The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Tailgate Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #26
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

made ribs today, awesome.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #27
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Hey Chef I'm kinda a lazy bbqr but I enjoy it with a beer so maybe you can help here. I tried a new rib recipe last week that only turned out 50 % ok. Browned the ribs on the grill meat side down for 5-10 mins. Then covered them with BBQ sauce wrapped in Saran Wrap then tin foil. Put in oven at 350 for 90 mins at 350. I think this is an Emeril recipe. Meat came out tender on one rack dry ish on the other but there was no BBQ sauce on either and no glaze at all. Is there a fix for this or should I just get better at doing them on the grill and skip the oven. I used Stubbs BBQ sauce because it was on sale. Is there a good gas grill recipe that doesn't dry the meat but also has a great BBQ glaze when you eat them?

TIA.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #28
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Hey Chef I'm kinda a lazy bbqr but I enjoy it with a beer so maybe you can help here. I tried a new rib recipe last week that only turned out 50 % ok. Browned the ribs on the grill meat side down for 5-10 mins. Then covered them with BBQ sauce wrapped in Saran Wrap then tin foil. Put in oven at 350 for 90 mins at 350. I think this is an Emeril recipe. Meat came out tender on one rack dry ish on the other but there was no BBQ sauce on either and no glaze at all. Is there a fix for this or should I just get better at doing them on the grill and skip the oven. I used Stubbs BBQ sauce because it was on sale. Is there a good gas grill recipe that doesn't dry the meat but also has a great BBQ glaze when you eat them?

TIA.
if you don't want to follow my 5 step process then I suggest you look up Alton Browns method for oven cooking.
His involves an aluminum foil "envelop" similar to what you describe.
a grill is a little to HOT for just the initial browning, also the plastic wrap[ beneath the aluminum is too excessive.

try browning in the oven, not on the grill for the first step.
also do not SAUCE until the last part of cooking, you can brush or dip and then finish in the oven or on the grill.
check out the alton smith method, otherwise you can follow mine using your grill in steps 1 and 4 and 5 but less than 5 minutes on a HOT GRILL FOR ALL OF THOSE STEPS.
GOOD LUCK, LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT

PS. for my method, the BRAISING of the meat provides the best flavor and the most tender of ribs.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #29
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
if you don't want to follow my 5 step process then I suggest you look up Alton Browns method for oven cooking.
His involves an aluminum foil "envelop" similar to what you describe.
a grill is a little to HOT for just the initial browning, also the plastic wrap[ beneath the aluminum is too excessive.

try browning in the oven, not on the grill for the first step.
also do not SAUCE until the last part of cooking, you can brush or dip and then finish in the oven or on the grill.
check out the alton smith method, otherwise you can follow mine using your grill in steps 1 and 4 and 5 but less than 5 minutes on a HOT GRILL FOR ALL OF THOSE STEPS.
GOOD LUCK, LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT

PS. for my method, the BRAISING of the meat provides the best flavor and the most tender of ribs.
Thanks Chef, unfortunately I just don't enjoy the process of cooking that much but one day I'll give your 5 steps a shot. I'll take a look at the smith method. Why don't you put sauce on until the end?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #30
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

sauce has a high sugar content and burns easily. if you overwhelm the ribs with sauce, then you only taste the sauce.
the ribs should have their own flavor, and the sauce ENHANCES the flavor, not overwhelms it.
JMHO, I think the sauce should be GLAZED on the ribs, for a crispy sweet finish and extra sauce added as a condiment.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #31
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Thanks Chef, unfortunately I just don't enjoy the process of cooking that much but one day I'll give your 5 steps a shot. I'll take a look at the smith method. Why don't you put sauce on until the end?
although my 5 step process sounds Prohibitive, the entire process will take less than 2 hours, far less than conventional smoking.
Ten minutes of chopping vegetables and the oven does the rest of the work.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #32
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
thanksgiving menu and methodology, zambini style.
WEDNESDAY:

, bone out turkeys, breast halves, and four piece dark meaT, USE BONES FOR STOCK.
TRUSS BREASTS

BRINE: ( see my new quick brine recipe and method located further along in this thread)

Make stock:prepare roasting pan with carrots, celery, onion, oranges and apples, all diced, all oiled and seasoned with rosemary and tarragon.
roast all veggies at 425 for 10 minutes, along with bones from the turkey.
use roasted bones and veggies cover with water bring to a boil and then simmer on low overnight, around 6 hours.
strain and bring liquid to a quick boil.
then remove from heat.
this stock you can now use for gravy and for braising your dark meat.
You can always buy a good quality stock and skip this part, but turkey bones make amazing stock for braising and GRAVY !

CRANBERRIES:
1 Lb bag of cranberries, one cup sugar, one cup sweet white wine.cHENIN BLANC, MUSCAT as an example.
combine.
flavoir with, favorite liquor, (grandmarinier)(2 ounces, i use port )
nutmeg
cinnamon
all spice
maple syrup
bring to slow boil over low heat, covered first 30 minutes.
45 minutes to an hour total
refregerate overnight.

THURSDAY

prepare roasting pan with carrots, celery, onion, oranges and apples, all diced, all oiled and seasoned with rosemary and tarragon.
roast all veggies at 425 for 10 minutes, place turkey pieces on top , then roast or hot smoke for 45 minutes.
braise dark meat pieces in roasted veggies and stock, for 30 additional minutes.
Pull breasts at 140 internal temp.
Pull dark meat at 160 F

STUFFING:
USE 3 BREAD TYPES, HERB LOAF, MARBLE RYE, SOURDOUGH.
cut and cube to stand at room temp overnight.
fine dice carrot, cerery, onion, garlic, sautee.
add medium dice apples, pears, (both skinned)
craisins,pecans and chopped black olives. mix in large bowl with dried bread (croutons).
add STOCK and mix to a mashed potato consistency.
spread into a greased pyrex / glass pan, , bake at 450 for half hour, roasted, moist, mixture, turn and redistribute as needed.

Mushroom gravy:
dice assorted mushrooms, sautee in garlic, onion and a splash of stock, reduce and set aside.
roux thickened stock, add mushrooms, simmer.
Update for 2016!
please let me know if you have ANY T day questions,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Old 11-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #33
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
ambinis quick brine technique:

(I use this to brine my turkey breast)
2/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of table salt
one newcastle bottle of beer
12 OZ. water ( i refill the bottle after I pour out the beer)
one tablespoon of garlic POWDER ( not salt).

I use my WOK for this technique.
add alll ingredients to the wok,
bring to a boil.
remove from heat and place washed, dried, room temp turkey breast in liquid.
(if bone in, meat side down)
if boneless, skin side up.
emmediatly cover with ice, enough to totaly emerse breast in icewater with ice on top.
let stand at room temperature for 90 minutes.
remove from brine, season and roast.
pull from heat when temperature reaches 140 degrees, (farenheit, all you canadians) !

This method is very effective because the initial plunge in hot brine opens up the the 'pores'
of the turkey meat. when the ice is added, the meat contracts, pulling in the brine, deep into the meat. the ice will then keep the breast at a proper temp to avoid the growth of bacteria while it continues to brine.
give it a try, we love it so much I make a turkey breast every week !
BUMP FOR t DAY
Old 11-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #34
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Stove Top boxed stuffing is 88 cents.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #35
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Stove Top boxed stuffing is 88 cents.
happy thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #36
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Boned out my Turkey, roasted the bones with vegetables;
Now all on the stove top bubbling away for my STOCK, just 5 hours away !
Made my brine, Breasts went in with brine around 140 F.
Breast were at 40 F I placed them to brine/ poach in the FREEZER for 10 minutes to bring the temp down to around 50, now in the fridge for 2 hours at which point I will remove them for roasting tomorrow.
next up cranberries... done !
Old 02-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #37
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
CHILI, as you like it !

I think a combination of flavors and textures are important so I always use a variety of meats and 'cuts' for the foundation.
beef.... ground and / or cubedchuck or bottom round are fine, dont buy expensive cuts for long cooking process.
chicken..... cubed
turkey....ground only
pork.......ground and / or cubed.butt or a loin if the price is right, again buying expensive cuts for a stewing process is a waste of Money.

for thick chunks of meat, beef and pork work best, a turkey or chicken cubed chili will be dry if overcooked, so those meats work best GROUND, especially in a long slow crock pot process !

for slow cooker(crock pot) always brown your meats FIRST !
I reccomend a large wok for the process !
if using a combination of cubed and ground meats, cook the ground meat FIRST to be sure it all cooks completly, before adding it to the crock pot, drain off any excess fat before adding to the pot.
cubed meat should be seasoned before browning and be sure to oil the pan well before browning all the cubes of meat, THEY do not have to be completly done before entering the crock pot, in fact, the beef should still be considered "medium rare" with a redish pink center.

BEANS: I reccomend black beans and kidney beans, mixed, but use the beans you like ! if canned, be sure to wash and drain them well before adding them to the mix or your entire chili will taste like it came out of a can !
a can of diced tomatos,1 for every 4 pounds of meat, a good quality, will also add sweetness and a favorable acid to the chili, , no need to drain or wash the canned tomatos if you are buying a quality product.
seasonings:
easy on the salt, I use none UNTIL I TASTE THE FINAL PRODUCT !
SALT WILL INTENSIFY AS IT COOKS, SO I RARELY SEASON WITH SALT BEFORE THE FINAL STAGE OF COOKING !

PEPPER i LIKE IT HOT! SO i USE A COMBINATION MIXED PEPPERCORNS AND GRIND THEM FReSH WHILE BROWNING BOTH GROUND AND CUBED MEAT
(shillings makes an excellent combo pepper mix with the grinder already to go, and not to expensive either.)

garlic and onions, finely chopped, and a good thing to add to the GROUND meat when you are browning, this will help you to avoid burning the GARLIC, which happens easily if hot and all alone.
TOBASCO to taste, use sparingly to start during the browning, and adjust to your taste in the final stages.

cummin, chili powder, smoked paprika,garlic POWDER (not salt) these are my favorite seasonings for CHILI.

BEER : drink it while you cook and use it to de-glaze the pan during the browning phase.
a cheap light beer will work fine, but if you are entering a chili cook-off contest, use a bottle of newcastle nut brown ale ! or dos equis !
a bottle of beer for every 5 pounds of meat should do the trick.

RATIOS, make enough to fill your biggest pot !
the beauty of good chili is it tastes even better the next day! ( if it lasts that long )
and it will FREEZE and reheat well too !

for every 4 pounds of meat, I add 2 cans of beans, 1 black, one kidney.
for every pound of meat, I add one OUNCE of chili powder!
( that a ton of chili powder, so be sure to buy one you believe in ! )

minced garlic and onion ( I always use sweet onion BTW, but a brown onion will do.)
a quarter cup of each for every 5 pounds of meat, depending on your taste.

technique:
as you brown your meat. you can add the garlic and onion half way thru the process.
this will help you avoid burning the garlic and onions.

when you pull the groUnd meat from the pan (wok) set it aside and DE-GLAzE the pan with a couple onces of BEER, this will take the drippings off the pan surface and mary those excellent flavors together!
you will smell the intensity of the flavors as they combIne and simmer with the beer.
scrape the sides with a good spatula and let it all simmer and reduce for a minute or two .
add the CUBED meat to the simmered drippings and turn the heat back up to HIGH and brown the cubes of meat !
add the remainder of the beer bottle at this point stir, then add all your SPICES and mix together before all the fluid evaporates, turn the heAT DOWN to medium, once the spices are added.

combine all ingrEdients.
cooked ground, browned cubed and beans .
if you are going to use a crock pot, start with the highest setting, until you see the liquids bubble, then finish the cooking on the lowest setting.
if you are going to finish the CHILI in your biggest pot, or wok, turn the heat down to LOW, and stir every 20 minutes to avoid burning the bottom !

LARGE PRODUCTION:
if you are making a HUGE batch for GAMEDAY and lots of friends, you may need to do multiple steps of browning to avoid overloading your browning pan or WOK !
then put everything in that HUGE pot of yours, and INSTEAD of trying to keep it all stirred and oiff the bottom to scorch, shove that huge pot of yours into the OVEN and let it cook without all the fuss for at least an HOUR on very low heat, 225-275, depending on your oven and the size of your pot. ( the bigger the pot, the higher the heat.)

TOPPINGS:
here is where you can make the chili experince sensational !
for a party, give your guests a variety of toppings to add and choose from and they will all swear your chili is the best ever!
sour cream
jalepenos
olives
diced tomatos
crumpled bacon
cheetos or your favorite crumpled potato chips
fresh diced RED onion
fresh diced bell pepper, (various colors, mixed, makes a nice presentation)
want to blow your guests away? ( of course) grill a nice, trimmed, piece of NY steak, and cut thin slices or slabs, depending on you budget and your friends to place on top of each bowl of chili.
remember to TASTE your chili during the final stages, and adjust the seasoning.

NOTE, you can always add stock to the simmer phase, along with or instead of the beer.
stock can also be mixed into the large production or to top off the crock pot, to keep the chili from drying out !
ENJOY ! ( and let me know if you have any questions ! )
bump for superbopwl.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #38
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

This thread would be better if Chef showed some pictures of his work.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #39
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
This thread would be better if Chef showed some pictures of his work.
I cant edit any of my posts ,sorry no pictures or updates to recipes, I am BLOCKED from editing.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #40
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I cant edit any of my posts ,sorry no pictures or updates to recipes, I am BLOCKED from editing.
As far as I know, there is no way to block a person from editing his/her posts. What purpose could that possibly serve?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #41
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
As far as I know, there is no way to block a person from editing his/her posts. What purpose could that possibly serve?
Chef is apparently on double secret probation.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #42
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
well dom I cant edit or add photos to my recipe posts.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #43
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
persecution?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #44
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

bump
Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #45
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

sorry folks I am prohibited from editing any of the posts in this thread, no pictures or updates.
Perhaps a MOD would be brave enough to explain why ?
Where else is any other poster prohibited from editing their own posts?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #46
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
you don't know squat apparently.
are you a mod?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #47
GreatBronco16
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Since this is your own personal thread, why not just copy and paste your recipe in a new post and add the pictures to the new post Who cares if you can't edit your 4 year old post. Just post it again and add the pictures.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #48
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Since this is your own personal thread, why not just copy and paste your recipe in a new post and add the pictures to the new post Who cares if you can't edit your 4 year old post. Just post it again and add the pictures.
I also want to modify some of the cooking times and temperatures, clean up some verbiage, etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: