful expands, the circle of joy near the top gets smaller. The people riding popular rage to glory eventually realize that we are less useful to them as servants of the economic machine than we are as model enemies of the people. The anti-blue-state provisions of the recent tax law have miffed some members of the 9.9 percent, but they’re just a taste of the bad things that happen to people like us as the politics of resentment unfolds.

The past year provides ample confirmation of the third and most important consequence of the process: instability. Unreasonable people also tend to be ungovernable. I won’t belabor the point. Just try doing a frequency search on the phrase constitutional crisis over the past five years. That’s the thing about the Gatsby Curve. You think it’s locking all of your gains in place. But the crystallization process actually has the effect of making the whole system more brittle. If you look again at history, you can get a sense of how the process usually ends.
The 9.9 Percent Is the New American Aristocracy

Last edited by TonyR; 06-21-2018 at 05:25 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #80
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Another outtake from the article Guess Who posted, related to what I just posted above:

Quote:
Schmidt was one of those who suggested McCain look to Palin as a possible choice, based on his and others’ belief that McCain needed a dramatic selection to shake up the race and avoid certain defeat to Barack Obama. He wishes now that the choice had been different.

“My role in Palin is something that there’s not a day that has gone by that I don’t have regret about,” he said. “She was manifestly unfit” — which he said became more and more obvious after she was selected — “and she injected all manner of toxin into the political system. But she is not the cause of any of this.”

He charts the roots of the rise of Trump to later, after Palin resigned as governor and became — despite the harsh reviews of her candidacy for vice president — a prominent voice in the shifting politics of anger and disaffection. Trump, he said, profited from those changes. He decries the decision to welcome Trump into the 2012 Republican campaign despite his having pushed the false narrative that Obama was not born in the United States as a means to endear himself to a most extreme wing of the GOP. “Trump was legitimized by birtherism, and he was abetted by a billion-dollar incitement industry,” he said.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #81
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Another outtake from the article Guess Who posted, related to what I just posted above:
I agree Palin was a horrible choice but McCain wanted to get Liebermann as VP. That would have been an equally horrible choice. Two warhawks with no personality.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #82
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bronco View Post
That’s pretty much how everyone here is
Most people just call you stupid actually.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #83
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
There is no having a conversation with footsteps. You either fall in line with his bigoted worldview or he calls you a racist.
The people who want to have these "conversations" with me support the guy who idolizes Adolph ****ing Hitler you numbskull. They defend cops who murder unarmed black people at random, support taking food and medical care from the mouths of children, and even back caging children of people coming to the border to seek asylum, not to mention defending a white nationalist regime that is racist to the core.

Yes...I call that **** racism. If you don't, then you're blind as hell, simple as that. I don't really care if this offends you or not. It's time white people woke up and realized that the world is the way it is because the people in power (us) who had responsibility for building this society made it this way. That's how it goes...you have the power, you get the blame for what goes wrong, especially when you just spent 90% of your history trying to **** people over that aren't white. Somehow this simple point seems to elude many of you. You act like this country has some kind of long history of fairness and justice, which it doesn't. Within my lifetime, it was illegal for blacks and whites to marry, for blacks to drink out of the same water fountain, for them to attend school with whites or in many cases even ride in the same car. That's RECENT HISTORY.

Now we have a piece of **** in the WH that the majority of people in this country who look like me voted for and he'd like to take us back to all that again...so **** yeah I'm gonna call that **** what it is...racism...white supremacy...etc.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #84
Rohirrim
Partisan

"Push forward."

George Will: Vote out the president's Republican "poodles."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.6b3203fa84d7
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote