The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

"Push forward."

Default The "Stanford Experiment" Was A Fraud

A new exposť based on previously unpublished recordings of Philip Zimbardo, the Stanford psychologist who ran the study, and interviews with his participants, offers convincing evidence that the guards in the experiment were coached to be cruel. It also shows that the experiment’s most memorable moment — of a prisoner descending into a screaming fit, proclaiming, “I’m burning up inside!” — was the result of the prisoner acting. “I took it as a kind of an improv exercise,” one of the guards told reporter Ben Blum. “I believed that I was doing what the researchers wanted me to do.”

The findings have long been subject to scrutiny — many think of them as more of a dramatic demonstration, a sort-of academic reality show, than a serious bit of science. But these new revelations incited an immediate response. “We must stop celebrating this work,” personality psychologist Simine Vazire tweeted, in response to the article. “It’s anti-scientific. Get it out of textbooks.” Many other psychologists have expressed similar sentiments.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/13/174491...gy-replication

Wow. Kind of a shock. I learned about this experiment in college and just accepted its findings as fact. Without question. Shows just how difficult it is to lead the Socratic ideal: Question everything, even your own assumptions. I've heard this brought up in so many discussions over the years - "Remember that experiment about guards and prisoners, yada yada yada." The lesson was: In the right kind of situation, any of us might become a brutal authoritarian. Maybe not so much.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

"Push forward."

BTW, there are also numerous other studies mentioned in this article which turned out to be less that how they were sold, like the one where the electroshock is delivered to the patient.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Pretty much every piece of nutritional advice you have read for the last 30 years has been disproven or come under critical skepticism. Eggs bad! Wait a minute not so much! Fish oil great, wait maybe not! Refined sugar, add it to everything! This btw is mainly due to media hyping something for a story the minute research is released. Today the Mediterranean diet took a huge statistical hit. Statins are a huge money maker for the pharmaceutical industry. Cholesterol above 240 wasn’t enough, there was a huge push to get the number moved to 200 as the statin recommendation level thus capturing hundreds of millions in new revenue.

I don’t trust the industry for a second but that also doesn’t mean that all drugs produced are bad.

Last edited by ghwk; 06-13-2018 at 10:37 PM..
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote