The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #1501
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you're a basketball fan you'll enjoy this one.

Loose Balls by Terry Pluto

Quote:
What do Julius Erving, Larry Brown, Moses Malone, Bob Costas, the Indiana Pacers, the San Antonio Spurs and the Slam Dunk Contest have in common? They all got their professional starts in the American Basketball Association.

The NBA may have won the financial battle, but the ABA won the artistic war. With its stress on wide-open individual play, the adoption of the 3-point shot and pressing defense, and the encouragement of flashy moves and flying dunks, today's NBA is still—decades later —just the ABA without the red, white and blue ball.

Loose Balls is, after all these years, the definitive and most widely respected history of the ABA. It's a wild ride through some of the wackiest, funniest, strangest times ever to hit pro sports—told entirely through the (often incredible) words of those who played, wrote and connived their way through the league's nine seasons.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #1502
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post

The trailer for the new Peter Jackson movie looked interesting so I gave the book a whirl. It was ok, I love post apocalyptic stories so this checked that box but the character development was soft. I will probably give the next one in the series a try.
First book was pretty bad. It was like the author didn't know if he wanted to keep light or go darker. I think the second book is better so far
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #1503
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner
byDaniel Ellsberg

https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Mach...s=dan+ellsberg

my five-star review posted at Amazon...

Dan Ellsberg labored for more than 40 years on this authoritative book about US nuclear policy. His status as Rand analyst gave him unique access to the documents and people at the heart of the US nuclear establishment. In the Doomsday Machine, Ellsberg reconstructs a detailed summary of what went down, a story so scary it is guaranteed to stand your hair on end. His personal account of the Cuban missile crisis alone is worth the price of admission.

But our national predicament is much worse than what Ellsberg describes; because, today, Americans also live under the thumb of the surveillance regime described by NSA whistleblowers Bill Binney and Ed Snowden. Moreover, given the corporate media consolidation allowed by Bill Clinton in the 1990s, Americans have become the most propagandized people on earth. In 2018, we suffer under a network lockdown, assailed by 24 X 7 right-think.

But things are worse still!

Ultimately, I found myself disagreeing with Ellsberg that ordinary people, good people, are at the root of this story. Ellsberg hardly mentions the 9/11 attacks in his book. Today, we know that the plane impacts and fires cannot explain the multiple collapses at ground zero on that fateful day. The conclusion is inescapable that explosives were used to bring down the World Trade Center: a diabolical inside-job executed in broad daylight to traumatize the American people, make us surrender our civil liberties here at home, and accept as inevitable the expansion of US military power to the far reaches of the planet. The men responsible for this obscene crime were neither ordinary nor good. No, they were traitors, and they still walk among us. Who knows, even now, they may be planning bigger crimes...

This is our collective nightmare and it will only be set right by bringing the men responsible for 9/11 to justice, ending the wars, and restoring the US Constitution.
Attached Images

mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:51 AM   #1504
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

This is the face of boozy delusion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner
byDaniel Ellsberg

https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Mach...s=dan+ellsberg

my five-star review posted at Amazon...

Dan Ellsberg labored for more than 40 years on this authoritative book about US nuclear policy. His status as Rand analyst gave him unique access to the documents and people at the heart of the US nuclear establishment. In the Doomsday Machine, Ellsberg reconstructs a detailed summary of what went down, a story so scary it is guaranteed to stand your hair on end. His personal account of the Cuban missile crisis alone is worth the price of admission.

But our national predicament is much worse than what Ellsberg describes; because, today, Americans also live under the thumb of the surveillance regime described by NSA whistleblowers Bill Binney and Ed Snowden. Moreover, given the corporate media consolidation allowed by Bill Clinton in the 1990s, Americans have become the most propagandized people on earth. In 2018, we suffer under a network lockdown, assailed by 24 X 7 right-think.

But things are worse still!

Ultimately, I found myself disagreeing with Ellsberg that ordinary people, good people, are at the root of this story. Ellsberg hardly mentions the 9/11 attacks in his book. Today, we know that the plane impacts and fires cannot explain the multiple collapses at ground zero on that fateful day. The conclusion is inescapable that explosives were used to bring down the World Trade Center: a diabolical inside-job executed in broad daylight to traumatize the American people, make us surrender our civil liberties here at home, and accept as inevitable the expansion of US military power to the far reaches of the planet. The men responsible for this obscene crime were neither ordinary nor good. No, they were traitors, and they still walk among us. Who knows, even now, they may be planning bigger crimes...

This is our collective nightmare and it will only be set right by bringing the men responsible for 9/11 to justice, ending the wars, and restoring the US Constitution.
Wow...well written.

I just can't believe that many people could be involved with the inside job (has to be 100 minimum) and nothing come out. Impossible.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:52 AM   #1505
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

This is the face of boozy delusion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
If you're a basketball fan you'll enjoy this one.

Loose Balls by Terry Pluto
Thanks for reminding me about this one.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 AM   #1506
TheCoachBear
College Coach

Scout

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Janovich

Two by Ryan Holiday: “The Obstacle is the Way” & “Ego is the Enemy”
TheCoachBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #1507
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Default this is a must read for every American

The 2001 Anthrax Deception: The Case for a Domestic Conspiracy

https://www.amazon.com/2001-Anthrax-...hrax+deception
by Graeme MacQueen , 2014
October 15, 2014

In his book, 9/11 researcher Graeme MacQueen argues convincingly that the 2001 anthrax attacks were staged by members of the US Deep State -- or shadow government.

He also shows beyond any doubt that the anthrax attacks were a component of the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Notice what this means: 9/11 was self-inflicted wound -- a false flag operation staged to generate support here in the US for a vast expansion of US military power around the world, especially in the Mideast.

The big question is whether we can bring the perpetrators to justice BEFORE they blow up the world.
Attached Images

Last edited by mhgaffney; 03-29-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Old 03-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #1508
broncolife
Nut Hugger Detector

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andy Janovich

Listening to the Gentlemen Bastards right now. I enjoyed the first two books but the 3rd has been disappointing so far.

Last edited by broncolife; 03-29-2018 at 05:48 PM..
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #1509
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Anyone read the Stormlight Archive books by Brandon Sanderson? I heard they were good but I'm finding the first one very hard to get into.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #1510
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Anyone read the Stormlight Archive books by Brandon Sanderson? I heard they were good but I'm finding the first one very hard to get into.
Read them and loved them. Hang in there, if you are a fan of the fantasy genera it should be right up your alley. Sanderson is my favorite active fantasy author (since punk ass Martin takes forever to finish a book).
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #1511
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Read them and loved them. Hang in there, if you are a fan of the fantasy genera it should be right up your alley. Sanderson is my favorite active fantasy author (since punk ass Martin takes forever to finish a book).
Great to hear, thanks! Yeah I'm a big fan of his other stuff so I expected to like this.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #1512
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
We've had some Stormlight and Sanderson discussions somewhere in this thread. Nothing earth shattering.

Give yourself some time to get through the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the first book, then it picks up. If you're not enjoying it by then, let us know. I thought the Way of Kings was absolutely fantastic, but I know we all interpret and digest books differently.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #1513
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
We've had some Stormlight and Sanderson discussions somewhere in this thread. Nothing earth shattering.

Give yourself some time to get through the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the first book, then it picks up. If you're not enjoying it by then, let us know. I thought the Way of Kings was absolutely fantastic, but I know we all interpret and digest books differently.
I haven't read anything from Sanderson other than his books finishing the WoT (Loved his story telling). So based on that minimal background, it did take me about a 100 pages to get used to his writing style and if I ever took a break to read something else I would have to adjust again.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #1514
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post

Ok awesome, I'm only about 1/8 of the way in.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #1515
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Default important book -- as far as it goes

American Nuremberg: The U.S. Officials Who Should Stand Trial for Post-9/11 War Crimes

by Rebecca Gordon
Hardcover – April 5, 2016

https://www.amazon.com/American-Nure...ican+nuremberg

here is my three-star review posted at Amazon

I agree with many of the positive comments posted about Rebecca Gordon's important book, American Nuremberg. The author is right to call for a citizen's tribunal to investigate US war crimes. Perhaps I can best hasten the process by pointing out several flaws in the author's book.

Gordon appears to have blinders on when it comes to Israel. She incorrectly states (p 7) that Israel signed the Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT). Israel did not. She mentions (p 74) that the US armed Iraq during the horrible Iraq-Iran war of the 1980s, but fails to mention that the US ALSO armed the other side, Iran. Indeed, it was Israel that handled the arms transfers (See Ari Ben-Menashe's book, Profits of War.) To her credit, Gordon mentions the neocons' Clean Break initiative (p 68) in the late 1990s that called for abandonment of the peace process with the Palestinians and a complete restructuring of the Mideast to favor Israel. Yet, she somehow remains oblivious about the likely connection of such an evil strategy with 9/11. Was it mere coincidence, after 9/11, that seven nations were scheduled for regime change, as Gen. Wesley Clark pointed out in 2002?

The book's greatest weakness is Gordon's tacit acceptance of the official story about the 9/11 attacks. While I agree with her recommendations for accountability about US war crimes after 9/11, conspicuously absent is a call for a REAL investigation of 9/11 itself. In 2018, we know that plane impacts and building fires cannot explain the multiple total collapses of steel-framed towers in New York City on that fateful day. Everything points to the use of explosives, which means that 9/11 was a false flag operation. Let that horrifying thought sink in...
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #1516
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
American Nuremberg: The U.S. Officials Who Should Stand Trial for Post-9/11 War Crimes

by Rebecca Gordon
Hardcover – April 5, 2016

https://www.amazon.com/American-Nure...ican+nuremberg

here is my three-star review posted at Amazon

I agree with many of the positive comments posted about Rebecca Gordon's important book, American Nuremberg. The author is right to call for a citizen's tribunal to investigate US war crimes. Perhaps I can best hasten the process by pointing out several flaws in the author's book.

Gordon appears to have blinders on when it comes to Israel. She incorrectly states (p 7) that Israel signed the Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT). Israel did not. She mentions (p 74) that the US armed Iraq during the horrible Iraq-Iran war of the 1980s, but fails to mention that the US ALSO armed the other side, Iran. Indeed, it was Israel that handled the arms transfers (See Ari Ben-Menashe's book, Profits of War.) To her credit, Gordon mentions the neocons' Clean Break initiative (p 68) in the late 1990s that called for abandonment of the peace process with the Palestinians and a complete restructuring of the Mideast to favor Israel. Yet, she somehow remains oblivious about the likely connection of such an evil strategy with 9/11. Was it mere coincidence, after 9/11, that seven nations were scheduled for regime change, as Gen. Wesley Clark pointed out in 2002?

The book's greatest weakness is Gordon's tacit acceptance of the official story about the 9/11 attacks. While I agree with her recommendations for accountability about US war crimes after 9/11, conspicuously absent is a call for a REAL investigation of 9/11 itself. In 2018, we know that plane impacts and building fires cannot explain the multiple total collapses of steel-framed towers in New York City on that fateful day. Everything points to the use of explosives, which means that 9/11 was a false flag operation. Let that horrifying thought sink in...
Just stop.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #1517
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Just stop.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #1518
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I haven't read anything from Sanderson other than his books finishing the WoT (Loved his story telling). So based on that minimal background, it did take me about a 100 pages to get used to his writing style and if I ever took a break to read something else I would have to adjust again.
If you jump into Stormlight or Mistborn, you might struggle with the first part of the first books. I'd recommend Elantris as the first step into Sanderson books. It is a stand alone that was a fairly easy read.

My first experience with Sanderson was attempting to listen to Mistborn on Audible for a cross country drive with the wife. The narrator seemed boring and the writing was slow and very deliberate. It was very hard to focus on the story while cruising across Kansas. She gave up, but I finished. When I got through that first audible book, I couldn't wait to pick up the sequel.

To Wheel of Time - Sanderson really did an excellent Job of picking up Robert Jordan's voice.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #1519
Eldorado
2014-2015 OM ATS champion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemison.

Very Zelazny-eske.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #1520
broncolife
Nut Hugger Detector

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andy Janovich

Finished the Trysmoon audible books last week. I liked them. Just finished Kings of the wyld audible book today. Loved it. Trying to decide which fantasy book to do next
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #1521
broncolife
Nut Hugger Detector

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andy Janovich

I just listened to Expeditionary Force series. Loved it and laughed a lot. R.C. Bray did a awesome job narrating. Books alright in the beginning but becomes great when the character Skippy appears.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #1522
broncolife
Nut Hugger Detector

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andy Janovich

Just listened to all five books of Chronicles of the black gate on Youtube. I loved it.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #1523
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I found Blink by Malcom Gladwell in the Library book sale. It was an interesting read. Mostly about how our split second decisions are made, worth the read. Plus it was signed.

My veteran father in-law gave me a book called Soldat about a German soldier who fought in WWII. I thought he pulled a lot of punches but it was still interesting to read from the other side.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #1524
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Reading the Old Man's War series from Scalzi. Brilliant
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #1525
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960