The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #1176
BroncosfanGuy
don't drink and post

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Seattle receiving corps > Carolina.
if only Newton was passing to Doug Baldwin and Cooper Helfet instead of Kelvin Benjamin and Greg Olsen tonight. right?
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #1177
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Will Parks

Newton sucks. I also think we need to re-evaluate how great Nick Foles is.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 AM   #1178
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

I thought Cam was going to be huge after his rookie year. I can't believe how good he was then and how bad he sucks now..... amazing.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #1179
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Newton sucks. I also think we need to re-evaluate how great Nick Foles is.
Chip Kelley may be the best coach in the NFL. He's top 3 IMO.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #1180
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He's always sucked.

As a person and a player.
This.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #1181
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Chip Kelley may be the best coach in the NFL. He's top 3 IMO.
Yup, he's up there. But, to the extent you have to give the coordinators some of the credit, their D and special teams are also a huge part of their success.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #1182
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

I love watching Newton play. He's still figuring some things out obviously, but the size/athleticism/arm accuracy combo is just mind blowing. He might not have that football genius IQ thing that top tier quarterbacks have, but when he gets locked in for stretches he's impossible to stop. There's no other quarterback out there who can shrug off a tackle attempt by a 265 lb defensive end, elude a blitzing safety with his speed, and then throw a 40 yard frozen rope accurate pass 40 yards down field while on the run. When it comes together for him, its breathtaking beautiful.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #1183
GreatBronco16
Ring of Famer

Deadbeat Coach

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
I love watching Newton play. He's still figuring some things out obviously, but the size/athleticism/arm accuracy combo is just mind blowing. He might not have that football genius IQ thing that top tier quarterbacks have, but when he gets locked in for stretches he's impossible to stop. There's no other quarterback out there who can shrug off a tackle attempt by a 265 lb defensive end, elude a blitzing safety with his speed, and then throw a 40 yard frozen rope accurate pass 40 yards down field while on the run. When it comes together for him, its breathtaking beautiful.
Big Ben says hello.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #1184
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
He's a slightly better Vince Young.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #1185
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Big Ben says hello.
Big Ben is the closest comparison, except Newton is stronger, faster, and more elusive, and hasn't raped anyone. He wasn't a big numbers guy early in his career either -- his team's success was about defense and gritty clutch play on offense. A lot like the Panthers were last year.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #1186
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Coincidentally, that happens almost exclusively when they're down 2+ scores
They were 12-4 last season.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #1187
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Even more coincidentally matching my point: that was his worse statistical season to date.

PS. A losing record every other year.
In terms of efficiency, 2013 was his best year, and obviously in terms of wins it was his best year as well. They were like 6-0 in close games. Carolina has issues up and down their roster this year, and they were coming off a 2-14 season when Newton was drafted. Don't pretend that they are some stacked team being held back by mediocre quarterback play.

Anyways, I'm not arguing that he's an elite quarterback in the league or even top 10. I'm just saying that he's always fun to watch and occasionally mind blowing.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #1188
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
He's a slightly better Vince Young.
Apart from 2006, Vince Young never made the sort of jaw dropping plays that Newton manages to make pretty consistently. They are on different levels as professional quarterbacks. Newton will almost certainly have a long career as a starter, whereas Young showed early and often and he was not up to it.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #1189
Broncomutt
The person you eat

may be somebody's mother

Local Charlotte sports talk radio keeps talking about how the organization has failed Cam Newton. He needs more talent around him.

Where have I heard that before?
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #1190
maven
#stormingback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
Local Charlotte sports talk radio keeps talking about how the organization has failed Cam Newton. He needs more talent around him.

Where have I heard that before?
He's just not very good.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #1191
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

BBW's HMU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Newton wasn't good but to be fair the panthers may have the worst oline in football
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #1192
bronco militia
made a business decision"

I don't really care for him, but Cam has a bad wheel and is playing under a GM that spent the entire offseason undermining the roster.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #1193
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Newton has his issues, clearly, but let's not get carried away by saying the Panthers have a good defense even with the offense not helping much. They're 25th in yards allowed, 29th in points allowed, 23rd against the rush and pass. Not including last night's game their D was 24th in FO's DVOA metric. "Pretty stacked", lol.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #1194
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Surprised with Rivera having a bad defense. He was a great D.C. for the Chargers. I do feel for Cam. Being sacked 9 times in a blowout and he probably wanted to finish the game and not be saved. Dude has got to be sore today. In Chicago, Cutler would ask to be pulled and start the blame game. At least Cam stuck around and did end up getting two touchdowns and getting over 300 yards. Normally an answer would be "garbage time stats" but he was killed 9 times and not including knockdown.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #1195
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No, but they've got a pretty stacked defense that gets little help from their QB.

As for "coming off a 2-14 season"... that was with Jimmy Clausen. Teebs had a much more dramatic turnaround for the then floundering Broncos, and frankly only gets **** on for it because Cam's spiral is prettier.
Tebow gets pooped on because he is too self centered and frankly can't throw a football. You may think Cam sucks but he is 100x better than Tebow.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #1196
Gort
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Tebow gets pooped on because he is too self centered and frankly can't throw a football. You may think Cam sucks but he is 100x better than Tebow.
you're right!

it's really selfish of him to visit sick kids in hospitals so many days out of the year.

and building that orphanage in the Phillipines is literally the definition of self-centered.

he's basically the worst human being ever.

i'm sick of him being nice to people and treating them well. the world needs FEWER people like him! *angry, shakes fist*

/sarc
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #1197
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Surprised with Rivera having a bad defense. He was a great D.C. for the Chargers. I do feel for Cam. Being sacked 9 times in a blowout and he probably wanted to finish the game and not be saved. Dude has got to be sore today. In Chicago, Cutler would ask to be pulled and start the blame game. At least Cam stuck around and did end up getting two touchdowns and getting over 300 yards. Normally an answer would be "garbage time stats" but he was killed 9 times and not including knockdown.
They are still paying for the terrible Marty Hurney era personnel decisions. Half their cap is devoted to running backs who can't stay healthy so they are stuck with replacement level talent and too many positions and paper-thin depth. Rivera has shown he can build middle-caliber talent into a strong defense, but coaching has its limits when your players suck.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #1198
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
you're right!

it's really selfish of him to visit sick kids in hospitals so many days out of the year.

and building that orphanage in the Phillipines is literally the definition of self-centered.

he's basically the worst human being ever.

i'm sick of him being nice to people and treating them well. the world needs FEWER people like him! *angry, shakes fist*
I'm talking in football and not off the field. Tebow likes to act like he is this big team guy but it is all about him. If it wasn't he would've switched positions or wouldn't have been the only 3rd string QB that does press conferences.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 11-11-2014 at 11:22 AM..
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #1199
Rabb
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'm talking in football and not off the field. Tebow likes to act like he is this big team guy but it is all about him. If it wasn't he would of switched positions or wouldn't of been the only 3rd string QB that does press conferences.
I feel like you are combining him being a good kid, with being a prideful idiot when it comes to his football world.

I would put him last on the selfish list.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #1200
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

HoFer

Quote:
I'm talking in football and not off the field. Tebow likes to act like he is this big team guy but it is all about him. If it wasn't he would of switched positions or wouldn't of been the only 3rd string QB that does press conferences.
Hard to argue with this. If he was serious he'd try to go play in Canada for a few years to prove he can be a good QB.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote