The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #851
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,816
Default

13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush's Watch Without a Peep from Fox News

The Republican inquisition over the attacks against Americans in Benghazi has never really gone away, but it appears as though in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing and the House Oversight Committee's Benghazi hearings this week there are renewed psycho-histrionics over Benghazi.

Lindsey Graham and Fox News Channel in particular are each crapping their cages over new allegations from an alleged whistleblower, while they continue to deal in previously debunked falsehoods about the sequence of events during and following the attacks. Fox News is predictably helming the biggest raft of hooey on the situation -- turning its attention to Hillary Clinton in an abundantly obvious early move to stymie her presidential run before it even begins.

So I thought I'd revisit some territory I covered back in October as a bit of a refresher -- especially since it appears as if no one, including and especially the traditional press, intends to ask any of these obnoxious, opportunistic liars about why they're so obsessed by this one attack yet they entirely ignored the dozen-plus consulate/embassy attacks that occurred when George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were allegedly "keeping us safe."

The Benghazi attacks (the consulate and the CIA compound) are absolutely not unprecedented even though they're being treated that way by Republicans who are deliberately ignoring anything that happened prior to Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009.

January 22, 2002. Calcutta, India. Gunmen associated with Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami attack the U.S. Consulate. Five people are killed.

June 14, 2002. Karachi, Pakistan. Suicide bomber connected with al Qaeda attacks the U.S. Consulate, killing 12 and injuring 51.

October 12, 2002. Denpasar, Indonesia. U.S. diplomatic offices bombed as part of a string of "Bali Bombings." No fatalities.

February 28, 2003. Islamabad, Pakistan. Several gunmen fire upon the U.S. Embassy. Two people are killed.

May 12, 2003. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Armed al Qaeda terrorists storm the diplomatic compound, killing 36 people including nine Americans. The assailants committed suicide by detonating a truck bomb.

July 30, 2004. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. A suicide bomber from the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan attacks the U.S. Embassy, killing two people.

December 6, 2004. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Al Qaeda terrorists storm the U.S. Consulate and occupy the perimeter wall. Nine people are killed.

March 2, 2006. Karachi, Pakistan again. Suicide bomber attacks the U.S. Consulate killing four people, including U.S. diplomat David Foy who was directly targeted by the attackers. (I wonder if Lindsey Graham or Fox News would even recognize the name "David Foy." This is the third Karachi terrorist attack in four years on what's considered American soil.)

September 12, 2006. Damascus, Syria. Four armed gunmen shouting "Allahu akbar" storm the U.S. Embassy using grenades, automatic weapons, a car bomb and a truck bomb. Four people are killed, 13 are wounded.

January 12, 2007. Athens, Greece. Members of a Greek terrorist group called the Revolutionary Struggle fire a rocket-propelled grenade at the U.S. Embassy. No fatalities.

March 18, 2008. Sana'a, Yemen. Members of the al-Qaeda-linked Islamic Jihad of Yemen fire a mortar at the U.S. Embassy. The shot misses the embassy, but hits nearby school killing two.

July 9, 2008. Istanbul, Turkey. Four armed terrorists attack the U.S. Consulate. Six people are killed.

September 17, 2008. Sana'a, Yemen. Terrorists dressed as military officials attack the U.S. Embassy with an arsenal of weapons including RPGs and detonate two car bombs. Sixteen people are killed, including an American student and her husband (they had been married for three weeks when the attack occurred). This is the second attack on this embassy in seven months.

2013-05-09-benghazi_gate_bush_era_320.jpgA few observations about this timeline. My initial list was quoted from an article on the Daily Kos which actually contained several errors and only 11 attacks (the above timeline contains all 13 attacks). Also, my list above doesn't include the numerous and fatal attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad during the Iraq war -- a war that was vocally supported by Lindsey Graham, John McCain and Fox News Channel.

Speaking of Graham, I ran a search on each attack along with the name "Lindsey Graham" in the hopes of discovering that Graham had perhaps commented about the attacks or raised some questions about why the administration didn't prevent the attacks or respond accordingly to prevent additional embassy attacks. No results. Of course. Now, this could mean the search wasn't exhaustive enough. But one thing's for sure: neither Graham nor any of his cohorts launched a crusade against the Bush administration and the State Department in any of those cases -- no one did, including the congressional Democrats, by the way.

This leads us to the ultimate point here. Not only have numerous sources previously debunked the Benghazi information being peddled by the Republicans and Fox News (for example, contrary to what the Republicans are saying, yes, reinforcements did in fact arrive before the attack on the CIA compound), but none of these people raised a single word of protest when, for example, American embassies in Yemen and Pakistan were attacked numerous times. Why didn't the Bush administration do something to secure the compounds after the first attacks? Why didn't he provide additional security?

Where was your inquest after the Karachi attacks, Mr. Graham? Where were you after the Sana'a attacks, Mr. Hannity? What about all of the embassy attacks in Iraq that I didn't even list here, Mr. McCain? Do you realize how many people died in attacks on U.S. embassies and consulates when Bush was supposedly keeping us safe, Mr. Ailes? Just once I'd like to hear David Gregory or George Stephanopoulos or Wolf Blitzer ask a Republican member of Congress about the above timeline and why they said nothing at the time of each attack. Just once.

Nearly every accusation being issued about Benghazi could've been raised about the Bush-era attacks, and yet these self-proclaimed truth-seekers refused to, in their words, undermine the commander-in-chief while troops were in harm's way (a line they repeated over and over again during those years).

So we're only left to conclude the obvious. The investigations and accusations and conspiracy theories are entirely motivated by politics and a strategy to escalate this to an impeachment trial. In doing so, the Republicans have the opportunity not only to crush the president's second term, but also to sabotage the potential for a Hillary Clinton presidency.

Even if they never arrive at that goal, they have in their possession a cudgel formed of horse**** -- a means of flogging the current administration with the singularly effective Republican marketing/noise machine, including the conservative entertainment complex. Very seldom does this machine fail to revise history and distort the truth. Ultimately, they don't even need a full-blown impeachment proceeding when they have a population of way too many truthers and automatons who take all of these lies at face value -- not to mention dubiously sourced chunks of "truth" proffered by radio and cable news conspiracy theorists who, if nothing else, are masters at telling angry conservatives precisely what they want to hear: that the probably-Muslim president is weak on terrorism. And so they'll keep repeating "Benghazi-Gate, Benghazi-Gate, Benghazi-Gate!" without any regard for history or reality. Like always.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ce...b_3246847.html
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #852
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush's Watch Without a Peep from Fox News

The Republican inquisition over the attacks against Americans in Benghazi has never really gone away, but it appears as though in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing and the House Oversight Committee's Benghazi hearings this week there are renewed psycho-histrionics over Benghazi.

Lindsey Graham and Fox News Channel in particular are each crapping their cages over new allegations from an alleged whistleblower, while they continue to deal in previously debunked falsehoods about the sequence of events during and following the attacks. Fox News is predictably helming the biggest raft of hooey on the situation -- turning its attention to Hillary Clinton in an abundantly obvious early move to stymie her presidential run before it even begins.

So I thought I'd revisit some territory I covered back in October as a bit of a refresher -- especially since it appears as if no one, including and especially the traditional press, intends to ask any of these obnoxious, opportunistic liars about why they're so obsessed by this one attack yet they entirely ignored the dozen-plus consulate/embassy attacks that occurred when George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were allegedly "keeping us safe."

The Benghazi attacks (the consulate and the CIA compound) are absolutely not unprecedented even though they're being treated that way by Republicans who are deliberately ignoring anything that happened prior to Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009.

January 22, 2002. Calcutta, India. Gunmen associated with Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami attack the U.S. Consulate. Five people are killed.

June 14, 2002. Karachi, Pakistan. Suicide bomber connected with al Qaeda attacks the U.S. Consulate, killing 12 and injuring 51.

October 12, 2002. Denpasar, Indonesia. U.S. diplomatic offices bombed as part of a string of "Bali Bombings." No fatalities.

February 28, 2003. Islamabad, Pakistan. Several gunmen fire upon the U.S. Embassy. Two people are killed.

May 12, 2003. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Armed al Qaeda terrorists storm the diplomatic compound, killing 36 people including nine Americans. The assailants committed suicide by detonating a truck bomb.

July 30, 2004. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. A suicide bomber from the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan attacks the U.S. Embassy, killing two people.

December 6, 2004. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Al Qaeda terrorists storm the U.S. Consulate and occupy the perimeter wall. Nine people are killed.

March 2, 2006. Karachi, Pakistan again. Suicide bomber attacks the U.S. Consulate killing four people, including U.S. diplomat David Foy who was directly targeted by the attackers. (I wonder if Lindsey Graham or Fox News would even recognize the name "David Foy." This is the third Karachi terrorist attack in four years on what's considered American soil.)

September 12, 2006. Damascus, Syria. Four armed gunmen shouting "Allahu akbar" storm the U.S. Embassy using grenades, automatic weapons, a car bomb and a truck bomb. Four people are killed, 13 are wounded.

January 12, 2007. Athens, Greece. Members of a Greek terrorist group called the Revolutionary Struggle fire a rocket-propelled grenade at the U.S. Embassy. No fatalities.

March 18, 2008. Sana'a, Yemen. Members of the al-Qaeda-linked Islamic Jihad of Yemen fire a mortar at the U.S. Embassy. The shot misses the embassy, but hits nearby school killing two.

July 9, 2008. Istanbul, Turkey. Four armed terrorists attack the U.S. Consulate. Six people are killed.

September 17, 2008. Sana'a, Yemen. Terrorists dressed as military officials attack the U.S. Embassy with an arsenal of weapons including RPGs and detonate two car bombs. Sixteen people are killed, including an American student and her husband (they had been married for three weeks when the attack occurred). This is the second attack on this embassy in seven months.

2013-05-09-benghazi_gate_bush_era_320.jpgA few observations about this timeline. My initial list was quoted from an article on the Daily Kos which actually contained several errors and only 11 attacks (the above timeline contains all 13 attacks). Also, my list above doesn't include the numerous and fatal attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad during the Iraq war -- a war that was vocally supported by Lindsey Graham, John McCain and Fox News Channel.

Speaking of Graham, I ran a search on each attack along with the name "Lindsey Graham" in the hopes of discovering that Graham had perhaps commented about the attacks or raised some questions about why the administration didn't prevent the attacks or respond accordingly to prevent additional embassy attacks. No results. Of course. Now, this could mean the search wasn't exhaustive enough. But one thing's for sure: neither Graham nor any of his cohorts launched a crusade against the Bush administration and the State Department in any of those cases -- no one did, including the congressional Democrats, by the way.

This leads us to the ultimate point here. Not only have numerous sources previously debunked the Benghazi information being peddled by the Republicans and Fox News (for example, contrary to what the Republicans are saying, yes, reinforcements did in fact arrive before the attack on the CIA compound), but none of these people raised a single word of protest when, for example, American embassies in Yemen and Pakistan were attacked numerous times. Why didn't the Bush administration do something to secure the compounds after the first attacks? Why didn't he provide additional security?

Where was your inquest after the Karachi attacks, Mr. Graham? Where were you after the Sana'a attacks, Mr. Hannity? What about all of the embassy attacks in Iraq that I didn't even list here, Mr. McCain? Do you realize how many people died in attacks on U.S. embassies and consulates when Bush was supposedly keeping us safe, Mr. Ailes? Just once I'd like to hear David Gregory or George Stephanopoulos or Wolf Blitzer ask a Republican member of Congress about the above timeline and why they said nothing at the time of each attack. Just once.

Nearly every accusation being issued about Benghazi could've been raised about the Bush-era attacks, and yet these self-proclaimed truth-seekers refused to, in their words, undermine the commander-in-chief while troops were in harm's way (a line they repeated over and over again during those years).

So we're only left to conclude the obvious. The investigations and accusations and conspiracy theories are entirely motivated by politics and a strategy to escalate this to an impeachment trial. In doing so, the Republicans have the opportunity not only to crush the president's second term, but also to sabotage the potential for a Hillary Clinton presidency.

Even if they never arrive at that goal, they have in their possession a cudgel formed of horse**** -- a means of flogging the current administration with the singularly effective Republican marketing/noise machine, including the conservative entertainment complex. Very seldom does this machine fail to revise history and distort the truth. Ultimately, they don't even need a full-blown impeachment proceeding when they have a population of way too many truthers and automatons who take all of these lies at face value -- not to mention dubiously sourced chunks of "truth" proffered by radio and cable news conspiracy theorists who, if nothing else, are masters at telling angry conservatives precisely what they want to hear: that the probably-Muslim president is weak on terrorism. And so they'll keep repeating "Benghazi-Gate, Benghazi-Gate, Benghazi-Gate!" without any regard for history or reality. Like always.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ce...b_3246847.html
Non-Americans don't count or Libya=Iraq.

Take your pick.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #853
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Oops, no WMDs, doesn't work for me and there was enough 'chatter' about shaping intelligence to fit an agenda. Curveball comes to mind.
“to underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video, and not a broader failure of policy.”
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #854
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
If true, that would be a damning indictment of the Bush administration's protection of the Saudi's involvement after 911.

Let's hope congress does investigate and release the report's censored pages, in fact, there should be no question that they should.

Also if true, it should put an end to the absurd claims that terrorists didn't attack the US, and all the 'stupid' that goes with that denial. But of course it won't.


Brit still wanted Congressional Investigations of Bush in 2013, 12 years after the fact. Now the case is closed in Libya only days after we discover the White House has been hiding documents from Congress that were only released under Court order.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #855
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post


Brit still wanted Congressional Investigations of Bush in 2013, 12 years after the fact. Now the case is closed in Libya only days after we discover the White House has been hiding documents from Congress that were only released under Court order.
Which part of "If true" didn't you understand??

If it were true, would you oppose an investigation??

My follow up posts:

Quote:
Now that I have looked online in more detail, there is something odd about the timing of this story appearing in the Post.

It has been reported many times over the years and more recently on the IBT site; 6 days ago...http://www.ibtimes.com/911-link-saud...elease-1501202

Bob Graham, mentioned in the story, is interestingly still promoting his novel.

Others reporting the 'story' are an odd mix of right wing and troofer sites.
Quote:
From what I can see, those censored pages have been a story since at least 2003.

The curiosity is why the Post chooses to rerun it now, other than they are a 'tabloid.'

The Post apparently plagiarized or bought their version of the story from the IBT site.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #856
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Which part of "If true" didn't you understand??

If it were true, would you oppose an investigation??

My follow up posts:
You said "if true" it would be a "damning indictment" and suggested Congress should investigate. Because of a claim Michael Moore made.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #857
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
“to underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video, and not a broader failure of policy.”
You're equating the possibility that intelligence information was shaped to justify an invasion with the aftermath of Benghazi?

Really?

Quote:
August Hanning, the former head of German intelligence, said that Curveball, whose real name is Rafed Al Janabi, told the German secret services that he had witnessed the manufacture of chemical and biological weapons.

The information was passed by the Germans to American and British intelligence, along with concerns about its reliability, he said.

Tyler Drumheller, the former head of the CIA in Europe, also claimed that he passed warnings about Curveball's claims up the chain of command, while Mr Hanning said he sent a cable to George Tenet, who was then director of the CIA. Mr Tenet denies receiving the warnings, the programme said.

Joschka Fischer, the former German foreign minister, said US colleagues were warned about the information. However, he told Panorama: "They were not in a state, or a mindset to be warned."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ry-to-say.html
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #858
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
I didn't see Moore's film, but I don't recall seeing any mention in the reviews that he accused the Bush Administration of demolishing the WTCs as the planes hit, or that they had any involvement in orchestrating 911.

Those are the foundations of troofer nonsense.

The call to release the censored pages is another matter. Those pages imply Saudi funding and subsequent cover up by the Bush administration, according to the Post story.

A very different but still a serious accusation.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #859
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You said "if true" it would be a "damning indictment" and suggested Congress should investigate. Because of a claim Michael Moore made.
Again, 'if true' would you favor an investigation or not??

Try answering the question.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #860
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You really are a waste of time.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #861
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Again, 'if true' would you favor an investigation or not??

Try answering the question.
Sure, sure. Congress should investigate something that happened 12+ years ago under a now-powerless former President because Micheal Moore.

Now, since that alleged document hiding/redaction justifies such drastic action, even if long long ago, shouldn't all these hidden Benghazi documents the White House insisted didn't exist see the light of day before you close the case (less than 2 years after the initial incident)
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #862
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Sure, sure. Congress should investigate something that happened 12+ years ago under a now-powerless former President because Micheal Moore.
My posts were in response to Rupert Murdoch's NY Post story, that bastion of liberal reporting.

But if repeating Michael Moore and your peculiar overuse of gives you comfort, knock yourself out.

No, really, knock yourself out!
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #863
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Non-Americans don't count or Libya=Iraq.

Take your pick.
does the number of American casualties count?
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #864
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
My posts were in response to Rupert Murdoch's NY Post story, that bastion of liberal reporting.

But if repeating Michael Moore and your peculiar overuse of gives you comfort, knock yourself out.

No, really, knock yourself out!
So a Murdoch publication about something that happened a dozen years ago demands investigation (so long as it means investigating an (R) )

But Dozens of Murdoch publications about something that happened a year and half ago (that might look at a (D) ) is all part of a snooze-inducing witch hunt.

I never read you for quite that naked a partisan. But hey, to each his own.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #865
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
does the number of American casualties count?
Apparently not, since you're counting incidents with Zero.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #866
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
So a Murdoch publication about something that happened a dozen years ago demands investigation (so long as it means investigating an (R) )

But Dozens of Murdoch publications about something that happened a year and half ago (that might look at a (D) ) is all part of a snooze-inducing witch hunt.

I never read you for quite that naked a partisan. But hey, to each his own.
Again, if the accusations were true, is it worth investigating? Simple question.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #867
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Again, if the accusations were true, is it worth investigating? Simple question.
How do you establish one way or the other without investigating?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #868
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 79,488

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

My uncle, President John F. Kennedy's Pulitzer Prize winning best-seller Profiles in Courage recounted the stories of courageous U.S. Senators -- Republicans and Democrats -- who chose patriotism over partisanship and sacrificed personal ambition to national welfare. The GOP's recent efforts to gin up presidential scandals in punitive hearings, media lynchings, and weekly calls for impeachment, evince a party-wide pathology that puts partisanship over patriotism. For Republicans who believe that patriotism ends with lapel pins and cowboy costumes, it might be useful to consider some historical examples of true patriotism by a political party.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert...b_5353757.html


Closing paragraph: That was an era when patriotic politicians put their country's interest above their narrow political agendas, a time when politics was an honorable profession and the men who wielded gavels loved their country more than they loved power.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 05-20-2014 at 08:17 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #869
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,285

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
they were warned by the Clinton admin, dubya's admin failed to act.
Even more BS. Clinton's admin didn't believe that Osama (Al-Qaeda), the Taliban, or Chechen rebels had the ability to pull of anything like that. That is why the DIA's warning's about a possible attempt performing the exact same thing in Frankfurt in 2000 was disregarded.

Once again. This was not a failure of an administration but the failure of bureaucracy. There was no way that the way the different departments and organizations filtered data that they could effectively communicate with each other.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #870
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,089

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

BS! Clinton did believe he was capable because it had already been proven in 1993 that they could pull it off. Clinton was ridiculed by republicans for attempting to kill OBL in 1998. You're being either completely naive or completely ignorant in thinking GWB &Co. Didn't screw up in not taking the warning seriously.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #871
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 79,488

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
BS! Clinton did believe he was capable because it had already been proven in 1993 that they could pull it off. Clinton was ridiculed by republicans for attempting to kill OBL in 1998. You're being either completely naive or completely ignorant in thinking GWB &Co. Didn't screw up in not taking the warning seriously.
Right Wingers are like the Chinese: If they don't like history, they rewrite it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #872
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Right Wingers are like the Chinese: If they don't like history, they rewrite it.
Just keep chokin' that party chicken, Roh.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4540958/ns...opportunities/
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #873
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 79,488

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Just keep chokin' that party chicken, Roh.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4540958/ns...opportunities/
Amazing how you post these ambiguous articles thinking that they somehow bolster your limp arguments. I'm guessing it's a failure of reading comprehension. If anything, the article disputes your point.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #874
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
How do you establish one way or the other without investigating?
Avoidance.

Again, if the accusations were true, is it worth investigating? Simple question.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #875
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Avoidance.

Again, if the accusations were true, is it worth investigating? Simple question.
It's not avoidance. You're violating the definitional premise of your own question.

If you're sure something is true, there's no point in "investigating" it.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Denver Broncos