The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #101
wolf754life
MACHINE GUN KELLY

KELLY in 2018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#KELLYREDEEMED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Man, I am an admitted homer, but I have to wonder what games you watched last year. From a rotation standpoint, this is easily the best group they've had since 2009. It might turn out to be the best rotation they've had in their history. And perhaps most importantly, it's deep.

The bullpen was a dumpster fire last year, admittedly. But I have to give it to Bridich. He addressed it in about the only way possible, with what was realistically available. If Holland rebounds like most pitchers who have been having TJ, the bullpen could turn into a plus this season.

And the lineup is easily a top-5 lineup in baseball, in any park.

Defense has gold glovers scattered throughout. I still don't completely get the Desmond signing, only because I don't like his bat at 1B. But I have little doubt that he will excel defensively there, with his athleticism. Catcher worries me, a little. But Wolters showed last year that he's solid behind the plate, and pitchers all seemed to love working with him. (He's just not going to set the world on fire with his bat - but how many teams really have a luxury of a solid-hitting catcher?)

Your comments about Gray are frankly a little bizarre. He was a rookie last year. This year, it will be an upset if he doesn't start on opening day.

I say this team wins 85 games. If things fall right, they might be better than that by a few games. That keeps them in the hunt in September.
85 games, you heard it here first... LMAO
Old 02-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #102
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
85 games, you heard it here first... LMAO
It's good to see the resident imbecile showing up in the baseball forum.

Why don't you provide us with some expertise, imbecile?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #103
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
The Rockies need Jose Quintana.
You don't want the Rockies to pay the asking price for Quintana. Its likely a package that starts with Brendan Rodgers and Riley Pint.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #104
socalorado
Ring of Famer

At least you guys are discussing the pro's and con's and your teams getting and trading pitching prospects.
This is the official statement by the Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim of California of the USA of the Earth of the Milky Way Galaxy, on the pitching position.

"We here at The Angels are going to give season ticket holders and fans in that order the incredible opportunity to be a Major League pitcher! Yes! That's right!
We will be selecting a lucky few from the audience at games to come down, sign a Major League contract, and pitch the entire game!!!"
Sincerely,
Arte Moreno
Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #105
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
You don't want the Rockies to pay the asking price for Quintana. Its likely a package that starts with Brendan Rodgers and Riley Pint.
On the contrary, I want to see the Rockies gut their system for Quintana.

I'm a White Sox fan
Old 02-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #106
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
On the contrary, I want to see the Rockies gut their system for Quintana.

I'm a White Sox fan
Noted. I'm actually a Braves fan. So, I'm largely indifferent. If anything, I kind of want the Nationals to blow their remaining prospects on Quintana in an attempt to go all in for their remaining Harper years, then be left high and dry with a barren system when he bolts for free agency and the Braves are ready to be competitive again.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #107
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rule

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Man, I am an admitted homer, but I have to wonder what games you watched last year. From a rotation standpoint, this is easily the best group they've had since 2009. It might turn out to be the best rotation they've had in their history. And perhaps most importantly, it's deep.

The bullpen was a dumpster fire last year, admittedly. But I have to give it to Bridich. He addressed it in about the only way possible, with what was realistically available. If Holland rebounds like most pitchers who have been having TJ, the bullpen could turn into a plus this season.

And the lineup is easily a top-5 lineup in baseball, in any park.

Defense has gold glovers scattered throughout. I still don't completely get the Desmond signing, only because I don't like his bat at 1B. But I have little doubt that he will excel defensively there, with his athleticism. Catcher worries me, a little. But Wolters showed last year that he's solid behind the plate, and pitchers all seemed to love working with him. (He's just not going to set the world on fire with his bat - but how many teams really have a luxury of a solid-hitting catcher?)

Your comments about Gray are frankly a little bizarre. He was a rookie last year. This year, it will be an upset if he doesn't start on opening day.

I say this team wins 85 games. If things fall right, they might be better than that by a few games. That keeps them in the hunt in September.
Don't get me wrong I would love to see the rockies turn it around. but this pitching staff is pretty bad from the bullpen to the starters. You do not rank 28th in ERA because you had a few bad signings in the bullpen.

Gray is a bust so far. He has pitched 2 years and although he has very good stuff has some kind of mental problem. He lets the game get to him and honestly projects to be a reliever and with the right coaching could be a pretty good closer with that fastball. But a 4.61 ERA is not going to cut it and unless Gray can gain some control and deal with his mental demons will be lucky to pitch even in the low 4.00 ERA range. The main reason Gray cannot put up good numbers is because he does not last beyond the 5 - 6 inning. He is borderline starter WAR and projects to be a #5 on most MLB teams (he may not be a starter for long if he cannot pitch past the 5th - 6th inning)

Jeff Birdich is one of the most incompetent GMs I have ever seen. He raised the fences last year because he or someone calculated this would save .0015 runs (not accurate but some really fractional miniscule amount). This is just simply retarded. The reality is if true the rockies obviously also would be penalized and they were. Rather, run production at Coors field is due to the largest outfield in baseball and those vast alleys need to be covered by speed not to mention need better pitchers to get hitters from hitting balls there. Birdich wasted a ton of money on Reyes and botched the tulo trade getting nothing. Birdich also signed that phillies pitcher who everybody in baseball knew was done and paid him 5 - 6 million to be one of the worst starters in all of baseball. And lastly, Birdich signed a bunch of bullpen pitchers that nobody that keeps up with baseball would have signed they all were past their prime and he gave them top money (overpaid). This GM is clueless and learning on the job but is really stupid.

The rockies starting pitching has 3/5 starters that have a starting WAR value. Of those 3 one is highly injury prone (chatwood) and really even healthy has to prove he can be good with a full season's work.

Chad Bettis is terrible, just terrible. He is a fan favorite and only God knows why. He is a 5.00 ERA over 4 years and why would we think anything changes? 4.79 ERA last year and he got a drubbing quite a few times. His stuff is nothing special and his best quality is throwing strikes. Chad is not one of the 3 starter value players.

Anderson is promising but he is still very young and we have to see more. He is a WAR starter value.

Finally, the rockies hate to pay for pitching and they have folks in the organization that still are bitter because of the hampton deal. But when you have a run-friendly ballpark you need to focus on pitching and not hitting. Its a simply economic principle but the rockies will produce hitters via their ballpark and average hitters will have higher batting averages and thus the rockies can trade these guys for pitchers - you export that which you produce most efficiently and import what you do not (in this case pitching).

The rockies just need to get rid of every slugger outside of Arenado and DJ and get guys that play defense well, run the bases and work the count. The rockies need speed demons in the outfield to close the gap on those large alleys in Coors field. And the rockies would do well to spend 80% of their cap on pitching. Remember, average players become above average at Coors so these guys can be procured, cheaply.

I see a sub .500 year. I would say 8 - 10 games below .500. I called this last year as well when folks were thinking highly of Gray and the other pitchers that cannot seem to get below a 4.50 ERA. Its a rinse and repeat approach by the rockies organization. Sell beer and hope the prospects turn around. But you will not compete if the team ERA is 4.91 despite having a top 5 run producing offense.

Did I mention I sent my resume to the rockies and told them I would be GM for half the minimum? I really do love baseball and would put all my money on doing a better job than what they have now. And I would be cheaper and I have more education than Birdich - and probably been a baseball fan longer.

Last edited by Coldcity76; 02-03-2017 at 06:16 PM..
Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #108
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
The Rockies need Jose Quintana.
Pimpin' your pitcher out to Colorado because Texas and New York won't play ball.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #109
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Pimpin' your pitcher out to Colorado because Texas and New York won't play ball.
I think something gets done in the next week since spring training starts in mid-February.

If I were to guess, I'd say Houston.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 02-03-2017 at 11:25 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #110
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Roommate: Hey man, you're leaving for Spring Training in 2 weeks! So exciting!<br>Me: (Game Face) <a href="https://t.co/6cUbxovERZ">pic.twitter.com/6cUbxovERZ</a></p>&mdash; Noah Syndergaard (@Noahsyndergaard) <a href="https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/825041180740116481">January 27, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #111
balero
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think something gets done in the next week since spring training starts in mid-February.

If I were to guess, I'd say Houston.
The Astros just got two additional draft picks from St. Louis so they're emboldened to give up more at this point.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #112
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
The Astros just got two additional draft picks from St. Louis so they're emboldened to give up more at this point.
Yeah they rejected our first demand. I don't think they will let go of Musgrove. But maybe we can get Tucker, Martes, Fisher and Reed. The latter's stock is pretty low and he could turn out just fine in awhile. I'd like to get him as the 4th piece.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #113
balero
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nationals, White Sox Still Discussing David Robertson Trade
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...son-trade.html
Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #114
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

The one saving grace for me today, in the middle of hell on Earth surrounded by Pats fans......

It's TRUCK DAY!

http://www.overthemonster.com/2017/2...-boston-begins
Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #115
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
Don't get me wrong I would love to see the rockies turn it around. but this pitching staff is pretty bad from the bullpen to the starters. You do not rank 28th in ERA because you had a few bad signings in the bullpen.

Gray is a bust so far. He has pitched 2 years and although he has very good stuff has some kind of mental problem. He lets the game get to him and honestly projects to be a reliever and with the right coaching could be a pretty good closer with that fastball. But a 4.61 ERA is not going to cut it and unless Gray can gain some control and deal with his mental demons will be lucky to pitch even in the low 4.00 ERA range. The main reason Gray cannot put up good numbers is because he does not last beyond the 5 - 6 inning. He is borderline starter WAR and projects to be a #5 on most MLB teams (he may not be a starter for long if he cannot pitch past the 5th - 6th inning)

Jeff Birdich is one of the most incompetent GMs I have ever seen. He raised the fences last year because he or someone calculated this would save .0015 runs (not accurate but some really fractional miniscule amount). This is just simply retarded. The reality is if true the rockies obviously also would be penalized and they were. Rather, run production at Coors field is due to the largest outfield in baseball and those vast alleys need to be covered by speed not to mention need better pitchers to get hitters from hitting balls there. Birdich wasted a ton of money on Reyes and botched the tulo trade getting nothing. Birdich also signed that phillies pitcher who everybody in baseball knew was done and paid him 5 - 6 million to be one of the worst starters in all of baseball. And lastly, Birdich signed a bunch of bullpen pitchers that nobody that keeps up with baseball would have signed they all were past their prime and he gave them top money (overpaid). This GM is clueless and learning on the job but is really stupid.

The rockies starting pitching has 3/5 starters that have a starting WAR value. Of those 3 one is highly injury prone (chatwood) and really even healthy has to prove he can be good with a full season's work.

Chad Bettis is terrible, just terrible. He is a fan favorite and only God knows why. He is a 5.00 ERA over 4 years and why would we think anything changes? 4.79 ERA last year and he got a drubbing quite a few times. His stuff is nothing special and his best quality is throwing strikes. Chad is not one of the 3 starter value players.

Anderson is promising but he is still very young and we have to see more. He is a WAR starter value.

Finally, the rockies hate to pay for pitching and they have folks in the organization that still are bitter because of the hampton deal. But when you have a run-friendly ballpark you need to focus on pitching and not hitting. Its a simply economic principle but the rockies will produce hitters via their ballpark and average hitters will have higher batting averages and thus the rockies can trade these guys for pitchers - you export that which you produce most efficiently and import what you do not (in this case pitching).

The rockies just need to get rid of every slugger outside of Arenado and DJ and get guys that play defense well, run the bases and work the count. The rockies need speed demons in the outfield to close the gap on those large alleys in Coors field. And the rockies would do well to spend 80% of their cap on pitching. Remember, average players become above average at Coors so these guys can be procured, cheaply.

I see a sub .500 year. I would say 8 - 10 games below .500. I called this last year as well when folks were thinking highly of Gray and the other pitchers that cannot seem to get below a 4.50 ERA. Its a rinse and repeat approach by the rockies organization. Sell beer and hope the prospects turn around. But you will not compete if the team ERA is 4.91 despite having a top 5 run producing offense.

Did I mention I sent my resume to the rockies and told them I would be GM for half the minimum? I really do love baseball and would put all my money on doing a better job than what they have now. And I would be cheaper and I have more education than Birdich - and probably been a baseball fan longer.

You have more than a Harvard education?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #116
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Nationals, White Sox Still Discussing David Robertson Trade
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...son-trade.html
It hasn't gone anywhere because Hahn wants Robles and after the Eaton trade, WSH won't do it.

Maybe if we ate the whole salary they might do it. Otherwise, I'd take Severino and Stevenson.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #117
balero
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yankees Interested In Chris Carter
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...is-carter.html
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #118
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Also interested in Travis Wood. Wood makes sense, Carter does not.
We already have a ton of 1B/LF/DH types on the roster and in the minors.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #119
balero
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Also interested in Travis Wood. Wood makes sense, Carter does not.
We already have a ton of 1B/LF/DH types on the roster and in the minors.
Very odd indeed why they would go this route.

Yankees, Chris Carter Agree To One-Year Deal
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...year-deal.html
Old 02-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #120
balero
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nationals Acquire Enny Romero From Rays
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...from-rays.html
Old 02-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #121
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

New strike zone coming??

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ng-strike-zone
Old 02-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #122
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I guess that means we are holding onto Robertson till the deadline since WSH added to their pen.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #123
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Very odd indeed why they would go this route.

Yankees, Chris Carter Agree To One-Year Deal
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...year-deal.html
This signing makes no sense at all without trading Ellsbury or Gardner.

You already have Greg Bird, Tyler Austin, Matt Holliday, Brett Gardner. Now you add Carter who wants starter at bats.

In the OF you have Gardner, Ellsbury, Judge, Hicks all fighting for AB's, then you have Frazier waiting in the wings along with Fowler, Cave and others.

I cannot for the life of me understand this move.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #124
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I cannot for the life of me understand this move.
Quote:
The Yankees have a 37-year-old designated hitter (Matt Holliday) and a young unproven first baseman coming back from major shoulder surgery (Greg Bird). The at-bats will be there and they’re paying him middle reliever money*. ...

* The Rangers gave Mike Napoli a one-year contract worth $8.5M yesterday. How, exactly, is he $5M better than Carter?
http://riveraveblues.com/2017/02/tho...igning-149596/
Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #125
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Carter is a right-handed hitter who socked 41 dingers a year ago and has averaged 38 home runs per 162 games over the last three seasons. He hit .224/.338/.537 (126 wRC+) against lefties last season and .222/.335/.486 (123 wRC+) against lefties over the last three seasons. The following left-handed starters pitch for rival AL East teams: J.A. Happ, Francisco Liriano, Wade Miley, Drew Pomeranz, David Price, Eduardo Rodriguez, Chris Sale, and Blake Snell. Yeah. The extra power right-handed bat is going to come in handy. Especially since Carter is a guy who can go the other way and take advantage of the short porch.
Closed Thread