The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #1476
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Not here - read everything I pick up (sometimes to my detriment). What is 'the handy link'? Or am I just being obtuse on jerk off slang?
Obtuse reference to the ease of finding articles etc via Twitter. So much good stuff out there I fall behind on books.

Here is an article about a Philly trauma surgeon grappling with gun violence that is as good writing as you'll find anywhere.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/a.../gun-violence/

Just as an example. And the short stories on Medium, Patreon, Electric Lit, all those are black holes that you'll never get out of.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1477
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Here is the four-star review I just posted of David Icke's 2016 book Phantom Self (and how to find the real one)

There were a few moments when I almost tossed David Icke's book Phantom Self in the trash. It's not an easy book to finish. I nearly gave up on it for reasons I will mention, in a moment. But I was determined to get through it, and so, I persisted. Looking back, I am glad I did.

The book is an excruciatingly detailed discussion about techno-trends and the nightmarish future that awaits us, IF the psychopaths who run the West are allowed to impose their planned Brave New World upon us. The author has an extraordinary feel for his material, and spices his writing with salient references to dystopian novels by Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, and others.

I give Icke credit. He really nails down the dilemma of our time. His working hypothesis is straight out of the Matrix. Humanity has been hypnotized by a class of reptilian controllers, the Archons of Gnostic esoterica, who have imposed a perception control system to keep us in the dark, and thereby, prevent us from re-connecting with our true selves, namely, our higher spiritual identity. If humans should ever succeed in escaping the Matrix even long enough to wake up to who we truly are, and experience higher consciousness, it's game over. Whether or not Icke's working hypothesis about Archons is literally true, it is a useful construct because it helps to cut to the chase.

I did have some issues with the author's writing. Icke tends to be verbose. His manuscript needed a helpful scalpel. Icke needs to learn that less is often more. He could easily have trimmed 50-100 pages.

I was miffed to discover that 25 pages was missing from the copy I purchased, starting on page 252. Was this a publisher's error -- or evidence of censorship? I have no way of knowing.

Although Icke has an excellent nose for the truth, and is usually spot on, he has an occasional habit of making unsubstantiated claims. It's why I only gave him four stars. For example, he asserts (without presenting any evidence) that climate scientist James Hansen fudged the data to support climate change. I should mention, Icke does not accept the case for climate change, thinking it's all hokum, just another method for enslaving humanity. I urge Icke to review the evidence again. Indeed, I encourage him to read Peter Wadhams great book, A Farewell to Ice. Professor Wadhams made 50 trips to the Arctic over a 40-year career, and he tells it the way it is. Wadhams' refusal to water down the science prompted Cambridge to force him into early retirement. As for Hansen, if he has erred, it was by presenting a too optimistic case.

This said, Icke is correct that many of the so called solutions to climate change are no solution at all, and will only make matters worse. This is a big part of the problem.

Phantom Self: (And How to Find the Real One) Paperback Ė February 1, 2016
by David Icke

https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Self-...elf+david+icke
Attached Images

mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #1478
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

^ Why am I not surprised?
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #1479
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I would rather set my balls on fire and chug a gallon of four loco then read something Gaff recommends.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #1480
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I would rather set my balls on fire and chug a gallon of four loco then read something Gaff recommends.
Well if you drink the Four Loco first you would probably light your balls on fire anyway.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #1481
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

The Perfect Pass was a great read.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #1482
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure is an Option for VJ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Penrose

I just finished Raymond Chandlers "The High Window". Was a fun read.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #1483
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Well if you drink the Four Loco first you would probably light your balls on fire anyway.
Hold my Beer....
Old 12-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #1484
Maleficent
🙏 2018

Call Me By Your Name.

Haven’t seen the film yet.
Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #1485
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD4HOF View Post
Obtuse reference to the ease of finding articles etc via Twitter. So much good stuff out there I fall behind on books.

Here is an article about a Philly trauma surgeon grappling with gun violence that is as good writing as you'll find anywhere.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/a.../gun-violence/

Just as an example. And the short stories on Medium, Patreon, Electric Lit, all those are black holes that you'll never get out of.
Couldn't make it past the first page. I like non partisan writing. Lead me to a conclusion don't chase me.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:39 AM   #1486
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Bro I finally read Shadow and Claw and it went right the eff over my head, holy crap. Did some research after finishing it and the idea seems to be you have to read it twice to put it all the hints and whatnot together, but man alive, I dont think I can do it again.
Itís definitely not for everyone. Iíve been giving people a lot of caveats lately when I recommend it. The way itís written I donít think true understanding is possible. Itís like a dream you can kinda remember. You also have to be at least a little familiar with Catholic theology and Greek mythology to get what Wolfe is trying to say with some of it. I think youíre meant to be confused on a lot of things after your first reading.

You do realize Shadow and Claw is just the first half, right? And Urth of the New Sun will clear up a ton of your questions too. Itís trippy, though. So was TBotNS but Urth is like Wolfe dropped way too much acid.

Last edited by ShiftyEyedWaterboy; 12-30-2017 at 11:19 AM..
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #1487
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I just finished it as well and it literally may be my new favorite fantasy series. I am taking a break before the next trilogy but I am excited. The first 1/4 or 1/3 of the first book was a chore but after I got going I loved it. Had to do a little rereading of some sections but it had just everything.
Glad to hear you liked it so much man. Itís my favorite as well now. Long Sun is a bit different. Itís a bit more of a traditional sci fi story and it lacks a lot of what I loved about New Sun. That said itís worth it to get to Short Sun. Hands down the most beautiful profoundly sad series Iíve ever read. I love it even more than New Sun. Probably the best thing Wolfe has written. Long Sun is necessary first, though.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #1488
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Got any key takeaways I should have picked up on or anything like that? When I was done it was like, I feel like there were two stories there simultaneously and I completely missed one.
Some of this you may have picked up on:

1. Severian is the conciliator. Not a reincarnation or anything but the exact same person.

2. The claw has no power. Itís all Severian. He brings Triskele back to life at the the beginning of Shadow.

3. The New Sun isnít just meant literally but refers to Severian.

4. There are alternate timelines where Severian has likely failed to bring the new sun. Thereís a theory that the mausoleum he plays in as a child is his own.

5. Severian never outright lies. He assumes you know certain things and glosses over others. Like his rape of Jolenta.

I highly recommend Urth. It should answer a lot of your questions.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #1489
manchambo
Ring of Famer

I'm a big fan of The Expanse, and just finished Persepolis Rising. These are fun, easy books, all of them.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #1490
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Default NOT A FEEL GOOD BOOK BUT EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD READ IT

This one is not an easy read -- but is nonetheless essential.

Blood on Our Hands: The American Invasion and Destruction of Iraq
by Nicolas J. S. Davies (Author),‎ Ben Ferencz (Foreword)

One of the five star reviews at amazon.com:

Every American should read this book to understand the moral responsibility that we have to apologize to Iraq, pay reparations to Iraqi war victims and rebuild that entire country to restore it to its pre-war condition. Author Davies exposes how America has taken the absolute worst of all of its prior hegemonic behaviors throughout the world and combined them in Iraq to create a perpetual reign of terror for people who did absolutely nothing to provoke or threaten America. This is not a feel good book. It will make you feel ashamed as an American and want to see something done to make amends for America's criminal treatment of innocent Iraqi people.
Attached Images

mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #1491
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Saw a trailer for an upcoming movie called Annihilation. Looked interesting. Trailer said it was based on a best-selling novel and it had a ton of good reviews, so I gave it a go.

Finished it last night and I want my money back.

I'll still probably end up seeing the movie as, based on the trailer at least, it doesn't look like it's going to follow the book AT ALL. It's usually not the case that the movie is better than the book, but I really hope it will be this time.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #1492
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Saw a trailer for an upcoming movie called Annihilation. Looked interesting. Trailer said it was based on a best-selling novel and it had a ton of good reviews, so I gave it a go.

Finished it last night and I want my money back.

I'll still probably end up seeing the movie as, based on the trailer at least, it doesn't look like it's going to follow the book AT ALL. It's usually not the case that the movie is better than the book, but I really hope it will be this time.
I thought the trailer looked pretty interesting...but it is staring Natalie Portman so that means probably not that great.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #1493
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure is an Option for VJ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Penrose

I picked up a bunch of Graham Greene's books at the Library book sale a year ago and had tried to read the Power and the Glory but couldn't get into it. Was looking for a book and pulled "Our Man In Havanna" out of the pile and can't put it down. I think I have seen parts of the movie with Alec Guiness but lucky for me I don't remember enough to spoil the read.

I didn't realize he wrote The Third Man so I thought of reading that next. Will be hard to get the movie out of my head when I read that one though.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #1494
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

The trailer for the new Peter Jackson movie looked interesting so I gave the book a whirl. It was ok, I love post apocalyptic stories so this checked that box but the character development was soft. I will probably give the next one in the series a try.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #1495
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post

The trailer for the new Peter Jackson movie looked interesting so I gave the book a whirl. It was ok, I love post apocalyptic stories so this checked that box but the character development was soft. I will probably give the next one in the series a try.
Same here. I'll give this one a shot to scratch the itch. Let me know if you find any good ones
Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #1496
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Same here. I'll give this one a shot to scratch the itch. Let me know if you find any good ones
The Partials series by Dan Wells is a pretty good post apocalyptic series
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #1497
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Glad to hear you liked it so much man. Itís my favorite as well now. Long Sun is a bit different. Itís a bit more of a traditional sci fi story and it lacks a lot of what I loved about New Sun. That said itís worth it to get to Short Sun. Hands down the most beautiful profoundly sad series Iíve ever read. I love it even more than New Sun. Probably the best thing Wolfe has written. Long Sun is necessary first, though.
So Urth of the New Sun...did it really just end that way?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #1498
GobBluth
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Extreme Ownership

Life changing
GobBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #1499
Rohirrim
Partisan

"Push forward."

Really great book. I highly recommend it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote