The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #76
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Rev you look hot. That picture actually inspires me. I want to get in Rev shape this summer.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #77
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was going to draw up a shirtless comparison between you and Timmy, but I was afraid I might get the OM reclassified by Google again.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #78
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I agree with Baja on this one. Dump the wheat and processed foods and the lbs will come off. I highly recommend 2-3 birkam yoga sessions a week and you will lose as much weight as you want. I've seen people drop 50lbs in a couple months.

I'm not sure I'm buying your earthing as the savior to mind and body though baja. You seem stressed out as ever with your continuous battles with posters here. Earth yourself brother. Relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Namaste
Are you ****ing kidding me? Who has time for 2-3 yoga sessions a week? Between being up at 6 to get the family ready for school, a full day at the office, taking the boy to hockey practice 3 times/week, baby girl to gymnastics/ballet/swimming 3 days/week, getting dinner cooked and on the table by 6:30 every night, doing homework with the boy 4 nights per week, getting them ready for bed, reading to girl every night, reading with boy every night, saying hello to Mrs. H8r for an hour or so a couple nights per week and getting to bed in time to hopefully pull 6 hours of solid sleep before doing it again, when the **** do I have time to do an hour of glorified stretching a few times a week?

Same go for you judgmental workout ****s. Drop a couple of spawn and work that schedule with a full time professional job and tell me about it. Wanna know why fast food is preferable? Not because it is cheap. BECAUSE IT IS FAST!!! Yeah, I cook 90% of the meals that go in our face holes but FFS if it doesn't get exhausting 7 days a week. Processed foods are preferable because it is hard to get enough fruit and veggies to get through a week and I'll double **** stuff a goat if you think I want to add an additional grocery run to my week. Yeah, I know it was my choice to have kids. But seriously, unless you're doing it on 5 hours of sleep and 60 hour work weeks while coaching hockey and baseball and basketball while helping with homework and reading to kids you and your high horse can go **** yourselves.

/end rant
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #79
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

OTOH, Revs nippies look really low. Maybe that's what they are supposed to look like with a buff body?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #80
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
lol I'm not shy
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #81
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
Fair enough:

^ two weeks ago at Gate River Run

Three months ago ran a marathon in 3:52 with only 8 weeks of training (8:50 pace for 26.2 miles):

http://www.1stplacesports.com/jm14fullres.htm

Bench over 300 and can do 20 pullups with 70 lbs belted on (can video in gym next week if you need more proof)
I've honestly never done marathons, so I can't compete with you there. I'm more about short interval running.

I can also bench over 300 (315-335)... 20 pull ups with 70 lbs is nice - how again this isn't part of my training routine.

Those are great numbers when combined together though.

So if all those numbers are true - you probably are in better shape than I...considering it sounds like you spend more time on it than me.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #82
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It really depends on the sales. I get really great deals on my produce and it is far much less compared to the frozen/processed/boxed foods.

Why would I pay $8.99 for a Digornio pizza when I can get a lot of good produce for that price that helps make meals for a week instead of one meal for the evening?
Don't confused pre-packaged meals (i.e. frozen dinners/pizzas) with what I'm talking about: processed foods. Processed foods:

* Cereals
* Pastas (everything from spaghetti to mac+cheese, etc.)
* non whole-grain bread products
* most instant rices (all the good parts are removed from white rice, and all you have left over is the sugar)
* lunch and other prepared meats
* most packaged flours
* "cheeses" (by "cheeses" I mean the types of processed non-cheese that gets sold as real cheese).
* Dressings/sauces/condiments (most are basically refined sugar -- ever looked at the ingredients list of heinz?)
* other dairy products (yogurt, etc.) -- all full of added sugar (even the ones that claim to be healthy like "greek" yogurts!)

That's just off the top of my head, and includes only "types" of foods. The reality is almost all "food" that comes in a dried, unrefrigerated package is processed with enormous amounts of sugar, salt and other additives to make it palatable and shelf stable.

You can still find real, honest to goodness food in a package (e.g. whole grain brown rice, lean meats, etc.) but it's pretty difficult and more expensive.

For example, orowheat claims they make "100% natural, 7 grain bread" which sounds good, but is still made predominately with processed flour.

The only thing you can do is look at the label of everything, especially the things claiming to be whole, natural, light, etc.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #83
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Rev you look hot. That picture actually inspires me. I want to get in Rev shape this summer.
I'm trying, and it's just so I can start posting pictures of me on here - might even buy a lobster if I see my abs....
Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #84
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
OTOH, Revs nippies look really low. Maybe that's what they are supposed to look like with a buff body?
Wow...this thread is taking a turn for the weird.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #85
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
I've got a spawn, a work schedule and a full time grad school schedule, AND I waste time here
I take you aren't much of a sleeper.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #86
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I've got a spawn, a work schedule and a full time grad school schedule, AND I waste time here
Damn it. You ARE better than me.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #87
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me? Who has time for 2-3 yoga sessions a week? Between being up at 6 to get the family ready for school, a full day at the office, taking the boy to hockey practice 3 times/week, baby girl to gymnastics/ballet/swimming 3 days/week, getting dinner cooked and on the table by 6:30 every night, doing homework with the boy 4 nights per week, getting them ready for bed, reading to girl every night, reading with boy every night, saying hello to Mrs. H8r for an hour or so a couple nights per week and getting to bed in time to hopefully pull 6 hours of solid sleep before doing it again, when the **** do I have time to do an hour of glorified stretching a few times a week?

Same go for you judgmental workout ****s. Drop a couple of spawn and work that schedule with a full time professional job and tell me about it. Wanna know why fast food is preferable? Not because it is cheap. BECAUSE IT IS FAST!!! Yeah, I cook 90% of the meals that go in our face holes but FFS if it doesn't get exhausting 7 days a week. Processed foods are preferable because it is hard to get enough fruit and veggies to get through a week and I'll double **** stuff a goat if you think I want to add an additional grocery run to my week. Yeah, I know it was my choice to have kids. But seriously, unless you're doing it on 5 hours of sleep and 60 hour work weeks while coaching hockey and baseball and basketball while helping with homework and reading to kids you and your high horse can go **** yourselves.

/end rant
So me right here. At least the daughter in gymnastics is in shape. We can both vouch for that.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #88
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Damn it. You ARE better than me.
Pretty low bar to hurdle, though, amirite?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #89
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yeah it's funny to me that people have these conversations like it's complex or something. Modern processed food is terrible in many ways, but in the end what makes a person fat is eating too much and/or not exercising, because it all really boils down to whether or not you're taking in more calories than you're burning. Processed foods being really high in calories do make this easier to do on accident, but they don't automatically make a person fat on their own.
Processed foods/sugar drenched foods are more calorie dense and don't fill you up as well (literally and figuratively, so it's a lot harder to determine subjectively when you should stop eating). You can easily tell by looking at calories, etc. but your body doesn't have a calorie meter running when you are eating.

And like I've said a bunch, it's not just one thing. The processed foods thing is just one part of the problem.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #90
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Pretty low bar to hurdle, though, amirite?
TWSS
Old 03-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #91
Zealot
I miss Wade

Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:19 PM   #92
GobBluth
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's not that hard to figure out.

People are eating more and working out less.

Simple.
GobBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #93
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Processed foods/sugar drenched foods are more calorie dense and don't fill you up as well (literally and figuratively, so it's a lot harder to determine subjectively when you should stop eating). You can easily tell by looking at calories, etc. but your body doesn't have a calorie meter running when you are eating.

And like I've said a bunch, it's not just one thing. The processed foods thing is just one part of the problem.
Yeah I'm just talking about the actual biological process of caloric intake versus activity and how that results in the body storing the excess calories in the form of fat. Obviously food that is higher in calories vs nutritional value is more likely to lead to excess caloric intake.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #94
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post

/end rant
woah.....Yeah I admit it's tougher now that I have a kid. Just one though. The studios I go to have classes from 6-am-8pm. They have one during lunch that's 60 minutes. Get in, get your ass kicked, leave. Typically though the bikram series is 90 minutes.

I get it though dude. Kids change things. I barely went during the first 6 months of having a kid and gained a good 10lbs as a result.

Don't go stuffing any goats. That ain't cool.

Anyway hot yoga helps melt all the mcdonalds, processed crap, twinkies or wheat away.

Last edited by Meck77; 03-31-2015 at 03:40 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #95
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Don't confused pre-packaged meals (i.e. frozen dinners/pizzas) with what I'm talking about: processed foods. Processed foods:

* Cereals
* Pastas (everything from spaghetti to mac+cheese, etc.)
* non whole-grain bread products
* most instant rices (all the good parts are removed from white rice, and all you have left over is the sugar)
* lunch and other prepared meats
* most packaged flours
* "cheeses" (by "cheeses" I mean the types of processed non-cheese that gets sold as real cheese).
* Dressings/sauces/condiments (most are basically refined sugar -- ever looked at the ingredients list of heinz?)
* other dairy products (yogurt, etc.) -- all full of added sugar (even the ones that claim to be healthy like "greek" yogurts!)

That's just off the top of my head, and includes only "types" of foods. The reality is almost all "food" that comes in a dried, unrefrigerated package is processed with enormous amounts of sugar, salt and other additives to make it palatable and shelf stable.

You can still find real, honest to goodness food in a package (e.g. whole grain brown rice, lean meats, etc.) but it's pretty difficult and more expensive.

For example, orowheat claims they make "100% natural, 7 grain bread" which sounds good, but is still made predominately with processed flour.

The only thing you can do is look at the label of everything, especially the things claiming to be whole, natural, light, etc.
Aren't pre-packaged meals processed foods though? I guess I really don't know what you would classify them as. I just avoid those aisles for the most part. My only bane is that I like getting ghost pepper salsa and get some of the low-sodium chips in the organic section of the grocery store that are a bit more spendy.

I have to be on a renal friendly diet, so almost everything up there is a no go. I use Mrs. Dash seasonings that have no salt for everything, and herbs and spices (those are what cost the most!) to season any of my food. I think the average intake of sodium in MG a day for people is 3,500 or so -- and it's supposed to be 2,400. I try to do less than 1,200 a day from what the renal dietician person told me.

I basically eat fish and poultry for my meats. I usually alternate having meats every other day, so 3-4 times a week. My renal issues cause me some protein issues and while protein is important, too much of it really ****ers me up. I'll occasionally get red meats, but maybe once a week tops. Usually something to put in a no-salt stir fry.

I don't know if the Just Bare whole chickens are the best thing out there, but I scoop them out of the reduced bins (once a week) and get a whole chicken for like $3.75 -- which I think is a killer deal. They are about 3 pounds, which is a lot of meat, IMHO.

I was also able to get a bunch of their chicken drummies and breasts for the same amount or less. I always do the bargain bin shopping and freeze the food if I am not going to make it in the next few days. No reason to spend crazy amounts (double the price) on that stuff.

I was able to get 10 pounds of that for roughly $15 total, which is an absolute bargain. Probably not as cool as going to a local farmer or farmer's market and getting whole chickens there, but I don't think it's too bad. Fish is the most expensive thing, but fishing season is going to be in swing, so obviously I'll be saving bucks that way.

I do a lot of trading a bartering with a friend of mine who has a small farm in MN and raises rabbits, etc. -- and I'm about to go and get some good stuff from him, which ends up being tit for tat and of little or no cost to me.

I just don't buy into the fact that people can't eat well on a small budget. I understand that this is coming from a single individual (with a GF's) perspective, so family costs are going to be a lot more -- but I do think a lot of the issue is people not taking the time to do it and just going for the instant gratification.

If people want to spend $25+ going through McDonalds and get a couple values meals for a family meal, whatever. I think that is dumb, because I know what kind of food you can get for $25. I don't like seeing "don't have the time" being used as an excuse for people to not do better for themselves and kids. A great, healthy meal doesn't need to take hours to be done. I do it every day and usually nothing takes more than an hour or so to complete, unless it's baking one of the chickens above and making something really special.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #96
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Diet > Exercise in terms of a driving contributor.

Our FDA has certainly let us down so has the food industrial infrastructure in the US. Companies fail to label properly and are not held accountable. They really are slowly killing their customer base in order to exact every last penny of profit. Artificial sweeteners, processed ingredients, and preservatives are the devil.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #97
uplink
Ring of Famer

I've been eating this meal every time I have time to cook:

(lean chopped pork, red cabbage, green cabbage, black pepper, garlic, cilantro, carrots, onion, fish sauce, ginger) stir fried in a bit of olive oil. Throw in some chopped squash or eggplant midway, and then throw in some spinach or kale at the end. While I eat it I watch a 20 min episode of 'arrested development' on Netflix

Its so good, good for the waist line and wallet.

Last edited by uplink; 03-31-2015 at 03:52 PM..
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #98
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

im just here to fullfill the first rule of Cross Fit, which is talk about it.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #99
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Aren't pre-packaged meals processed foods though? I guess I really don't know what you would classify them as. I just avoid those aisles for the most part.
Yeah, they are processed too. But we're talking about cost, and I was clarifying that processed foods aren't just the things sitting in a TV dinner.

Quote:
I don't know if the Just Bare whole chickens are the best thing out there, but I scoop them out of the reduced bins (once a week) and get a whole chicken for like $3.75 -- which I think is a killer deal. They are about 3 pounds, which is a lot of meat, IMHO.

I just don't buy into the fact that people can't eat well on a small budget. I understand that this is coming from a single individual (with a GF's) perspective, so family costs are going to be a lot more -- but I do think a lot of the issue is people not taking the time to do it and just going for the instant gratification.
Reduced bins are a great way to save some money, but isn't exactly something that scales to everyone.

And even @ $3.75 for a 3 lb whole chicken, you're only going to get about 1 lb of usable, healthy meat off the thing (the rest is bone, tendon, fat, dark meats, skin, etc.). Enough for a about 1 meal (if you only ate the chicken as a meal).

For $3.75 I can buy enough processed crap for a lot more than 1 meal. image how much mac+cheese you could buy for $3.75 (or more realistically, the non bargain bin price for that chicken)

(no, not a healthy meal, but a meal)

Quote:

If people want to spend $25+ going through McDonalds and get a couple values meals for a family meal, whatever. I think that is dumb, because I know what kind of food you can get for $25. I don't like seeing "don't have the time" being used as an excuse for people to not do better for themselves and kids. A great, healthy meal doesn't need to take hours to be done. I do it every day and usually nothing takes more than an hour or so to complete, unless it's baking one of the chickens above and making something really special.
"I don't have time" is certainly not a good excuse (in most cases), but it is a reason -- part of the problem.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #100
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
A spawn, singular, doesn't count. You're still running a double team defense. Gotta get into man to man or worse to put it on the board.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote