The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kapri Bibbs
Default This Defense is NASTY

With all the hoopla over lManning, hardly anybody seems to notice outside of Denver how good this defense is. #1 in the NFL against the rush, it's big in the line, has speed to burn and depth all over the field with play makers everywhere. I'm impressed with this linebacking corp especially. Does anyone even remember that Stuart Bradley is supposed to be the starting MLB? No way Woodyard goes back to the outside. These guys are fast, aggressive hitters who range sideline to sideline supported by a secondary that can cover as well as hit. This is by far the best Denver D I've seen in years, and we are still without Champ and Miller. The Raiders had no ground game other than Pryor on a couple runs, none.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brendan Langley

They need to play a complete game. I hated to see Pryor have room to throw like he did at times last night. Obviously pass rush plays a part in that and will get better once we get ****head back.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

They are fast for sure. I just hope they dont slow down by December. They will need that speed when the big boys play late in the year and in January
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Yes, agreeed. Some of the most consistent defensive play in Denver since Del Rio arrived. If we had a fewer mistakes in the running game ... the stat figures would look even better.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Broncos D don't care, Broncos D don't give a ****.

Ewwwhhh, it's so NASTY!!
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

We fans have been begging for a pair of DTs for years, and now we finally have them. Big Vick and Pork Chop are dominating the LOS, eating up blockers, and allowing our speedy LBs to run free and make plays. Can't wait to see what we can do when we get Von and Champ back.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Trevathan, Ihenacho, Malik Jackson, DRC and Terence Knighton have really upgraded this defense.

Irving has started to play well in run support but his coverage is not there yet. Ayers is also generating pressure from his side and was being held constantly in the game.

But with Champ and Von back this is an elite defense.

About the only guy that's really been disapointing is Derek Wolfe. Third straight game without any real pressure on the QB.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wonder if the hit he took is in his head a bit?

I like Irving to definiately gonna be sad to see him back on the bench.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I wonder if the hit he took is in his head a bit?I like Irving to definiately gonna be sad to see him back on the bench.
Maybe, but I'm just talking about the basics here. Wolfe hasn't shown the sudden, explosive movement you need to have to rush the QB. He just doesn't play like a fast, athletic DL but a strong and stout run defender who won't get rolled back and plays with a lot of motor.

I thought a full offseason working on his conditioning and lower body strength could get more burst out of him but right now he really looks more like a base down run defender than pass rusher.

Malik Jackson has really started playing into Wolfe's snaps.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Maybe, but I'm just talking about the basics here. Wolfe hasn't shown the sudden, explosive movement you need to have to rush the QB. He just doesn't play like a fast, athletic DL but a strong and stout run defender who won't get rolled back and plays with a lot of motor.

I thought a full offseason working on his conditioning and lower body strength could get more burst out of him but right now he really looks more like a base down run defender than pass rusher.

Malik Jackson has really started playing into Wolfe's snaps.
I'm gonna guess last night speaking they wanted to contain Pryor in the pocket and make him beat us with the arm.
What frustrated me is the snap over Pryors head. Denver didn't crash on it.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

I am not buying into this defense being nasty just yet. I will say they are finally playing a downhill style where the DC puts them in position to make plays and the gameplans have been spot on to stop the scheme's they have faced.

What I do not see yet is them winning the one on one battles everywhere that truly makes a defense nasty and impossible to game plan against or exploit matchups. I do think getting Champ and Von back would elevate the pass rush and coverage enough to take them to the nasty level. You can see how the defense is evolving right now, and those 2 will fit right into the development and make it much better and hopefully more of a turnover machine as well.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I am not buying into this defense being nasty just yet.
Agree. When you're 30th in pass defense you have room to improve. I suppose part of that is "garbage time", and part of it is missing Von. But we seem to make some coverage mistakes and give up some big plays every game. Need to clean that up.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree. When you're 30th in pass defense you have room to improve. I suppose part of that is "garbage time", and part of it is missing Von. But we seem to make some coverage mistakes and give up some big plays every game. Need to clean that up.
part is missing von and big part is being #1 vs run and scoring, teams HAVE to throw therefore passing def #'s will be skewed
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
OrangeCrush2724
Bronco Pride!

We need a DRC appreciation thread. The guy has been shutting everybody down!
OrangeCrush2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well well. Broncos fans making fun of Chiefs fans for saying their D was good and they did the same exact thing.

Go figure
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #16
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Well well. Broncos fans making fun of Chiefs fans for saying their D was good and they did the same exact thing.

Go figure
Show me one post where any bronco fan compared them to the 2000 ravens.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

Go figure
Just reread the first two pages and more Broncos fans don't agree it is Elite or nasty. While there is some talk of the defensive line being great or really good, it wasn't like the **** we heard from you Chiefs' fans that bragged about their defense like it was equal (or better) than the 2000 Ravens.

We had some hype from the fans but nothing concrete throughout the fanbase.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #18
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Go figure
No reread the thread and you will see there were plenty of us that thought it was smoke in the mirrors. Now KC fans all thought their D was the best since 2000 Ravens. You got passed when I said they weren't as good as Carolina or Seattle. Keep trying to bring other fans down to KC level of ineptness.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #19
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:

Go figure
Except no one said it was the 2000 Ravens defense which all of your fanbase pretty much did.

Horrible point, Dud.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

They had three sacks on a very mobile QB...perhaps the best in the league right now with his feet (based on three games). They had a red zone stop. They had several big, clean, hits (one knocking Pryor out of the game). They're looking for the strip or the INT.

The other teams are pro's too. This is a very good defense and fun to watch. I, for one, remember the very recent times when I held my breath we Denver was on defense and was happy when they didn't give up a TD.

They (Woodyard and the team) agree that they have improvement to be what they are capable of, but many of you are spoiled, whiny b****es.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Where do you not see them winning one on ones? I see them winning one on ones at every position on a regular basis.
In the run game, no question they are Charlie Sheen winning on most plays!

However, they are not winning on pass plays very often up front without blitz scheme to pressure the QB and even on the back end they have made some major errors and simply been beaten in man coverages too often from what I have seen. Pryor is not quite very good yet and he still had time to make plays in the passing game and had several open players available even if he missed a bunch early with poor throws.

Sure, losing Carter and Nacho hurt in the second half, but Adams and Moore had major communication issues and Trevathan got beat several times in man by the TE Rivera on blitzes.

I guess your definition of regular basis may be different than mine here, but not enough plays are being made in the passing game to call them nasty right now...
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...and simply been beaten in man coverages too often...
Made Denarius Moore (who?!?) look good last night. Need to clean it up or the Eagles will bust some big plays on us this Sunday.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Made Denarius Moore (who?!?) look good last night. Need to clean it up or the Eagles will bust some big plays on us this Sunday.
The other team gets paid too...they will make plays. But that long TD was a fluke. A nice 15-17 yard gain that turned into a 70 yarder because we went full retard
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
But that long TD was a fluke.
The getting soundly beat part wasn't a fluke. But yes, the part where the defenders ran into each other and fell down allowing a long TD was a bit flukey.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #25
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
In the run game, no question they are Charlie Sheen winning on most plays!

However, they are not winning on pass plays very often up front without blitz scheme to pressure the QB and even on the back end they have made some major errors and simply been beaten in man coverages too often from what I have seen. Pryor is not quite very good yet and he still had time to make plays in the passing game and had several open players available even if he missed a bunch early with poor throws.

Sure, losing Carter and Nacho hurt in the second half, but Adams and Moore had major communication issues and Trevathan got beat several times in man by the TE Rivera on blitzes.

I guess your definition of regular basis may be different than mine here, but not enough plays are being made in the passing game to call them nasty right now...
We played contain with him last night tried to have him beat us in the pocket through the air. No pressure means people will get open and Pryor took advantage of that.