The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Sloterhouse or $w@G?
Sloter 10 17.86%
Kelly 46 82.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #26
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I guess you aren't factoring in how good he was in preseason last year. Through five preseason games:

40/54
482 yards
4 passing TD's
0 picks
1 rushing TD
125.7 passer rating

Kelly looked pretty good last night, and definitely flashed some real talent. That said, he hasn't matched Sloter in terms of preseason performances. Not even close. Ultimately I'm curious to see what these guys can do in games that count, assuming they eventually get a shot.
Sloter also has two dropped INTs that I remember, one last night and one last year. Kelly should have 3 TDs, 1 INT maybe 2. The preseason is still young.
Brohemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #27
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Were Sloter or Kelly playing against starters?
Mayfield and Darnold haven't seen starters either.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #28
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
Sloter also has two dropped INTs that I remember, one last night and one last year. Kelly should have 3 TDs, 1 INT maybe 2. The preseason is still young.
Kelly had a dropped pick last night. So if that's something we want to start tracking, Sloter has 2 in 5 games and Kelly has 1 in 1 game.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #29
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Were Sloter or Kelly playing against starters?
Nope and neither were Mayfield or Darnold. I love me some Mayfield, but he was not better than Sloter has been in his five preseason games or Kelly was in his one preseason game. You're making yourself look kind of silly right now.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #30
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Quote:
Nope and neither were Mayfield or Darnold. I love me some Mayfield, but he was not better than Sloter has been in his five preseason games or Kelly was in his one preseason game. You're making yourself look kind of silly right now.
I'm not planting my flag in a hill after the first preseason game, either. Especially not for backups.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #31
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Case didn't look so hot last night. I'm guessing he'll still be the starter in game one.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #32
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Kelly had a dropped pick last night. So if that's something we want to start tracking, Sloter has 2 in 5 games and Kelly has 1 in 1 game.
Like I said, it's close. It's an unfair comparison until Kelly gets more than a game to narrow the gap. I like Kelly's short memory and aggression. After the INT he went right back to slinging the ball.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #33
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Like I said, it's close. It's an unfair comparison until Kelly gets more than a game to narrow the gap. I like Kelly's short memory and aggression. After the INT he went right back to slinging the ball.
By no means am I saying Sloter is conclusively better. I'm just pointing out that you really can't say Kelly is better off of last night's game, when Sloter's five preseason games have been quite impressive overall. What I find aggravating in all of this is how much bias most people have regarding draft position vs on the field play. If you watch Sloter and Kelly play, and don't think they deserve a shot in this league your bias runs deep. No one would bat an eye when watching them play, if you told them either was a 1st or 2nd round pick.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #34
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
By no means am I saying Sloter is conclusively better. I'm just pointing out that you really can't say Kelly is better off of last night's game, when Sloter's five preseason games have been quite impressive overall. What I find aggravating in all of this is how much bias most people have regarding draft position vs on the field play. If you watch Sloter and Kelly play, and don't think they deserve a shot in this league your bias runs deep. No one would bat an eye when watching them play, if you told them either was a 1st or 2nd round pick.
I find it equally aggravating when you name a journeyman the uncontested starter when he has a single fluky playoff win in his career. Even garbage like Mark Sanchez had to compete and he had three times the playoff resume. So are we admitting Keenum is the starter solely because of 22 TDs 7 INTs in the regular season?

Meanwhile Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen are poised to start and they performed equal to or worse than Kelly.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #35
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

I really like both. Wish we would have kept Sloter last year, love the kid's story and hope he gets a real shot. Would love for Kelly to take over next year for us, while he dumps Lynch for #2 this year.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #36
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
I find it equally aggravating when you name a journeyman the uncontested starter when he has a single fluky playoff win in his career. Even garbage like Mark Sanchez had to compete and he had three times the playoff resume. So are we admitting Keenum is the starter solely because of 22 TDs 7 INTs in the regular season?

Meanwhile Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen are poised to start and they performed equal to or worse than Kelly.
By all accounts Keenum has been money in camp, so it would seem he would be winning a competition if there was one.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #37
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastBronco View Post
That “great back shoulder pass” should’ve been a pick six against a real defense.
Completely. It wasn’t really back shoulder haha. The corner wasn’t looking
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #38
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
By all accounts Keenum has been money in camp, so it would seem he would be winning a competition if there was one.
If I remember correctly, Sanchez won the camp competition and then imploded in preseason.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #39
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Sanchez won the camp competition and then imploded in preseason.
Sanchez was garbage in camp and then proceeded to be garbage in preseason as well.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #40
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Both have looked as good as the best of this year's 1st round picks, so this is a dumb take.
Bingo. I'll take either. I could care less. I picked Kelly cause he's on DEN as of today, and that's the only reason.
We wouldn't be in this situation if Elway had just recognized his mistake, accepted it and kept Sloter.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #41
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Sloter is a big more of a scrambler/creator type, which is exciting to watch, but less consistent. I think at this point Sloter is the better player for sure, but Kelly has so much growth open to him. He always gives good interviews and is very frank and to the point in them. I like that he doesn't get too high or too low. Unless he's really good at hiding his crap, he appears to have matured a great deal. He's confident and accurate. The offense was simplified for him, but at least he could execute it. I like that he tries to make plays rather than trying to not make mistakes. And he presents confidence, but in calm way like he's keeping everyone on schedule.

The Dolphins will probably cut Osweiller and Elway will see him available again, sign him and release Kelly and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. He'll go to Buffalo and be a great feel-good story there and Elway will be like "What?! Look at my Giraffes!"

And I'll be like

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #42
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Sloter is a big more of a scrambler/creator type, which is exciting to watch, but less consistent. I think at this point Sloter is the better player for sure, but Kelly has so much growth open to him. He always gives good interviews and is very frank and to the point in them. I like that he doesn't get too high or too low. Unless he's really good at hiding his crap, he appears to have matured a great deal. He's confident and accurate. The offense was simplified for him, but at least he could execute it. I like that he tries to make plays rather than trying to not make mistakes. And he presents confidence, but in calm way like he's keeping everyone on schedule.

The Dolphins will probably cut Osweiller and Elway will see him available again, sign him and release Kelly and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. He'll go to Buffalo and be a great feel-good story there and Elway will be like "What?! Look at my Giraffes!"

And I'll be like

I love Kelly’s aloofness. He doesn’t seem to get rattled. I first noticed this in his exchange with Mia khalifa. He tried, she put him on public blast, he tried again. That’s wxactly what I want in my QB. fearless because he doesn’t know any better

I think he has some Favre in him
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #43
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Sanchez was garbage in camp and then proceeded to be garbage in preseason as well.
I remember it differently but I'm too lazy to dig up 2-year old camp reports.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #44
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
I remember it differently but I'm too lazy to dig up 2-year old camp reports.
Here's one I found rather quick:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...hez-struggles/
Old 08-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #45
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

For the first time playing in an NFL game, Kelly did well. I liked Sloter, too. But, only one of them plays for the Broncos. It was an easy vote for me.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote