The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #76
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Have they said exactly how big the world will be? It sounds enormous from the way they're talking about it.

I havent heard but I havent looked for details, either. Maybe after E3 when everything has been shown and they can dig into it.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:09 AM   #77
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Metroid is one of the oldest and greatest female-lead video games ever.

There's unfortunately a lot of guys like Shane Falco who complain about anything being different than they want and throwing tantrums about it. And all of it is stupid stuff that is pretend and has no bearing on real life.
The Battlefield V complaints are legitimate in my opinion. What is the point of basing games on historical events if you have no interest in actually staying true to them? With the new Gears game it’s just silly though. That series has had playable females for quite some time and it’s all fantasy anyway.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #78
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Have they said exactly how big the world will be? It sounds enormous from the way they're talking about it.
They have said it’ll be much bigger than W3. It’s not clear if it’s going to be divided up into zones like W3 or just be one big map. Vehicles are reportedly going to be drivable so it seems fairly likely that it’s going to play a lot like a GTA game but with the RPG depth of W3.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 06-12-2018 at 02:32 AM..
Old 06-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #79
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The Battlefield V complaints are legitimate in my opinion. What is the point of basing games on historical events if you have no interest in actually staying true to them? With the new Gears game it’s just silly though. That series has had playable females for quite some time and it’s all fantasy anyway.

If the women are hitting the beaches of Normandy wearing allied uniforms yeah the complaints would be. Having a woman as part of a resistance group is historically accurate. And it sounds like BF V is stitching together snippets of stories all around Europe rather than focusing on one thing, like the D-Day invasion or Battle of the Bulge.

Being upset that a trailer showed a very stylized Battle Royal mode that included women is not a valid complaint. We do not know enough about the game to say one way or another. All we know is BF V has varied campaign maps, and no loot crates or pay to win cheats. And that it takes place during WW2.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #80
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I wouldn't be a fan of having significant numbers of women storming the beaches accompanying the player, for the reasons you state. But if it's only a matter of allowing a player to choose a female character to represent them, I think it's less of an issue. I don't think women should be so shut out of the experience that they can't themselves even be represented by a woman on screen, if they so choose.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #81
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
If the women are hitting the beaches of Normandy wearing allied uniforms yeah the complaints would be. Having a woman as part of a resistance group is historically accurate. And it sounds like BF V is stitching together snippets of stories all around Europe rather than focusing on one thing, like the D-Day invasion or Battle of the Bulge.

Being upset that a trailer showed a very stylized Battle Royal mode that included women is not a valid complaint. We do not know enough about the game to say one way or another. All we know is BF V has varied campaign maps, and no loot crates or pay to win cheats. And that it takes place during WW2.

Images like this are why a lot of people are up in arms. That look like a WW2 game to you? Combine that with the removal of swastikas, and it just feels like there is no regard for the historical setting of the game if it conflicts with the PC, identity politics agenda. Now you can argue that's fine, and that it's just a game, but it doesn't change that many people do have legitimate complaints about the direction they are taking the game. It doesn't really affect me one way or the other since I stopped playing Battlefield games a long time ago. I just dislike revisionist history in all its forms.

PS. The woman in the trailer was British and therefore was not a resistance fighter. She also had a prosthetic arm and a cricket bat with spikes as a weapon. The whole thing was cartoonish.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 06-12-2018 at 08:18 AM..
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #82
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

Images like this are why a lot of people are up in arms. That look like a WW2 game to you? Combine that with the removal of swastikas, and it just feels like there is no regard for the historical setting of the game if it conflicts with the PC, identity politics agenda. Now you can argue that's fine, and that it's just a game, but it doesn't change that many people do have legitimate complaints about the direction they are taking the game. It doesn't really affect me one way or the other since I stopped playing Battlefield games a long time ago. I just dislike revisionist history in all its forms.

PS. The woman in the trailer was British and therefore was not a resistance fighter. She also had a prosthetic arm and a cricket bat with spikes as a weapon. The whole thing was cartoonish.
https://www.express.co.uk/expressyou...-s-secret-army

...They were ordinary people from all walks of life – including clergymen, farmers and housewives – recruited on the Prime Minister’s orders with one mission: to sabotage and kill the Nazis if they invaded Britain...

So...like I said...there is a historical basis for it. They did not just randomly pull things out of their ass. Complaints about a game no one has played yet is a bit premature. We have no clue how BFV is going to present its campaigns and story mode yet.

So any complaint is really a concern at this point. You showing concern is valid, IMO. A special few who immediately equates a female presence in WW2 as SJW pandering is just being thick headed and complaining for the sake of it. Women fought in the second world war. Its not pandering to recognize that.

On one hand, this is a videogame. If it was sticking to specific battles and actions, having black men with blue face paint or one armed British chicks just randomly killing in the backround would be problematic...but so would racking up kill points, trophies and leveling up weapons. The trailer where she is prominently displayed had her dead in the first 20 seconds then respawns in the last 20 to save a guy about to be killed by a Nazi showing off the game's battle royal mode. It looked like a free for all with no real historical basis for any of it. I did not notice a lack of Nazi imagery; and if they removed it to avoid being b****ed at then THAT is pandering, and should be loudly complained about.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #83
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Nintendo! If you are into that...

Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #84
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
https://www.express.co.uk/expressyou...-s-secret-army

...They were ordinary people from all walks of life – including clergymen, farmers and housewives – recruited on the Prime Minister’s orders with one mission: to sabotage and kill the Nazis if they invaded Britain...

So...like I said...there is a historical basis for it. They did not just randomly pull things out of their ass. Complaints about a game no one has played yet is a bit premature. We have no clue how BFV is going to present its campaigns and story mode yet.

So any complaint is really a concern at this point. You showing concern is valid, IMO. A special few who immediately equates a female presence in WW2 as SJW pandering is just being thick headed and complaining for the sake of it. Women fought in the second world war. Its not pandering to recognize that.

On one hand, this is a videogame. If it was sticking to specific battles and actions, having black men with blue face paint or one armed British chicks just randomly killing in the backround would be problematic...but so would racking up kill points, trophies and leveling up weapons. The trailer where she is prominently displayed had her dead in the first 20 seconds then respawns in the last 20 to save a guy about to be killed by a Nazi showing off the game's battle royal mode. It looked like a free for all with no real historical basis for any of it. I did not notice a lack of Nazi imagery; and if they removed it to avoid being b****ed at then THAT is pandering, and should be loudly complained about.

The problem with this kind of argument is that it negates that many people simply want their WW2 games to feel like WW2, at least a little bit. All the things you pointed out are just other issues with the trailer, and likely the game ultimately. I mean I watched a bit of actual gameplay and the women literally scream when they get shot. That's some jarring **** if you are interested in playing a game that at least has some kind of surface resemblance to WW2. And to me that's the problem. For EA and DICE this is just a shooter with a WW2 skin. Battlefield 1942, which is what many are hoping this is a return to, was a WW2 shooter through and through. That's where many fans are getting annoyed. I certainly would be if I thought any EA game was worth my money anymore, but I've been done with them for a long time.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #85
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:

Brilliant. Bonus points for focus Pocus.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #86
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The Last of Us sequel "gameplay" trailer is as impressive, and likely as unreal as the original was when it debuted at E3. I wonder if they had someone hold a controller to pretend he was playing like they did the first time.

Still loved the game and will definitely buy the sequel. Ashley Johnson is my hero.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #87
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
The problem with this kind of argument is that it negates that many people simply want their WW2 games to feel like WW2, at least a little bit. All the things you pointed out are just other issues with the trailer, and likely the game ultimately. I mean I watched a bit of actual gameplay and the women literally scream when they get shot. That's some jarring **** if you are interested in playing a game that at least has some kind of surface resemblance to WW2. And to me that's the problem. For EA and DICE this is just a shooter with a WW2 skin. Battlefield 1942, which is what many are hoping this is a return to, was a WW2 shooter through and through. That's where many fans are getting annoyed. I certainly would be if I thought any EA game was worth my money anymore, but I've been done with them for a long time.
The primary issue is EA. They do not necessarily care what is in the game (ironically...) as long as it generates buzz and sales. So to get upset about what EA puts in its shooters is getting mad at the wrong thing.

EA is not a very good company. Maybe it was once, but they have shifted from accuracy in games and fun of games into trying to create a concrete revenue stream from something that is pure entertainment. They do not realize that some gamers pay attention. The gamers note that entire sections of Star Wars lore and legendary characters is buried behind a pay wall. They note that a flagship franchise got the Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull treatment in Andromeda. They note when games take place in historically familiar times that changing something, even if its historically accurate overall, without explanation will cause uproar.

EA just does not care. BF V is not the issue, thats like getting mad at a runny nose when its just a symptom of whats really ailing you. In this case, it's EA.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #88
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brendan Langley

My 2nd oldest, loves spider man. The new spider man game coming out looks awesome. Better have all the uniforms in it! lol.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #89
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Ghost of Tsushima looks dope. Like Zatoichi the video game.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #90
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
They have said it’ll be much bigger than W3. It’s not clear if it’s going to be divided up into zones like W3 or just be one big map. Vehicles are reportedly going to be drivable so it seems fairly likely that it’s going to play a lot like a GTA game but with the RPG depth of W3.
Sounds ambitious as hell. I hope that they don't end up with huge "filler" sections where nothing is really happening. GTA-style games end up with those a lot of the time.

They did a great job avoiding that with W3. Seemed like there was always something to do in most areas of the game and it was a pretty huge map.

Sounds like it will be first-person, too. Thats awesome. Ive always preferred first-person.

EDIT: I really like the sound of this:

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview...es-of-gameplay

Last edited by ShiftyEyedWaterboy; 06-12-2018 at 06:59 PM..
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #91
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/1...klash-response

...In an interview with Gamasutra, EA chief creative officer Patrick Söderlund says that the developer is uninterested in taking flak for diversifying the gaming space. “We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game,” he says. “I’m fine with either or.” According to Söderlund, the dev team itself also pushed for women in Battlefield V...

EA had a historical basis for adding women to the "gaming space" and chose the PC platform instead. Because EA is trash.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #92
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:

...In an interview with Gamasutra, EA chief creative officer Patrick Söderlund says that the developer is uninterested in taking flak for diversifying the gaming space. “We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game,” he says. “I’m fine with either or.” According to Söderlund, the dev team itself also pushed for women in Battlefield V...

EA had a historical basis for adding women to the "gaming space" and chose the PC platform instead. Because EA is trash.

Well then I hope people don't buy the game. I don't mind having women in MP, as a gender choice to start the game, or when historically accurate like the women pilots or snipers in the Soviet Union but EA's statement there just sucks. More reason to hate them for ME:A
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #93
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:

The historical basis would've pretty much forced them to have players playing Russian soldiers. There is no historical basis for women fighting at the infantry level in British or American forces.

As far as their attitude of "if you don't like it, don't but it" goes, it comes across a lot like the people forcing "diversity" into the Star Wars movies at the cost of the quality of the product. These people have some really fanatical tendencies and it's creepy as ****.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #94
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Sounds ambitious as hell. I hope that they don't end up with huge "filler" sections where nothing is really happening. GTA-style games end up with those a lot of the time.

They did a great job avoiding that with W3. Seemed like there was always something to do in most areas of the game and it was a pretty huge map.

Sounds like it will be first-person, too. Thats awesome. Ive always preferred first-person.

EDIT: I really like the sound of this:

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview...es-of-gameplay
I have mixed feelings about the 1st person part, but overall I'm still stoked for it big time. I think if any designer can pull it off they are the ones.