The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #51
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Street Bomber View Post
The arrogance of Red Sox fans is unreal.

I don't hear Sox fans ever complain about trading Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett. That's because Boston won the World Series with Beckett in 2007.

Cole Hamels has a favorable contract and is a value when one considers the $200 million-plus deals that Johnny Cueto and Jordan Zimmermann will command in the offseason.

Blake Swihart is a fine prospect but there's a 50-50 bust rate at the catching position. I think Ryan Hanigan can hold down the fort for one year with his defensive rep until Christian Vasquez is healthy again.

The Sox should pull the trigger. They don't have a No. 1 or No. 2 starter.
Agreed, if the final thing to get it done is Swihart and/or Betts, i'd do it, Boston has ridiculous depth right now.

Hamels is signed for like 4/96 with his option, fairly team-friendly.

And yes, Zimmerman, Cueto and all those other pitchers are gonna cost bank, and a draft pick next winter.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #52
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
They weren't going to trade away Blake Swihart or Mookie Betts for Hamels. What this means they will go with the veteran catchers they brought in and we may see Swihart mid season.
Swihart and Betts are good players but if that and a couple others is all it takes for a proven ace like Hamels, then that deal should be done right now.

I'm not a Red Sox fan but that is hardly an insane offer.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #53
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I can't imagine any set of circumstances whereby I'd root for the Angels.

If they met the Cubs in the World Series - I'd buy a Ryne Sandberg jersey and wear it proudly throughout the series (then burn it).

Screw Arte Moreno. That guy set $450 million on fire when he signed Pujols, Hamilton and Wilson then had the audacity to b**** about payroll inflation. The guy acts like nobody knew about Hamilton's addiction issues when they chucked $125 million at him...voluntarily, mind you.

This is the kind of petulant crap I'd expect from a 4 year old....or Jerry Jones. What a joke of a franchise.
Quit your biotching. I gotta live with Arte, the no talent @$$ clown.
The only thing i got is Mike Trout, the best baseball player in the world.
I guess thats enough.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #54
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
The arrogance of Red Sox fans is unreal.

I don't hear Sox fans ever complain about trading Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett. That's because Boston won the World Series with Beckett in 2007.

Cole Hamels has a favorable contract and is a value when one considers the $200 million-plus deals that Johnny Cueto and Jordan Zimmermann will command in the offseason.

Blake Swihart is a fine prospect but there's a 50-50 bust rate at the catching position. I think Ryan Hanigan can hold down the fort for one year with his defensive rep until Christian Vasquez is healthy again.

The Sox should pull the trigger. They don't have a No. 1 or No. 2 starter.
It's not the fans, but rather how the ownership and front office works. Swihart and Betts are couple of the core player they want to go with in future. Plus they are tied to Sabermetrics and they won't take on that contract.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #55
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I can't imagine any set of circumstances whereby I'd root for the Angels.

If they met the Cubs in the World Series - I'd buy a Ryne Sandberg jersey and wear it proudly throughout the series (then burn it).

Screw Arte Moreno. That guy set $450 million on fire when he signed Pujols, Hamilton and Wilson then had the audacity to b**** about payroll inflation. The guy acts like nobody knew about Hamilton's addiction issues when they chucked $125 million at him...voluntarily, mind you.

This is the kind of petulant crap I'd expect from a 4 year old....or Jerry Jones. What a joke of a franchise.
Look dude, some of us Angels fans question the same contracts you butch about but they are far from a joke franchise and in fact one of the elite franchises in the league. Love to know wh a r your meaning of a joke franchise would be without naming more than half the league with ease before even thinking about the Angels.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #56
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

I don't think the Angels do that well this year. Color me optimistic, but I think the Mariners will be the cream of the AL West this year. It's been a long time coming.

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Old 04-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #57
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I don't think the Angels do that well this year. Color me optimistic, but I think the Mariners will be the cream of the AL West this year. It's been a long time coming.
They have improved but if SoCalorado's favorite player, CA Wilson can pitch like he did just a couple of years ago, he will help a team with good pitching and solid hitters. I don't see the Mariners improve enough to pass up the A's and Angels.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #58
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Look dude, some of us Angels fans question the same contracts you butch about but they are far from a joke franchise and in fact one of the elite franchises in the league. Love to know wh a r your meaning of a joke franchise would be without naming more than half the league with ease before even thinking about the Angels.
I wouldn't go that far. Scioscia is not as good as he once was. Their team is put together in a very unbalanced way.
They have all of the pieces but not all of them fit and as unworldly as Trout is, he can only take them so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
They weren't going to trade away Blake Swihart or Mookie Betts for Hamels. What this means they will go with the veteran catchers they brought in and we may see Swihart mid season.
That will change if they struggle enough. Doubt they sacrifice Hamels for either of those two. They will cave despite their bluster.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #59
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

TeamSwag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly

Quote:
love it.

cant wait to watch the Cards again. Rockies still need a decent rotation, Same story every year....
Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #60
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
They have improved but if SoCalorado's favorite player, CA Wilson can pitch like he did just a couple of years ago, he will help a team with good pitching and solid hitters. I don't see the Mariners improve enough to pass up the A's and Angels.
Almost all the "experts" disagree with you. About 75% of what I have seen have mariners winning the AL West. I think they will have the best pitching staff in baseball, and improved offense greatly with Cruz, Weeks, Ruggiano/Smith. Miller and Zunino will both improve this year too.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #61
GreatBronco16
Ring of Famer

Deadbeat Coach

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Braves trade Kimbrel and Upton to Padres.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...n-diego-padres

I'm boycotting the Braves this year. I can live with sending B.J (Melvin) back to where his brother is at, but perhaps the best closer in the NL and you get a bag of rocks in return?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #62
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Braves trade Kimbrel and Upton to Padres.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...n-diego-padres

I'm boycotting the Braves this year. I can live with sending B.J (Melvin) back to where his brother is at, but perhaps the best closer in the NL and you get a bag of rocks in return?
The Padres better win something this year then! The Braves have reloaded their system with these trades but man they are royally screwing over Freeman.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #63
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
The Mariners have way better pitching than the Angels. It isn't even close. The Mariners have one of the top three rotations in baseball and yes, Oakland is up there too. The Angels have been middle of the pack or towards the end for about four years now. It will take more than Wilson to be able to turn that around.

As far as Seattle goes in re: pitching -- Taijuan Walker is finally going to be in our rotational Top 5 and he had an absolutely awesome spring, perhaps one of the best ever by a pitcher. He is going to be absolutely nasty in the #4 role on the team. Felix is King and Iwakuma is one of the most underrated pitchers in all of baseball. How about James Paxton? Stud. Happ @ a #5 is great for us. Hard to match up for that.

For the Mariners, it will come down to their bats. Will Cruz be able to give some RH power @ DH much needed? Will Seager repeat as good of a performance as last year? Will their platoons @ 1B and SS be successful?

Hopefully Chris Taylor and Brad Miller improve. Taylor was doing great until he got hurt, but he'll be back hopefully by the end of April. I am more worried about Ackley and Austin Jackson being consistent. The Mariners need better averages and OBP from 3-4 of their guys.

It's a shame to see us lose so many close games, but Cruz being added to the line-up really, really helps.

I'm rarely confident in the Mariners, but I think they have the pieces in place to show that they are already a better team than Oakland and I don't think they are already that far behind LA. I don't see LA winning 98 games again this year and I know the Mariners will do better than 87 last year. The AL West was tough last year, but I expect the M's to be able to get to the post-season. I can't think of any great leaps and bounds the A's made to off-set what the Mariners did and keep their one game lead on them from '14.

Draft Picks:

Old 04-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #64
Blake Street Bomber
Ring of Famer

Baseball is a year-round sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Matthew Wisler is ranked by Baseball America as No. 34 best prospect in baseball. I wouldn't call that a bag of rocks.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #65
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm expecting big things out of the White Sox this year.
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #66
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The Mariners have way better pitching than the Angels. It isn't even close. The Mariners have one of the top three rotations in baseball and yes, Oakland is up there too. The Angels have been middle of the pack or towards the end for about four years now. It will take more than Wilson to be able to turn that around.

As far as Seattle goes in re: pitching -- Taijuan Walker is finally going to be in our rotational Top 5 and he had an absolutely awesome spring, perhaps one of the best ever by a pitcher. He is going to be absolutely nasty in the #4 role on the team. Felix is King and Iwakuma is one of the most underrated pitchers in all of baseball. How about James Paxton? Stud. Happ @ a #5 is great for us. Hard to match up for that.

For the Mariners, it will come down to their bats. Will Cruz be able to give some RH power @ DH much needed? Will Seager repeat as good of a performance as last year? Will their platoons @ 1B and SS be successful?

Hopefully Chris Taylor and Brad Miller improve. Taylor was doing great until he got hurt, but he'll be back hopefully by the end of April. I am more worried about Ackley and Austin Jackson being consistent. The Mariners need better averages and OBP from 3-4 of their guys.

It's a shame to see us lose so many close games, but Cruz being added to the line-up really, really helps.

I'm rarely confident in the Mariners, but I think they have the pieces in place to show that they are already a better team than Oakland and I don't think they are already that far behind LA. I don't see LA winning 98 games again this year and I know the Mariners will do better than 87 last year. The AL West was tough last year, but I expect the M's to be able to get to the post-season. I can't think of any great leaps and bounds the A's made to off-set what the Mariners did and keep their one game lead on them from '14.
Walker feels like a walking Cy Young. He scares me he is so talented.
The Mariners need to make a move in the next 3-4 seasons to stabilize the franchise as a contender. That is about how long they have before Cano's deal turns into a albatross.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #67
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Walker feels like a walking Cy Young. He scares me he is so talented.
The Mariners need to make a move in the next 3-4 seasons to stabilize the franchise as a contender. That is about how long they have before Cano's deal turns into a albatross.
Mariners have 4 guys that could be cy young type guys. Felix should have won it last year, Iwakuma was a top canditate 2 years ago, Paxton has been awesome since he came to the Majors (2.66 ERA and 1.13 WHIP) and Walker is probably the best young RH in baseball.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #68
Blake Street Bomber
Ring of Famer

Washington has a better rotation than Seattle even if Walker develops into an ace.

Max Scherzer
Jordan Zimmermann
Stephen Strasburg
Doug Fister
Gio Gonzalez
Tanner Roark

Minors:
Lucas Giolito
Reynaldo Lopez
Erick Fedde
A.J. Cole
Joe Ross
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #69
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Washington has a better rotation than Seattle even if Walker develops into an ace.

Max Scherzer
Jordan Zimmermann
Stephen Strasburg
Doug Fister
Gio Gonzalez
Tanner Roark

Minors:
Lucas Giolito
Reynaldo Lopez
Erick Fedde
A.J. Cole
Joe Ross
Yeah, but they get to face pitchers 2-3 times a game instead of DH which helps their stats. Pretty good top to bottom though. I still have my doubts about Happ.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #70
GreatBronco16
Ring of Famer

Deadbeat Coach

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Matthew Wisler is ranked by Baseball America as No. 34 best prospect in baseball. I wouldn't call that a bag of rocks.
Until he actually does something in the MLB on the lines of Kimbrel, then he's just a bag of rocks.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #71
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Mariners have 4 guys that could be cy young type guys. Felix should have won it last year, Iwakuma was a top canditate 2 years ago, Paxton has been awesome since he came to the Majors (2.66 ERA and 1.13 WHIP) and Walker is probably the best young RH in baseball.
I need the Yankees to start developing some elite starting pitching. We churn out relievers like mad but our SP is suspect.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #72
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:

Max Scherzer
Jordan Zimmermann
Stephen Strasburg
Doug Fister
Gio Gonzalez
Tanner Roark

Minors:
Lucas Giolito
Reynaldo Lopez
Erick Fedde
A.J. Cole
Joe Ross
Like I said, Seattle has a Top 3 rotation in baseball. The other team outside Oakland who I didn't mention was Washington, and that is solidified because Scherzer is with them. It's a very good lineup, but I think Seattle has a lot more potential and doesn't get the luxury of facing pitchers for AB's.

Felix is better than Scherzer is. Yes, there is a difference in the W-L totals, but the run support for Felix has been awful. By far the best pitcher in baseball. Edge goes to Felix, and I'm not dissing Scherzer at all. Put Felix on a team who has run support and he is a 20 game winner consistently because his stuff is that good.

Zimmerman a very good pitcher. He is a better pitcher than Paxton now, but I believe Paxton has the ability to be just as good, if not better than Zimmerman. This will be his first year where he will get the full slot of games. I expect him to net 15 wins. Excited to see how he does.

Strausburg is very talented, but has had some issues the past two years. Iwakuma is no slouch, wasn't as good as he was in 2013, but is probably for slot, one of the best #3's in baseball, but he's a legit #2 guy on most teams.

Doug Fister used to be in Seattle. Now that he has been on two teams that have bats, he has done a lot better, but he isn't that great. Walker's talent is absolutely superior and he'll be the better player easily. There isn't even a competition on who is the better player there.

Gonzalez > Happ -- Definitely, but I don't mind getting Happ for who we had and working as a #5 is a solid get. Not sure how well he will work out, but we will see.

Roark is going to bullpen duty, which helps the National's greatly. Seattle has a good bullpen too, and some quality pitching prospects on the way as well and others who can move up to that #5 role if Happ doesn't end up working out. Elias and Hultzen just need to get healthy. Diaz will likely replace someone like Iwakuma who could be traded if the M's end up needing some bat help down the road, perhaps in a year or so. The M's farm system on pitching needs work, but they have some #2/#3 guys there as well.

I like the youth and upside with Paxton, Walker, etc. Felix is still young. With the added bats, hopefully the run support can help aid in a few net wins for each pitcher. I expect 90+ wins for Seattle this year, I think 95 is easily obtainable. It depends on their bats, but thank god they got Vlad Guerrero's nephew and a handful of other good hitters coming up within a year or two. I am hoping they make a move and acquire a bat (probably OF) if Ackley/Jackson/RF's **** the bed or someone at 1B.

Draft Picks:

Last edited by Requiem; 04-05-2015 at 07:30 PM..
Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #73
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
I need the Yankees to start developing some elite starting pitching. We churn out relievers like mad but our SP is suspect.
How is Michael Pineda doing? Still injured? Montero has been a ****bag since we traded for him. Came in this spring training in great shape, but I believe he's back in Tacoma. I wish Pineda the best. He has great potential. Wish we never traded for Montero he sucks.

Draft Picks:

Old 04-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #74
Blake Street Bomber
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Luis Severino
Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #75
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
They got him, their hitting prospect, and a top 41 pick, while unloading Upton's contract.

Pretty solid deal.

Kimbrel is awesome but im not sure if the last 2-3 years and this year/next are the best he'll ever be.
Closed Thread